UnevenEdge

Mob Psycho 100 S1 Rerun Discussion Thread

3ngag3

yeah there are more important things to be concerned with but there's very little we can do about those things in the long term....everything including toonami is operating under the assumption that things will be back to normal in the near future

when we know that isn't the case....short term solutions are fine when we know they are short term but when they start to become long term solutions then it stops being fine

and excuse me if i don't have much faith in the toonami viewers continuing to tune in for a line-up of reruns....this isn't a charity so i doubt many people will continue tuning in out of the goodness of they're hearts if there's nothing new for them

You have to keep in mind that every channel and streaming service is kind of in the same boat here. No one is able to produce new content right now, and they're all facing the prospect of running out of fresh offerings for their viewers. It's not like Toonami is going to go to reruns while Netflix premiers 12 new anime series at the same time and meanwhile Adult Swim has six new regular comedy shows that need to find air time. You're ignoring the overall context in favor of more doomsday theories.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

You have to keep in mind that every channel and streaming service is kind of in the same boat here. No one is able to produce new content right now, and they're all facing the prospect of running out of fresh offerings for their viewers. It's not like Toonami is going to go to reruns while Netflix premiers 12 new anime series at the same time and meanwhile Adult Swim has six new regular comedy shows that need to find air time. You're ignoring the overall context in favor of more doomsday theories.

Well not to punch a hole in your argument but Netflix has been adding quite a few new anime lately. The new Ghost in the Shell just dropped along with Drifting Dragons and there's Dorohedoro soon along with Netflix getting first play of new Pokemon episodes. They're also adding One Piece (East Blue to the end of Alabasta) in June the same day as Pokemon. Partially because they often delay releasing shows until they're dubbed or subbed in multiple languages, Netflix's odd and staggered release schedule will actually ensure they have fresh stuff coming regularly for a while. BUT they'll eventually run out of material as well, it's just not happening for at least a few more months.

The Fall television schedule is gonna be REAL interesting with all these live-action shows being unable to film right now.

But ya know what, I'll flat out say it. If Toonami was 2 hours and only reruns, if the shows were good, I'd still have interest in watching it. As it stands I don't watch Clover and Shippuden so if Clover was off the line-up that would be a plus for me. I know I won't escape Shippuden... ever but that would be something. If Toonami has to rely heavily on reruns this year because we're in the middle of a global pandemic, that's not a big freak'n deal. Sure it will put off some viewers but maybe that can be offset by new viewers who didn't already see these shows? I'm pretty confident that Toonami would do well enough to stay on the air even if they were mostly or entirely reruns. If for no other reason than that AS will ride things out and let Toonami stay on the air so that their original anime will have a home when they're ready to air.

Edited by Sketch

18 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

i know everyone's in the same boat but not everyone will come out of this A-Okay

i really doubt toonami can go 12-18 months on reruns(that's the estimate for a vaccine at this time and until a vaccine is made...officials advise against returning to work fully)

I'll admit it's probably the weakest show on the lineup right now, but Black Clover is still utterly amazing. I realize it's been pretty hit-or-miss over the course of its 100+ episode run, but at this point it's a lot more hit than miss. Last weekend's episode was straight-up FIRE!

13 hours ago, Jman said:

Even Netflix isn’t fully immune.  The new GITS has its dub listed as “pending” because it’s not safe to have the actors in ADR.

The English dub has been up a few days now.

12 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Wait, if they haven't even recorded the dub yet, why is there an extensive cast listing already posted on ANN?

The international credit roll was there from day one so we knew who was in the dub but the English audio wasn't added until a few days ago.

• Thanks 1

Probably just my shit taste, but I didn't like demon slayer, PA, or Mob. Really the only reason I slugged through Mob was because I liked OPM. Oddly most people seem to like mob over opm by a large margin when the show is discussed. OPM for me just had more going for it. Better art style and the world feels far more lived in and developed. 

• D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

Well one got a crappy Japanese live action TV show and the other is getting a big budget Hollywood movie.  You tell me who wins.

The guy who made both =P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i know everyone's in the same boat but not everyone will come out of this A-Osomekay 

i really doubt toonami can go 12-18 months on reruns(that's the estimate for a vaccine at this time and until a vaccine is made...officials advise against returning to work fully)

Let me break down the likely scenario here:

It's gonna be an uneventful Summer with at best one fresh addition replacing MHA in June or some point before August.

JoJo's still recording so it should be able to finish and Black Clover's current episode count will last until August. Food Wars season 3 can probably replace one of those once they work out that deal.

I see no reason to assume they will not be able to get ANYTHING between now and the end of the year much less between now and the middle of 2021. They should be able to get at least a few backlog shows to plug the few holes they will have by August. And that's if animation production ceases entirely in Japan.

Albeit slowly, dubbing is ramping back up over here and I really doubt (for better or worse) that animation production in Japan will cease all together for 12 to 18 months. Hell, people are already starting to go back to work in lots of states in the US (which probably isn't a good idea but I digress). And many Animators can work from home and studios are adapting to that.

Since the budget has been affected by COVID-19, it stands to reason they would save the budget for when they are down to 3 premieres. When MHA ends then they'll be down to 4 block premieres if nothing new replaces it. What's a better scenario, they maintain 6 premieres over Summer and only had 2-3 for Fall or they had 4-5 during Summer and 3-4 during the Fall?

I just wonder about the production end.  Powerhouse Studios was boasting that it’s doing its work from home (hence why production is continuing fairly smoothly on their Masters of the Universe project) but I don’t know how many studios have that luxury.

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

It's gonna be an uneventful Summer with at best one fresh addition replacing MHA in June or some point before August.

JoJo's still recording so it should be able to finish and Black Clover's current episode count will last until August. Food Wars season 3 can probably replace one of those once they work out that deal.

I see no reason to assume they will not be able to get ANYTHING between now and the end of the year much less between now and the middle of 2021. They should be able to get at least a few backlog shows to plug the few holes they will have by August. And that's if animation production ceases entirely in Japan.

Albeit slowly, dubbing is ramping back up over here and I really doubt (for better or worse) that animation production in Japan will cease all together for 12 to 18 months. Hell, people are already starting to go back to work in lots of states in the US (which probably isn't a good idea but I digress). And many Animators can work from home and studios are adapting to that.

Since the budget has been affected by COVID-19, it stands to reason they would save the budget for when they are down to 3 premieres. When MHA ends then they'll be down to 4 block premieres if nothing new replaces it. What's a better scenario, they maintain 6 premieres over Summer and only had 2-3 for Fall or they had 4-5 during Summer and 3-4 during the Fall?

I think the main point of contention is that before current events, they were already in a cutback phase and this is the longest the block has ever gone without a fresh show that wasn’t a sequel.

Many on this board don’t consider PA a “premeire” because we watched it on ASA and if that was our last chance for a new show for awhile, I can’t blame some for being disappointed- despite the quality of the program. Clover and Naruto have their detractors so also and may not even watch them (me for instance).

I do wonder how much of the backlash is the dissatisfaction over the lack of new or the fear that ratings are going to suffer leading to more cuts. If it’s the latter, I’d stress that it’s more important that the block be something you enjoy over a constant fear over its potential demise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Season 1 Mob is good, season 1 OPM is great.

Season 2 Mob is great, season 2 OPM is awful.

Mob averages out to be the better series.

That checks out. Though I haven't seen Mob season 2 yet so I can't really judge. I recall feeling season one was good but didn't blow my mind. I hear nothing but great things about season 2 and I've been foolishly waiting for Toonami. I have far too many shows to watch so I haven't minded waiting but it's getting a bit irritating at this point.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:48 PM, Sketch said:

let's just hope black clover doesn't have to go into reruns as I'm not even sure what they'd even do at that point...rerun from the start of the dark elves story or from the beginning of the series

Edited by CountFrylock

On 5/5/2020 at 6:52 AM, brianycpht said:

I think the main point of contention is that before current events, they were already in a cutback phase and this is the longest the block has ever gone without a fresh show that wasn’t a sequel.

Many on this board don’t consider PA a “premeire” because we watched it on ASA and if that was our last chance for a new show for awhile, I can’t blame some for being disappointed- despite the quality of the program. Clover and Naruto have their detractors so also and may not even watch them (me for instance).

I do wonder how much of the backlash is the dissatisfaction over the lack of new or the fear that ratings are going to suffer leading to more cuts. If it’s the latter, I’d stress that it’s more important that the block be something you enjoy over a constant fear over its potential demise.

Yeah the block was already on the decline before this.  So it doesn't feel like much of a downgrade from before.  Very gradual in fact.  I also wonder how much things would be different if covid hadn't happened.  I don't see Mob rerunning under previous circumstances.  Lots of shows ended and just cut the slot already so we can't blame covid on that.  If they were still going to play Paranoia Agent regardless, I find that questionable.

I personally enjoy Black Clover greatly and it's one of the shows I look forward to the most every week.  Of course it does have a lot of detractors and those who probably don't even watch, like you said.  But Naruto, the quality of the show has deteriorated so much over the years, with tons of filler not helping, I really hardly count that as anything.  The episodes are old too and many that cared enough about the franchise will have already seen them.  Certainly I could have done the same but I have no desire, plus I already know some of the laughably bad stuff ahead, including the ending.  So once upon a time this show was basically rerun lite, a show that transitioned into the reruns.  Now it just looks that much worse as the pool of premieres and time slots in general has continued to shrink.

so I guess this is the Discussion thread now?

if so here's Reigen's voice actor in his breakout video game (and the only game he'll ever voice in for reasons)  hit, YIIK(es) a Postmodern RPG

outside of anime, i have a hard time conflating the type of "supernatural" that deals with psychokinesis and superhuman powers

with the type of "supernatural" that deals with spirits and ghosts.

they feel completely different to me, but Japan seems to lump them together

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

outside of anime, i have a hard time conflating the type of "supernatural" that deals with psychokinesis and superhuman powers

with the type of "supernatural" that deals with spirits and ghosts.

they feel completely different to me, but Japan seems to lump them together

What sort of movies and TV shows have you been watching all these years?  There's always the thing of psychic mediums (who in real life are charlatans) and how some people are more prone to interacting with ghosts etc.

Hell, didn't Peter Venkman claim to be a psychic?

Edited by ben0119

as I'v seen this show...I'm probably just gonna spam Trivia about YiiK a Postmodern RPG every week during it because I find this game cosmically funny.....and this show actually unfortunately has some vague thematic paralels to it

New YIIK Alpha Footage Takes Us to the Arcade | The Vita Lounge

• Like 1
  • Confused 1