UnevenEdge

Higurashi: When They Cry to have new anime project produced by Studio Passone.

Gyaos

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who's seen the anime and followed it since its inception. I'm not familiar with the visual novel or the games, but I love the anime series up to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (2009). If it ends up being anything like Kira, I will start to break shit in my room.

Anyway, here's a teaser:

Why?

I mean, once the OVAs started focusing on comedy and fanservice exclusively, it was over. They adapted Outbreak for fucks sake. If you're out of ideas for interesting stories in the franchise, it's been 15 years - you can move on.

It'll never happen, but I'd at least have enthusiasm if they did Onisarashi-hen. The problem being they won't and I know they won't since it's not following any of the main cast, so it isn't marketable as Higurashi.

I don't say any of that to shit on Higurashi, I like the show. I just don't like how much they've milked it dry.

So, here's to vainly hoping it's not going to be another misguided panderfest for all 5 people looking for Higurashi merch in 2020.

The second most misguided decision that Passione made since they let Giorno into the gang.

But I do feel like the comedy OVAs were writing on the wall that there wasn't anything left to say about Higurashi that wasn't said in the the old anime & Kai. Anything else would either retread on fine enough territory or make a mockery out of the source material.

At this point, they'd be better off adapting other Ryukishi07 material than trying to resurrect Higurashi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 5:08 AM, Chapzilla_2000 said:

At this point, they'd be better off adapting other Ryukishi07 material than trying to resurrect Higurashi.

Umineko was...... probably the worst anime I've seen, as far as TV series by a company as noteworthy as Deen are concerned. I get that they don't have an incredible track record, but Umineko is physically exhausting to watch.

And Ookami Kakushi is, in fact, a show that exists. That's about 99% of what I have to say about. All I really remember is that it set up an expectation that something would happen and it was a lie.

So I can't really say I have much faith in his stuff as anime. I don't know how good or bad the source material is, just that Higurashi is good (wouldn't call it great), Ookami Kakushi was boring and sometimes kind of bad, and Umineko was like 2 hours of intrigue followed by 6 hours of being waterboarded.

I forgot I made this thread. *Ahem.*

Yeah. I agree that this series should have been left behind or at least concluded with Rei. Let the characters enjoy the rest of their lives in Hinamizawa.

I truly believe the story should have ended with Kai, but I liked Rei enough to where it didn't bother me.