UnevenEdge

chili time

wacky1980

it got down to 40F overnight on friday night, so chili season has started. made my first batch of the year this morning. here's my completely average and not difficult recipe.

this is the easy way with canned tomato products, but you can replace with fresh tomatoes and/or canned if you're crafty like that. and i use seasoning packets because it's quick and easy, but you can mix up your own. ingredients are not necessarily exact measurements:

2lb ground beef
2lb ground pork
a few red/green peppers (add poblanos for more flavor or a couple hot chilis for heat...but this is my mild, kid-friendly version)
a couple vidalia / sweet yellow onions
a few cloves garlic
2 big cans tomato sauce
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 cans ro-tel
1 big can chili beans
1-2 packets chili seasoning
1 can lager beer
peanut butter
cinnamon
brown sugar
red wine vinegar
various spices to taste (i use salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. and cayenne pepper if going hot)

dice peppers, onions, garlic. add oil to pan, heat, and saute diced veggies until soft. set aside. add pork / beef to pan, season to taste , brown & drain.

combine canned tomato products, meat, veggies, canned beans, chili seasoning in 3+ gallon stock pot. add 1/2 can beer, drink other half. bring to boil, reduce to simmer. add 1-2 tsp red wine vinegar, pinch of cinnamon, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and additional seasonings to taste. if too acidic/tomato heavy, add a couple tbsp peanut butter. simmer for 1+ hours, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.

serve with sprinkle of shredded cheddar, diced green onions, sour cream, or whatever you prefer. add a side of cornbread because chili & cornbread is damn tasty. 

btw, i'm stuffed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, resurrected said:

What? 

You don't like chili?

Mofo, you ain't never had my chili. 

I'm going to enter mine in a chili cook-off. 

I might have misinterpreted, but I think he's saying that chili is good any time.  I eat chili and soup any time of the year, but more soup because I'm health conscious like that.

Edited by scoobdog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, resurrected said:

What? 

You don't like chili?

Mofo, you ain't never had my chili. 

I'm going to enter mine in a chili cook-off. 

Who said I don't like chili? I am saying it don't need to be cold to enjoy chili or soup. Only the weak need it to be.

• Thanks 1

Disco likes beans in her chili, so we make a separate pot of beans, because I do not put beans in my chili. Nor do I use ground beef. I use stew beef. 

Growing up, I hated chili because my mom always used ground beef and kidney beans. I hated it. My grandfather is from San Antonio and told me about how they had chili when he was a kid. So, I ran with his concept. Now, I love chili. But only that way. 

Whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand. Why not just buy crushed? Because whole peeled tastes better in my opinion. Stew beef, onions, garlic, peppers, spices. Topped with sour cream, chives and cheese. 

Edited by resurrected

2 minutes ago, stilgar said:

Also, the fuck are chili beans?

usually kidney beans, with seasoning and whatnot added by manufacturer. can a guy use regular kidney beans and season them on his own? sure. but i said this was the easy recipe. i cut all the corners when i'm 2 hours from lunch and need to make a full batch. my cornbread was from a box too! 😲

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

usually kidney beans, with seasoning and whatnot added by manufacturer. can a guy use regular kidney beans and season them on his own? sure. but i said this was the easy recipe. i cut all the corners when i'm 2 hours from lunch and need to make a full batch. my cornbread was from a box too! 😲

Jiffy cornbread or get the fuck out, yo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i reworked the recipe to dump the beans and remove as many carbs as possible, since i'm on a FUCKING DIET and i'm trying really hard to eat <20 grams of carbs a day. ended up making a batch that clocked in at ~150 grams in 2 gallons of chili. assuming a person eats a pound of chili for a meal (yeah that's a lot, fuck you), that's around 10 grams per meal. YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT.