UnevenEdge

Grown Man gushes about Sanic

Lytbryt

Meh, my son tried to get me to take him tonight but it wasn't happening....And for some fucking reason, they don't have school Friday or Monday for "teacher work days" and this comes right after them having 2 fucking snow days last week....

Just looked up and saw I underlined all that shit, oh well...I like leaving shit how it is.

Anyway, this means I'm going to wind up either seeing it tomorrow night or this weekend and if not by Mondy, I will have NO excuse not to take him.

Me....I mean, I've seen all the Kid's movies damn near as of late, so it's no big deal....And since I know a bit about this character, I'll at least be able to see what things I agree with and don't......but my real bummer is........

Wait for it......

I don't like Jim Carrey.....I just don't like him and other over the top entertainers who go to the extremes for a chuckle.....I'm trying to think of others....Chris Farley comes to mind.  I'm sure there's several more but I don't have them dedicated to memory....I'll just run into one and be like "Yeah, see....like this guy...I hate his acting too". 90s era Jaime Foxx would be another, but see.....He grew out of that shit...That just make me look like I hated In Living Color and I didn't.

Carrey has had a few serious roles (I saw Truman show, I love you Phillip Morris and some weird shit like Dark Crimes or something....That was a surreal watch)....But even those he kinda fucks up with that amorphous face of his.....Anyway. guess I'll let you know how it was....Maybe sooner than later.

Ok, just got back....Buddy really enjoyed it.....I tolerated it but have soooooo many gripes.

So let's get the things I enjoyed out of the way, since that list is much smaller......The Easter eggs are always welcome in any nostalgia piece....Callbacks to the music from the game, everything from internet references and fanart made an appearance....And other little things peppered in here and there that just made you smile.  And Carrey's performance in his final scene, absolutely great.  I complained about the dude but what he gave me right before I got out of the seat made me appreciate his contribution.  That's about it.  He opened up the possibility for a sequel (stay for more end credits too though) that due to my optimism, sounds like it may be better than this.

The rest of the movie....Well....lackluster at best.  I mean it's obviously geared towards kids, so there was nothing super daring about the dialogue or the action scenes, but that's to be expected.  The characters were all introduced in a huge clump and there were no big reveals in the center of the film.....It was more akin to a 3rd grade play where character introduction was presented like. "Here's sonic and here's all the people who like him"....."Over here, we have Robotnik and his cronies....They are bad....Now let's tell the story"  It's trite, but again...It's for kids so I wasn't too disappointed with that either......As I continue, I will avoid spoilers but do keep in mind, I will reference the 3 trailers that got shuffled out.

The opening scene.....Completely useless....I get it was there simply to explain how Sonic gets to our world, but it could have easily been narrated instead of characters that will never be seen again introduced as if they were going to be important (again, see end credits)....Complete waste of animation and voice actors.  FF to Earth....It feels like the movie spends a lot of times making excuses for the stupid decisions the producers made along the way.....Even my son was in constant awe of "why didn't they just do this....It's SONIC".

It's like it perpetually asking you to "Look, ignore the fact that he could have just avoided this situation all together by being fast....But we needed to continue this abnormal buddy cop relationship between him and the one human trying to save his life"......If you've seen the trailers, you see that a lot of the scenes happen on a highway.....This is retarded for reasons I can't say without spoiling things, but just let it be known that they saved a lot on the action scenes by this highway being oddly vacant almost all the time.

Carrey (save for his final scene) is completely insufferable....It's not like he's playing Robotnik, but more like he's trying to reinvent the character to fit into his damn near rangeless zone of acting.....Every time he was on screen, all I could think is "what incredibly bad pun is coming next"

The flow of the film is just so awkward......These are 2 dudes on the run, but they seem to just rationalize wasting time constantly just so they can fit in these terrible relationship development scenes as if any of that is needed.....The human is not needed....He (I have no idea who the actor is) got a payday just to kinda hang out.....I spent most of the time facepalming about how this could have been over in mere minutes if they had done ONE THING, but as I said....It's like the writers and producers KNEW how retarded it was and gave a really tepid excuse as to why it didn't happen that way and just expects the audience to accept it.  This would be fine if the character was just 10 years old and only 10 year olds had any barometer with which to evaluate what's given, but it's obvious that the original fans would definitely be showing up with their kids to see the Blue Blur.

When other's have seen it, and someone makes a discussion thread, I hope I get to participate, but if you are an old Sonic fan hoping to see something that'll sate that nostalgia thirst....Don't waste your time....You will be left wanting.  If you want to entertain a 10 year old who played Sonic 2 and Sonic Mania and watched a bunch of Sanic memes videos....This is your movie.

(Edited some parts of the review because i didn't see the post credits until I got home....I really wanted to get out of there because it was packed.)

Edited by cyberbully
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw it today. I agree with most of Buddy's remarks, except Jim Carrey was the only one keeping this movie mildly interesting for me. It is true, however, that he is essentially playing himself and not Robotnik/Eggman.

Otherwise, it's just something for kids to watch on a boring February weekend.

9 hours ago, Gyaos said:

Saw it today. I agree with most of Buddy's remarks, except Jim Carrey was the only one keeping this movie mildly interesting for me. It is true, however, that he is essentially playing himself and not Robotnik/Eggman.

Otherwise, it's just something for kids to watch on a boring February weekend.

Not sure if you saw it, but I edited the review a bit because I saw the post credit scene later.....I think a lot of possibilities opened up that I may have disregarded from not seeing it right away, but the next one might be more my bag.