UnevenEdge
Master-Debater131

Coronavirus: Pandemic or SARS 2.0?

So yea, Coronavirus is shaping up to either be a global pandemic like the Spanish Flu or SARS 2.0.

Nearly 60 Million people in China are currently under a mandatory quarantine as China locks down all access to the epicenter of the outbreak. Nations are starting to either close their borders with China (Mongolia) or they are starting to advise against traveling to China (US). The death-toll in China currently stands at 80 people, with thousands infected. 

The CDC has issued a statement warning of all travel to China and is recommending all Americans simply avoid China. There are 5 known cases of the virus in the US and over 100 people being monitored for symptoms. All of them in people who recently traveled to China. 

Worldwide the cases of the virus continues to increase rapidly, either due to better knowledge of the virus or from people becoming infected. 

In the US the Stock Market tanked today on fears that the virus is spreading and shaping up to be so problematic that it actually impacts the global economy. 

You can look at some more info on the virus on the CDCs website here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Part of what makes this virus so tricky to identify and contain is it can take up to 14 days to actually show symptoms. During those days though you are actually contagious. So you could be walking around spreading the virus with no knowledge that you even have it.

Right now this is looking more like another SARS than a full blown pandemic. That hasnt stopped the player base of Plague Inc. from growing to some of the highest levels ever recorded though. 

I dont know what everyone else is thinking, but Im keeping an eye on this while continuing life as normal. 

• Like 1

My opinion - currently it's SARS 2.0. It's fast traveling and a bitch but it's fatality levels aren't really pandemic stage at this time.

If it's mutation stages make it more deadly as opposed to just a lingering hell-flu, then I'd re-evaluate my opinion. The same would go if the currently known infected start to rapidly die. 

We are more than due for something though. 

Just now, katt_goddess said:

My opinion - currently it's SARS 2.0. It's fast traveling and a bitch but it's fatality levels aren't really pandemic stage at this time.

If it's mutation stages make it more deadly as opposed to just a lingering hell-flu, then I'd re-evaluate my opinion. The same would go if the currently known infected start to rapidly die. 

This... If you look at the sponges thread about this entiteld "Remember when Obama got us Ebola'ed" or whatever I posted a bunch of links to scientific data about the virus. It's actually related to SARS, and in the same family. It also started pretty near the same location. Only this virus has some previously unknown genetic factors. So basically yeah.. Sars 2.0.

13 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Ive been leaning that way as well. It is "scary" and can be really played up, but so far it isnt really at a pandemic level. Its not as fatal and it doesnt even spread as easily as the seasonal flu. Until either of those things change there really isnt a risk of getting it unless you head right into the hot zone. 

We are beyond due for one though, so who knows. 

4 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

This... If you look at the sponges thread about this entiteld "Remember when Obama got us Ebola'ed" or whatever I posted a bunch of links to scientific data about the virus. It's actually related to SARS, and in the same family. It also started pretty near the same location. Only this virus has some previously unknown genetic factors. So basically yeah.. Sars 2.0.

I saw the thread and the links but didn't click them. 

It's the unknown genetic bits that cause people to worry. Until we can know how it's going to mutate, it's hard to prepare for anything realistically without either under or over estimating how things will play out. For many, it's a 'better safe than sorry' thing. 

Honestly, my very selfish thought is that maybe idiots will stay home if they don't feel well as opposed to immediately going shopping while they hack and sneeze all over. 

I'm still about 10% sure I have this, but since the doctors didn't seem concerned I'm not obsessing over it... my cold is getting less horrible, but I do not remember being quite this sick before.

They did give me anti viral pills, which makes me wonder. (never got those before)

Edited by GaiusIuliusCaesar

18 minutes ago, GaiusIuliusCaesar said:

I'm still about 10% sure I have this, but since the doctors didn't seem concerned I'm not obsessing over it... my cold is getting less horrible, but I do not remember being quite this sick before.

They did give me anti viral pills, which makes me wonder. (never got those before)

Captain trips like a mf

9 hours ago, GaiusIuliusCaesar said:

Do you have hypochondriatic (is that a word?) tendencies?

20 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

You have too much faith in humanity then Kat..

I have no faith in humanity.

I work in retail. Some idiot vomited in one of the aisles today because they 'had to do some shopping and thought they'd be able to hold off abit' . :|

I was just hoping the 'I'm sick and scared' crowds would cram themselves in the clinics instead of going hunting for pencils and glitter. 

• Thanks 1

i'll be requesting that we activate the bank's pandemic mitigation plan at tomorrow's weekly meeting. that sounds scary, but it's just a prep stage that basically confirms we're aware of a potential threat and taking steps to prepare for an outbreak. making sure we have masks and gloves and sanitizer stocked up, and staff is notified of any business continuity updates. 

fatality rate is not insignificant, so i'm not shrugging it off just yet. i have school-age kids to worry about, after all. but i'm also not making any changes to my routines until there's report of local cases (there's supposedly a person being monitored for possible infection about 150 miles north of here, but that's not really "local" out here in the sticks).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

i'll be requesting that we activate the bank's pandemic mitigation plan at tomorrow's weekly meeting. that sounds scary, but it's just a prep stage that basically confirms we're aware of a potential threat and taking steps to prepare for an outbreak. making sure we have masks and gloves and sanitizer stocked up, and staff is notified of any business continuity updates. 

fatality rate is not insignificant, so i'm not shrugging it off just yet. i have school-age kids to worry about, after all. but i'm also not making any changes to my routines until there's report of local cases (there's supposedly a person being monitored for possible infection about 150 miles north of here, but that's not really "local" out here in the sticks).

ok  a  plan ?

1 minute ago, ghostrek said:

ok  a  plan ?

the bank has a pandemic mitigation plan that basically outlines the steps we take to ensure the health and safety of employees, and the continuation of operations, during a pandemic outbreak. it includes best practices for interacting with public, use of tools and strategies to minimize the spread of disease, a defined channel of communication with the public concerning any changes to regular service levels, and a clear outline for designation of responsibilities should infection spread through the bank staff. it was a big gripe for FDIC examiners a few years back, so pretty much every financial institution has something similar on their DR/BC radar now.

2 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

the bank has a pandemic mitigation plan that basically outlines the steps we take to ensure the health and safety of employees, and the continuation of operations, during a pandemic outbreak. it includes best practices for interacting with public, use of tools and strategies to minimize the spread of disease, a defined channel of communication with the public concerning any changes to regular service levels, and a clear outline for designation of responsibilities should infection spread through the bank staff. it was a big gripe for FDIC examiners a few years back, so pretty much every financial institution has something similar on their DR/BC radar now.

i dont  think my job has that wish it did  i am kinda wish they did  i am on the front lines of this i am  a janitor

Edited by ghostrek

Just now, ghostrek said:

i dont  think my job has that wish it did  i am kinda on the front lines  i am  a janitor

it doesn't hurt to ask. if they don't, it doesn't take much to accept a new policy. you can find examples online (here's a good one from fema re: influenza), and then just submit one to a manager with the request that it be accepted as policy and that they will agree to follow it when the need arises. they'd be crazy to refuse adoption of a policy if they don't already have one, especially at a time like this.

2 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

it doesn't hurt to ask. if they don't, it doesn't take much to accept a new policy. you can find examples online (here's a good one from fema re: influenza), and then just submit one to a manager with the request that it be accepted as policy and that they will agree to follow it when the need arises. they'd be crazy to refuse adoption of a policy if they don't already have one, especially at a time like this.

ok i will try

9 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

So a right wing church pastor gets granted "press credentials" from the white house, and this is the first thing he says lol.

Could these people even get any more stupid?

The first case of Human to Human transmission has been confirmed in the US

This comes at the same time that the WHO has upgraded the virus and now says this is a "Global Emergency"

Has anyone pointed out the lethality for this thing is less than 2%?  Last year the common flu was like 6% deadly.

Unless you are 90 years old, or 2, or have aids, you can chill.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 3:48 PM, katt_goddess said:

the CDC (and experts) are essentially saying it's more or less like SARS 2.0

and yes, the Flu this year has a higher fatality rate than it does

It largely seems like the reason it's so out of control in China is just because they ignored the disease until so much of china was infected that they didn't have enough medical centers to treat everyone effected by it

Edited by mochi

27 minutes ago, mochi said:

the CDC (and experts) are essentially saying it's more or less like SARS 2.0

and yes, the Flu this year has a higher fatality rate than it does

It largely seems like the reason it's so out of control in China is just because they ignored the disease until so much of china was infected that they didn't have enough medical centers to treat everyone effected by it

I don't think it's so much that it was ignored until it was too late. It has an incubation period of 2 weeks where you don't have any real symptoms but are basically a walking germ factory with a main export of superbugs. If you think about how many people you come into even passing contact with in 2 weeks, that's a lot of new factories running around making new factories before you even start showing signs of sickness. 

Add to that densely packed cities where a ton of people can be exposed in any given day and you end up with large chunks of people getting sick all at the same time with more in the wings just waiting for their incubation alarm to go off. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I don't think it's so much that it was ignored until it was too late. It has an incubation period of 2 weeks where you don't have any real symptoms but are basically a walking germ factory with a main export of superbugs. If you think about how many people you come into even passing contact with in 2 weeks, that's a lot of new factories running around making new factories before you even start showing signs of sickness. 

Add to that densely packed cities where a ton of people can be exposed in any given day and you end up with large chunks of people getting sick all at the same time with more in the wings just waiting for their incubation alarm to go off. 

true, either way, while it spreads very fast it's still only got a fatality rate about on par with the flu, and so far none of the cases outside of China have died

1 minute ago, SwimModSponges said:

Trump can go fuck himself

also republicans just got done saying the Coronavirus is a good thing because it will "bring jobs back to the US. and kill gay people"

1 hour ago, GaiusIuliusCaesar said:

thanks for finding the source for that.

You’re welcome. I looked it up because of your post and because I read China has had 10000+ cases in 2 months and to me that doesn’t seem like a lot for a population that is in the billions, but my math sucks so I could be wrong and that could be a lot. 

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-01-31-20-intl-hnk/index.html

there thing  saying there There could be more than 75,000 cases of coronavirus in China, researchers say that  the head line holy fuck

this  is not good  

and  most of my co-workers(95%) not giving a fuck  remember i clean for living  and  the place i work at deal with the  traveling public

why do my co-workers don't care  plus HELP!!!

Edited by ghostrek

45 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Yeah cuz far be it from Trump to use this as an opportunity to distract us from the impeachment hearings and how we’re witnessing him get away with criminal acts and are being told Nixon shouldn’t have faced impeachment for what he did either 🙄

• Like 2

This is why China breeds a new virus every couple of years or so:

The market was closed on 1 January 2020.[1][4][5] 33 out of 585 animal specimens taken from the market showed evidence of 2019-nCoV.[6]

The market occupies over 50,000 square meters and has over 1,000 tenants.[7][8] It is the largest seafood wholesale market in Wuhan and Central China,[9][10] with its western zone known for its wild animals.[11] The market is located within a couple blocks of the Hankou railway station.[12]

Late 2019, the market passed city official inspections, according to The Wall Street Journal.[6] However, Time reported it to have had "unsanitary" conditions.[13] Its lanes are narrow and the stalls close together, where live stock were kept in close proximity to dead. It was common to see dead animals skinned in the open.[14]

• Like 1

Trump aside.. U.S.  Professionals military and otherwise are tracking this bullshit. Just the word military shouldn't make you scared.. We are greatly equipped as a nation.. and my point is why do conservatives care.. If Chinese experts didn't do their part would we in the states even know what's going on at this point?

Faggot bigotry pisses me off beyond all levels!!!!!!

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

On 1/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, wacky1980 said:

i'll be requesting that we activate the bank's pandemic mitigation plan

Hey, at least your bank has a plan, unlike the US, since Trump has been busily dismantling our ability to respond to disease outbreaks over the last couple years:

It’s impossible to watch [China's response] without wondering, “What would we do? How would my government respond if this virus spread across my country?”

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure.

In the spring of 2018, the White House pushed Congress to cut funding for Obama-era disease security programs, proposing to eliminate $252 million in previously committed resources for rebuilding health systems in Ebola-ravaged Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. Under fire from both sides of the aisle, President Donald Trump dropped the proposal to eliminate Ebola funds a month later. But other White House efforts included reducing $15 billion in national health spending and cutting the global disease-fighting operational budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS. And the government’s $30 million Complex Crises Fund was eliminated.

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross appeared on Fox Business on [1/30] to fan the flames of fear for the sake of hypothetical business opportunities. “It does give businesses yet another thing to consider when they go through their review of their supply chain,” Ross said. “It’s another risk factor that people need to take into account. So, I think it will help accelerate the return of jobs to North America, some to the U.S., probably some to Mexico as well.” Meanwhile, Trump, asked at the recent World Economic Forum gathering in Davos, Switzerland how he intended to respond to the epidemic, said the situation was under control and a world away from the United States.

In recent days, a handful of policy leaders have been shifted from government positions focused on weapons of mass destruction and bioterrorism to the slowly emerging epidemic response infrastructure, such as Matthew Pottinger, Philip Ferro, and David Wade on the NSC and the bioterrorism expert Anthony Ruggiero. It’s not at all clear how they would handle an explosion of coronavirus cases, were such a dreadful thing to occur in the United States.

Martial law, anyone?  Cheeto views every problem as something only a military solution can fix.  Although if it doesn't threaten him, it's not even a problem, and he doesn't mix with the types that get diseases, so maybe it wouldn't come to that.  It's hard to tell if this was done out of sheer incompetence, orders from Putin, or just because it was one more thing Obama had set up that he needed to get rid of.  Maybe AOT,K.  I personally think this won't turn into a pandemic, but if it does, I hope someone sneezes a fat, teeming wad right in Twittler's face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • D'oh 1

@Ginguy  So why'd you downvote that post?  Because it's not Fox propaganda?  "Foreign Policy" is rated unbiased with a slightly rightward lean by mediabiasfactcheck.com and center by allsides.com.  So what exactly are you taking issue with?  (I'm not watching your vid - won't give any time to FauxSnooze)

• Like 1