UnevenEdge

Yall think another console could enter the market in a future generation or will sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft hold the market forever?

SwimModSponges

I remember some years back there was talk and rumor about Sega getting back into the console business, but that shit ain't ever gonna happen. They're far more successful as game publishers than they'd be if they did consoles again. Not just that, but making a console is insanely expensive. Just in R&D MS, Sony, and Nintendo can easily spend over a hundred mil just developing the console, and when it comes to mass production that'd also be insanely expensive. Especially considering typically for most of a typical consoles lifespan the parent companies lose money for each console sold. I don't know what the numbers are now, but I remember back with the 7th gen there was talk about how Sony lost between $15-40 (don't remember how much) for each console sold, this being before Sony started making paid subscriptions mandatory. It wasn't until the last couple of years of the consoles lifespan that they started making a lot more since the hardware and the revisions they made made the cost lower that they started profiting more.

Also when it comes to Sega, they don't stand a chance. Sony is a major global conglomerate, so they can handle the cost of everything involved in making a console. MS also being a major global conglomerate. Nintendo is the only one of the three that's a video game company that started out as an entertainment company, but they have billions of Mario and Pokemon dollars keeping them going.

Edited by Distinct Lunatic

Apple technically already released a game console called the Pippin back in the 90s and it was discontinued within a year of launch. They could do something again, though. 

I would say given the success of Xbox Game Pass, I imagine Microsoft may stop releasing consoles soon. In fact, I think they're going to license out Game Pass or a similar service to other companies, possibly for other consoles, but for other devices. They're already kinda doing that, anyways. 

Much like standalone mp3 players, I don't think standalone consoles will be around too much longer. It's just a few companies selling specialized hardware to run proprietary software (and the gauntlet of multiplatform stuff like apps and games). I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of Nintendo Switch style setup got popular where we can carry all our games with us on a mobile or smaller device and then sync back up with a larger one or our TV. Game consoles, even Nintendo's, all have streaming services of some kind available. Sony and Microsoft especially want you to use your console as an entertainment hub, alongside it being for video games. Shit, we might even see subscription services for games roll into some Netflix type service soon, like a digital only Gamefly, and you have competing services for multiple platforms. 

Doesn't seem smart to make a traditional console much longer, so I doubt anything major will appear on the scene, lest of all from a company outside the big three. Licensing games to stream on different platforms is they way we're headed.  

1 hour ago, GunStarHero said:

Apple technically already released a game console called the Pippin back in the 90s and it was discontinued within a year of launch. They could do something again, though. 

I would say given the success of Xbox Game Pass, I imagine Microsoft may stop releasing consoles soon. In fact, I think they're going to license out Game Pass or a similar service to other companies, possibly for other consoles, but for other devices. They're already kinda doing that, anyways. 

Much like standalone mp3 players, I don't think standalone consoles will be around too much longer. It's just a few companies selling specialized hardware to run proprietary software (and the gauntlet of multiplatform stuff like apps and games). I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of Nintendo Switch style setup got popular where we can carry all our games with us on a mobile or smaller device and then sync back up with a larger one or our TV. Game consoles, even Nintendo's, all have streaming services of some kind available. Sony and Microsoft especially want you to use your console as an entertainment hub, alongside it being for video games. Shit, we might even see subscription services for games roll into some Netflix type service soon, like a digital only Gamefly, and you have competing services for multiple platforms. 

Doesn't seem smart to make a traditional console much longer, so I doubt anything major will appear on the scene, lest of all from a company outside the big three. Licensing games to stream on different platforms is they way we're headed.  

i know thats where they been trying to push for, and will probably be there eventually, its hard to imagine the traditional console getting replaced even after the next gen. the gaming experience relys heavily on being able to play without any interruptions. streaming still feels a ways off to give that experience. i can see most gamers rejecting it until it provides that lagless experience. 

31 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i know thats where they been trying to push for, and will probably be there eventually, its hard to imagine the traditional console getting replaced even after the next gen. the gaming experience relys heavily on being able to play without any interruptions. streaming still feels a ways off to give that experience. i can see most gamers rejecting it until it provides that lagless experience. 

See I think that's where the Stadia failed immensely, Sony dropped the ball, and Microsoft figured it out (sorta). You download the game while you have the service to play it, so it isn't being streamed pixel by pixel and pissing you off. I say sorta cause beyond the Xbox One itself, idk how reliable Game Pass is on the phone/tablet/PC. I had lots of issues with it even working on PC. 

11 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

See I think that's where the Stadia failed immensely, Sony dropped the ball, and Microsoft figured it out (sorta). You download the game while you have the service to play it, so it isn't being streamed pixel by pixel and pissing you off. I say sorta cause beyond the Xbox One itself, idk how reliable Game Pass is on the phone/tablet/PC. I had lots of issues with it even working on PC. 

those workarounds still have their own issues as you state. but once they do figure it out, i can see the big console makers providing streaming services on any streaming device. they will probably all provide their own device, but you can get those services outside their own devices like apple tv. kinda crazy to think about a company like nintendo moving towards streaming. 

2 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

those workarounds still have their own issues as you state. but once they do figure it out, i can see the big console makers providing streaming services on any streaming device. they will probably all provide their own device, but you can get those services outside their own devices like apple tv. kinda crazy to think about a company like nintendo moving towards streaming. 

I don't see why, in a few years time, we won't start seeing game streaming services on our cable boxes or something similar. Maybe even just integrated into a TV/monitor. 

If anyone would continue making consoles long after they were the big thing, it would be Nintendo. They've always been to the beat of their drum kinda people. 

On 9/22/2020 at 2:02 AM, GunStarHero said:

I don't see why, in a few years time, we won't start seeing game streaming services on our cable boxes or something similar. Maybe even just integrated into a TV/monitor. 

If anyone would continue making consoles long after they were the big thing, it would be Nintendo. They've always been to the beat of their drum kinda people. 

nintendo still has that handheld niche and i can see them holding strong since they stopped caring a long time ago about chasing high end graphics. but they should also be jumping in on this too, at least for retro gaming. so they could offer it as a tie in for an online subscription with their main system and also offer it to like other platforms. 

but yeah i know its a matter of time. till we see microsoft bring something big. 

I could see companies that delve into mobile OS’s like Apple or Samsung getting into the console market and bring OS games or portable experiences to homes. They’d probably be the only two I could think of that could get away with it without having the stink that comes from opportunistic multimillion dollar media companies that only dabble in hardware like Google, Amazon, or Facebook.

There’s also the stink that comes from companies wealthy enough to afford creating their own console like EA, Activision, Rockstar, Ubisoft. It’d be more of a joke to suggest buying a console from them with their internal dilemmas and the fuckery they dole out to consumers that already know what they can do with video games. 

On 9/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

nintendo still has that handheld niche and i can see them holding strong since they stopped caring a long time ago about chasing high end graphics. but they should also be jumping in on this too, at least for retro gaming. so they could offer it as a tie in for an online subscription with their main system and also offer it to like other platforms. 

but yeah i know its a matter of time. till we see microsoft bring something big. 

Nintendo could put out a subscription-only console/handheld that exclusively runs emulated Nintendo games of yore and make bank.