UnevenEdge

21 hours ago, elfie said:

One of the spin-off comics that Toonami funded detailed the origin story of one of the TOMs. It was totally different from the one described here.

Haven't had a chance to watch the clip yet, but I remember reading a comic about the switch from Tom 2 to 3, which they never had total immersion event for.  I assume that's still canon.  Looks like this one is Tom 1 and not sure how it would conflict with what we are seeing here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering that this TIE is the only thing on Toonami I've been watching over the past month and change, I might as well comment on it.

The Forge has been pretty cool, although I think it represents the inherent limits of telling a story in this manner. Since the Toonami crew has been working on this for probably longer than any other TIE and yet they've only been able to come up with five-minute episodes, it makes me wonder what the point of doing this is at all if you don't have a really big team. Still, this special has been enjoyable from a standpoint of being a fun, briskly-paced action adventure, and the dialogue has to be snappy as hell to get it to fit in the shorter slots. I've especially enjoyed TOM's corny one-liners, plus one of the little yellow TOMs saying something to the extent of "First law of robots!" in regards to their programming.

TOM 5's death was pretty sad. I don't think any of them have gone out writhing in pain on the floor like that. Of course, since this has happened several times before, it makes 150% sense that SARA would have him backed up for a new model. Now, TOM 6 is... eh, I'm actually not as fond of him as others. Something about the tall and wide visor throws me off, but on the plus side, I like the raised circles on the side of his head. He looks like he's wearing headphones. The Beau Billingslea-voiced aliens are also cool, but I wish they'd been more fleshed out instead of just standing as the arbitrary villains. This is something another Toonami comic could get into, maybe by tying more history about the TOMs into it. Then again, I never got around to reading the one about TOM 4, so I might as well forgive it. 😜

By the way, it seems the new graphics package for Toonami has been leaked.

Spoiler

I like it! It almost has a vaporwave aesthetic, with lots of cool, muted colors (including that particular shade of purple) and sharp angles. I don't think anything will beat out the pre-Intruder 2 look for me, but it's a fitting refresh as we head into the 2020s.

Here's to the last episode before it airs tonight, as well as (hopefully) another decade of Toonami goodness. Cheers. 🍸

Edited by Blatch
It's not a possessive.
  • Confused 1

Status quo changes:

- New TOM 6 with new body

- New ship, called The Forge, the third ship in the block's canon

- New crew of identical TOMs

Non-changes:

- same TOM and SARA voices

- same SARA design

Lost:

- Clydes, who appear to be lost forever in-universe and out