UnevenEdge
Quackers

Black Lives Matter and Police Brutality Discussion

Please discuss the ongoing protests and black lives matter movement.

Keep it civil.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Define crying, cunt?

Nice to see that you can follow the "Keep it civil" request that Quackers laid out.

I'm a bigger fan of police reform as opposed to defunding departments entirely. The problem is that too many cops have a "bully" mentality, and their job is the source of their own ego. Officers should be humble and not throw about their position as if it's a gold star. I think it's problematic that you can also score "too high" to be a police officer. Some areas actually choose people based on how intelligent they are, and they don't want someone who is more intelligent taking a position. In the cited article, it was stated that those who scored too high may become "bored" with the job. But how many people actually test this? I don't think they do...

Edited by Gyaos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gyaos said:

Nice to see that you can follow the "Keep it civil" request that Quackers laid out.

I'm a bigger fan of police reform as opposed to defunding departments entirely. The problem is that too many cops have a "bully" mentality, and their job is the source of their own ego. Officers should be humble and not throw about their position as if it's a gold star. I think it's problematic that you can also [url=https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-court-ruled-you-can-be-too-smart-to-be-a-cop/5420630]score "too high"[/url] to be a police officer. Some areas actually choose people based on how intelligent they are, and they don't want someone who is more intelligent taking a position. In the cited article, it was cited that those who scored too high may become "bored" with the job. But how many people actually test this? I don't think they do...

The problem is that their position is a gold star. It's absurd to expect people to hold a position of such power and stay humble. I'm open to being convinced of a reform that could somehow create an incentive to stay humble, but all I can think of is taking literally all of their authority away, which is basically just abolishing them. 

It's basically the Stanford prison experiment on a larger scale. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, KimopoBotar said:

The problem is that their position is a gold star. It's absurd to expect people to hold a position of such power and stay humble. I'm open to being convinced of a reform that could somehow create an incentive to stay humble, but all I can think of is taking literally all of their authority away, which is basically just abolishing them. 

If ne'err-do-wells are punished significantly enough, it'd keep them in check. Unfortunately, as we've seen, it took protests to get George Floyd's murderer any kind of charge.

I truly believe that some kind of change would happen if officers were expected to perform their duties as public servants. If it weren't enough after that, then I would actually agree with defunding departments. But again...I don't believe that any of them have even tried to.

For any other job, such as a chemist, or a physician, people would expect applicants to be ideal. The people that these departments hire are not ideal. They'll have one or two shining gems, but the rest look to pick fights. They can certainly do better that what they're doing right now.

Edited by Gyaos

Not sure if I said it before, but Camden already set the metric. Fire all the police, and they are welcome to reapply. The FBI was advising on a polygraph test to detect racist tendencies, which they said would be very easy to design. So get rid of them all and along with that polygraph test you hire cops from the community they live. No one from two towns over anymore. I want to hear a cop yell, "you better get your butt back home cause I know your mother and I'm damn sure she doesn't want me taking you home."

• Like 1

I honestly wasn't expecting Camden to come up in a positive light at all. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, stilgar said:

I honestly wasn't expecting Camden to come up in a positive light at all. 

I read a story, at what was once known as heroin alley police now hold movie nights for the community in a parking lot.

19 hours ago, Gyaos said:

If ne'err-do-wells are punished significantly enough, it'd keep them in check. Unfortunately, as we've seen, it took protests to get George Floyd's murderer any kind of charge.

I truly believe that some kind of change would happen if officers were expected to perform their duties as public servants. If it weren't enough after that, then I would actually agree with defunding departments. But again...I don't believe that any of them have even tried to.

For any other job, such as a chemist, or a physician, people would expect applicants to be ideal. The people that these departments hire are not ideal. They'll have one or two shining gems, but the rest look to pick fights. They can certainly do better that what they're doing right now.

How? How are you going to create a dynamic where the people with power act as if they have none and are beholden to the people over with they have power? Then, how do you maintain that? 

Better to divert resources from the police directly to the communities, and let them decide how or if to fill the various roles police fill. Make the police obsolete that way. 

• Like 2

Michigan county commissioner tom ekerle on why he won't wear a face mask-

"Well, this whole thing is because of them n****** down in Detroit,"

"I can say anything I want, Black Lives Matter has everything to do with taking the country away from us."

No, I don't regret calling it an n*****," Eckerle told IPR. "A n***** is a n***** is a n*****. That's not a person whatsoever."

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/08/07/900226393/not-a-person-whatsoever-michigan-county-official-defends-use-of-n-word

• Like 1

Been a couple months. Things seem quieter now. So. Was anything noteworthy actually accomplished?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Been a couple months. Things seem quieter now. So. Was anything noteworthy actually accomplished?

Not on any widespread, life changing level...No.

I sincerely believe a few people may have taken a closer look at the plight, but ultimately, cops have still been killing black people, Breonna Taylor's killers still roam the streets, and the media got bored.  So while there are still protests going on.....It's pretty much business as usual.  

• Like 1

Austin just cut their police budget by a third, there's movement starting in government but things are slow. Now that the DHS crisis is getting scrutiny I've been playing more video games and only reading a few stories a day.

LAPD is taking steps to meaningfully change, but whether the changes work is still kind of doubtful.

8 hours ago, rpgamer said:

5 hours ago, Radical Left said:

Not on any widespread, life changing level...No.

I sincerely believe a few people may have taken a closer look at the plight, but ultimately, cops have still been killing black people, Breonna Taylor's killers still roam the streets, and the media got bored.  So while there are still protests going on.....It's pretty much business as usual.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/george-floyd-protests-different-why/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/us/george-floyd-bodycam-footage-tou-thao/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/breonna-taylor-louisville-police/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/radio-stations-honor-breonna-taylor-trnd/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/health/states-racism-public-health-crisis-trnd/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/15/us/slavery-reparations-explanation-trnd/index.html

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari/watch/why-no-charges-in-breonna-taylor-s-killing-after-five-months-90037829874

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/13/portland-riot-tear-gas/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/dc-police-surround-protesters-in-adams-morgan-area/2020/08/14/f3970ff2-dddf-11ea-8051-d5f887d73381_story.html

You get the idea...

Media is still covering it. Media can't do everything. They can't make people share the stories and turn them into viral articles and videos that everyone reads. Election coverage as been light this year since there's not the usual campaign trail to follow. We're less than 3 months away. Coverage for that has to heat up. Kamala coverage stole the spotlight last week. Though the racist backlash against her is a hot topic within that.

I'm just saying... Maybe if you feel like it's quieting down, it's bc we are quieting down. Not the media. The media will report on what people want to hear about. That's the golden rule. There are breakthrough stories out of nowhere, but those are outliers, not the usual. That's why in movies the newspaper boss is always all skeptical and negative when the hero reporter walks and says "I've got a story that's gonna skyrocket your readership." Overall, the media reacts and follows interest. It doesn't "get bored" with stories. Honestly reporters and journalists prefer to keep making stories about the same topic bc they put time, effort, and research into it. Once nobody wants to hear about it anymore, work is lost bc someone comes in and tells you to stop what you're doing and hands you something else. New sources, new material. Everyone thinks it's the other way around but it's not. The media has inertia due to the human nature of work. We need to blame ourselves if an issue isn't getting the attention it deserves.

More is happening in government than you might think as well. In my opinion, not enough, but things did have an effect. That's proof to keep going w/this enthusiasm, not give up. It's not just chokehold laws either. I know california has introduced laws to create a reparations committee, repealing an affirmative action ban, and made it so victims of police violence can receive financial compensation even if there are no charges brought upon the individual police officers. The latter is what I'm most excited about. They say you need to hit people in their wallets, and that will. I've said there needs to be consequences for things to change. Ideally, the individuals need to be charged w/murder when appropriate so that there is reluctance to pull the trigger, but costing the institution money is a great way for training to be changed from the top down. And hopefully cops will be less likely to powertrip and rough people up if they think they'll just be giving the person a huge payout later.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

wow lol

Very insightful

Yeah, vaguely aware that there is some scattering of places at least looking like they'll make an effort. But, like, is there anything stopping them from just giving up on that and going back to status quo if things don't work out quick enough or just if nobody's really paying attention anymore? After everything that happened, or continues to happen, I feel like there needed to be a larger scale impact to see some positive change. The whole world got to watch how brutally dissidents are put down, and... nothing. Or, bare minimum. "Not enough" will keep happening. Small steps, I guess, but, none of it really feels like any sort of strong blow to the systemic racism.

Just feels like school shootings all over again. Lots of initial public outrage, nothing gets done about it, everything gets quiet until it happens again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Yeah, vaguely aware that there is some scattering of places at least looking like they'll make an effort. But, like, is there anything stopping them from just giving up on that and going back to status quo if things don't work out quick enough or just if nobody's really paying attention anymore? After everything that happened, or continues to happen, I feel like there needed to be a larger scale impact to see some positive change. The whole world got to watch how brutally dissidents are put down, and... nothing. Or, bare minimum. "Not enough" will keep happening. Small steps, I guess, but, none of it really feels like any sort of strong blow to the systemic racism.

Just feels like school shootings all over again. Lots of initial public outrage, nothing gets done about it, everything gets quiet until it happens again.

Something to keep in mind about the justice in policing act which a lot of people have criticized for being "not enough" since it only does chokeholds, no knock warrants, more money to investigate misconduct, and financial compensation for police brutality... it has to pass to be real. Nothing that's "enough" is going to pass thru a republican senate. W/conservative scotus, republican senate, all under the leadership of trump in the white house, what can you hope to accomplish at the federal level right now? 

And at the state level republicans control 30 state legislatures and have half the governors. So nothing is going to change at all in the midwest or the south. The northeast, IL,CO, NM, and the west coast have a chance to take action at the state lvl. I hope they take that chance, but I don't have a lot of faith bc there's no consensus on what "enough" would be. With liberals being so divided on what should be done, I don't think we're going to get much satisfaction. What exactly would "enough" be?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Poof said:

What exactly would "enough" be?

Yeah, that's what is happening in localities right now, people are trying to figure out what really needs to be done about this. There's enough people talking about it that good ideas are bound to crop up and through various strategies I think an overall framework of how we respond to some emergencies and defining how police oppression is removed will begin to form. 

And I think the model will spread by the nature of the cities themselves, cause when you see a nice looking city you want to take that home with you if it's better.

I think it's the idea that it's the government that could be holding us back from better progress that's contributing a lot to this malaise.

Seems like, sooner or later, the people will grow tired of asking for change, and start demanding it.

Alameda County Sheriff's office tells @CP24 "We 100% stand by original statement that was released that Mr. Ujiri is the aggressor in this incident...don't be quick to judge based off of what lawyers are saying."

On 8/7/2020 at 12:23 AM, KimopoBotar said:

That experiment was a load of horseshit. My friend went to CMU and some of her professors were his colleague. They said Zimbardo is an arrogant charlatan.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:23 PM, KimopoBotar said:

We're far from the only place with police but the rate of police violence here is significantly higher here than most places. The concept of police isn't inherently wrong, ours is just hot garbage that refuses to hold them accountable.

Just now, cyberbully said:

That was an execution.  They dumped on him.

Yah, no need for video there, I man, if they have it... but doesn't matter what was done or said, as the article kind of said a couple times... that was murder with malice... and they got their audience too.

The governor has strong words in there... i suppose he would have to... but, words don't mean shit...

9 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

Yah, no need for video there, I man, if they have it... but doesn't matter what was done or said, as the article kind of said a couple times... that was murder with malice... and they got their audience too.

The governor has strong words in there... i suppose he would have to... but, words don't mean shit...

There was a video in the link...Did it get taken down that fast?

I have a conservative roommate who I overheard talking about how systemic racism isn't real because he doesn't think cops are being trained specifically to kill black people.

Help.

3 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

There was a video in the link...Did it get taken down that fast?

Nevermind, you're right it was still there. Didn't see it on mobile....

1 minute ago, SwimModSponges said:

"We need to wait for the autopsy, he was probably killed by drugs"

As they say every single time.

Bucket isn't here anymore, he can't hurt you

Just now, SwimModSponges said:

A. Yes he is.

B. If you think its only people as vocally racist as bucket saying things like that...

Nah, but that was his go to

26 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5pnx9/a-disabled-black-man-was-shot-and-killed-while-asking-for-money-outside-trader-joes

This is fucking disgusting.

“In the South, in America, it is known that you do not talk to white women if you’re a Black male,” Thompson said. “That was his crime.”

If they put him in EBR Parish, he won't get out alive....EBR has a history for killing Nazis and Klans members....It's in one of the "blackest" parts of Baton Rouge.  That said, he'll be better off in Angola....If he catches any charges at all....Because Louisiana is corrupt af too.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Radical Left said:

If they put him in EBR Parish, he won't get out alive....EBR has a history for killing Nazis and Klans members....It's in one of the "blackest" parts of Baton Rouge.  That said, he'll be better off in Angola....If he catches any charges at all....Because Louisiana is corrupt af too.

They had video... and waited days to charge the dude.

They need to stop saying murder and just say execution

Edited by Sawdamizer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sawdamizer said:

They had video... and waited days to charge the dude.

They need to stop saying murder and just say execution

Yeah, I saw it happened on Saturday.  Who the hell shoots a panhandler anyway.

• Like 1

With increasing scrutiny I expected things to get more egregious, including the indignant response of police. What I am hoping for is that politicians seeing their police behave like punished children moves more places to start doing real work fixing the police. 

I'll probably look at various things around police reform this weekend. That should lead me to a few different rabbit holes.

• Like 2

I don’t like that the headline calls him a “juvenile”. Call him for what he is, a white supremacist.   PoS 17 yo from Illinois is thanked and given water by the police. PoS then kills BLM protesters shortly thereafter 

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3441684001

• Like 1