UnevenEdge
helpme

The 25 least expensive U.S. cities to live in

Knew mine would be on there. Truly a wonderful place to live.

However I will caution that Cleveland, TN at #18 is an absolute shithole

24 minutes ago, NaBernie2020 said:

However I will caution that Cleveland, TN at #18 is an absolute shithole

Cleveland is GARBAGE. So is LaGrange. 

• Thanks 1

"Texarkana TX-AR"

I had no idea there were any cities in this country that were just so dead center on a border that they belong to two states.

None of those places seem appealing.  And i noticed Wyoming didn't make the list either...

• Like 3

burlington ia only made the list because gulfport il (right across the mississippi river) literally went under in the floods of '08. gulfport's infamous strip club industry never recovered, and the town is mostly abandoned now. breadwinners in burlington suddenly began reporting lower costs for things like rent, gasoline, and groceries, and the cost of living index has been decreasing ever since.

51 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

"Texarkana TX-AR"

I had no idea there were any cities in this country that were just so dead center on a border that they belong to two states.

I made an entire thread about this....Let me see if I can find it.

Also, this must be based on popularity of the city or something, because there is no way Gulfport MS isn't on here

• Like 1

7 hours ago, garbagepailcat said:

Cleveland is GARBAGE. So is LaGrange. 

As someone who never went south I have comment 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NaBernie2020 said:

All of the hell places

California made the list 5 times

30 minutes ago, NaBernie2020 said:

All of the hell places

Fairbanks is hell, huh?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Fairbanks is hell, huh?

e08ff82fd8afbb10a3152bcfdbf730f4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaBernie2020 said:

This is the region of concentrated evil 

Screenshot_20190813-183424.png

Yes we get it you dont like trump

However new York is one of few states paying $15 in minimum wage 

• D'oh 1

Posted (edited)

>OKC

please leave my city off these lists 

it sucks but it also has some pretty great hidden gems and is affordable which means car and travel money 

don’t start creating demand that causes excuses for rent to go through the roof

Edited by KreiaDidNothingWrong

Yeah I'm worried where I live is going to go to hell once the mega metropolises start melting and people need a livable place to flee to. Nashville is already bursting at the seams...

1 hour ago, KreiaDidNothingWrong said:

>OKC

please leave my city off these lists 

it sucks but it also has some pretty great hidden gems and is affordable which means car and travel money 

don’t start creating demand that causes excuses for rent to go through the roof

Uh... I don't think you have to worry about demand for any of those cities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naraku4656 said:

Middlesex and Monmouth are separate counties, not cities. If it's saying every city in those counties then that's also wrong

1 hour ago, Naraku4656 said:

Bergen is also a county but that one I'll let slide because that whole place is goddamn expensive

Orange County, anyone? There is a city in SoCal called Orange, but it's not called Orange County. That's a county.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Naraku4656 said:

Middlesex and Monmouth are separate counties, not cities. If it's saying every city in those counties then that's also wrong

Its not based on cities or counties as much as US Census Bureau "statistical regions" based solely on how the "cities" in this graphic are broken up.  I noticed, for instance, that Los Angeles is lumped in with Long Beach which are two of the triumvirate that is the Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Region.  In this case:  while Anaheim/Orange County are part of that statistical region, the data is partition in a way that makes it easier to branch off the communities along the Santa Ana River plain from those in between the San Gabriel and Los Angeles river plains.  The same likely applies to Middlesex and Monmouth, where the geographical anomalies of the region allow for a partitioning that is more definitive than city or county boundaries.

3 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Honoluu made it so high, but Lanikai didn't place? Come on. 

And Santa Barbara is way more expensive than LA or san diego. These kinds of articles are never good

1 minute ago, Gina Szanboti said:

"No cities west of Amarillo, Texas made the list." 

So?  No cities east of Statesboro, GA made the list either.  Just shows that nobody wants to live in the "heartland."

That's not even the Heartland.  That's the Deep South.

25 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

That's not even the Heartland.  That's the Deep South.

Since I was talking about east/west, I was referring to longitude, not latitude (I would've used Ashland, OH, but it's 1° west of Statesboro, and I'm too pedantic to fudge it. :P).  Also, "heartland" is super vague, depending on who's saying it.  I think of Ohio as part of the heartland (not just because it's shaped like one), but the media think Oklahoma is too, so it's pretty much anything that's between the mountains and not on the coasts or, as you say, Deep South.

Edited by Gina Szanboti
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Since I was talking about east/west, I was referring to longitude, not latitude (I would've used Ashland, OH, but it's 1° west of Statesboro, and I'm too pedantic to fudge it. :P).  Also, "heartland" is super vague, depending on who's saying it.  I think of Ohio as part of the heartland (not just because it's shaped like one), but the media think Oklahoma is too, so it's pretty much anything not on the coasts or, as you say, Deep South.

Fair enough.  You did post it in lower case rather than capitalized.

5 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

I wish I lived in Seattle. It's too damn hot down here.

Have you seen what I told nabs? Get 3000 dollars and make it happen. I dunno how your book thing works in your life, but you could go to a cheaper place outside Seattle if you want. Two hours away, make it a free time thing. Use that money and get the fuck out. Go be happy. Strive and scrounge so you can stop doing it and enjoy your surroundings.

But really I wanted to post to say that San Diego falls Into that county designation. There are so many areas with different costs of living that saying San Diego is in the top 25 can be considered silly. It's higher than average, but you get paid here.

5 minutes ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

Have you seen what I told nabs? Get 3000 dollars and make it happen. I dunno how your book thing works in your life, but you could go to a cheaper place outside Seattle if you want. Two hours away, make it a free time thing. Use that money and get the fuck out. Go be happy. Strive and scrounge so you can stop doing it and enjoy your surroundings.

But really I wanted to post to say that San Diego falls Into that county designation. There are so many areas with different costs of living that saying San Diego is in the top 25 can be considered silly. It's higher than average, but you get paid here.

That maybe true, but I wouldn't wish Escondido on anyone, even if their city hall is kind of nice.

9 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

That maybe true, but I wouldn't wish Escondido on anyone, even if their city hall is kind of nice.

I was actually thinking about living there in the near future because rent isnt too bad. But I do hear ultra north county is super white trash.

3 minutes ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

I was actually thinking about living there in the near future because rent isnt too bad. But I do hear ultra north county is super white trash.

I mean, there are few rows of apartments that look like they're straight out of the '50s, but everything else about that city is strangely barren.

9 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I mean, there are few rows of apartments that look like they're straight out of the '50s, but everything else about that city is strangely barren.

Weird, never been there except to look at dilapidated cars when I was desperate so I dunno. I just saw it as an easy commute for the both of us and an affordable rent to give us the opportunity to build. But we can do that in La Mesa too. I just hate how hot it gets in certain areas. North San Diego county is fucking hot, just like the east. I'm plotting for midtown,  but for now we shape things. Why do bipolar people expect instant results? She makes me nuts sometimes but I really love her. Her not apologizing for anything has bugged me, but today I realized she apologizes with a kiss, I think.

If heat is an issue, then Escondido is probably not the place for you.  But, there probably aren't much better options if you want a semi decent place to live.  Not sure what Oceanside is like now, but it used to be somewhat affordable.

8 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

I wish I lived in Seattle. It's too damn hot down here.

Come to Michigan or Colorado you get all 4 seasons in one day

11 hours ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

If I move to Seattle, it'll be because I'm sitting on a heck of a lot more money than 3k. I don't want to move there and then have to worry about money due to cost of living. I am checking some places outside Seattle though, but not friggin San Diego. I am done with the sun. Completely fucking done, so fuck California. *Points middle fingers at Scoob* Still won't know what my new average income will be until the end of December or early January, so I have until then to make a decision about location.