Jump to content
UnevenEdge
Sawdamizer

Sacha Cohen trolls right wing rednecks

Recommended Posts

Borat's "In My Country, There Is Problem" song now looks like a warning sign for how eager this audience was to jump straight to wanting to murder people they don't like in a number of outlandish ways he proposed to the crowd.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chapinator-800 said:

Borat's "In My Country, There Is Problem" song now looks like a warning sign for how eager this audience was to jump straight to wanting to murder people they don't like in a number of outlandish ways he proposed to the crowd.

I mean, there is the flip of this.... how scary the people are led.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if you remember the movie Borat, the lawsuits that came from that weren't because the people suing were coerced into saying what they said, it was the fact that they didn't know it was for a movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure who got trolled here.  If it wasn't Cohen singing that song, no one would be laughing.  He fed the audience what they wanted to hear, roused the rabble and got paid for it, just like any right wing grifter.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I'm not sure who got trolled here.  If it wasn't Cohen singing that song, no one would be laughing.  He fed the audience what they wanted to hear, roused the rabble and got paid for it, just like any right wing grifter.

Anyone else said it, you would have a Lynch mob, not a laughing audience.  It’s not like the sentiment existed only because someone spoke of it, and the likelihood is it would be pretext for a greater act of violence if SBC hadn’t diffused it as a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I'm not sure who got trolled here.  If it wasn't Cohen singing that song, no one would be laughing.  He fed the audience what they wanted to hear, roused the rabble and got paid for it, just like any right wing grifter.

I still feel that he could have accomplished what he needed without using words like "Wuhan flu" and "Saudis". This is only going by some of the footage though so I could have missed more because I wasn't gonna watch over 8 minutes of this. I'm not a Cohen fan, but he's useful. Bigots like this don't mind being made fools of on their own terms, but when they're manipulated like this, their crying is almost endless. It would be nice though if he can release nice clear quality footage of who all was at the event and singing along.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He gets people to sing a long to fucked up lyrics. Like that time, I think he was at a rodeo, he got people to sing the lyrics 

“throw the Jews down the well, so my country can be free” 
 

they sang it joyfully too 🤦‍♀️😆

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

He gets people to sing a long to fucked up lyrics. Like that time, I think he was at a rodeo, he got people to sing the lyrics 

“throw the Jews down the well, so my country can be free” 
 

they sang it joyfully too 🤦‍♀️😆

I remember that, wasn't that for Borat?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

I remember that, wasn't that for Borat?

Yup, he was playing Borat at the time. 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Npr did an interview with the guy who ran the event.

He was very sad a racist came and ruined everyone's opinion of the kind and wonderful people in his organization. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/28/884461869/far-right-group-pranked-dude-is-this-like-a-bad-impression-of-borat?

Quote

The event's disastrous ending — a racist singalong seemingly staged by prankster Sacha Baron Cohen — went viral over the weekend. The apparent infiltration was the latest salvo in the culture war, one of the endless "owns" of the other side. Leftists in Seattle trolled with glee; they've never bought into the militia makeover. 

[...] 

For Marshall, who's running for state legislature, it was a reminder of the obstacles he and other Patriot Movement leaders face as they try to carve a path into the mainstream

It was just kind of a kick in the teeth," he said.

So much for the "tolerant left".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Anyone else said it, you would have a Lynch mob, not a laughing audience.  It’s not like the sentiment existed only because someone spoke of it, and the likelihood is it would be pretext for a greater act of violence if SBC hadn’t diffused it as a joke.

Why do you think that?  They say that shit all the time amongst themselves, and they thought they were amongst themselves there.  And I wasn't talking about the audience laughing, I was talking about people here laughing at the audience "getting pranked."  If any good ol' boy type got up there and sang that song in the same light-hearted way but genuinely believing in the lyrics, the audience response would've been exactly the same.

Of course the ideas aren't new, but he's validated them while making them seem like good fun in the eyes of that audience. Hey, turns out it's a lot of fun to say it out loud with the approval of a crowd doing the same thing!  And "I was just joking" isn't a new idea either, but it's hella good cover to disseminate those ideas by taking the edge off them with a good old fashion call-and-response chorus.  The 3%ers aren't pissed about what he did on stage, and they only tried to stop him when they realized who he was. They're pissed they didn't think of it first, seeing how successful he was.  I guarantee you there will be more such "harmless" sing-a-longs led by true believers at future rallies like this.  Probably even performing that very same song.  You know, just to pwn the libs.

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

He gets people to sing a long to fucked up lyrics. Like that time, I think he was at a rodeo, he got people to sing the lyrics 

“throw the Jews down the well, so my country can be free” 
 

they sang it joyfully too 🤦‍♀️😆

And I'm still trying to grasp why that's funny.  Because he's doing it "ironically"?  Because he's really on our side while he's coaxing their inner bigots to come out of hiding and be loud and proud?  What could possibly go wrong?  And it's not like we didn't know that's how they felt already. 

What would be funny to me is if he were able to get them to happily sing along to songs written by Randy Rainbow.  Now that would take some actual skill.

I'm not saying Cohen is a secret Nazi.  I'm saying if he were, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference going by what he's doing.  But I've convicted Dumpster of being an actual Russian agent rather than merely a stupid and useful asset, on less evidence.  There's also that adage about "even if you're saying racist things ironically, you're still saying racist things."  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just gonna leave these here.

How the alt-right uses internet trolling to confuse you into dismissing its ideology

Hiding in plain sight: how the 'alt-right' is weaponizing irony to spread fascism

This Is The Daily Stormer’s Playbook

A couple of relevant quotes from that last one (slurs uncensored, couldn't c&p to edit):

Spoiler

 

dehum.jpg.b0f19945346e349d913e2d6daf6edb97.jpg

lulz.jpg.309f53f9a3f4af0e59beeec477368985.jpg

swift.jpg.145ad04f6e81cefe3e38ce9ed6953d18.jpg

 

 

  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Why do you think that?  They say that shit all the time amongst themselves, and they thought they were amongst themselves there.  They really don't though, at least not in language so stark.  And I wasn't talking about the audience laughing, I was talking about people here laughing at the audience "getting pranked."  If any good ol' boy type got up there and sang that song in the same light-hearted way but genuinely believing in the lyrics, the audience response would've been exactly the same.  It would be impossible for someone to mock the lyrics and still believe them.  Subtle inflection in the delivery might not be readily quantifiable, but it is definitely not imperceptible, particularly when you're taking it in combination with body language cues. 

Of course the ideas aren't new, but he's validated them while making them seem like good fun in the eyes of that audience. That's not how validation works.  The words alone don't validate ideas as much as the context and the previously mentioned body language / emotional cues.  Hey, turns out it's a lot of fun to say it out loud with the approval of a crowd doing the same thing!  And "I was just joking" isn't a new idea either, but it's hella good cover to disseminate those ideas by taking the edge off them with a good old fashion call-and-response chorus.  I believe he also made some blatantly anti-semitic lyrics this time as well. The 3%ers aren't pissed about what he did on stage, and they only tried to stop him when they realized who he was. They're pissed they didn't think of it first, seeing how successful he was.  The implications from articles I've seen is that the 3%ers were actually angry that he brought those ideas out into the open.  Sure, they believe in their hearts, but they're still self aware enough that they think if it's not spoken out, then they can pretend it doesn't exist. I guarantee you there will be more such "harmless" sing-a-longs led by true believers at future rallies like this.  Probably even performing that very same song.  You know, just to pwn the libs.

I'm not really an SBC fan either, mostly because his pranks tend to be brutal things to watch, even if they are quite useful and almost always justified critiques of the people they lampoon.  That being said, you can't diminish the importance of his side shows, even if you might have a quibble with the fact he's performing almost exclusively for the entertainment of people who hate the people being lampooned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Why do you think that?  They say that shit all the time amongst themselves, and they thought they were amongst themselves there.  And I wasn't talking about the audience laughing, I was talking about people here laughing at the audience "getting pranked."  If any good ol' boy type got up there and sang that song in the same light-hearted way but genuinely believing in the lyrics, the audience response would've been exactly the same.

Of course the ideas aren't new, but he's validated them while making them seem like good fun in the eyes of that audience. Hey, turns out it's a lot of fun to say it out loud with the approval of a crowd doing the same thing!  And "I was just joking" isn't a new idea either, but it's hella good cover to disseminate those ideas by taking the edge off them with a good old fashion call-and-response chorus.  The 3%ers aren't pissed about what he did on stage, and they only tried to stop him when they realized who he was. They're pissed they didn't think of it first, seeing how successful he was.  I guarantee you there will be more such "harmless" sing-a-longs led by true believers at future rallies like this.  Probably even performing that very same song.  You know, just to pwn the libs.

And I'm still trying to grasp why that's funny.  Because he's doing it "ironically"?  Because he's really on our side while he's coaxing their inner bigots to come out of hiding and be loud and proud?  What could possibly go wrong?  And it's not like we didn't know that's how they felt already. 

What would be funny to me is if he were able to get them to happily sing along to songs written by Randy Rainbow.  Now that would take some actual skill.

I'm not saying Cohen is a secret Nazi.  I'm saying if he were, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference going by what he's doing.  But I've convicted Dumpster of being an actual Russian agent rather than merely a stupid and useful asset, on less evidence.  There's also that adage about "even if you're saying racist things ironically, you're still saying racist things."  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just gonna leave these here.

How the alt-right uses internet trolling to confuse you into dismissing its ideology

Hiding in plain sight: how the 'alt-right' is weaponizing irony to spread fascism

This Is The Daily Stormer’s Playbook

A couple of relevant quotes from that last one (slurs uncensored, couldn't c&p to edit):

  Reveal hidden contents

 

dehum.jpg.b0f19945346e349d913e2d6daf6edb97.jpg

lulz.jpg.309f53f9a3f4af0e59beeec477368985.jpg

swift.jpg.145ad04f6e81cefe3e38ce9ed6953d18.jpg

 

 

Finally, someone fucking gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

Finally, someone fucking gets it.

Wut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Wut?

                 

this guy doesn't get it.

Edited by wacky1980
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

Wut?

No idea what you're asking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cyberbully said:

No idea what you're asking.

 

Nevermind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Why do you think that?  They say that shit all the time amongst themselves, and they thought they were amongst themselves there.  And I wasn't talking about the audience laughing, I was talking about people here laughing at the audience "getting pranked."  If any good ol' boy type got up there and sang that song in the same light-hearted way but genuinely believing in the lyrics, the audience response would've been exactly the same.

Of course the ideas aren't new, but he's validated them while making them seem like good fun in the eyes of that audience. Hey, turns out it's a lot of fun to say it out loud with the approval of a crowd doing the same thing!  And "I was just joking" isn't a new idea either, but it's hella good cover to disseminate those ideas by taking the edge off them with a good old fashion call-and-response chorus.  The 3%ers aren't pissed about what he did on stage, and they only tried to stop him when they realized who he was. They're pissed they didn't think of it first, seeing how successful he was.  I guarantee you there will be more such "harmless" sing-a-longs led by true believers at future rallies like this.  Probably even performing that very same song.  You know, just to pwn the libs.

And I'm still trying to grasp why that's funny.  Because he's doing it "ironically"?  Because he's really on our side while he's coaxing their inner bigots to come out of hiding and be loud and proud?  What could possibly go wrong?  And it's not like we didn't know that's how they felt already. 

What would be funny to me is if he were able to get them to happily sing along to songs written by Randy Rainbow.  Now that would take some actual skill.

I'm not saying Cohen is a secret Nazi.  I'm saying if he were, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference going by what he's doing.  But I've convicted Dumpster of being an actual Russian agent rather than merely a stupid and useful asset, on less evidence.  There's also that adage about "even if you're saying racist things ironically, you're still saying racist things."  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just gonna leave these here.

How the alt-right uses internet trolling to confuse you into dismissing its ideology

Hiding in plain sight: how the 'alt-right' is weaponizing irony to spread fascism

This Is The Daily Stormer’s Playbook

A couple of relevant quotes from that last one (slurs uncensored, couldn't c&p to edit):

  Reveal hidden contents

 

dehum.jpg.b0f19945346e349d913e2d6daf6edb97.jpg

lulz.jpg.309f53f9a3f4af0e59beeec477368985.jpg

swift.jpg.145ad04f6e81cefe3e38ce9ed6953d18.jpg

 

 

Yeah, I’m going to laugh at people singing along to a throw the Jew down the well song cuz I’m Jewish and no one tells me how I should react to antisemitism.  🤷‍♀️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't tell anyone how to react.  I said how I felt, and that I didn't understand why it was funny to people who think it's funny.  It's not like you're the only one who thinks it is, and I imagine people have a variety of reasons for laughing at it.  Are you willing to explain yours?  Would you still laugh at it if Anglin was leading the songfest instead of Cohen?  To be honest, I don't even know if laughing at it and thinking it's funny are the same thing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I didn't tell anyone how to react.  I said how I felt, and that I didn't understand why it was funny to people who think it's funny.  It's not like you're the only one who thinks it is, and I imagine people have a variety of reasons for laughing at it.  Are you willing to explain yours?  Would you still laugh at it if Anglin was leading the songfest instead of Cohen?  To be honest, I don't even know if laughing at it and thinking it's funny are the same thing here.

Why does this feel like a rabbit hole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I didn't tell anyone how to react.  I said how I felt, and that I didn't understand why it was funny to people who think it's funny.  It's not like you're the only one who thinks it is, and I imagine people have a variety of reasons for laughing at it.  Are you willing to explain yours?  Would you still laugh at it if Anglin was leading the songfest instead of Cohen?  To be honest, I don't even know if laughing at it and thinking it's funny are the same thing here.

In general, Cohen's schtick isn't my thing. I do find it funny though that the racist group who held that rally were the ones who had to put out the first statement about what happened. That does show that Cohen punking them is harmful in some kind of way if they have to come out hard doing damage control. Also that picture of Cohen in a second costume was an unintentional public self burn too. They live-streamed the interview afterwards, and a lady who might have been an activist watched it and quickly took a screenshot of Cohen when she recognized him and posted it on social media. That dumbass group deleted that video in a hurry which is why there's no video circulating of that interview right now(can't remember where I saw the tweets explaining this). I guess what made me laugh in pettiness was that this kind of concert or whatever is used to try and make them seem harmless and give them more credibility, and Cohen was able to deny them that. At least for that one day.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, if I understand things correctly, this basically comes off as little more than the dumb frog memes. It uses the stupid as mockery of the other side, but tries too hard and becomes the stupid. The classic "lol, gottem" in the lamest way possible.

But, maybe when the audience has no understanding of hypocrisy, you gotta stoop that low to get the point across.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

In general, Cohen's schtick isn't my thing. I do find it funny though that the racist group who held that rally were the ones who had to put out the first statement about what happened. That does show that Cohen punking them is harmful in some kind of way if they have to come out hard doing damage control. Also that picture of Cohen in a second costume was an unintentional public self burn too. They live-streamed the interview afterwards, and a lady who might have been an activist watched it and quickly took a screenshot of Cohen when she recognized him and posted it on social media. That dumbass group deleted that video in a hurry which is why there's no video circulating of that interview right now(can't remember where I saw the tweets explaining this). I guess what made me laugh in pettiness was that this kind of concert or whatever is used to try and make them seem harmless and give them more credibility, and Cohen was able to deny them that. At least for that one day.

It's worth noting that SBC's thing isn't supposed to be laugh out loud hilarious.  The stuff he says and the things he does in the name of his pranks are meant to be biting, almost as if public humiliation is the point rather than an by product of the humor.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, cyberbully said:

Finally, someone fucking gets it.

if that's what you meant by "getting it" all this time, I'm glad I don't get it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Poof said:

if that's what you meant by "getting it" all this time, I'm glad I don't get it

I'm sure that's how a lot of white people feel....And it's not helping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 8:34 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

I didn't tell anyone how to react.  I said how I felt, and that I didn't understand why it was funny to people who think it's funny.  It's not like you're the only one who thinks it is, and I imagine people have a variety of reasons for laughing at it.  Are you willing to explain yours?  Would you still laugh at it if Anglin was leading the songfest instead of Cohen?  To be honest, I don't even know if laughing at it and thinking it's funny are the same thing here.

I wouldn’t laugh if it was not anglin instead of Cohen, but context still matters to me at this point in time. 
honestly No, I didn’t expect a stadium full of rodeo people to so willingly, and with little discomforting to sing “throw the Jews down the well” so yeah, I laughed. What else am I gonna do?  Write an angry letter to SBC? 
This instance was less funny because he was at a conservative event where it’s not as surprising, but I still laughed. SBC looked ridiculous and that people are still being punked by him is very funny to me. 
Yeah you said how you felt and added a little “I don’t understand why people in this thread found it funny” which implies you think we shouldn’t laugh, or find it funny and to that I say “no. You do not tell me my laughter is inappropriate” fuck you every time on that 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 3:11 AM, scoobdog said:

It's worth noting that SBC's thing isn't supposed to be laugh out loud hilarious.  The stuff he says and the things he does in the name of his pranks are meant to be biting, almost as if public humiliation is the point rather than an by product of the humor.

The laughter SBC invokes from me is definitely an uncomfortable laughter. 
I personally like when he punks local, or national politicians.  It’s important to see how they really are. He’s even gotten local pols to resign due to their behavior. So this, “he’s not funny because the people he punks talk like that all the time and it assists the far right by playing into nazi plans by causing us to underestimate them” isn’t entirely true imo. Some of his punking has value.  
But ya know let’s not pretend that SBC being an Israeli Jew (living in England) has nothing to do with the disdain people feel about his brand of humor, or him personally. 🙄

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Btw @Gina Szanboti laughing at something doesn’t equal finding something funny.  Example, I see you bust your ass on the sidewalk, I’m laughing, but not because I think it’s funny, it’s a nervous reaction.  Sometimes anxiety makes people laugh.  Watching SBC do an offensive sing a long is not haha funny. It’s cringe funny cuz what the fuck else do you do? Cry? 

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cyberbully said:

I'm sure that's how a lot of white people feel....And it's not helping.

fuck off man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Poof said:

fuck off man

Again, it's you coming at me with this bullshit....Take your own advice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

I am confused right now but I'm trying to learn. 

I don’t understand why you’re confused? Gina brought up a valid point on why being racist, or nationalist ironically isn’t funny and is harmful.  I’m not completely on board with that yet. 
it’s not uncommon to give comedians a little more room when it comes to offensive things.  At least that was the case at one time. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Again, it's you coming at me with this bullshit....Take your own advice.  

How do you want white ppl to stand up to racism?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah you said how you felt and added a little “I don’t understand why people in this thread found it funny” which implies you think we shouldn’t laugh, or find it funny

First, how does saying "I don't understand" imply "You shouldn't"?  When I say "I don't understand," it means I don't understand.  Explanations welcome; maybe then I'll understand.  If I say "I can't understand" then explanations probably won't help but knock yourself out.  It still doesn't necessarily mean "you shouldn't" but that whatever I can't understand is so alien to me I don't have any reference points for understanding it or the logic is so illogical it melts my brain (like I can't understand how people could believe 5G towers cause Corona). "I just can't understand" is me helplessly throwing up my hands and giving up.

Second, you've conflated two different statements in two different posts to create that implication.  First I said if it wasn't SBC no one would be laughing (which you say is true, assuming the double negative was a mis-edit).  Then I said I was still trying to grasp why it was funny (and later that I wasn't sure if laughing and funny were the same thing here, which acknowledged what you've confirmed, but I admit it wasn't until I was writing that post that I realized that might be the case) and explained my problem with it.  That's not the same as saying "I don't understand why this is funny, therefore no one should laugh at it," which I never said or implied.  What I was looking for was input from anyone who thought it was funny.  I thought "still trying to grasp why" was clear, but apparently it wasn't, or got lost in explaining my pov.  Should I have made it a direct request?  I guess I usually prefer fishing to asking directly because nobody owes me an explanation of their pov.

But I am still pondering the result of this.  Dunno what that result will be - they're shamed back into their bigoted closets?  They're angered to become more rwnj activist in revenge?  They weaponize the prank as a recruiting tool?  It's all forgotten next week?  His previous forays don't seem to have affected the masses much, just a few politicians (which is at least something!), but these fools are already more virulent and public in their hatred or they wouldn't have been there, so we'll see, and hope for the first outcome.  One result I don't expect at all is that any of them see the light and try to change.

Anyway, it's not your job to educate me, so I appreciate you explaining your feelings.  And I do see some value in the fact that that audience ended up knowing they were suckered by him, which, aside from their leadership's annoyance at losing control of their event, wasn't clear to me just from watching the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

First, how does saying "I don't understand" imply "You shouldn't"?  When I say "I don't understand," it means I don't understand.  Explanations welcome; maybe then I'll understand.  If I say "I can't understand" then explanations probably won't help but knock yourself out.  It still doesn't necessarily mean "you shouldn't" but that whatever I can't understand is so alien to me I don't have any reference points for understanding it or the logic is so illogical it melts my brain (like I can't understand how people could believe 5G towers cause Corona). "I just can't understand" is me helplessly throwing up my hands and giving up.

Second, you've conflated two different statements in two different posts to create that implication.  First I said if it wasn't SBC no one would be laughing (which you say is true, assuming the double negative was a mis-edit).  Then I said I was still trying to grasp why it was funny (and later that I wasn't sure if laughing and funny were the same thing here, which acknowledged what you've confirmed, but I admit it wasn't until I was writing that post that I realized that might be the case) and explained my problem with it.  That's not the same as saying "I don't understand why this is funny, therefore no one should laugh at it," which I never said or implied.  What I was looking for was input from anyone who thought it was funny.  I thought "still trying to grasp why" was clear, but apparently it wasn't, or got lost in explaining my pov.  Should I have made it a direct request?  I guess I usually prefer fishing to asking directly because nobody owes me an explanation of their pov.

But I am still pondering the result of this.  Dunno what that result will be - they're shamed back into their bigoted closets?  They're angered to become more rwnj activist in revenge?  They weaponize the prank as a recruiting tool?  It's all forgotten next week?  His previous forays don't seem to have affected the masses much, just a few politicians (which is at least something!), but these fools are already more virulent and public in their hatred or they wouldn't have been there, so we'll see, and hope for the first outcome.  One result I don't expect at all is that any of them see the light and try to change.

Anyway, it's not your job to educate me, so I appreciate you explaining your feelings.  And I do see some value in the fact that that audience ended up knowing they were suckered by him, which, aside from their leadership's annoyance at losing control of their event, wasn't clear to me just from watching the video.

But it’s your job to educate everyone else? And yes saying “I don’t understand” is equal to saying you don’t see why people thought it funny and then you went on to educate us as to why.  Well fuck you I don’t agree with you.  I’m telling you why the fuck you don’t get to tell me about harms done about a song I’m a targeted group of. Bottom fucking line. I also don’t need your education on nazis and the far fuckin right

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I said "it's not your job" I meant that in the sense of "I realize you aren't obligated to if you don't feel like it."   Not the "it's not your place to" meaning.  

If I want people to understand why I see things as I do, then it is my place to give my reasons, since I'm the only one who can and people aren't mind-readers.  You do not agree with those reasons.  I never demanded or even implied that you must or should.  But I honestly don't' know what you want from me.  You told Sponges I brought up a valid point that you disagreed with, but you're now telling me I shouldn't have brought it up at all because somehow that's telling you what you have to think. At this point, I'm inclined to agree that I shouldn't have brought it up at all.  Fucking off now.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Poof said:

How do you want white ppl to stand up to racism?

Not approaching shit as a fucking joke is a start because it's not funny to me and derision ain't doing a damn thing. 

And this wasn't for black people...in what world do you think any black person would run into this unless some white person linked them to it. This is again, white people putting on a show and broadcasting their "activism" for other white people. 

I'm probably one of the few black people who even knows who this dude is and absolutely none of them are searching redneck rallies.

As has been stated before, there are thousands of resources and black hosted functions where white people can come and show their support, but instead of that, I see more and more creative ways for people to avoid just doing what the black community is asking.

But as I said a hundred times now, do whatever you want, but any time you come to a thread and quote me asking some retarded shit, you aren't going to like my answer....so do us both a favor.

 

Edited by André Toulon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, André Toulon said:

Not approaching shit as a fucking joke is a start because it's not funny to me and derision ain't doing a damn thing. 

And this wasn't for black people...in what world do you think any black person would run into this unless some white person linked them to it. This is again, white people putting on a show and broadcasting their "activism" for other white people. 

I'm probably one of the few black people who even knows who this dude is and absolutely none of them are searching redneck rallies.

As has been stated before, there are thousands of resources and black hosted functions where white people can come and show their support, but instead of that, I see more and more creative ways for people to avoid just doing what the black community is asking.

But as I said a hundred times now, do whatever you want, but any time you come to a thread and quote me asking some retarded shit, you aren't going to like my answer....so do us both a favor.

 

Well considering SBC derided some republicans so hard they resigned, I think it does something. If you don't think the way he gets these ppl to make complete fools out of themselves isn't a hinderance to their cause, you're just being stubborn.

It's for anyone who wants to see it. It's all over news outlets as well. Racism isn't even the only thing he's exposing here. All their backward views. You speak for all black ppl now, and somehow think very few black ppl know who SBC is? That's just off.

Now thats the thing... You always judge ppl having no idea if they participate in any black hosted functions or contribute to black run organizations. You just see a white person making any effort against racism that isn't money, meeting, or marching and you say it's useless or counterproductive. Without knowing whether thats one small action they take in their life or not. You have no idea about ppls lives and what all they might be doing. Yet you treat ppl like you know they dont do shit besides the stuff you see. Like how you acted like me going after bucket was my life's achievement against racism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Poof said:

Well considering SBC derided some republicans so hard they resigned, I think it does something. If you don't think the way he gets these ppl to make complete fools out of themselves isn't a hinderance to their cause, you're just being stubborn.

It's for anyone who wants to see it. It's all over news outlets as well. Racism isn't even the only thing he's exposing here. All their backward views. You speak for all black ppl now, and somehow think very few black ppl know who SBC is? That's just off.

Now thats the thing... You always judge ppl having no idea if they participate in any black hosted functions or contribute to black run organizations. You just see a white person making any effort against racism that isn't money, meeting, or marching and you say it's useless or counterproductive. Without knowing whether thats one small action they take in their life or not. You have no idea about ppls lives and what all they might be doing. Yet you treat ppl like you know they dont do shit besides the stuff you see. Like how you acted like me going after bucket was my life's achievement against racism.

I know what they show.  Same goes for you.  

And fine, I don't speak for all black people....Why don't you use that energy and show me that bustling negro fanbase that is cracking up at this...I have nothing but time right now...And no, the 7 black people that visit this site don't count....Of course there is a chance we would know about him because the thing that even has us on this site decades after joining ASMB is the fact that we are fans of some rather niche forms of entertainment.

And how you managed to pull bucket out of your ass again is noting short of amazing, yet predictable.  Really might want to do something about that obsession......He's gone, we can stop drawing relevance to him whenever you're ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cyberbully said:

I know what they show.  Same goes for you.  

And fine, I don't speak for all black people....Why don't you use that energy and show me that bustling negro fanbase that is cracking up at this...I have nothing but time right now...And no, the 7 black people that visit this site don't count....Of course there is a chance we would know about him because the thing that even has us on this site decades after joining ASMB is the fact that we are fans of some rather niche forms of entertainment.

And how you managed to pull bucket out of your ass again is noting short of amazing, yet predictable.  Really might want to do something about that obsession......He's gone, we can stop drawing relevance to him whenever you're ready.

He's not all that niche. Just go look at his IG or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Poof said:

He's not all that niche. Just go look at his IG or something.

Yet another example of white people not doing what they are asked and instead doing some other wild ass shit....This bores me and I see you have chosen not to do both of us a favor, so my only recourse is to do myself a favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

Yet another example of white people not doing what they are asked and instead doing some other wild ass shit....This bores me and I see you have chosen not to do both of us a favor, so my only recourse is to do myself a favor.

Was I asked something? I didn't see any question marks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I am still pondering the result of this.  Dunno what that result will be - they're shamed back into their bigoted closets?  They're angered to become more rwnj activist in revenge?  They weaponize the prank as a recruiting tool?  It's all forgotten next week?  His previous forays don't seem to have affected the masses much, just a few politicians (which is at least something!), but these fools are already more virulent and public in their hatred or they wouldn't have been there, so we'll see, and hope for the first outcome.  One result I don't expect at all is that any of them see the light and try to change.

 

9 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Not approaching shit as a fucking joke is a start because it's not funny to me and derision ain't doing a damn thing. 

And this wasn't for black people...in what world do you think any black person would run into this unless some white person linked them to it. This is again, white people putting on a show and broadcasting their "activism" for other white people. 

I'm probably one of the few black people who even knows who this dude is and absolutely none of them are searching redneck rallies.

As has been stated before, there are thousands of resources and black hosted functions where white people can come and show their support, but instead of that, I see more and more creative ways for people to avoid just doing what the black community is asking.

But as I said a hundred times now, do whatever you want, but any time you come to a thread and quote me asking some retarded shit, you aren't going to like my answer....so do us both a favor.

 

So far, these are the salient points.  I don't think SBC has any bearing on racists one way or another:  they know their ideology is going to be mocked and no amount of shaming will change that.  But, the righteousness that one might feel for seeing him make fools of his victims is nothing more than a veneer for schadenfreude.  It's easier to feel good about this when the people who are being denigrated are horrible people.  Nonetheless, SBC doesn't illuminate anything we don't already know, and he does nothing to offer any kind of redress.  Perhaps counter intuitively, the importance isn't what he has to say about racists, it's what it says about how easily we rely on mockery to sidestep our own racist tendencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

 

So far, these are the salient points.  I don't think SBC has any bearing on racists one way or another:  they know their ideology is going to be mocked and no amount of shaming will change that.  But, the righteousness that one might feel for seeing him make fools of his victims is nothing more than a veneer for schadenfreude.  It's easier to feel good about this when the people who are being denigrated are horrible people.  Nonetheless, SBC doesn't illuminate anything we don't already know, and he does nothing to offer any kind of redress.  Perhaps counter intuitively, the importance isn't what he has to say about racists, it's what it says about how easily we rely on mockery to sidestep our own racist tendencies.

I actually have no real opinion on SBC other than I hated Borat, and loved him in Talladega Nights.  But after watching/skimming this video, I didn't find it funny and I just found it hard to watch more than anything else.  But this video didn't make or ruin my day, and frankly it's mostly innocuous since beside pissing off a few rednecks, it does nothing to make me laugh.  

It's meh at the end of the day, and i agreed with Gina's post....That's pretty much the beginning and end of it for me.  And I get, satirical comedy isn't supposed to always be a laugh riot, sometimes it's meant to make you feel uncomfortable, or play things in a light where you have to realize the parallels of what you do and what a bigot might...Or whatever the goal is, but don't expect me not to analyze the intentions.....

 

All that said, I'll never have more respect for any comedian than I will for Dave Chappelle, because he risked it all...His fame, his money, his power all for his integrity and pride.  When he said (paraphrase) 'I realized people weren't laughing with me, they were laughing at me' over the reaction he got from a white studio member during the famed racist Pixie sketch that he walked out on, I felt that to my core, and it made me happy that he would rather be broke than be a coon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...