UnevenEdge
helpme

The 25 least expensive U.S. cities to live in

10 hours ago, helpme said:

Come to Michigan or Colorado you get all 4 seasons in one day

Seattle has better average temps for my crappy body to work with and not worrying about tornadoes would be nice.

3 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

If I move to Seattle, it'll be because I'm sitting on a heck of a lot more money than 3k. I don't want to move there and then have to worry about money due to cost of living. I am checking some places outside Seattle though, but not friggin San Diego. I am done with the sun. Completely fucking done, so fuck California. *Points middle fingers at Scoob* Still won't know what my new average income will be until the end of December or early January, so I have until then to make a decision about location.

What do you mean you're "done with the sun"? Sunny weather doesn't always mean high temperatures, if that's what you're concerned about. Just avoid Fresno like the fucking plague.

Apparently San Francisco has a reputation for being foggy. And the climate is very mild there.

When I lived in Irvine, I never even had to turn on my a/c, I would just open the back door (and leave the screen door closed) and I was fine. Apparently my aunt and uncle in Santa Cruz don't even own an a/c, just because they don't need it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

What do you mean you're "done with the sun"? Sunny weather doesn't always mean high temperatures, if that's what you're concerned about. Just avoid Fresno like the fucking plague.

Apparently San Francisco has a reputation for being foggy. And the climate is very mild there.

When I lived in Irvine, I never even had to turn on my a/c, I would just open the back door (and leave the screen door closed) and I was fine. Apparently my aunt and uncle in Santa Cruz don't even own an a/c, just because they don't need it.

It's not just the temps. My eyes and skin are becoming more sensitive to sunlight. I also know more people in Washington and lived there as a kid. And bruh, for San Fran money, I could get a 2bed + washer and dryer in Seattle. Irvine does look nice, but the average temps are still too high for me 😛.

20 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

It's not just the temps. My eyes and skin are becoming more sensitive to sunlight. I also know more people in Washington and lived there as a kid. And bruh, for San Fran money, I could get a 2bed + washer and dryer in Seattle. Irvine does look nice, but the average temps are still too high for me 😛.

This may sound really, really stupid, and possibly racist, but... what do you mean your skin is getting more sensitive to sunlight? The only thing I can think of is sunburns, but since you're black, and I didn't think people with high melanin contents get sunburns... >_>

2 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

This may sound really, really stupid, and possibly racist, but... what do you mean your skin is getting more sensitive to sunlight? The only thing I can think of is sunburns, but since you're black, and I didn't think people with high melanin contents get sunburns... >_>

My nervous system is fucked up. Sunlight can just feel like warmth to regular people, but for the past few years, I've gotten burning pains from it and can't be out in direct sunlight for long.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

If I move to Seattle, it'll be because I'm sitting on a heck of a lot more money than 3k. I don't want to move there and then have to worry about money due to cost of living. I am checking some places outside Seattle though, but not friggin San Diego. I am done with the sun. Completely fucking done, so fuck California. *Points middle fingers at Scoob* Still won't know what my new average income will be until the end of December or early January, so I have until then to make a decision about location.

You know, Gina is a Californian too.

3 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

But seriously, though, any place nice you're going to need to spend money for.  Irvine is technically inland (though not by much), but if you want less sun and marginally higher prices than Irivine, Dana Point is a the place to go.  It's usually under a marine layer while places inland have sun.  Unlike Seattle, it still gets some sun and you have beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.

32 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

But seriously, though, any place nice you're going to need to spend money for.  Irvine is technically inland (though not by much), but if you want less sun and marginally higher prices than Irivine, Dana Point is a the place to go.  It's usually under a marine layer while places inland have sun.  Unlike Seattle, it still gets some sun and you have beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.

😆Why are y'all trying to get me to move to California? Besides, I've got until January to pick a location, so let me live in my indecision.

1 minute ago, SorceressPol said:

😆Why are y'all trying to get me to move to California? Besides, I've got until January to pick a location, so let me live in my indecision.

Lol

1 minute ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

A fatal garlic allergy isn't weird health shit?

Don't you dare even speak that into existence. I would fucking cry if I became allergic to garlic. Same thing with onions because that would take out a huge chunk of delicious food that I eat.

1 minute ago, SorceressPol said:

Don't you dare even speak that into existence. I would fucking cry if I became allergic to garlic. Same thing with onions because that would take out a huge chunk of delicious food that I eat.

I'm just saying, vampires got weird health shit too.

Also, I love onions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

Forgot to add that I don't drive.

And just like that living anywhere near HelLA becomes totally unfeasible, California loses again.

1 minute ago, NaBernie2020 said:

And just like that living anywhere near HelLA becomes totally unfeasible, California loses again.

Are you somehow under the impression there are no buses, bicycles, and pedestrians "anywhere near" LA?

2 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Are you somehow under the impression there are no buses, bicycles, and pedestrians "anywhere near" LA?

No, just that that all sounds like hell with all that sun and population density and precarity

Edited by NaBernie2020

On 8/13/2019 at 11:02 AM, scoobdog said:

None of those places seem appealing.  And i noticed Wyoming didn't make the list either...

There's the rub.

Such cities are cheap because there is no demand to move there, lack in industry (especially high paying industry), and a few of them have some pretty high crime rates.

I rather pay top dollar for a city that is the total opposite. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Move to North Dakota!

Then you can be photosensitive and radioactive!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

He's just trying to make excuses to not visit me in my air-conditioned mansion.

He's strong now, but he'll cave eventually.

• Like 2

Just now, scoobdog said:

He's just trying to make excuses to not visit me in my air-conditioned mansion.

He's strong now, but he'll cave eventually.

I'm 99.99% convinced he only trashes California because it's where you live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I'm 99.99% convinced he only trashes California because it's where you live.

It's cool.  He's pushed Buddy away, so now I'm the only bestest friend he has left.

2 hours ago, KreiaDidNothingWrong said:

GOOD

STAY OUT OF MY TRASHFIRE OF A CITY 

You live in OKC?....I'll be up Sunday...Wanna smoke out. 

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2019 at 3:24 AM, SorceressPol said:

I mean 3k after moving costs, but I am the sort to burn down my house and run. The 3k is your net to figure out life in your new city, if 3k can't get you going in a real place you have a plan for you're an idiot. I came here to stay with jez and taco with maybe 700 dollars. I'll tolerate some shit, so I found a place in two months. They gave me a damn car, which I could have maneuvered around, but I now hate BMW's. Anyway, if you're smart 3k can squeak you in. If you can't do it with five you should be shot. Especially untethered. All I know is you write these days, but if you find the right spot in Seattle you can find a job that pays okay in walking distance if you look fucking hard. So goddman hard. Housing can flip in days. There's an area of town I'm dying to live in but those houses get snatched up fast. Anyway, it's cheaper then you think if you weigh need appropriately. For me the majority was books and video games. 

And I wasn't inviting anyone here. I like this place. Some people like London. Figure out how to get to a region that makes you happy. I'm just all for it these days. Nebraska dragged me down. In a big city there are lots of smart people. But a whole lot more stupid ones.

1 hour ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

I mean 3k after moving costs, but I am the sort to burn down my house and run. The 3k is your net to figure out life in your new city, if 3k can't get you going in a real place you have a plan for you're an idiot. I came here to stay with jez and taco with maybe 700 dollars. I'll tolerate some shit, so I found a place in two months. They gave me a damn car, which I could have maneuvered around, but I now hate BMW's. Anyway, if you're smart 3k can squeak you in. If you can't do it with five you should be shot. Especially untethered. All I know is you write these days, but if you find the right spot in Seattle you can find a job that pays okay in walking distance if you look fucking hard. So goddman hard. Housing can flip in days. There's an area of town I'm dying to live in but those houses get snatched up fast. Anyway, it's cheaper then you think if you weigh need appropriately. For me the majority was books and video games. 

And I wasn't inviting anyone here. I like this place. Some people like London. Figure out how to get to a region that makes you happy. I'm just all for it these days. Nebraska dragged me down. In a big city there are lots of smart people. But a whole lot more stupid ones.

*Shrugs* Making sure I have extra financial padding before going with any major decision is what I do. It works out for me if anything goes wrong and reduces stress in my life when I already have health issues to deal with. Wouldn't it have been nice to move somewhere and have everything already taken care of before you got there? No job hunting or months of house hunting, just go to your new location and chill?

38 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Here sorce, if this doesn't convince you to relocate I don't know what will:

LOL!

This shit and New York cops? Heeelllllllllllll no!

AlbanyDanThompson.jpg

The prices are way more reasonable than I expected, I'll give you that.

i was about to say how funny it is that no one in this thread is like "you should move to illinois" but then i remembered how shitty it is in just about every part of illinois. and now i'm sad.

High school-quality ads aside, the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metropolitan statistical region (to use scoob-parlance) more or less hovers around the national average for most things, too far east for lake-effect snow, and is outside of the sphere (and costs) of the NYC metropolitan region.

So it sounds like sorce is moving to downtown Troy with all the other yuppies.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, SorceressPol said:

Guuurrrrrrrllll, I ain't trying to fuck with this:

2270136681_b514ab8c44_b-700x525.jpg

What's with that pitiful snow patch? That's a snow-sneeze photo. You want this - 

-img1-snow.jpg

Ahhh, brisk.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

What's with that pitiful snow patch? That's a snow-sneeze photo. You want this - 

-img1-snow.jpg

Ahhh, brisk.

What the fuck is that?

The last time I saw that I was near Grand Rapids lake effect snow is harsh

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

-img1-snow.jpg

Ahhh, brisk.

Y'all trying to have me tunneling through the snow like a friggin mouse.

9 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Y'all trying to have me tunneling through the snow like a friggin mouse.

A squirrel or  gopher 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, SorceressPol said:

Sunlight can just feel like warmth to regular people, but for the past few years, I've gotten burning pains from it and can't be out in direct sunlight for long.

I know exactly what you mean.  It doesn't feel like normal sunburn, but like someone has a big ol' magnifying glass trained on your skin, after just a few minutes of direct sunlight.

I'd say come here, but it's too hot, and public transportation sucks.  And the police would probably kill you for walking down the street without your hands up and away from your body at all times.

If Seattle is looking good to you but too pricey, have you thought about Olympia?  It's only a little higher CoL than the national average, but it's got the same weather and is close by for cool Seattle stuff.  Much cheaper housing costs.

I'd like to move to Eureka for the weather and ocean and redwoods (though the ubiquitous mold would probably not do me any favors), but it's turned into a shithole in the last decade or so, and even with legalization, it's dangerous to just go bushwacking, especially during harvest season, since you might run into someone feeling overprotective of their grow in the national forest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, helpme said:

What the fuck is that?

The last time I saw that I was near Grand Rapids lake effect snow is harsh

It was a house.

That winter it was a Norwegian Igloo. There were whole sections around here that ended up under snowdrifts 18+ feet in height. 

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

It was a house.

That winter it was a Norwegian Igloo. There were whole sections around here that ended up under snowdrifts 18+ feet in height. 

Good god hopefully that's mountain and not lake effect?