UnevenEdge
jackiemarie90

lol I'm dropping my CS class

Honestly, I've really tried to push through all the bullshit. I've been crying every night about this shit and I'm just done. The 1st week I honestly didn't even know what was going on, they literally kept changing where lectures were going to be held, and I kept missing lectures which made me find behind the coursework. And when I did know the room number, my mind kept fucking up numbers like reading 87, as 81, or 3215 to 3125 because I have ADHD and fuck me. And that stupid counselor was just in my head for two weeks now, telling me I can't do shit and him being right. I even went to teacher office hours, but there is no way a teacher can talk to 2000 students so it was just really 3rd year, 20 yr old TAs who were mostly familiar with running programs on Macs, not my cheap ass windows. lol Also I'm not on any adderall or anti depressants cause I haven't figured that out yet since moving to Oakland. I actually like Oakland  tho. People on the streets are always nice to me complimenting my raiders backpack. But the rich kids at Berkeley can get fucked, they suck. I do have some safe places, mostly from the ethnic studies areas, I've been taking their transfer prep classes and they are all super awesome people. Some are from the bay so they are cool, but Oh my god CS is such a bullshit place to be. I don't want to give up but I don't know how to survive over there. I'm still taking Calculus because that's not that bad, even though I bombed the quiz, I know I can do better now that dropping 1 CS class is also dropping a lab and discussion class with it. Thinking of adding an elementary type CS class, or maybe even a History seminar that I know I can excel easily in. I also don't know how to be social or in contact with family, so don't really have anyone else to rant too. I think I scare my hall mates too cause I got lots of violent video game posters (even though I love those games for the narratives lol) that they don't understand and I'm just weird.

Bonus content: Found someone else's rant that talks similar about the culture here.

Spoiler

rant.thumb.PNG.fb84399eb90afff3412bf475a0d63392.PNG

Edited by jackiemarie90
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

It's perfectly fine to drop out of a class like that when you're starting.  No need to stress yet.  How many credits are you pulling this semester?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It's perfectly fine to drop out of a class like that when you're starting.  No need to stress yet.  How many credits are you pulling this semester?

Berk demands 13, at 1st 16, then 12, I just got an email from another teacher right now so I'm going to keep at 12 and take an intro CS class.

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Cool

I'm also waiting for to turn in disabilities paperwork too. I qualify just haven't had the proper paperwork from a doctor. They let you take a reduced workload and give you an extra year to graduate.

• Like 1

I heard from several different ppl that there is a lot of racism at Berkeley

35 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

So you can carry less credits for full time?

I think so. They normally force students to have 13 units unless they stated otherwise. Probably to funnel students out faster to introduce a new customers, freshmen class.

18 minutes ago, Poof said:

I heard from several different ppl that there is a lot of racism at Berkeley

I think a lot of it has to do with Prop 209 passed in California that prohibits schools to choose students on the basis of race/and other social factors. It has created a noticable decrease in students of color and created immense underrepresentation here. 

11 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I think so. They normally force students to have 13 units unless they stated otherwise. Probably to funnel students out faster to introduce a new customers, freshmen class.

What happens is you have less than 13?

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

What happens is you have less than 13?

I guess academic probation? Usually the first time is a warning and a seminar you have to go to.

Well that's kind of fucked.  I forgot what our minimum was, but i thought it was like 10 maybe?  Never got close to the minimum, though.

6 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Honestly, I've really tried to push through all the bullshit. I've been crying every night about this shit and I'm just done. The 1st week I honestly didn't even know what was going on, they literally kept changing where lectures were going to be held, and I kept missing lectures which made me find behind the coursework. And when I did know the room number, my mind kept fucking up numbers like reading 87, as 81, or 3215 to 3125 because I have ADHD and fuck me. And that stupid counselor was just in my head for two weeks now, telling me I can't do shit and him being right. I even went to teacher office hours, but there is no way a teacher can talk to 2000 students so it was just really 3rd year, 20 yr old TAs who were mostly familiar with running programs on Macs, not my cheap ass windows. lol Also I'm not on any adderall or anti depressants cause I haven't figured that out yet since moving to Oakland. I actually like Oakland  tho. People on the streets are always nice to me complimenting my raiders backpack. But the rich kids at Berkeley can get fucked, they suck. I do have some safe places, mostly from the ethnic studies areas, I've been taking their transfer prep classes and they are all super awesome people. Some are from the bay so they are cool, but Oh my god CS is such a bullshit place to be. I don't want to give up but I don't know how to survive over there. I'm still taking Calculus because that's not that bad, even though I bombed the quiz, I know I can do better now that dropping 1 CS class is also dropping a lab and discussion class with it. Thinking of adding an elementary type CS class, or maybe even a History seminar that I know I can excel easily in. I also don't know how to be social or in contact with family, so don't really have anyone else to rant too. I think I scare my hall mates too cause I got lots of violent video game posters (even though I love those games for the narratives lol) that they don't understand and I'm just weird.

Bonus content: Found someone else's rant that talks similar about the culture here.

Hide contents

rant.thumb.PNG.fb84399eb90afff3412bf475a0d63392.PNG

Definitely get the Adderal if you think ADHD is affecting your performance. As for the anti-depressants, are these a prescription you're already used to? If not, getting the brain cocktail right might be better during a time like in between semesters. Dealing with side effects on top of all this might put more pressure on you. Adjusting your classes at this stage is normal, so try not to stress about it and just concentrate on moving forward. In this post are some of your strengths, weaknesses, and ways to improve. So even with that douchebag's words in your mind and the stress, your head is still in the game. Rich kids ain't shit and they're boring as fuck anyways. How early are you able to make it to classes so you have 'Aw shit, this bitch changed the classroom again' or 'Motherfucker, that's a 2!' extra time? Big eyeroll at the Mac/Windows drama because that's not even surprising. Folks like that can't even understand why anyone would lower themselves to have a laptop under $1500. One more thing to add, TREAT YO SELF! Maybe food, a game, a movie you like to watch on repeat, just find something that can give you a little joy when you need it. 

• Like 6

Don't feel bad about dropping that class, you're still adjusting. You need to do what is best for you. Academic probation is what it is, you'll still have the opportunity to get back into good standing. Turn in your documents and get the medication you need if its going to help you be successful. I hate that you have to deal with all that racism shit. When I first went to college on the opposite end of TN, it was too racist for me and there were maybe like .... 6 other black students ... 4 of them went back home when I did. As far as antidepressant go, I agree with SorceressPol .When my grandma died, I was having some bad anxiety and my doctor prescribed a small dose of antidepressant, it made my brain foggy, like my short term recall was shit so I stopped taking it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alien_Nation said:

I just gotta sit back and lol at all the "pill head" comments when most ya'll on anti-depressants.

Who's really the sad one here.

Still you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Alien_Nation said:

I just gotta sit back and lol at all the "pill head" comments when most ya'll on anti-depressants.

Ghostrek

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Alien_Nation said:

probably the ppl who don't black out while driving

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alien_Nation said:

I don't black out while driving.

I never even been in a car accident.

You blacked out in the parking lot many times tho right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alien_Nation said:

I don't black out while driving.

I never even been in a car accident.

yes you have

• Like 1

Just now, Alien_Nation said:

Prove it.

you rear ended that gay guy remember?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alien_Nation said:

Zero damage.

And I thank my lucky stars everyday that you weren't hurt

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Well that's kind of fucked.  I forgot what our minimum was, but i thought it was like 10 maybe?  Never got close to the minimum, though.

It be like that tho lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Definitely get the Adderal if you think ADHD is affecting your performance. As for the anti-depressants, are these a prescription you're already used to? If not, getting the brain cocktail right might be better during a time like in between semesters. Dealing with side effects on top of all this might put more pressure on you. Adjusting your classes at this stage is normal, so try not to stress about it and just concentrate on moving forward. In this post are some of your strengths, weaknesses, and ways to improve. So even with that douchebag's words in your mind and the stress, your head is still in the game. Rich kids ain't shit and they're boring as fuck anyways. How early are you able to make it to classes so you have 'Aw shit, this bitch changed the classroom again' or 'Motherfucker, that's a 2!' extra time? Big eyeroll at the Mac/Windows drama because that's not even surprising. Folks like that can't even understand why anyone would lower themselves to have a laptop under $1500. One more thing to add, TREAT YO SELF! Maybe food, a game, a movie you like to watch on repeat, just find something that can give you a little joy when you need it. 

I think you are right about the anti depressants. At this point it could just create more trouble. I’ll be seeing therapist next week to go over disabilities. I have a lot 9:30 am classes and I tend to run late in the morning. I was running to class today and ate it on the street. Scraped off skin off my elbow. But the biggest help has been google calendars that notifies me when my next class is and time. Iol I’m treating to treat myself but I’m also on a residence hall payment plan. >.> Gotta save up my financial aid <.<

5 hours ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

Ive dropped many classes

No big deal

Yeah, normally it isn’t. It just hurts that someone told me I couldn’t handle these classes and it sucks that they were right. Cause then they might just be right that kids from community college don’t measure up.

5 hours ago, Vamped said:

Don't feel bad about dropping that class, you're still adjusting. You need to do what is best for you. Academic probation is what it is, you'll still have the opportunity to get back into good standing. Turn in your documents and get the medication you need if its going to help you be successful. I hate that you have to deal with all that racism shit. When I first went to college on the opposite end of TN, it was too racist for me and there were maybe like .... 6 other black students ... 4 of them went back home when I did. As far as antidepressant go, I agree with SorceressPol .When my grandma died, I was having some bad anxiety and my doctor prescribed a small dose of antidepressant, it made my brain foggy, like my short term recall was shit so I stopped taking it. 

There have been studies done on why some students of color don’t succeed as easily as their peers and they concluded it has nothing to with capabilities, but the students sense of belonging. When they addressed these issues on campus, they saw an improvement in grades. https://ucat.osu.edu/bookshelf/teaching-topics/shaping-a-positive-learning-environment/sense-of-belonging-in-the-college-classroom/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alien_Nation said:

Just remember... if things get too tough out there, you can always come back home.

Image result for kitchen

It will always be waiting for you.

Don’t you live with your parents?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

bucket doesn't call his mom's boyfriends "dad" just yet. he's still getting over ... well, you know.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

It's weird how polarizing that section of our community is....They are either the humblest, sweetest, most well grounded people on the board, or either the most useless, stupid, aggressive and pompously broke of our users...It's a weird dynamic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alien_Nation said:

Still you.  You're not smart enough to see the inside of a CC, let alone at Tier 1 university.

• Like 1

Just now, Alien_Nation said:

Anime is their heroin. 

That's literally the only difference. 

Dude....You're just scribbling on the wall at this point...Dial it back a bit

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sho Minamimoto said:

It's weird how polarizing that section of our community is....They are either the humblest, sweetest, most well grounded people on the board, or either the most useless, stupid, aggressive and pompously broke of our users...It's a weird dynamic.

Well Its just to weird to me to say “move in with me” when he technically doesn’t own the place lol. Nothing with wrong actually living with your parents.

• Like 2

Just now, jackiemarie90 said:

Nothing with wrong actually living with your parents.

It's not, normally....Only when you talk down to people when you do.

And Bucket has a strange history with that.

• Like 2

Like others have already said, don't sweat dropping a class. It can feel like a sucky decision but honestly it's a better decision than trying to gut through it and tanking other classes out of stress as well as your overall GPA. 

And it's not that uncommon. A lot of incoming freshmen tend to think that college is just a general continuation of high school with the same levels of homework and reading requirements and schedule things with that in mind. Instead, college classes are little slices of intense hell that all believe they are the only possibly worthy class you could be taking at this exact time and plan their workloads accordingly. First semesters can be a trial by fire. Drop a BS class, learn from the experience and plot out future semesters according to your new understanding of what you are able to handle. ;) You will do just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, jackiemarie90 said:

Yeah, normally it isn’t. It just hurts that someone told me I couldn’t handle these classes and it sucks that they were right. Cause then they might just be right that kids from community college don’t measure up.

Before I say anything further, I want to ask you something.

In the initial thread you made about that counselor, you said you needed to take this CS class this semester to "graduate on time." Is this deadline set by the school, like if you don't graduate by then, you just plain don't graduate at all, or is this a goal you set for yourself?