UnevenEdge
SwimModSponges

"Adult language" is becoming increasingly normalized by society.

There will come a time when a five year old says "fucking god damnit," and their kindergarten teacher will be all like "shit man, whats wrong?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Not really a rant because I support this.

I don't. 

English is a rich and varied language, with many satisfying ways to heap invective upon the heads of those we find offensive, and a host of interjections to fit all occasions. It's a troubling sign of sheer laziness to resort to pithy monosyllabic epithets of Anglo-Saxon origin, and to normalize this pattern of speech is to encourage sloth and intellectual stagnation.

So fuck you, dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, fuggstop said:

Trust me little kids are not allowed to use adult language. 

You haven't been on a playground lately, have you? Lack of permission doesn't seem to be much of an obstacle.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mthor said:

You haven't been on a playground lately, have you? Lack of permission doesn't seem to be much of an obstacle.

Yes i have and they dont talk foul around me. Maybe them kids dont fear you. Id slap them into next Friday. 

• D'oh 1

4 hours ago, mthor said:

Lack of permission doesn't seem to be much of an obstacle.

it's true for so many things. i still correct my kids when they cuss, but i'm almost to the point where i'd rather teach them how to encourage proper use of said cuss. 

5yo: this supper is shittin' good

me: no child, this supper is fuckin' good. now finish your god damn peas.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

it's true for so many things. i still correct my kids when they cuss, but i'm almost to the point where i'd rather teach them how to encourage proper use of said cuss. 

5yo: this supper is shittin' good

me: no child, this supper is fuckin' good. now finish your god damn peas.

5 yo? 😡

6 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

There will come a time when a five year old says "fucking god damnit," and their kindergarten teacher will be all like "shit man, whats wrong?

Meh, my kids know which words I use that they can't...Never had this problem other than at one point they were using f*ggot and I asked where they learned that because I KNEW they had never heard me say it and they said that people at school use it all the time so they didn't know it was a bad word.....Not exactly a curse word, but I had to explain to them that that word is very offensive to some people, especially if they messed around and said it around their uncle and it was akin to someone calling them nigger, and since Buddy already kicked some kid's ass for calling his sister a nigger, it was easy to modify that behavior.  

But no, I don't think kids just normalize cursing....Even the kids that visit the house don't use them that I've seen.  Hell, buddy tells his friends when he's on PSN that his servers are PG and he'll ban anyone with a potty mouth.

• Like 5

On 1/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, fuggstop said:

Madison loved it. She wanted to play it again first thing the next morning and i said no cuz she wants me to do the choosing and i hadn't even eaten breakfast. So then she goes:

"You haven't even been awake 5 minutes and you're already pissing me off."

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sho Minamimoto said:

Yah but piss is not really a cuss word like faggot. She said pussy last week and didn't get in trouble either. She learned it cuz i was playing this ratchet YouTube too loud.

9 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

Yah but piss is not really a cuss word like faggot. She said pussy last week and didn't get in trouble either. She learned it cuz i was playing this ratchet YouTube too loud.

Difference being I put a stop to it....You're just like "Duh, ok, cool"

So maybe Sponges is right....As long as indifferent parents allow their kids to become boorish louts before they reach puberty, it's likely to become normal.

Sorry for disagreeing @SwimModSponges It seems you have one again hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2

Just now, Sho Minamimoto said:

Difference being I put a stop to it....You're just like "Duh, ok, cool"

So maybe Sponges is right....As long as indifferent parents allow their kids to become boorish louts before they reach puberty, it's likely to become normal.

Sorry for disagreeing @SwimModSponges It seems you have one again hit the nail on the head.

Only word she can say is pissed and i haven't heard her use it since then. She can pull it out on special occasions.

I don't think thatll lead to a 4 year old saying goddamit shit or whatever sponges said up there

6 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

when i was very little i called my younger sister a slut and my mother got very upset and was very vague when she told me what it meant

"it's when a girl goes home with too many men"

wtf does that mean, i'm 8 years old

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

when i was very little i called my younger sister a slut and my mother got very upset and was very vague when she told me what it meant

"it's when a girl goes home with too many men"

wtf does that mean, i'm 8 years old

"Thousands of years ago...." My friends and I were watching Swamp Thing on TV at one of their houses....I think it was on USA but that doesn't matter....Anyway, one of them said "he looks like a cum thing".....None of us understood that, but my friend's mom was like "don't say that again or I'm calling your mother"

So we were all curious as to what went wrong....Because we heard it as "come thing" and the reaction made no sense....So we asked the kid who said it and he said it was poop....So since the other kid's mom was ear hustling, she came back in and said "It's not poop and I'll tell you all what it means when you're 18".....Well, needless to say, we found out not long after that by asking other friends, and she didn't live long enough to tell us anyway. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sho Minamimoto said:

"Thousands of years ago...." My friends and I were watching Swamp Thing on TV at one of their houses....I think it was on USA but that doesn't matter....Anyway, one of them said "he looks like a cum thing".....None of us understood that, but my friend's mom was like "don't say that again or I'm calling your mother"

So we were all curious as to what went wrong....Because we heard it as "come thing" and the reaction made no sense....So we asked the kid who said it and he said it was poop....So since the other kid's mom was ear hustling, she came back in and said "It's not poop and I'll tell you all what it means when you're 18".....Well, needless to say, we found out not long after that by asking other friends, and she didn't live long enough to tell us anyway. 

That story really had a downer of an ending.

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

That story really had a downer of an ending.

She was a chain smoker....Died right before his senior year (I was a grade ahead of him)...

Every time I went to his house my mom made me strip and get in the shower when I came home because of the smoke embedded into my clothes and hair....But this was in the 80s so the whole second hand smoke thing hadn't gained the traction that it deserved.  Pretty sure we were all dying over there a little bit.

• Like 1

So we were having lunch with the inlaws/a few of their friends the other day. Sister in law's friend orders a bloody mary.

Six year old nephew says "Bloody Mary? Bloody Mary is a whore."

We're all like "Ok dude, never met her but I guess we'll take your word on that."

Turns out he meant to say "horror."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fuggstop said:

5 yo? 😡

well to be honest, his vocabulary was pretty sketchy at 3. now that he's 5, he doesn't misuse cuss words anymore. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

So we were having lunch with the inlaws/a few of their friends the other day. Sister in law's friend orders a bloody mary.

Six year old nephew says "Bloody Mary? Bloody Mary is a whore."

We're all like "Ok dude, never met her but I guess we'll take your word on that."

Turns out he meant to say "horror."

https://unevenedge.com/topic/36557-i-got-in-trouble-for-saying-dildo-when-i-was-a-young-child/?tab=comments#comment-662126

To me the whole concept of "bad words" is stupid. "It's perfectly fine to say this one word, but DON'T YOU EVEN DARE to say this other word that means literally the exact same thing!"

And what's the point of teaching children not to use "naughty" language when the vast majority of us use it as adults (or earlier... sometimes far earlier) anyway? It's not like teaching kids not to hit people where that lesson actually sticks and most people when they reach a certain age literally stop hitting people when they get mad at them.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:21 AM, SwimModSponges said:

My fifth grade teacher corrected a student who said, "Shit, man..."

The teacher said, "Do it yourself.  The Shit Man isn't going to help you."

• D'oh 2