UnevenEdge

Kissanime permanently shut down as Japan tightens up piracy laws.

Jman

50 minutes ago, elfie said:

Cool! It was illegal anyway!

Even if I had all the money in the world, I refuse to give Funi so much as a penny. If it's an anime dubbed by Funimation, pirating it isn't an option, it's an obligation.

That said though I haven't watched anything on KA in a long time. The site has become so riddled with ads and pop ups. The only reason I went to them is for downloads, and the number of hosts they have to download from kept shrinking more and more as time went on.

That said though (x2) I don't even watch that much anime anymore, MHA is one of the few I follow. I'm much more annoyed by Kissmanga getting shut down since there were quite a few series there I followed, many were pretty niche.

Edited by Distinct Lunatic

I know the site was absolute ass, but there were times I admittedly used it because I was too lazy to wait for a torrent to download.  And blatant illegality aside, it kind of represented the original promise that streaming had, the idea of one single place where you could find literally anything you wanted to watch.  Compare it to the reality, which is like two dozen options of varying size and financial commitment, half of which you may not even realize exist.  Hell, I didn't know until yesterday that Viz is hosting a bunch of their series completely for free in both English and Japanese on their own site.  And I'm a pretty big nerd, so what chance do more casual viewers have to find this shit?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, elfie said:

Good luck in jail, all.

>implying watching shows through less-than-dubious but nonregulatory means will literally get you thrown in the clinker, even sarcastically

YOU'RE DUMB ELFIE
YOU'RE SO FUCKING DUMB
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ELFIE?
GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW DUMB YOU ARE

1597413618258.jpg

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, elfie said:

Cool! It was illegal anyway!

There are lots of manga that aren't the big named series that never get a localization. Not all manga are DBZ or MHA. There's a 30 year old mario manga that only just got a western localization in 2020. Then lots of games and manga have small side stories like Corpse Party Hysteric Birthday's manga which never got a western release. XSeed ended up making a VN for it which we did get...7 years after the fact.  Could you imagine if it took them 7 years to localize MHA? People would be justifying the fuck out of piracy if funimation said they're taking a 7 year hiatus on localizing the series. Hell series like Shippuden only ended 3 years ago and people already act like that show is a fossil from a bygone age. 

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Hell series like Shippuden only ended 3 years ago and people already act like that show is a fossil from a bygone age. 

My nephew will be 11 this year, and he thought Naruto was a very recent thing and didn't believe me when I told him that series was made back in 2002 (the anime, not the manga)

1 minute ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

My nephew will be 11 this year, and he thought Naruto was a very recent thing and didn't believe me when I told him that series was made back in 2002 (the anime, not the manga)

When I was little I thought the Flintstones, Pop-eye, Scooby Doo, and the Smurfs were new shows. When you're a kid you don't really have a full grasp of things existing before you did. Not like I even had access to the internet until 2001. I remember when a friend told me about youtube, and I couldn't find it because I was looking up utube and browsers back then didn't account for people being fucking morons. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Good luck in jail, all.

Seeing as the people hosting the site simply received a DMCA and aren't in jail, I doubt anyone will be going to jail. It's like saying you're going to jail for watching those Shinigami cups omake on Youtube. It's no different. Adult Swim didn't show them. I don't even know if they were ever translated for the box sets as I've never seen them dubbed. So the only way to have ever watched them is to have lived in Japan and paid for a basic cable package, or pirated them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

When I was little I thought the Flintstones, Pop-eye, Scooby Doo, and the Smurfs were new shows. When you're a kid you don't really have a full grasp of things existing before you did. Not like I even had access to the internet until 2001. I remember when a friend told me about youtube, and I couldn't find it because I was looking up utube and browsers back then didn't account for people being fucking morons. 

I've always been into anime as a kid, though obviously I didn't know or care about what the stuff was called or where it came from. I remember being into Inuyasha back in 2003 or so (me being 10), that was back when AS showed a fair amount of anime on weeknights. AS didn't spread to Fridays yet. I legit thought they were the ones making these shows, and also thought they were completely making each episode on a weekly basis.

37 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

I've always been into anime as a kid, though obviously I didn't know or care about what the stuff was called or where it came from. I remember being into Inuyasha back in 2003 or so (me being 10), that was back when AS showed a fair amount of anime on weeknights. AS didn't spread to Fridays yet. I legit thought they were the ones making these shows, and also thought they were completely making each episode on a weekly basis.

I believe I thought that as well until I started reading Pojo magazines while my mom was shopping. Pretty much they'd have spoilers which made me realize that this stuff wasn't new; also was my intro to Dragonball even being a thing as all I knew was DBZ. I remember being shocked though to find out that DBZ had ended for over a decade before we even wrapped up the cell saga. Even when Adult Swim aired Evangelion in 2005. I had no idea that the show came out when I was 6. Also my mind seems to have blanked on giant robot week. I remember the bumper with the robot moving the buildings, but I can't remember sitting down and watching anything in-particular.

26 minutes ago, elfie said:

Jesus Christ.

For the record, all legal ways to watch anime has worked for me. But i suppose it depends on what equipment you have and what devices you use to play them.

Or some people simply don't want to pay for any service.

There's a misconception where people think someone pirating something always equals loss of profit.

While that can apply to some people, there exists a large amount of folks that had no interest in buying it to begin with. If you somehow managed to take away all illegitimate means of seeing something, many folks will just move on, since they didn't plan on buying it in the first place.

On that same note, to some degree I support pirating games, with some conditions. I buy and refund games all the time on Steam, a large percentage of my purchases I end up getting refunded simply because it doesn't interest me like I thought I would. At the same time though, quite a bit of games that I have bought and kept were because I pirated them and tried them out first. Papers Please is an example of a game that I pirated and played through like 3 times or so, and still ended up buying it and playing it. The second South Park game is another one I remember pirating and beating, and then bought it and played through it again.

Not saying piracy isn't wrong, but don't think for a second that piracy guarantees loss of profit. Hell, even back when I used to buy anime; season 1 of MHA I bought after watching it online for free. Same for Noragami, as well as Steins;gate. The first four seasons of Bleach I own on DVD after watching the shit for free online. There's some others I have, bought all of them because I watched them online and liked them.

That said, don't know why I'm laying this all out. You're Elfie.

Edited by Distinct Lunatic

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 5:56 PM, elfie said:

Jesus Christ.

For the record, all legal ways to watch anime has worked for me. But i suppose it depends on what equipment you have and what devices you use to play them.

The only real argument I've seen in favor of piracy that I can somewhat agree with is that a lot of countries don't make anime and whatever available and have no plans to localize it or distribute it legally. But at the end of the day, anime isn't a right; it's a privilege and a service that a lot of people worked hard to create and they deserve payment for their work. Like, you can't say "support artists" and then pirate anime. A lot of people would counterpoint to how anime studios really don't pay their artists and people fairly, taking advantage of their workers and have a very toxic work environment. But how does pirating change that? If anything that's more reason to support the shows you like legally any way you can, whether it's buying the streams or buying merchandise.

• Thanks 1