UnevenEdge

Filipino TV makes a live action version of Voltes V with a confirmed 2023 release

Jman

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

At least it's several steps up from The Nutshack.

I dare not ask what that is.

My point stands that this is straight the hell out of nowhere, I have no idea how the Filipino film industry is, and if it does get international distribution it will air on Netflix.

11 hours ago, panic said:

It's going to be an overacted, melodramatic romcom starring a bleached-white filipina speaking taglish. Can't wait, diba?

And Toei signed off on this.

At least if it is bad the fail will be contained.  I have no idea what the Filipino studio system is like for international distribution.  

If it does go over well, Netflix probably will air it internationally.

• 1 year later...

The fact that we got this before Hollywood could get off their asses and make a Gundam film is kind of sad.  

That being said, if it ends up being better than Voltron Legendary Defender (an admitted low bar) I will laugh myself silly.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 8:28 PM, Jman said:

I dare not ask what that is.

My point stands that this is straight the hell out of nowhere, I have no idea how the Filipino film industry is, and if it does get international distribution it will air on Netflix.

ITS

THE 

NUT-

SHACK

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Featurertte - 

I feel like I should be grading this on a curve since Filipino TV does not do this sort of thing normally.  By their own admission this is the most expensive production in the network’s history and while it’s not Hollywood level AT ALL there is a clear sense of enthusiasm a lot of productions don’t have.

Another trailer and again, I feel like I have to grade this on a massive curve because this is the first time the Filipino film industry has done something like this, even with Toei apparently holding their hand every step of the way.  

It's still an interesting curio even if odds are this will never be seen outside of the Philippines except on YouTube (although if it's successful Netflix will likely get the international rights).  With Amazon Studios and the guy who did Red Notice and Dodgeball making a big-budget Voltron film that seems designed to go "Fuck that lame Dreamworks show", I can only imagine the comparisons, even if Voltron is likely to have a budget in the nine-figure range.

18 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I know almost nothing about the series other than its name but that looks pretty damn impressive all things considered.

I think that’s why I’m following it (that and viewing it as a beta for Amazon’s planned big budget Voltron movie).  When you see an industry that doesn’t do anything this big tackle a project this ambitious, you can’t help but be curious.

Toei’s support and approval seems to at least confirm they met a quality standard (I would assume that of Reiwa-era tokusatsu).

• 4 months later...