UnevenEdge
enad

Nancy Pelosi on the importance of doing nothing (other than Punching Left)

But here comes the all-important Punching Left component, to set the parameters of Respectable Discourse!

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/07/nancy-pelosi-has-chosen-her-war-and-its-with-her-own-partys-future/

House Democrats Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley have been energetic and outspoken since getting elected last November — and, as a result, have become inured to constant attacks from congressional Republicans and, of course, Fox News.

But how about from their own boss?

In an interview with the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed the Squad as “four people” who have their “public whatever and their Twitter world” but don’t “have any following.”

Ouch. This isn’t the first time Pelosi has trolled the left-wing quartet. In April, when she was asked by Lesley Stahl on “60 Minutes” to comment on the newly emboldened progressive wing of her party, Pelosi responded: “That’s like five people.”

In the wake of November’s midterms, Pelosi mocked calls from AOC and her allies for a Green New Deal: “The green dream or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they’re for it right?”

To be clear: None of these freshmen Democrats have personally attacked Pelosi, and all four of them backed her bid for the speakership. As CNN’s Nathan McDermott tweeted, “It is pretty notable that the most vocally anti-Pelosi Democrats (ala the moderates in swing districts who opposed her leadership) don’t get as much criticism from her as the left-wing of the party.”

In conclusion,

D-Wk9lrWkAM3Wck.jpg:large

something something leaderships' political job is to protect marginal incumbents something something

'Do not tweet': Pelosi scolds progressives in closed-door meeting

The House speaker urged liberal Democrats not to criticize their centrist colleagues in public.

By HEATHER CAYGLE and SARAH FERRIS

07/10/2019 11:38 AM EDT

Updated 07/10/2019 05:45 PM EDT

Speaker Nancy Pelosi chided progressives in a closed-door meeting Wednesday, calling on them to address their intra-party grievances privately rather than blasting their centrist colleagues on Twitter.

Pelosi’s comments, which were described as stern, came during the first full caucus meeting since a major blow up over emergency border funding last month between progressive and moderate lawmakers as well as a recent spat with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and her freshman allies.

"So, again, you got a complaint? You come and talk to me about it," Pelosi told Democrats, according to a source in the room. "But do not tweet about our members and expect us to think that that is just ok."

Democrats inside the room said they interpreted that remark, in part, as a shot at Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.), co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, who called moderate Democrats members of the “Child Abuse Caucus” in a tweet over their support for the Senate’s version of the emergency humanitarian package.

But a Pelosi spokesman said the speaker’s comments were about the use of Twitter in general and not targeted at any individual member.

Pocan, who was not in the meeting, said Pelosi personally phoned him later Wednesday afternoon to apologize that it had been seen that way.

“She didn’t even know about my tweet, and she wasn’t referring to it,” Pocan said. "She’s not a shy individual, if she wants to tell you something, she’ll tell you. She actually called to say just the opposite."

Speaking behind closed-doors Wednesday morning, Pelosi also gave an emphatic defense of the moderates in the caucus, according to multiple sources, telling the room that they’re critical to holding the House majority. Pelosi told Democrats not to make the Blue Dog Coalition their targets and instead criticize her publicly if they need to go after someone.

“I’m here to help the children when it’s easy and when it’s hard. Some of you are here to make a beautiful pâté but we’re making sausage most of the time,” Pelosi told the caucus.

The California Democrat added that when her members target her, it helps fundraising, eliciting a big laugh inside the room.

“We are a family, and every family has its moments,” Pelosi said.

That's only about half the article. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/10/pelosi-progressives-twitter-1405763

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enad said:

She's predictable yet still abominable.

but it's a trait shared by any speaker or majority leader in any legislature

i mean, i kinda do think it's shitty as a philosophical matter that the actual legislative deliberating is almost universally done exclusively by the majority party and in conference behind closed doors, with all these other strings (like not publicly speaking out against your own colleagues or watering things down/burying proposals to protect marginals and avoid showing sign of division) attached, but she's just doing what any speaker would do as long as speakers are elected to represent a majority party with another election just two years away. if she didn't win the speakership and someone else did, that someone else would do the same thing, just without the 20 years of baggage.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

but it's a trait shared by any speaker or majority leader in any legislature

i mean, i kinda do think it's shitty as a philosophical matter that the actual legislative deliberating is almost universally done exclusively by the majority party and in conference behind closed doors, with all these other strings (like not publicly speaking out against your own colleagues or watering things down/burying proposals to protect marginals and avoid showing sign of division) attached, but she's just doing what any speaker would do as long as speakers are elected to represent a majority party with another election just two years away. if she didn't win the speakership and someone else did, that someone else would do the same thing, just without the 20 years of baggage.

Except this isn't how the Republican caucus behaves at all, where debt ceiling defaults are threats as a matter of course to mollify the base.  And it was the moderate wing, not the progs, who mounted a public challenge to her Speakership, but she never criticizes them in Maureen Does NYT spreads.  This isn't about holding a caucus together, as she couldn't give a fuck about losing so long as it's monetized.  It's about policing the borders of the possible to keep the Epstein dinner parties happy.

I mean we can play the game of "reasonable expectations" if you like, but in 2020 when Trump wins reelection and Democrats start whining about youth turnout once again I'm necrobumping this thread.

Edited by enad
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ginguy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9856188

It's funny how all the liberal NPCs are at odds with each other and the party leadership, while the free-thinking big government hating conservatives all march in lock-step...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stilgar said:

Oh look, jingo used a gif of a black person again.

I think there's a term they like to use for the bouncing.

• Haha 2

Democrats right now on Twitter....

a6V2Bo9_700b.jpg

Meanwhile at RNC HQ....

giphy.gif

• D'oh 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Democrats right now on Twitter....

a6V2Bo9_700b.jpg

Meanwhile at RNC HQ....

giphy.gif

Yea it's really dismaying for Democrats.  The last time a party had a major infight back in 2016 things turned out so bad the party went on to control every branch of government.

Edited by enad
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, stilgar said:

Hey jingo, why do you think nazism is fun?

Snappy uniforms?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjooS8vaIW_KYOtTa5idJ

• Haha 1

It's going to be hilarious when Pelosi says nothing in their defense because she agrees with Trump.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

It'll be even funnier when it happens. 

I assume the "it" is send her back to Africa?  

That's way more likely than Pelosi coming to her defense.

So I admit I was wrong but in the most hilarious and validating way possible.  She uses her Coors Lite non-defense of the Congresswoman as a way to circle back and advocate for collaboration with Trump.

Screenshot_20190714-132745.png

• Like 1

Pelosi needs to do better considering Trump just told a member of Congress to go back to Africa. 

He told them all to go back to whence they came, but Rep. Omar is the only one not born here but in Somalia. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KreiaDidNothingWrong said:

“The internet but no following”

idiots who don’t understand the modern world need to sit down and shut the fuck up. 

She meant a following in dc

• Like 1