UnevenEdge

who's still working?

Distortedreasoning

where were at?   

46 members have voted

1. 1. are you still going to work?

• yes. this is america!
    • yes. i am an essential worker in these times of crisis.
    • yes but from home.
    • no. im lucky enough to get pto and self quarantine.
    • no. didnt have a job before the virus.
    • no. got let go.

6 minutes ago, renjifan said:

My company just laid off a whole bunch of people, me included. They are saying that they are hoping it's just temporary, and that we can all come back after things settle down. We'll see... 😕

sorry to hear.

i really hope we all get some aid that actually helps. but our politicians really hate us. 

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

For those of you who might be currently sans job due to your place of employment being on a forced shut-down, a potential suggestion.

Grocery stores are allowed to stay open during this. They are super stretched for employees right now. They can't keep up with the demands to keep the shelves stocked even if the stuff is waiting in their back warehouse and they can't keep up with the expected sanitation needs. In other words, they are hiring. They need people during this particular problem and won't once the problem has come back under control. So, consider checking out your local grocery stores to see if they are hiring part-timers with the expected flexibility that if your old place re-opens, you can go there without any sort of two week notice. It might not be the paycheck you had before but at least it would still be a regular paycheck. 

yes demand for a few jobs will be up. 

whelp im still working for now. kinda pissed off the stay at home order hasnt been issued yet. from the looks of it, i think they will be given on monday. hate the thought of us non essential workers still going in and working with a lot of people. i guess they are taking a lot of measures, but the best one is to isolate. 

well they issued a stay home order in my state, but my non essential business gets to stay open long as they are following social distancing protocol. fucking A, theres too many people here! even though they do a decent job of providing sanitation, it only takes one asshole. i put in my request for 2 weeks vacation next week. i' would do tomorrow but they got a 3 day notice here. not happy at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

well they issued a stay home order in my state, but my non essential business gets to stay open long

My state has still done nothing but my city and county today closed non essential businesses and banned non essential travel. Restaurants still open to do Togo/delivery and hotels aren't allowed to serve any breakfast. Again this is just local, state still doing nothing. 

been working from home for the last 6 months. don't care about this shit. i chill with the same 20 people consistently and a couple of them have come over and smoked some weed for a little bit. my life has barely changed, but i'm staying in and not going out because i live with my 60+ father who i'm not gonna let get this because of my carelessness.

to those of you working - good for you - worlds gotta keep running somehow. we should just shut the whole world down for a month tho, global stimulus package for everyone, go grab what food you can, stay in for a month. problem solved.

7 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

are you essential worker? 

My papers say I am, but I don't think anything my store sells is that fucking essential, all the stores are claiming to be essential.

But if all the stores are still open, and customers are still regularly shopping at the stores, what exactly is on lockdown?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, little_girl_lost said:

My papers say I am, but I don't think anything my store sells is that fucking essential, all the stores are claiming to be essential.

But if all the stores are still open, and customers are still regularly shopping at the stores, what exactly is on lockdown?

This is how I feel on day one of the non essential businesses shutdown here.  I looked at this list of places deemed essential and had to rack my brain to come up with more than a couple types of places that dont quality as "essential." Most everywhere is still open, most everyone still working. Fucking florists??

https://www.wate.com/news/knox-county-closes-all-nonessential-businesses-with-safer-at-home-order

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nablotson said:

This is how I feel on day one of the non essential businesses shutdown here.  I looked at this list of places deemed essential and had to rack my brain to come up with more than a couple types of places that dont quality as "essential." Most everywhere is still open, most everyone still working. Fucking florists??

https://www.wate.com/news/knox-county-closes-all-nonessential-businesses-with-safer-at-home-order

No one: OMG, its an emergency, I NEED to go to joann fabrics!

edit, I don't work there, just citing an example

Edited by little_girl_lost
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, little_girl_lost said:

No one: OMG, its an emergency, I NEED to go to joann fabrics!

edit, I don't work there, just citing an example

Three stupid words - 'homemade face masks' . -.-;

Everyone seems to think they can make their own because they saw a picture on the internets [ not including those semi-hilarious bra ones...those are entertaining as hell :D ] . And I would trust none of these people with anything sharper than a butter knife. A plastic one. 

Note, I don't work at a Joann's either. I do work at a craft store though and it's literally the same thing right now. -.-; 

20 hours ago, TacoTuesday said:

been working from home for the last 6 months. don't care about this shit. i chill with the same 20 people consistently and a couple of them have come over and smoked some weed for a little bit. my life has barely changed, but i'm staying in and not going out because i live with my 60+ father who i'm not gonna let get this because of my carelessness.

to those of you working - good for you - worlds gotta keep running somehow. we should just shut the whole world down for a month tho, global stimulus package for everyone, go grab what food you can, stay in for a month. problem solved.

you can be as careful as you want but the virus can still get you.

22 hours ago, Nablotson said:

My state has still done nothing but my city and county today closed non essential businesses and banned non essential travel. Restaurants still open to do Togo/delivery and hotels aren't allowed to serve any breakfast. Again this is just local, state still doing nothing. 

i think once the cases go up, they will start to act. its what happened in my state. 

14 hours ago, little_girl_lost said:

they just putting profit before your own well being. 

Supposed to be essential travel only yet they're totally fine with all the hundreds of homeless people milling about while tens of thousands of hotel rooms sit empty and hundreds of hotel employees are laid off and thousands more having their hours cut due to lack of occupancy. 

Not even the Coronavirus could ensure I have a day off, but cannabis can thanks to it's overwhelming tendency to leave traces in the human body. I hope that puts things into perspective Covid-19.. You aint really shit... Marijuana, and those that advocate this devil grass are on an entirely different level. :|

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Still employed.

But almost a full dozen in my store are not as of today. :(

I feel nauseous.  

That stinks. I literally just started today.....and got 45 extra minutes because no one paid attention to me or helped me clocked out.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Not even the Coronavirus could ensure I have a day off, but cannabis can thanks to it's overwhelming tendency to leave traces in the human body. I hope that puts things into perspective Covid-19.. You aint really shit... Marijuana, and those that advocate this devil grass are on an entirely different level. :|

people gonna need their cannabis in these trying times. 

Just now, Distortedreasoning said:

the little wins that count sometimes. 

Truth. Can I be honest though? I hate working from home. Especially with my child at home and not in school. 😐 Lord help me. This single working parent shit is for the birds. 

And before anyone comments on that, it wasn’t by choice to be a single parent. He passed away. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, sahockeygrl15 said:

Truth. Can I be honest though? I hate working from home. Especially with my child at home and not in school. 😐 Lord help me. This single working parent shit is for the birds. 

And before anyone comments on that, it wasn’t by choice to be a single parent. He passed away. 

believe me, no one here is gonna give you any shit for being a single mom. you do your thing baby ;) 

having kids at home must make working a lot harder from home lol. how can you ever get any work done? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Distortedreasoning said:

believe me, no one here is gonna give you any shit for being a single mom. you do your thing baby ;) 

having kids at home must make working a lot harder from home lol. how can you ever get any work done? 

Oh yea, it makes it a lot harder. I still get my work done but while I’m in meetings I have to keep muting my phone. I’m pretty sure all kids have tapeworms too. There should be no reason that I feed her and literally as she walks away from the table tells me she is hungry. 😐🙏🏻

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, sahockeygrl15 said:

Oh yea, it makes it a lot harder. I still get my work done but while I’m in meetings I have to keep muting my phone. I’m pretty sure all kids have tapeworms too. There should be no reason that I feed her and literally as she walks away from the table tells me she is hungry. 😐🙏🏻

could be but hard to know without proper diagnostics. something definitely wrong if you feed her and she still hungry. 

14 hours ago, sahockeygrl15 said:

Even if you did, fuck them. 

"Fuck them" appears to be an acceptable solution ...especially in capitalism. 

Edited by Vamped
  • Like 2

Between my 3 contract jobs I should be able to make ends meet at a bare minimum even with the shelter in place. Trying to look at this as an opportunity to start holding classes online but Im procrastinating due to lack of confidence.

Just got an e-mail from my university saying the state is in emergency hiring mode for social work jobs and they're taking students and retirees. No word on pay but I know its part time so it'll probably pay less than I make now .... but I think I'm gonna give it a shot. 

Gonna scratch out some time at work to update my resume 

• Like 3

On 3/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, SwimOdin said:

Still working, still getting great hours, and I’m covered for nearly seven weeks if we are forced to close. I’m very blessed, just have to not get sick inbetween.

Fuck this fucking company. They lied. Fuck them

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 3/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, Naraku4656 said:

i finally got permission to work from home seeing as there were only like 4 people left in our section. i'll probably work from home through next week then go back the week after since it's my on call week anyway

also i did go back on monday of this week but it was dead. we're "strongly encouraged" to work from home so god only knows when that'll end.

• Like 1