Jump to content
UnevenEdge
OwlChemist81

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

Recommended Posts

How can DeMarco expect reruns to compete with the comeback of Cody Rhodes....

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

How can DeMarco expect reruns to compete with the comeback of Cody Rhodes....

 

Well Shenmue did well enough, but then again Shenmue seems to be exceeding everyone’s expectations (it’s a video game adaptation of a notoriously cult game series AND a Crunchyroll Original, yet it’s quite good).  Nothing else was competing with the Final Four and Stone Cold.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2022 at 4:49 PM, PokeNirvash said:

C'mon, Conny's plot wasn't that cringe... :/

Yeah, I GUESS not. Kinda funny how he had such determination and then ended up so sheepish!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-4-9-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-4-9-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Shenmue hung on for dear life at #50 and 199K viewers/0.08 18-49, but 3 hours later, Naruto hadn't decayed the viewership MUCH, just to 0.06. About 75% retention throughout the block is pretty good by the Toonami Faithful!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a while since I've done one of these year-of-animation-release breakdowns:

Shenmue - 2022
Attack On Titan - 2022
Assassination Classroom - 2016
Lupin III Part 6 - 2021
One Piece - 2012
Naruto Shippuden - 2014
Cowboy Bebop - 1998

Toonami keeps gradually getting fresher!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-4-16-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-4-16-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Shenmue and Ass Class of all things made the Top 50, Lupin did not, and apparently the author was confused as to whether Made in Abyss aired. I'm assuming those numbers go to the 2 AM One Piece which mistakenly wasn't mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Lupin and One Piece didn’t lose to Shippuden but that sure was a drop from AC to Lupin.

Honestly if they don’t have anything bigger than YashaHime or Food Wars on deck for May then they should probably give AC the lead until it ends mid June.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Week 4 of April is in the books, and there was some improvement in both Shenmue and AOT as they aired their respective (mid-)seasons' Penultimate episodes:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-4-23-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-4-23-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

The female 12-34 demographic came through pretty bigly for #30 Shenmue. They must really dig Joy. They stuck around for #34 AOT but then the demos leveled off for #44 Ass Class. And then to round out the Top 50, the 2:30 AM episode of One Piece made a rare #50 appearance as Jinbei battled Arlong in the Sun Pirates flashback, but Lupin missed the Top 50, and oddly enough the 2 AM episode of One Piece is nowhere to be found.

I just noticed it's also pretty impressive that Shenmue and AOT beat #35 THE BATMAN 2022 in 18-49, already on HBO after premiering in theaters March 4th!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Made in Abyss hour is still throwing off SBD. Both episodes of One Piece got 0.08 with 18-49 according to the text above the chart but no total viewership is listed for the 2am airing. I am genuinely surprised to see One Piece beat Lupin. Maybe under these circumstances, One Piece might even move up.

Something else I find interesting, The Batman (film of 2022) had its prime time premiere on HBO that night. I guess as soon as a film hits HBO Max it can air on HBO. That’s an incredibly fast turnaround. Granted it got hammered by sports competition but seeing it only manage 544,000 viewers is shocking and seeing it lose to Shenmue and Titan in 18-49 is eyebrow raising to say the least (a massive difference in 18-34). How much is HBO Max eating the cable channels lunch?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cable HBO is an afterthought. Max renders it dead (especially when there's Hulu Live bundles that include Max but not HBO's channels).

BTW, don't sleep on Tokyo Vice. That shit is straight fire.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baby Driver and Chief Yokoyama from the IWGP J-drama. Never thought of picturing them as a dynamic duo, but I approve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also the fact that Shenmue beat 3 Busy Debras in total viewers and at least tied it in 18-49:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-4-24-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Robot Chicken was pretty much always able to best its timeslot counterpart the night before, but 3BD doesn't seem to be as capable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shenmue and AOT made the Top 50 for their (mid-)season finales, as did Ass Class in its home stretch:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-4-30-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-4-30-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Unfortunately, Lupin and everything after dropped majorly and still didn't crack the Top 50 after 3 weeks, but with it moving up an hour this week, it seems it has a better chance. I guess we'll see.

Also, Shenmue did best 3 Busy Debras pretty handily!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-5-1-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Low numbers but decent retention. That's the best we can hope for these days, and I am in full support of it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is off topic but I'd just like to say that Bobs Burger's movie is going to bomb.

  • Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Daos said:

This is off topic but I'd just like to say that Bobs Burger's movie is going to bomb.

Its box office will be the butt of Family Guy jokes for years.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Daos said:

This is off topic but I'd just like to say that Bobs Burger's movie is going to bomb.

It will make CNN+ seem like a rousing success.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always great to see the entire first half of the block make the Top 50. I think this is the first time One Piece has hit the Top 50 with both episodes since it came back.

And Three Busy Debras also appears to be bombing. Koro-Sensei beat the trio of Debras' asses in 18-49:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-5-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I could get used to this, despite the fact this is arguably the least fresh Toonami block we've had for a while:

Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL - 2019 rerun
Assassination Classroom - 2016
Lupin The 3rd, Part 6 - 2021
One Piece x2 - 2012
Naruto Shippuden - 2014

Shenmue - 2022 rerun
Attack On Titan - 2022 rerun

But I digress. PRIMAL has turned out to be a pretty strong lead-in so far after all, as is seen by the performance of the shows which follow it!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-5-14-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-5-14-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Pretty remarkable when BOTH episodes of One Piece make the Top 50, and all Toonami shows are maintaining a good range in Adults 18-34, only unable to beat sports shows in that key demographic!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Primal got 0.14 and 287,000

Let me put that into perspective. A rerun of Primal episode 1 did better than 6 episodes of Fena after Family Guy left Saturday, all of Black Lotus and all but 1 episode of Shenmue the Animation. At least in total viewers if not also 18-49.

I’m frankly shocked. It might be a fluke but if this keeps up then maybe Primal reruns actually do interest more people than the anime on Toonami does.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From what I can see, Shenmue got 0.14 twice throughout its premiere run, so PRIMAL reruns have at least matched that so far in week 1. We'll see if it can keep it up next week. Can't fight quality, and PRIMAL is that in spades!

Black Lotus peaked at a 0.15 in week 3 and went downhill from there, even doing as wretchedly as a 0.05 at one point in 2022. I think Shenmue has to be regarded as the bigger "hit" since it seldom missed the Top 50 and didn't do anywhere near that bad. I think it bottomed out at a 0.08 which ironically made #50. It's easy to see why it got a 3 AM rerun, while Black Lotus is relegated only to streaming.

However, at 3 AM in reruns, Shenmue seems to be doing a steady 0.05, so I guess it doesn't have much replay value.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

From what I can see, Shenmue got 0.14 twice throughout its premiere run, so PRIMAL reruns have at least matched that so far in week 1. We'll see if it can keep it up next week. Can't fight quality, and PRIMAL is that in spades!

Black Lotus peaked at a 0.15 in week 3 and went downhill from there, even doing as wretchedly as a 0.05 at one point in 2022. I think Shenmue has to be regarded as the bigger "hit" since it seldom missed the Top 50 and didn't do anywhere near that bad. I think it bottomed out at a 0.08 which ironically made #50. It's easy to see why it got a 3 AM rerun, while Black Lotus is relegated only to streaming.

However, at 3 AM in reruns, Shenmue seems to be doing a steady 0.05, so I guess it doesn't have much replay value.

Thanks for looking into the 18-49s. Colt’s chart stopped listing those at some point so I was only seeing the total viewers and basing it on that but those don’t always correlate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After all these years, leading off with a rerun has finally proven to be a non-terrible idea. And I'm sure Genndy is feeling just a little ornery about it. It's gonna be really fun when S2 premieres on the block, assuming it does.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

this is perplexing....why did  a rerun(A Rerun of primal to be specific)do so damn well?

normally reruns upfront are a bad idea....did people come out of the woodworks just to watch A Primal Rerun?

I'm Just confused at the hype A Rerun created

 

 

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

normally reruns upfront are a bad idea....did people come out of the woodworks just to watch A Primal Rerun?

I did. Then again, I've really been slacking when it comes to [as] originals: from the last few years, I've only seen Joe Pera Talks with You and one episode of Smiling Friends (apropos of the this year's April Fools'). I would've gotten to this one eventually, but putting it on Toonami gave me an easy excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I did. Then again, I've really been slacking when it comes to [as] originals: from the last few years, I've only seen Joe Pera Talks with You and one episode of Smiling Friends (apropos of the this year's April Fools'). I would've gotten to this one eventually, but putting it on Toonami gave me an easy excuse.

yeah but still it's a rerun....where did the hype come from?

are that many people really assuming this confirms Primal S2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cartoon Network is a primary source for Primal.  Less so their other lineup.  Not to mention Shenmue just ended so a rerun isn’t high priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Busy Debras blew it as well this week:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-5-15-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

287K is darn good for this day and age for Primal Reuns, and it beat the pants off 3BD in its respective timeslot a night earlier. Of course that's not really saying much since it IS arguably the WORST premiere on [as] yet in 2022.

And there's the danger to Toonami premieres: if they can't find anything better on Sunday night, Season 2 of PRIMAL may premiere on Sunday nights, leaving Toonami with reruns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And there's the danger to Toonami premieres: if they can't find anything better on Sunday night, Season 2 of PRIMAL may premiere on Sunday nights, leaving Toonami with reruns.

That's a good point. I don't think it's going to happen, because for starters, it would cannibalize viewers. In this era of widespread DVR adoption, it would be better to focus all of the attention on a single airing. And [as] traditionally hasn't done stuff like that, except when Dragon Ball Super had that weirdo contract where Toei forced them to premiere episodes at 8:00, then 8:30. And as for Three Busy Debras, it's a live-action show, so I would expect that it'd be cheaper to make than the animated ones. We'll see if [as] has any examples of the latter coming this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

3 Busy Debras blew it as well this week:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-5-15-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

287K is darn good for this day and age for Primal Reuns, and it beat the pants off 3BD in its respective timeslot a night earlier. Of course that's not really saying much since it IS arguably the WORST premiere on [as] yet in 2022.

And there's the danger to Toonami premieres: if they can't find anything better on Sunday night, Season 2 of PRIMAL may premiere on Sunday nights, leaving Toonami with reruns.

3 busy Debras is one of the weirdest shows I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Daos said:

3 busy Debras is one of the weirdest shows I've ever seen.

this is the latest sneak peak for the episode this sunday and.....I'm confused as to who this is suppose to appeal to

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not too shabby, Lupin!!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-5-21-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-5-21-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

The post-PRIMAL effect is still going strong in week 2, and the excellent yet somewhat confusing episode of Lupin the 3rd tied for 3rd in Adults 18-34 among cable originals, also effectively winning the night among Toonami originals!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Primal has done it again!

0.15 18-49 and 325,000 total viewers.

Seems like as underwhelming as Toonami is right now, it’s doing more than fine. Nothing below 100k.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Toonami is benefiting from a lack of major sporting events, it has enough to draw some eyeballs and keep them reasonably engaged.

I do think this would be the time to begin a serious social media/broadcast audience engagement project, with the economy stalling and people finding themselves with less discretionary income, the time is right to try and build an engagement program, particularly one that is free and readily available.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ginguy said:

I think Toonami is benefiting from a lack of major sporting events, it has enough to draw some eyeballs and keep them reasonably engaged.

I do think this would be the time to begin a serious social media/broadcast audience engagement project, with the economy stalling and people finding themselves with less discretionary income, the time is right to try and build an engagement program, particularly one that is free and readily available.

That’s an interesting idea. What sorts of things could they do?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sketch said:

That’s an interesting idea. What sorts of things could they do?

It could be something as simple as asking for selfies from people watching Toonami, or their pets watching Toonami. Pics from people out in public with Toonami gear, or other anime swag (ideally from shows on Toonami) and have these images serve as bumpers during the broadcast. Fan art, contests for new t-shirt designs, perhaps even a podcast or some other kind of social media engagement designed to direct people to watching Toonami. The general idea being cheap, easy to do activities which promote audience engagement and involvement. If they went with the T shirt thing you also have a direct revenue opportunity as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rerun is the highest-rated show of the year so far? Who'da thunk it? In fact, that episode of Primal is the best anything on Toonami has done since a Fena premiere back in September. While the lineup could definitely be better, it's nice to see that Toonami is exceeding at least our expectations.

One random idea I've had over the past few days is to come up with some sort of equation that grades Toonami's ratings on a curve. The numbers have been steadily dropping for a few years now, and we like to talk about how long it's been since a show last rated X amount of viewers. The days of anything getting a million are long behind us, and even 500K is a tall task nowadays, but if we could average things out based on the gradual decline of TV viewership, it could tell us what passes for a million nowadays, and whether the ever-lowering ratings are actually worth panicking about.

3 hours ago, Ginguy said:

It could be something as simple as asking for selfies from people watching Toonami, or their pets watching Toonami. Pics from people out in public with Toonami gear, or other anime swag (ideally from shows on Toonami) and have these images serve as bumpers during the broadcast. Fan art, contests for new t-shirt designs, perhaps even a podcast or some other kind of social media engagement designed to direct people to watching Toonami. The general idea being cheap, easy to do activities which promote audience engagement and involvement. If they went with the T shirt thing you also have a direct revenue opportunity as well.

Interesting post. Toonami already had something like a podcast years ago with Pre-Flight, which I watched for a while and enjoyed. I don't know how you would reinvent the wheel, but Jason and Gill finding some time to talk about the block and how great it is, with a focus on current and recently-aired shows, would be nice. And showing off fan art was something the block did back in its CN heyday; thanks to Caboose for this stray upload. As for the T-shirt thing: given that Toonami has been partners with Daylight Curfew for a while, I think it'd be cool to outsource merch designs. They could even give out free stuff to go along with it; the only Toonami apparel I own is a T-shirt I got from the 20th anniversary giveaway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Blatch said:

A rerun is the highest-rated show of the year so far? Who'da thunk it? In fact, that episode of Primal is the best anything on Toonami has done since a Fena premiere back in September. While the lineup could definitely be better, it's nice to see that Toonami is exceeding at least our expectations.

One random idea I've had over the past few days is to come up with some sort of equation that grades Toonami's ratings on a curve. The numbers have been steadily dropping for a few years now, and we like to talk about how long it's been since a show last rated X amount of viewers. The days of anything getting a million are long behind us, and even 500K is a tall task nowadays, but if we could average things out based on the gradual decline of TV viewership, it could tell us what passes for a million nowadays, and whether the ever-lowering ratings are actually worth panicking about.

Interesting post. Toonami already had something like a podcast years ago with Pre-Flight, which I watched for a while and enjoyed. I don't know how you would reinvent the wheel, but Jason and Gill finding some time to talk about the block and how great it is, with a focus on current and recently-aired shows, would be nice. And showing off fan art was something the block did back in its CN heyday; thanks to Caboose for this stray upload. As for the T-shirt thing: given that Toonami has been partners with Daylight Curfew for a while, I think it'd be cool to outsource merch designs. They could even give out free stuff to go along with it; the only Toonami apparel I own is a T-shirt I got from the 20th anniversary giveaway.

It’s probably around 25-30% of what it was in 2017. So I guess we could formulate from that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, Sketch said:

That’s an interesting idea. What sorts of things could they do?

For starters they need an official Twitter account 

 

Also a presence on other social platforms besides Facebook. It’s considered the network mostly older people use and engaging on platforms with different audiences would help.

Of course being what’s considered an older guy myself I’d have no idea what those would be 😛

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, brianycpht said:

For starters they need an official Twitter account 

 

Also a presence on other social platforms besides Facebook. It’s considered the network mostly older people use and engaging on platforms with different audiences would help.

Of course being what’s considered an older guy myself I’d have no idea what those would be 😛

InstaSnapTok or something… yeah that what the kids like.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just in case you were wondering:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/05/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-may-22.html?m=1

Yep, Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL and a couple episodes of The Boondocks made the list!

PRIMAL also made it on the 14th/15th:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/05/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-may-15.html?m=1

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Just in case you were wondering:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/05/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-may-22.html?m=1

Yep, Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL and a couple episodes of The Boondocks made the list!

Looking over several of those top 200 rerun lists shows Primal’s retention with Rick & Morty is far better than Shenmue’s was but Primal probably would not have gotten 0.14 and 0.15 if Rick wasn’t getting 0.17 and 0.18 those weeks. And the week AC lead the block the Rick & Morty on Saturday didn’t even rank in the top 200 meaning it got 0.13 or less. There have been a few weeks when the Saturday Rick beat Sunday or was even the highest rated Rick of the week but it is far from consistent. Some weeks American Dad on Saturday outrates Rick as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another good week for Toonami, as all 5 originals make the Top 50!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-5-28-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-5-28-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

"The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL down 0.01 to 0.14/293K, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM steady at 0.12, LUPIN THE 3RD down 0.01 to 0.11, ONE PIECE at 0.11/0.10 compared to last week’s 0.10/0.09, NARUTO up 0.01 t 0.08, SHENMUE up 0.02 to 0.08/140K, and ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.02 to 0.07/128K."

Despite the initial look, most shows either increased or held steady in Adults 18-49!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reruns are starting to do pretty well.

Lupin and One Piece are holding fine.

Things are far from falling apart.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sketch said:

The reruns are starting to do pretty well.

Lupin and One Piece are holding fine.

Things are far from falling apart.

however it does bring up two  very important questions

1.why are so many people flocking to a rerun of primal?

2.why is that rerun performing better than the toonami originals have?

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

1.why are so many people flocking to a rerun of primal?

I don't know. Could be that people think there's value in rewatching it. Or there could be lots of folks like me who haven't seen it, and anything that Toonami touches should turn to gold, right? Also...

35 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

2.why is that rerun performing better than the toonami originals have?

Because it's good.

I mean, this is objectively the best original Toonami has aired since the final season of Samurai Jack. Not to knock anything that came out in the interim, but if you look at the shows on a case-by-case basis: the FLCL sequels had promise but turned out to be either mediocre or unfitting for the franchise, ditto on the former point for Fena (at least it looked great), Blade Runner was part of a valuable franchise but might have been a strike against it (maybe people didn't want to learn the lore?) and it had downright desultory pacing, and for as fun as Shenmue was, being tied to an obscure video game franchise didn't do it any favors. If nothing else, Primal has a neat concept, is a rare example of adult-oriented animation that doesn't trade in crude humor, and has megaton talent behind it in the form of Genndy.

But by all means, feel free to ignore all of that and say that you just don't know. We've done this dance several times before. 🤧

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...