UnevenEdge

Kevin Smith to make anime sequel to 80’s He-Man, and Mattel is REALLY Sorry about the She-Ra thing.

Jman

On 8/18/2019 at 7:04 PM, SorceressPol said:

Jesus H. Christ. Dudes are still crying about She-Ra not being fap material for them? Do they have jobs? How can you go on whining about anything with women cooties for this long?

OK so this is stupidity in the OP? I was going to ask, I thought people liked She-Ra.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

OK so this is stupidity in the OP? I was going to ask, I thought people liked She-Ra.

Oh, that.  Mattel is framing it as a middle finger to She Ra because they don’t own the rights to the show, Dreamworks does, thanks to a licensing deal outside their purview.  So they made this show they control directly and shoved it on Netflix because She-Ra isn’t what they would release and apparently were told to pound sand when they offered suggestions.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Oh, that.  Mattel is framing it as a middle finger to She Ra because they don’t own the rights to the show, Dreamworks does, thanks to a licensing deal outside their purview.  So they made this show they control directly and shoved it on Netflix because She-Ra isn’t what they would release and apparently were told to pound sand when they offered suggestions.

they're making the dolls tho?

Related image

the show is a huge hit....just because gross basement dwellers can't fap to a 13 year old lesbian doesn't mean the show is a failure

1 hour ago, Jman said:

If it was a hit, Mattel would have Dreamworks make more of their stuff, and trust them with He-Man.  Instead they hire Kevin “Clerks” Smith and the Castlevania animators to make the complete opposite.

That's not how decisions are made. Mattel isn't doing it through Dreamworks because one, they ain't trying to have money doled out to them, and two, He-Man and She-Ra have different audiences-well different audiences who are still interested in another reboot of the former. And if She-Ra wasn't a hit, Netflix would have dropped it. They are cold-blooded about their cancellations if a show isn't getting the amount of views that they want.

2 hours ago, Jman said:

If it was a hit, Mattel would have Dreamworks make more of their stuff, and trust them with He-Man.  Instead they hire Kevin “Clerks” Smith and the Castlevania animators to make the complete opposite.

It's almost like outside of being a shared universe, Shera and He-man are completely different stories aimed at two completely different sets of people.

I mean Hasbro makes Transformers and My Little Pony and they do the same thing for them, right??

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

It's almost like outside of being a shared universe, Shera and He-man are completely different stories aimed at two completely different sets of people.

I mean Hasbro makes Transformers and My Little Pony and they do the same thing for them, right??

Actually Hasbro did try to put all their crap in a shared universe a few years back and then backtracked when the comics meant to get the idea going went over like wet fish.

Also Mattel owns both properties and tied them together as far back as the 80’s with She-Ra’s show frequently having the two team up (presumably so boys would tune in).  They’ve always been joined at the hip till Dreamworks came along and Mattel has shown...displeasure with the arrangement.

Edited by Jman

what a load of bullshit. Mattel never once was disgruntled with She-Ra and Dreamworks iteration take of her. i can't find any credible articles on the subject of your opinion, other than articles mentioning how certain toxic fanboys attacking the new design of She-Ra. and if Mattel really is disgruntled they wouldn't be marketing toys based on the show either because it looks like it's a major hit.

https://nerdist.com/article/she-ra-and-the-princesses-of-power-are-getting-their-very-own-doll-line/

https://www.thegamer.com/mattel-giving-ra-barbie-treatment-new-action-figure-line/

• Like 3

I wouldn't say major hit. I forgot this show existed and no one seems to talk about it. I tried looking up any metrics for success or failure and found... pretty much nothing. If it gets a fourth season I think it's fair to call it a moderate hit, but lets not go crazy......it's not Pokemon.

"the show is a huge hit....just because gross basement dwellers can't fap to a 13 year old lesbian doesn't mean the show is a failure"

Mattel showing their displeasure would be cancelling She-Ra in favor of He-Man, but the two are co-existing within Netflix. Or pulling a Young Justice/Thundercats reboot and pulling them because they’re obvious duds. 

Their shared universe doesn’t guarantee the same showrunner, and I’d imagine they aren’t pushing to spread She-Ra’s staff thin to juggle two shows at once. The most practical outcome is to have two different shows that hone in on their target demographic best; a contemporary Cartoon Network-style pastel-colored action show for younger girls and a gritty, edgy anime-inspired show for younger boys. It’s a win-win situation that doesn’t diminish the quality of either by letting the show runners go with their vision without having pressure to merge the two interfering with their respective visions. 

The ideal solution, however, would be to swap shows so that She-Ra would’ve been a fantasy version of Chasing Amy and He-Man would’ve been a cutesy, evocative empowerment story about how your strength is defined by the courage and friendships you gain along the way. 

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 3