Jump to content
UnevenEdge
OwlChemist81

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

Recommended Posts

I know one week does not a pattern make, but wow LivePD did quite well. I think it will be a big competitor for Toonami among males in terms of ratings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you're growing tired of Shenmue and AOT, Toonami's got a shake-up for you, starting August 13th, the week after both series' reruns end:

FB_IMG_1659025338453.jpg

Glad Made in Abyss is getting a 2nd run, even if the first half of Black Lotus has been played to death! Episodes 8-13 have never reaired, and I'll have the chance to capture it all on my new Spectrum DVR so it's all good!!

But what happens in Week 13? Does Toonami just temporarily expand to 4:30 to allow the 1-Hour season finale to air? I suppose I could also see that night being a movie event that would take 12-2:30, leaving Black Lotus #13 at 2:30 and MiA #13 at 3. If there are no interruptions to the 3 AM hour, that would happen November 5th, so the DST hour would make extra room for the hour-long season finale. I guess you could also squeeze in Blade Runner: Black Out 2022 (though at this point it's practically historical fiction) and another short for the bonus hour. Has Iron Maiden got any more videos from Senjutsu!? 🤔

And realistically, I'm probably only gonna stay up to catch the 3 AM hour once in a blue moon in my old age, even though it's 2 AM my time. But having these back on my DVR after having to relinquish my old DirecTV DVR in mid-August will be a treat even if I can't stay up!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of excited to see BR again, I felt it was a good series.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I really hope Made In Abyss Season 1 reairing is a harbinger of the 2020 movie and Season 2 coming to Toonami after it ends its run!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see season 2 coming, Toonami typically gets multi-season shows if they can. (Demon Slayer is an exception sadly, which is probably more harmful to the IP than anything else)

I don't think we will get the movie, those seem to be more of a "Air this DC animated movie or we nuke the Absolution" kinda thing. Honestly, if they spend the money for a movie on TYBW or CSM I'd be much happier with that choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But what happens in Week 13? Does Toonami just temporarily expand to 4:30 to allow the 1-Hour season finale to air? I suppose I could also see that night being a movie event that would take 12-2:30, leaving Black Lotus #13 at 2:30 and MiA #13 at 3. If there are no interruptions to the 3 AM hour, that would happen November 5th, so the DST hour would make extra room for the hour-long season finale. I guess you could also squeeze in Blade Runner: Black Out 2022 (though at this point it's practically historical fiction) and another short for the bonus hour. Has Iron Maiden got any more videos from Senjutsu!? 🤔

I think you're making this too complicated. It's actually cool how MiA's rerun is going to end the same week as the DST expansion, so they shouldn't have to do anything else to accomodate it. And if they want to use the extra half-hour for some reason, just air Korgoth of Barbaria again.

This has little to do with anything, but I feel like I'm owed one more hour of avant-garde shorts in that timeslot, just like they did in 2013. At this point, I don't think people would be anywhere near as vocal about it as they were back then, when King Star King's pilot shit on our eyes and pissed into our ears.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ginguy said:

I can see season 2 coming, Toonami typically gets multi-season shows if they can. (Demon Slayer is an exception sadly, which is probably more harmful to the IP than anything else)

I don't think we will get the movie, those seem to be more of a "Air this DC animated movie or we nuke the Absolution" kinda thing. Honestly, if they spend the money for a movie on TYBW or CSM I'd be much happier with that choice.

unfortunately without the movie i see comments from fans that Season 2 cannot be watched without first seeing the movie

unless you wanna be very confused and have no idea what's going on whatsoever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen neither Dawn of the Deep Soul nor S2. I was going to do them subbed, but later decided I was going to hold out for a Dubcast for the latter. But I think the real reason is because of how heavy the content is in these new installments: lotsa violence and other unsultry things, mostly involving minors. It makes me wonder if they might be too extreme for Toonami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

unfortunately without the movie i see comments from fans that Season 2 cannot be watched without first seeing the movie

unless you wanna be very confused and have no idea what's going on whatsoever

Well part of the problem is that if they air the movie and say, 15-20% of the audience doesn't tune in, then you have 15-20% of your potential audience getting lost and simply not watching. Unless they can get the movie in an episode format that would be a pretty big risk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Well part of the problem is that if they air the movie and say, 15-20% of the audience doesn't tune in, then you have 15-20% of your potential audience getting lost and simply not watching. Unless they can get the movie in an episode format that would be a pretty big risk.

 

 if they air season two without the movie

nobody will have any idea what's even going on and quickly lose interest

the movie isn't optional it's a 100% requirement for watching season two....

there's no episodic version of the movie in Season two so unfortunately there's no easy solution for them in regards to Made in Abyss season two honestly

if the movie wasn't so essential to the series we wouldn't be having this discussion but alas it is

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all shows can be as lucky as Demon Slayer and have the movie cut into TV-size pieces for those too lazy to sit down and watch a two hour-long episode.

(Ironically, I hear the movie's the superior way to view the Mugen Train arc.)

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news and bad news:

Good: Shark Week couldn't knock Toonami out of the Top 50, as every premiere charted in the Top 50.

Bad: total viewers pretty low, as Yashahime failed to hold PRIMAL...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-7-30-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-7-30-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Ugly: On Patrol: Live just continues to gain strength! And Shark Week did pretty bad compared to how it used to be just a few years ago.

"On Adult Swim, the line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL at 0.10/238K compared to last week’s 0.08/0.07, LUPIN THE 3RD up 0.01 to 0.08, YASHAHIME at 0.08, ONE PIECE steady at 0.07/0.07, NARUTO up 0.02 to 0.07, SHENMUE up 0.02 to 0.06/117K, and ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.03 to 0.05/115K."

Well at least nothing on Toonami got under 100K unlike last week. But I do wish Yashahime could have held PRIMAL just a little bit better. I guess 80% of the 18-49s isn't too shabby though. And shockingly, LUPIN beat it in the overall key demo despite losing to it in other key demos and tying in total viewers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, Ginguy said:

I know one week does not a pattern make, but wow LivePD did quite well. I think it will be a big competitor for Toonami among males in terms of ratings.

The driving strength that OP Live has is not only the program itself but the engagement and social media outreach it has integrated into the format.

I've consistently said that Toonami can do this and it would be beneficial. Now would be a great time to launch it as well, with new ownership you might have a favorable view of this outreach and it might generate some budgetary compensation as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So any hope of HBO Max helping out is now gone -

The rumor is HBO Max will be dissolved and what’s left folded into a reality show focused Discovery +, while HBO remains primarily a repository for films that have finished their theater runs.  Zaslav is an old school “theaters first” guy and also a penny pincher, so bye bye Harley, bye bye Young Justice, and bye bye any relief for Toonami.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's hard for me to really say anything without making it sound like I'm seriously wishing harm upon somebody (even though Zaslav sounds like he deserves it more and more by the day), so all I can say is... here's to hoping it's not nearly as bad as the doomers are making it sound. 🤜🌲

That being said, I was never really banking on HBO Max serving as a support for Toonami, and as someone who's only using HBO Max to watch Space Ghost Coast to Coast (which will probably transfer over to Discovery+ if the already known-about merger is done in the latter's favor), I doubt I'll feel as pissed as those who regularly use the service. As long as WBD leaves the Venture Bros. movie alone, I'm good.

Edited by PokeNirvash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess we're not having any more DC movie nights? That kinda sucks, though I know if at least one person who would consider it a positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think the bigger issue here is that Czar Zazlav is checking off boxes across the company and if it's not guaranteed $$$, it's gone.

So there's a very real chance that Toonami gets axed by the end of the year, the rug gets pulled under its slated originals (imagine all that time on Uzumaki just for it to be a tax write-off LOL), and Adult Swim loses everything that isn't R&M, syndication, and/or stuff not made by TV Rating/Box Office darlings.

Oh and reality shows. Expect [Real Adult Swim] sometime soon.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daos said:

He's trying to rewind the clock to the days where HBO existed as a repository for films and nothing more.  At this point he might as well bring back HBO Boxing...actually, I wouldn't mind that too much, but he's far more likely to let DAZN handle that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mister Z and the discovery bunch don't seem to give a shit about competing against other streaming services

they are content to waving the white flag to Disney+ Netflix Amazon  Paramount And Apple

as i doubt many people will stick around just to stream 90 day fiance

they really wanna go back to the days where cable tv was king and You'd see brand new movies at the theater not at home

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Mister Z and the discovery bunch don't seem to give a shit about competing against other streaming services

they are content to waving the white flag to Disney+ Netflix Amazon  Paramount And Apple

as i doubt many people will stick around just to stream 90 day fiance

they really wanna go back to the days where cable tv was king and You'd see brand new movies at the theater not at home

In other words, he’s a fucking moron.

 I’m sure DeMarco absolutely adores the guy, but Toonami’s now even more boned because any hope of relief from HBO Max originals is gone and I don’t see Mr. “Movie Theaters are a Sacred Institution” wanting to invest any pennies in Japanese cartoons from scratch when that’s the only reliable source they have left.  Hell, knowing this penny pincher, he might not be above breaking out reruns from the vault to save money.  Who’s up for Afternoon Adventures 2.0?

 

  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I Wonder what would have happened if Crunchyroll had not been sold to sony...it seems fortunate that sony bought them when they did

because it doesn't seem like Discovery would have any interest in anime and we know dismantling crunchyroll wouldn't be good for anyone

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I Wonder what would have happened if Crunchyroll had not been sold to sony...it seems fortunate that sony bought them when they did

because it doesn't seem like Discovery would have any interest in anime and we know dismantling crunchyroll wouldn't be good for anyone

If they hadn’t sold it then they would have sold it at a later date, maybe to Amazon.  As it stands they got quite the nice windfall for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jman said:

If they hadn’t sold it then they would have sold it at a later date, maybe to Amazon.  As it stands they got quite the nice windfall for it.

Amazon had that anime strike program they did many years ago...that shit failed

can't see them doing any better with crunchyroll....

it just boggles the mind that discovery is content to surrendering in the streaming landscape and admitting defeat because they think it's just some dumb fad like pogs or fidget spinners that will be phased out by something else and then everybody will come running back to big cable tv bundles

they see watching cable television as a sacred american tradition but i don't see it that way

look at most channels on tv now...so many of them have resorted to endless marathons of old tv shows that it isn't even funny

how is that suppose to be seen as better than streaming?....american cable television gave up on anime long ago so i can't even watch stuff like shadows house or the great jahy will not be defeated on television

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anime Strike failed because you had to pay extra.  They’re slowly dipping their toes back into animation with Invincible and those Boys anthologies, but I imagine any purchase of Crunchyroll would either involve running it as is, or merging it with the Amazon library for no extra cost after the Strike debacle.

It’s a moot point as is, Sony has all the anime, and as a result, fingers in the pies of a LOT of IP’s.

Edited by Jman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jman said:

Anime Strike failed because you had to pay extra.  They’re slowly dipping their toes back into animation with Invincible and those Boys anthologies, but I imagine any purchase of Crunchyroll would either involve running it as is, or merging it with the Amazon library for no extra cost after the Strike debacle.

It’s a moot point as is, Sony has all the anime, and as a result, fingers in the pies of a LOT of IP’s.

someone told me most people aren't gonna care about what discovery does to hbomax all things concsidered

because

"People really dont care about quality when over 50% of the workforce is : clock in 9-5, get home at 6, drink a beer and do normal stuff. they just want something to watch"

and that statement scares me because that means you can put paint drying on and most people would watch it...because it's something and they don't care what it is

they just need something to fall asleep to

it could be a shot of somebody pooping on the toilet and it wouldn't phase them if all they require is something on tv...anything

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jman said:

So any hope of HBO Max helping out is now gone -

The rumor is HBO Max will be dissolved and what’s left folded into a reality show focused Discovery +, while HBO remains primarily a repository for films that have finished their theater runs.  Zaslav is an old school “theaters first” guy and also a penny pincher, so bye bye Harley, bye bye Young Justice, and bye bye any relief for Toonami.

Hello BattleBots-Gundam synergy though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

FZWJrxjXwAEkWpJ?format=jpg&name=large

Yep this is concerning.

He laid out his multimedia plans pretty succinctly yesterday.  Scrap a lot of the kids programming, a lot of animation that doesn't make cash, a lot of movies with lesser known characters, and go back to promoting big franchises.  He considers Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman the big three of DC, which is why a lot of spin-offs and replacement projects have been dumped.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one-off Smiling Friends premiere made the Top 10, and 4 out of 5 of the Toonami premieres made the Top 50, with Yashahime checking in at a fairly decent #29:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-8-6-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-8-6-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Naruto Shippuden checked in at #59 with a 0.05 in 18-49 and 148K total viewers.

It's a good thing for Toonami's ratings that the FBI investigation of Mar-A-Lago happened on a Monday; by Saturday the fervor may have died down and the news pop will likely be over.

"On Adult Swim, the line-up performed as follows:  SMILING FRIENDS at 0.13, PRIMAL at 0.11/275K compared to last week’s 0.10/238K, LUPIN THE 3RD down 0.01 to 0.07, YASHAHIME up 0.01 to 0.09, ONE PIECE at 0.08/0.07 compared to last week’s 0.07/0.07, NARUTO down 0.02 to 0.05, SHENMUE down 0.01 to 0.05/ to 0.06/133K, and ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.01 to 0.04/121K."

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...