UnevenEdge

Mob Psycho 100 S1 Rerun Discussion Thread

3ngag3

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

What sort of movies and TV shows have you been watching all these years?  There's always the thing of psychic mediums (who are charlatans in real life) and how some people are more prone to interacting with ghosts etc.

Hell, didn't Peter Venkman claim to be a psychic?

yeah, but that's "reading" type powers.

there are connections between

"psychic readings" and ghosts

and

psychokinetic powers and psychic readings

but it feels like no connection between psychokinesis and ghost.

kinetic powers make me think of akira, and newtypes in gundam, and the x-men style human evolution, not hauntings. feels like only anime lumps them all in together, and even then not all the time

Both this show, and YiiK a postmodern RPG have some seeming superficial inspiration from the Mother Franchise, between their supernatural and Psychokinetic elements, the fact that they're tongue in cheek

and feature a red haired, and obnoxious focal character voiced by Chris Niosi

YiiK However is badly written and it's creator used a real life murder victim as the inspiration of the "love interest" character

YIIK: A Postmodern RPG Review – RPGamer

Edited by mochi

1 minute ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

yeah, but that's "reading" type powers.

there are connections between

"psychic readings" and ghosts

and

psychokinetic powers and psychic readings

but it feels like no connection between psychokinesis and ghost.

kinetic powers make me think of akira, and newtypes in gundam, and the x-men style human evolution, not hauntings. feels like only anime lumps them all in together, and even then not all the time

I mean ghosts are able to use psychokinesis, if you think about it.  Carrie was a horror movie.  Don't think it had any ghosts in it though.

I just think as a general unspoken rule of thumb, you don't want to layer multiple fantastical elements on top of each other.  A show or movie about ghosts and monsters and demons wouldn't suddenly throw in aliens, for example.

I mean I guess Star Wars shares sci-fi, fantasy, and spiritual aspects, but that's not a common thing.  And Star Wars has never much cared for the "science" part haha.

But, psychics and ghosts go hand in hand.  Psychokinesis is just another psychic power.

Real talk: thanks to lockdowns and greatly reduced nightlife, this show COULD pull a few Deadman Wonderlands in the ratings!

That show's 2015 3 AM rerun often beat some of its 12:30 AM premieres in 2012. Mob could do the same between 2020 and 2018-19.

This episode only has to beat 345K total viewers and 174K adults 18-49. The bar is pretty low. Paranoia agent did better than that on average the last couple of weeks!

4 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I mean ghosts are able to use psychokinesis, if you think about it.  Carrie was a horror movie.  Don't think it had any ghosts in it though.

I just think as a general unspoken rule of thumb, you don't want to layer multiple fantastical elements on top of each other.  A show or movie about ghosts and monsters and demons wouldn't suddenly throw in aliens, for example.

I mean I guess Star Wars shares sci-fi, fantasy, and spiritual aspects, but that's not a common thing.  And Star Wars has never much cared for the "science" part haha.

But, psychics and ghosts go hand in hand.  Psychokinesis is just another psychic power.

i gotcha, bu it's how i' feel about it. carrie was horror, but it was also distinctly about human evolution (though she does communicate with a dying girl at the end of the book. personally, i've always felt psychokinesis fell more closely in line with stuff like aliens and super science. i guess that's the distinction. ghost talking feels like magic; psychokinesis feels like sci-fi

1 minute ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i gotcha, bu it's how i' feel about it. carrie was horror, but it was also distinctly about human evolution (though she does communicate with a dying girl at the end of the book. personally, i've always felt psychokinesis fell more closely in line with stuff like aliens and super science. i guess that's the distinction. ghost talking feels like magic; psychokinesis feels like sci-fi

Do you really consider X-men super science, though?  Infusing a guy's skeleton with metal, really?  Though, now that I think about it, Marvel and DC universes both have sci-fi, and spiritual elements, and magic.  So there is another HUGE non-anime example.  I mean, I don't think there is any more scientific validity to psychokinesis than there is telepathy or psychic mediums.  Unless David Blaine could legit levitate.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:31 AM, ben0119 said:

Do you really consider X-men super science, though?  Infusing a guy's skeleton with metal, really?  Though, now that I think about it, Marvel and DC universes both have sci-fi, and spiritual elements, and magic.  So there is another HUGE non-anime example.  I mean, I don't think there is any more scientific validity to psychokinesis than there is telepathy or psychic mediums.  Unless David Blaine could legit levitate.

how is x-men not super science? human evolution manifesting in real time, resulting in biological superhuman powers. if you'r suggesting that the metal pated skeleton is mundane, you have to know that no one would survive that procedure in real life, not even with our modern technology. i didn't say only anime blends science and magic. i was saying anime frequently conflates extra sensory perception with ghosts and demons

On 5/9/2020 at 10:31 PM, ben0119 said:

Speaking of magic I always find it odd that movies never make any mention of Juggernaut getting his powers from magic and just treat him like a random mutant.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:45 PM, Daos said:

Speaking of magic I always find it odd that movies never make any mention of Juggernaut getting his powers from magic and just treat him like a random mutant.

they wanna streamline the story instead of  delving into his unique backstory. though,  can't remember if deadpool 2 actually claimed he was  mutant or just refuse to clarify.

honestly, i' watching the 90s cartoon and i was surprised they took the time to remark therein that Marko wasn't a mutant but got his powers magically.

3rd. you probably know this, but the red bands Doc Strange used to bind thanos in infinity war are of cyttorak as well. i was so psyched to see that