UnevenEdge

Kobe Bryant died

That_One_Guy

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

First the bushfire, then Iran, then the coronavirus, now this.

2020 ain't playin' around.

A bushfire killing over a billion animals, a virus that has killed thousands, some chopper crash that killed 4 people. I wonder which of these is going to get priority in American news for the next month. 

• D'oh 1

This is just numbing.  I started in Laker Band shortly before his rookie year, and was there when he retired with 61.  I was there for just about every home game.  It’s inconceivable that he would be gone just like that.  We’re set to play the National Anthem at the next game Tuesday, and can’t fathom what that will be like.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

very sad to see that there still remains insensitive, mindless dummies on these boards who come into these types of threads (instead of staying out of them, since they so clearly dont care about the person) to discuss how people with international fame shouldnt be remembered, even though, to some, the person in question was important.

like others have said: absolutely unreal. grew up watching him; was the new jordan for me and my friends after seeing jordan retire. and learning about his life philosophies after he left the game was incredibly inspirational. i cant even look at headlines about this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s shocking how sudden it all happened and how many people it took. Kobe left behind a legacy of being one of the few basketball players to stand out in a post-MJ/pre-LeBron NBA and excel far enough to be a master of his craft. He also left behind a history of questionable trash talk, bad blood, and the 2003 rape case. Because I haven’t been a big Lakers person, it’s been easier to remember him for the hotel case than exactly which records he broke. 

But at the same time, it’d be difficult to write about basketball and omit Kobe’s contributions to the sport, let alone how massive both him and Shaq’s teamwork and rivalry were to late 90’s basketball. 

It’s also tragic that his 13 year old daughter was in the crash. Say what you will of Kobe’s past, but it’s a horrific accident and situation I’d never wish on him or his family to see your kid in the same crashing helicopter you’re trapped in. It’s just an overall tragic, abrupt, and senseless end to the story of Kobe Bryant. 

Edited by Chapzilla_2000

2 hours ago, Seight said:

I forget where I saw this but, supposedly, TMZ broke the story before the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department had time to notify Kobe's family.

This would be no surprise to me. They would do anything and everything to get a scoop like this. It's why I absolutely despise them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chapzilla_2000 said:

It’s shocking how sudden it all happened and how many people it took. Kobe left behind a legacy of being one of the few basketball players to stand out in a post-MJ/pre-LeBron NBA and excel far enough to be a master of his craft. He also left behind a history of questionable trash talk, bad blood, and the 2003 rape case. Because I haven’t been a big Lakers person, it’s been easier to remember him for the hotel case than exactly which records he broke. 

But at the same time, it’d be difficult to write about basketball and omit Kobe’s contributions to the sport, let alone how massive both him and Shaw’s teamwork and rivalry were to late 90’s basketball. 

It’s also tragic that his 13 year old daughter was in the crash. Say what you will of Kobe’s past, but it’s a horrific accident and situation I’d never wish on him or his family to see your kid in the same crashing helicopter you’re trapped in. It’s just an overall tragic, abrupt, and senseless end to the story of Kobe Bryant. 

I really wish there was room to have a real discussion about this, but too many people who give zero fucks about sexual assault and suddenly want to chime in because he was a famous black basketball player are poisoning every attempt when many are already emotional about this. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

I really wish there was room to have a real discussion about this, but too many people who give zero fucks about sexual assault and suddenly want to chime in because he was a famous black basketball player are poisoning every attempt when many are already emotional about this. 

Yeah, it’s gonna take time before people are able to comfortably discuss the full extent of his sexual assault case or the intersection of the consequences of being a famous athlete accused of sexual assault with his death being both recent and tragic with regards to his daughter being among the crash’s victims.

Where it isn’t a situation where it’s easy to have a discussion on separating a person’s accomplishments with the seedier aspects of their behavior when you have both people who only want to pay respects to his career and people who are taken aback by how sudden and brutal his death was. 

It’s even harder to find an inbetween when the only people who want to discuss Kobe’s trial are people who want to do it to rub it in people’s faces as if you’re a horrible person for paying respects like everyone else who wants to throw an RIP here and there.

And it really doesn’t help when any mentions of the hotel are met by people who want to vanguard the idealized image of Kobe by dipping into the aughts-era victim blaming that has made it easy to defend athletes accused of sexual assault in the name of making sure your favorite sports team can keep on winning. But that’s an issue larger than Kobe with high school and college sports teams rallying as a whole behind the idea of protecting their athletes by systematically dog-piling on rape victims. That’s mostly in response to seeing Jizz try to slut-shame the hotel trial’s plaintiff to discredit her story in the FFA comic thread. 

Again, it might not be the best thread, time, or place for the discussion. Topics like the sports media’s response to rape, the casual homophobia in court side trash talk that Kobe had partaken in, and the racial elements of demonizing black celebrities for committing crimes vs. hand waving criminal activity white celebrities have committed are different threads entirely. 

At the same time, I feel like there are ways to be able to acknowledge the best and worst of Kobe as a person without divorcing the elephant in the room from his legacy. 

• Thanks 2

Unfortunately, a big part of the legacy of Kobe is his problematic cult of personality.  That rape case served as a road map to all of the obstacles women face leading into the #metoo movement, and, for better or worse, discussing it as part of his legacy will always be important because it's a window into his personality.  A friend of mine worked security for Kobe for a short time and had stories about how arrogant, stand-offish, and seemingly unfeeling he could be to people he didn't know; that's a huge disconnect from the image that Kobe presented to fellow elite athletes and to the public in general of a motivator.  The man that the Colorado victim talked about in the bits and pieces we got is very much the former rather than the latter, but the cult he built up through a carefully built media presence tended to disguise this about him.

Ultimately, that means a big part of the shock of losing him should be the fact that it is, in part, a reaction to the Kobe everyone thinks of is not authentic and we may never know the man he really was both on the court and in that hotel room.

• D'oh 1

rip mamba!

i know i talked shit about him, his last years of his career werent great but i respected his game and mentality. 

his first few years he was one of the most exciting players to watch. and later in his career he really mastered his craft.

truly the ultimate competitor and an inspiration to millions around the world. 

even after he retired i enjoyed his narration work and was hoping to hear more in the future. 

• Like 1