UnevenEdge

What Would You Air on Toonami (COVID-19 Edition)

Sketch

I made this a separate thread because a fantasy schedule discussion doesn't really suit the existing threads.

Here's the scenario. Pick replacements for My Hero Academia, Sword Art Online, Demon Slayer and Food Wars (unless you continue it into season 3). They have to be shows that are already dubbed. There's plenty of feasible options so I'd like to see what you folks would pick up if you suddenly had to grab three or four shows for Toonami to start airing in April and May.

If you want you can post a whole schedule or you can just list the shows. Perhaps go into detail as to why you picked those particular shows.

You can also go a step further and select possible replacements for JoJo and Black Clover for the Summer as well. Again, only shows that are currently dubbed because dubbing probably wont resume for at least a couple of months.

• Like 1

Here's what I'd do

May Schedule:
11:30 - Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
12:00 - Blood Blockade Battlefront
12:30 - Made in Abyss
01:00 - KonoSuba
01:30 - JJBA Golden Wind
02:00 - Black Clover
02:30 - Shippuden

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Made in Abyss are stellar shows with a good mix of action, drama and comedy (Blockade certainly the more comedic of the two but not without many dramatic moments). KonoSuba is a hilarious take on isekai and we could all use some more laughs right about now. Mob is well overdue and it would be a good opportunity to air that second season.

If Food Wars were to continue then I'd wait a bit on Made in Abyss and pair up Blood Blockade with KonoSuba.

Other shows I'd consider: Astra: Lost in Space, Re:Zero, Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, No Guns Life (the first season anyway), 91 Days, Cautious Hero, Grimore of Zero, FLIP FLAPPERS, The Ancient Magus Bride, Sarazanmai, Keijo!!!!!! and Danmachi. I don't think it's too late to run Madoka Magica, Tiger & Bunny, Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Psycho-Pass or Magi but they should probably air later in the block if they do air. Going even older, I'd like to see them run Darker than Black and Baccano if Aniplex can even offer those.

• Like 3

Alright, let’s play Fantasy Scheduler.  Haven’t done this in years -

12:00 - Space Battleship Yamato 2199/2202

12:30 - SSSS Gridman

1:00 - Rising of the Shield Hero

1:30 - JoJo Golden Wind

And continue as normal.

Mob makes sense at 11:30 if a dub is available.  Season 1 aired.

Yamato is something that Toonami really should have picked up earlier (I suggested it as early as 2017, as it was a remake of a sci-fi anime that didn’t have complete contempt for the thing in the title).

Gridman, again, show they should have aired earlier.  It’s Trigger, it’s a loose remake of the show that became Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad which will get some eyes to bug out, it’s really good in the dialog and action.

If we have to get an isekai, well, this one has two more seasons coming up, and if nothing else, will get people talking.  Given SAO’s success, I could easily see Shield Hero securing a similar audience.

JoJo is probably going to be airing because the alternative is rights lapsing and Netflix getting it sooner.

• Like 1

Assuming no block reductions or limits on what can be aired...

11:30 - Mob Psycho 100 II (replacing MHA)
12:00 - High School DxD (replacing Demon Slayer)
12:30 - Food Wars! The Third Plate
1:00 - Gungrave (replacing SAO)
1:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
2:00 - Black Clover
2:30 - Naruto Shippuden

Mob because season 1 was fucking awesome and I hear season 2's even better.

DxD because back when I watched it during its premiere in Japan, it surprised me with how engaging its plot was and how likeable its characters were. Also, because Demarco hates fanservice and I know airing this without his say would make his head explode.

Gungrave because we were cheated out of it during the ASA era, even if we did get Paranoia Agent as compensation for it, and after watching the amazing episode 14, I want to share my experiences with you who haven't seen it yet.

Vento Aureo got moved up because it really deserves better than to be sandwiched between the two halves of the Pierrot Power Hour of Pain.

32 minutes ago, Jman said:

Alright, let’s play Fantasy Scheduler.  Haven’t done this in years -

12:00 - Space Battleship Yamato 2199/2202

12:30 - SSSS Gridman

1:00 - Rising of the Shield Hero

1:30 - JoJo Golden Wind

And continue as normal.

Mob makes sense at 11:30 if a dub is available.  Season 1 aired.

Yamato is something that Toonami really should have picked up earlier (I suggested it as early as 2017, as it was a remake of a sci-fi anime that didn’t have complete contempt for the thing in the title).

Gridman, again, show they should have aired earlier.  It’s Trigger, it’s a loose remake of the show that became Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad which will get some eyes to bug out, it’s really good in the dialog and action.

If we have to get an isekai, well, this one has two more seasons coming up, and if nothing else, will get people talking.  Given SAO’s success, I could easily see Shield Hero securing a similar audience.

JoJo is probably going to be airing because the alternative is rights lapsing and Netflix getting it sooner.

Funny... both Yamato and Gridman slipped my mind. I'd love to see both. I'm a bit surprised you're still pulling for Yamato given how Gundam and Lupin have done. I'd be a bit concerned it would put the audience to sleep.

Edited by Sketch

13 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Assuming no block reductions or limits on what can be aired...

11:30 - Mob Psycho 100 II (replacing MHA)
12:00 - High School DxD (replacing Demon Slayer)
12:30 - Food Wars! The Third Plate
1:00 - Gungrave (replacing SAO)
1:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
2:00 - Black Clover
2:30 - Naruto Shippuden

Mob because season 1 was fucking awesome and I hear season 2's even better.

DxD because back when I watched it during its premiere in Japan, it surprised me with how engaging its plot was and how likeable its characters were. Also, because Demarco hates fanservice and I know airing this without his say would make his head explode.

Gungrave because we were cheated out of it during the ASA era, even if we did get Paranoia Agent as compensation for it, and after watching the amazing episode 14, I want to share my experiences with you who haven't seen it yet.

Vento Aureo got moved up because it really deserves better than to be sandwiched between the two halves of the Pierrot Power Hour of Pain.

To be the least bit realistic here it's probably best to steer clear from a show with as many tits and High School DxD. They couldn't air it uncensored for one thing. The story and the lore is really quite good though.

Digging way back for Gungrave. That would be interesting to see.

We are all in agreement thus far that Vento Auero should air a bit earlier.

Edited by Sketch

2 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I thought that'd be the case. If DxD really isn't a feasible replacement even hypothetically, I guess I'll sub in Kuromukuro instead, despite the latter's Netflix exclusivity.

Yeah Netflix exclusivity also takes plenty of good shows out of the running. Not that they'd be able to air Devil Man Crybaby uncensored anyway. If those were an option I'd love to see Seis Manos and Castlevania aside from various Japanese cartoons. Also the upcoming He-Man series that's targeted to older audiences.

For that matter it really pisses me off that ReCreators, Babylon, Blade of the Immortal and Banana Fish are locked down by Amazon. But I'm mainly frustrated that they may never be dubbed.

That said, I think the Hulu lock-down on Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc, Erased and The Asterisk War may be over soon. Aniplex recently added Charolette to FUNimation's site and I believe it was among the shows Hulu had an exclusive deal for (for the dubs in particular).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Nothing but the finest, focusing on younger viewers.

11:30 - Pokemon
12:00 - Winx Club
12:30 - Sonic X
1:00 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
1:30 - Yu-gi-oh GX
2:00 - One Piece
2:30 - Dragon Ball Z Kai

You could say this schedule is made for kids.

I could finally have Ninja Turtles on Toonami!

Of course 4Kids doesn't own the rights to any of their old dubs anymore, nor their Ninja Turtles series.

Lupin never captured American’s imaginations and the Gundam series were airing and doing well on Hulu and Youtube and Netflix.  Yamato never had that exposure, which gives it a chance.

It‘s probably a good idea to call it Star Blazers 2199 though, so people realize it’s a remake of that.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Nothing but the finest, focusing on younger viewers.

11:30 - Pokemon
12:00 - Winx Club
12:30 - Sonic X
1:00 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
1:30 - Yu-gi-oh GX
2:00 - One Piece
2:30 - Dragon Ball Z Kai

You could say this schedule is made for kids.

>no Mew Mew Power

Pathetic.

11 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I'd love to go old-school and finally have Escaflowne on the block, as it always should have been.  Unfortunately FUNi would probably make Toonami air their new dub, and no one needs more McNuggets.

I've only ever seen Escaflowne Abridged, but from the moment the new cast was announced, I could tell that Vic as Folken was a complete miscast.

Yeah, it makes no sense whatsoever. For reference, in the original Ocean dub he was played by Naraku's actor, someone with a much deeper voice and more gravitas.

But yeah, Escaflowne is an all-time classic and features some of Yoko Kanno's absolute best work.

Edited by Top Gun

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

But yeah, Escaflowne is an all-time classic and features some of Yoko Kanno's absolute best work.

Tis true.

If someone does decide to air the proto isekais, either that or Rayearth would be good.

Sure why not.

11:30 - Scrapped Princess

12:00 - Rising of Shield Hero

12:30 - Goblin Slayer

1:00 - Psycho-Pass (uncut)

1:30 - Black Clover

2:00 - Shippuden

2:30 - Madlax or Noir (uncut)

Troll Schedule (all uncut)

11:30 - Vandread

12:00 - Freezing

12:30 - Kiddy Grade

1:00 - Queen's Blade

1:30 - Tenchi Muyo GXP

2:00 - High School DxD

2:30 - Boruto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

If we're really going full fantasy draft here...

11:30 - Mob Psycho 2
12:00 - Princess Principle
12:30 - Made in Abyss
1:00 - Tiger and Bunny
1:30 - One Piece, but just the episodes Ace is in
2:00 - Jojo rerun
2:30 - Old school rerun, bring back S-CRY-ed

LOL only Ace episodes of One Piece. They uh.... run out of those pretty quick.

Princess Principle is an inspired pick.