UnevenEdge
Sign in to follow this  
helpme

OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma seeking to settle 2,000 lawsuits for up to $12B

OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma and its owners, the Sackler family, are in discussion to settle more than 2,000 opioid lawsuits against the company for $10 billion to $12 billion US, two people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.

Purdue is among several drugmakers and distributors that have been sued for fuelling an opioid addiction crisis in the United States, which claimed 400,000 lives from 1999 to 2017, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/purdue-pharma-oxycontin-lawsuits-1.5261606

Posted (edited)

So what specifically is your rant?

This is a multi-faceted issue, and I'm not sure what direction you're headed, or which point out of many possible that you're trying to make.

Edited by mthor

8 minutes ago, mthor said:

So what specifically is your rant?

This is a multi-faceted issue, and I'm not sure what direction you're headed, or which point out of many possible that you're trying to make.

The fact they purposely kept adding to the crisis versus stopping it

5 minutes ago, helpme said:

The fact they purposely kept adding to the crisis versus stopping it

I don't think anybody has purposely done anything to bring about or add to the opioid crisis. Rather, the possible consequences were swept under the rug in favor of profit. I personally find it more offensive that now is when Purdue decides to work harder on getting its narcotic antagonist on the market. Timing is everything - funny that it got fast-tracked by the FDA in March of this year. Wonder if the request for approval was submitted before or after the lawsuits. And I wonder what the little problem with it will be... These are the same people who originally marketed oxycontin as having less addictive potential than, say Percocet.

1 hour ago, mthor said:

I don't think anybody has purposely done anything to bring about or add to the opioid crisis. Rather, the possible consequences were swept under the rug in favor of profit. I personally find it more offensive that now is when Purdue decides to work harder on getting its narcotic antagonist on the market. Timing is everything - funny that it got fast-tracked by the FDA in March of this year. Wonder if the request for approval was submitted before or after the lawsuits. And I wonder what the little problem with it will be... These are the same people who originally marketed oxycontin as having less addictive potential than, say Percocet.

Johnson and Johnson got sued not that long ago as well 

5 hours ago, helpme said:

Johnson and Johnson got sued not that long ago as well 

Suing big pharma is an industry. Don't you watch TV?

How many billions will they have left after negative 12 billion?

My take on this. They wanted the money and didn't care what happened and they were still pushing those pills even while these lawsuits were being formalized and their lawyers were hunting for defenses. They want to settle quick and in a bulk that they set to try to cut off any further lawsuits along the way. 

I was given hydrocodone after my last surgery and was told straight up to not be a hero and take my meds for pain. And that they'd do refills if I requested [ original script = 8 ] . I took one. For 20 minutes, it actually worked and REALLY worked. Every ache and pain I've had for decades was gone. At 21 minutes, it stopped working HARD. Every ache and pain came back in full force and every natural pain blocker I had had to deal with everything had been stripped away by that single pill. I refused to take another one. When the crash leaves you crippled up barely able to move for a couple of hours while things try to readjust naturally, 20 minutes of feeling normal isn't worth it to me. And a few days later I was getting auto-calls regarding refilling my prescription. :| Those bastards went into the pill disposal at CVS. No real doctor follow-up, just refill calls. Because they know that there are people who aren't going to wait 4 hours between pills that crash and they won't want to deal with that crash and that's who they are marketing towards. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/28/2019 at 5:48 PM, katt_goddess said:

My take on this. They wanted the money and didn't care what happened and they were still pushing those pills even while these lawsuits were being formalized and their lawyers were hunting for defenses. They want to settle quick and in a bulk that they set to try to cut off any further lawsuits along the way. 

I was given hydrocodone after my last surgery and was told straight up to not be a hero and take my meds for pain. And that they'd do refills if I requested [ original script = 8 ] . I took one. For 20 minutes, it actually worked and REALLY worked. Every ache and pain I've had for decades was gone. At 21 minutes, it stopped working HARD. Every ache and pain came back in full force and every natural pain blocker I had had to deal with everything had been stripped away by that single pill. I refused to take another one. When the crash leaves you crippled up barely able to move for a couple of hours while things try to readjust naturally, 20 minutes of feeling normal isn't worth it to me. And a few days later I was getting auto-calls regarding refilling my prescription. :| Those bastards went into the pill disposal at CVS. No real doctor follow-up, just refill calls. Because they know that there are people who aren't going to wait 4 hours between pills that crash and they won't want to deal with that crash and that's who they are marketing towards. 

When was your last surgery? That's not the typical experience I've heard about over the past few years, and it's not the kind of experience that I had (I had surgery in 2017; it involved a10-inch abdominal incision. I got 30 vicodin with a maximum daily dose of 8, and 90 industrial strength Motrin; when I went in for staple removal, they told me to call if I needed more Motrin. Vicodin was not discussed (granted, I didn't ask), nor did I ever receive any calls from the pharmacy regarding refills for either med. Nobody I know has had that experience, either, not in the last 10 or 12 years, and between personal and professional contacts, I've heard a lot about people's responses to procedures and pain meds. Maybe it's a regional thing; we're in different parts of the country, and there are some differences in prescription procedures from state to state. Or maybe you happened to use a practice that's been hit hard by Press-Ganey (if your last surgery took place after the ACA went into effect).

It's not as cut and dried as just an evil "They" pushing pills on an ignorant populace, though. It's a perfect storm of supply and demand, fueled by greed on one side and the desire for a feel-good quick fix on the other, with a certain amount of facilitation given by insurance companies and the ACA, and with everyone involved completely abdicating any responsibility. And I mean everyone, from the manufacturer through the distributions chain, to the consumer.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:56 PM, mthor said:

When was your last surgery? That's not the typical experience I've heard about over the past few years, and it's not the kind of experience that I had (I had surgery in 2017; it involved a10-inch abdominal incision. I got 30 vicodin with a maximum daily dose of 8, and 90 industrial strength Motrin; when I went in for staple removal, they told me to call if I needed more Motrin. Vicodin was not discussed (granted, I didn't ask), nor did I ever receive any calls from the pharmacy regarding refills for either med. Nobody I know has had that experience, either, not in the last 10 or 12 years, and between personal and professional contacts, I've heard a lot about people's responses to procedures and pain meds. Maybe it's a regional thing; we're in different parts of the country, and there are some differences in prescription procedures from state to state. Or maybe you happened to use a practice that's been hit hard by Press-Ganey (if your last surgery took place after the ACA went into effect).

It's not as cut and dried as just an evil "They" pushing pills on an ignorant populace, though. It's a perfect storm of supply and demand, fueled by greed on one side and the desire for a feel-good quick fix on the other, with a certain amount of facilitation given by insurance companies and the ACA, and with everyone involved completely abdicating any responsibility. And I mean everyone, from the manufacturer through the distributions chain, to the consumer.

[ was gone the past weekend, hence the radio silence ] 

My last surgery was earlier this year, May 2. The little hospital compuband is still sitting by the computer like a weird fair souvenir. :D The initial prescription had 8 pills with no refills but the pharmacy started the robo-calls to refill it really fast. And the doctors really did tell me to not be a hero and take the pain meds at 4 hour intervals. I took one and after all that, never again. I'd rather limp along to Advil or Tylenol. At least they don't make things worse when they wear off. 

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

[ was gone the past weekend, hence the radio silence ] 

My last surgery was earlier this year, May 2. The little hospital compuband is still sitting by the computer like a weird fair souvenir. :D The initial prescription had 8 pills with no refills but the pharmacy started the robo-calls to refill it really fast. And the doctors really did tell me to not be a hero and take the pain meds at 4 hour intervals. I took one and after all that, never again. I'd rather limp along to Advil or Tylenol. At least they don't make things worse when they wear off. 

Man, that's got to be a difference across state lines...in NY, I've never heard of or gotten a robo-call for a controlled substance, and I've had a prn script for Ativan for about 15 years. (Most people didn't need a robo-call anyway; my chronics used to call like clockwork.)

1 hour ago, mthor said:

Man, that's got to be a difference across state lines...in NY, I've never heard of or gotten a robo-call for a controlled substance, and I've had a prn script for Ativan for about 15 years. (Most people didn't need a robo-call anyway; my chronics used to call like clockwork.)

Possible. NY has a greater urban situation which means you get better medical info and more places to go for that info while ND is better known for meth. :D Maybe we need to be reminded that we can get messed up on things other than flu tabs soaked in cat piss. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 4:30 PM, Poof said:

How many billions will they have left after negative 12 billion?

I always look at settlements like this as "they are willing, and as such able, to pay out $12 billion."

Yeah, it's easy to take a look at this from the outside and go grumblegrumble, but...

Have you ever actually tried OxyContin?

It's fucking amazing!

14 hours ago, Alien_Nation said:

Yeah, it's easy to take a look at this from the outside and go grumblegrumble, but...

It's fucking amazing!

It's fucking amazing until it's not. Keep doing research - you'll hit that point eventually.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Alien_Nation said:

It's fucking amazing!

Just wait until you overdose on it then you won't feel anything but the warm dirt against your cold body

• Like 2

... but isnt this what capitalism is all about?

oh ... wait its hurting the rich white people too ... so nvm

Edited by Vamped
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vamped said:

... but isnt this what capitalism is all about?

oh ... wait its hurting the rich white people too ... so nvm

It's all just supply and demand. 

You were expecting responsibility?

Edited by mthor
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, helpme said:

OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma and its owners, the Sackler family, are in discussion to settle more than 2,000 opioid lawsuits against the company for $10 billion to $12 billion US, two people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.

Purdue is among several drugmakers and distributors that have been sued for fuelling an opioid addiction crisis in the United States, which claimed 400,000 lives from 1999 to 2017, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/purdue-pharma-oxycontin-lawsuits-1.5261606

Not a nickel for me, I would guess.