UnevenEdge

Toonami loses Midnight Hour to Adult Swim Music Presents: Run The Jewels 4 on 10/17

OwlChemist81

Well, if that's the case, then they should do the following:

1. Make this part of Toonami

2. Expand Toonami to 11:30 PM

3. Don't bother to play Dragon Ball Super that night

I mean, that's what a SMART network would do, right??

Really, this is the dumbest possible way [as] could market this. The idea of calling it "Midnight Run The Jewels" is just begging for it to be part of Toonami!

And I'll bet the special is packed with action too. Just why, [as], why??

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, elfie said:

Officially?

We have no idea if this will be a regular thing yet. I doubt it, given how the goal of this particular hour is to get people to vote in the election, which won't last for long.

This will be a one night thing. No reason to assume Toonami is giving up midnight for a while.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elfie said:

Officially?

We have no idea if this will be a regular thing yet. I doubt it, given how the goal of this particular hour is to get people to vote in the election, which won't last for long.

The tweet in the first post literally says this is a special performance. It's no different than the block being hijacked for Batman movies and isn't a permanent change.

• Like 3

This is a novel idea, but focusing the special around the idea of getting people to vote when so many companies are also parroting that advice makes it come off as forced. They must really be banking on Toonami viewers liking RTJ or Ben and Jerry's (which, admittedly, I'm a huge fan of) so they'll watch this.

It's currently meant to be a one-time thing because this year has been a shitshow in more ways than one and getting people out to vote is one way to hopefully start turning that around. It also ties in with recent messages regarding BLM, racism and not being bullying dicks in general that have run on Toonami. 

Personally, I think they should have scheduled it for the hour before Toonami and leave the rest of the schedule alone because if you haven't seen whatever episodes of 'Family Guy' are airing at that time, you've been living with the Amish for the past x years. But I'm guessing they need to milk that show as much as they can before they lose it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blatch said:

This is a novel idea, but focusing the special around the idea of getting people to vote when so many companies are also parroting that advice makes it come off as forced. They must really be banking on Toonami viewers liking RTJ or Ben and Jerry's (which, admittedly, I'm a huge fan of) so they'll watch this.

That said, I think this may be benefitial because, and I'm only saying this as an observation, Adult Swim is aiming at younger audiences who are undecided and/or non-conformist, and this hour may make them think about voting for the right decision.

In the end, though, this is clearly yet another type of experiment that DeMarco is enacting right along with playing two weekends of Batman movies in order to plug a virtual convention. This is anything to fill out the gaps between the delays in acquisitions caused by the pandemic.

Edited by elfie

2 hours ago, Ginguy said:

I think DeMarco got told "We're doing Batman movies to promo the convention.".

This event seems more like a vanity project that screams "I'm still relevant".

A series of shorter AMV style promotions between shows would probably have worked better.

The Batman movies fit the block a lot better.  Toonami has had a history with DC stuff and I was asking for those films for years.

This for better or worse seems like something DeMarco reached out to do.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed the Batman movies. I think they were a good fit and a good use of Toonami time.

This music thing is DeMarco being vain and honestly it reminds me of cringe MTV "Vote or Die" type nonsense.

Of course, I'm on the record as saying that Toonami should stay away from politics because it will naturally alienate 40-50% of the audience, an audience that is none to big to begin with.

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

16 hours ago, Quackers said:

How does telling people to vote alienate 50% of their audience?

apparently some people can't admit this pandemic has been such a dumpster fire due to piss poor leadership

the same people who will throw a tantrum and threaten to beat people up simply because a store asked them to wear a mask

the same people who will swear up and down that attack on titan isn't a political series

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

apparently some people can't admit this pandemic has been such a dumpster fire due to piss poor leadership

the same people who will throw a tantrum and threaten to beat people up simply because a store asked them to wear a mask

the same people who will swear up and down that attack on titan isn't a political series

the same people in any photo of an endless sea of teeny tiny dots with the occasional red dot signifying a MAGA cap, that you can look up IN ANY SEARCH ENGINE ONLINE RIGHT NOW.

A SEA of people!

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2020 at 8:32 PM, elfie said:

That said, I think this may be benefitial because, and I'm only saying this as an observation, Adult Swim is aiming at younger audiences who are undecided and/or non-conformist, and this hour may make them think about voting for the right decision.

In the end, though, this is clearly yet another type of experiment that DeMarco is enacting right along with playing two weekends of Batman movies in order to plug a virtual convention. This is anything to fill out the gaps between the delays in acquisitions caused by the pandemic.

Speaking of nonconformism, I wonder if said audiences are likely to realize that this election involves a sitting president who might not agree to a peaceful transfer of power. If it's close enough and Trump decides to call bullshit on the election results, voting will have amounted to jack squat. Frankly, I feel like it would be a better use of our time if all these companies telling us to go out and vote called for more drastic measures, like nonstop civil protest and jamming the gears of the system to a halt. But I doubt they'll ever do that, because it'll impact their yearly profits for some reason. 😐

So yeah, this feels like a means to an end that isn't particularly satisfying. And it's egregious for DeMarco because he's a fairly vocal leftist. More to the left of the majority of TV executives, anyway.

God damn it Demarco, nobody wants to hear your friends' shitty music.  And when they say go out and vote, they really mean go vote for who we support.

But at least it is just pushing the block back and not taking anything off for a week.  Staying up later is no issue for me since I do that anyways.  Though I am surprised they didn't do that since it would buy time for dubbing some of the shows.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, Sketch said:

On the contrary. I suspect DeMarco wanted to do this and his bosses said he could only do it on Saturday during Toonami time.

Yup, Demarco is literally getting to Vince McMahon levels of senseless and possibly senile business and creative decisions.  And he's not even in his 70s!

Edited by ben0119
  • Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

No, he's forcing his friends shitty music on us so we can be enlightened from our plebian heathen stupor.  Behold what our tastemaker has bestowed upon us!

Yeah, well if that IS the case, not giving Super a break, moving everything up 30 minutes instead of an hour, and making this RTJ special an actual part of Toonami, may be one of his most baffling decisions ever.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 6:59 PM, CountFrylock said:

so now according to twitter the event has been pushed back to 10/17  so toonami on 10/10 will start at it's regular time

10/17 toonami however will not and be pushed back to make way for the event

Uh, can we have actual proof of this?

There, I posted the actual link with embed -

Edited by ben0119