UnevenEdge

I roux the day...

mthor

Is it just me, or does roux made with bacon grease (and the sauce that's made with it) tend to stick more than roux made with butter? I ask this after pretty much having to sandblast the dishes after making a casserole which required a cheese sauce made with a bacon grease based roux. Standard mac and cheese has never seemed this challenging to clean up.

Butter sounds like a good idea, but I usually use oil for roux when I'm making gumbo. By the time you start adding onion and peppers, it grabs onto the toppings in question up until you need to add the rest of the ingredients and cleans easy. The flour is where it gets overly sticky.

6 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

Butter sounds like a good idea, but I usually use oil for roux when I'm making gumbo. By the time you start adding onion and peppers, it grabs onto the toppings in question up until you need to add the rest of the ingredients and cleans easy. The flour is where it gets overly sticky.

I usually make it with butter for mac and cheese, and it's always sticky, but this was for a roasted cauliflower and bacon casserole - it called for using the bacon grease, and damn...the last time I made anything that was so persistent was when I forgot to grease the pan when I made brownies. I was just curious as to whether anybody else had run into this.

I make a bacon grease based roux when I make tomato gravy. But it never sticks.

I heat the bacon grease. Then add flour, and after whisking that around for a few minutes until it thickens, I add cream gradually. 

It makes a nice roux. 

It makes for a very tasty cheese sauce.

What exactly is tomato gravy? The only time I ever heard about making it was from a friend who used to dump a can of tomatoes into the pan she tried ham in and cooking it down.

1 hour ago, mthor said:

It makes for a very tasty cheese sauce.

What exactly is tomato gravy? The only time I ever heard about making it was from a friend who used to dump a can of tomatoes into the pan she tried ham in and cooking it down.

You fry up some bacon and dice it up. Fry onions in the bacon grease and add back the bacon pieces. Then add flour and whisk all that together. Then gradually add cream to it, whisking that around for a few minutes. Then you add a can of whole peeled tomatoes that have been crushed up. I like whole peeled tomatoes the best. They taste better to me. Then add some salt and pepper and sugar and basil, and stir it good and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. You pour this over biscuits. It's pretty good.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, midnight said:

You fry up some bacon and dice it up. Fry onions in the bacon grease and add back the bacon pieces. Then add flour and whisk all that together. Then gradually add cream to it, whisking that around for a few minutes. Then you add a can of whole peeled tomatoes that have been crushed up. I like whole peeled tomatoes the best. They taste better to me. Then add some salt and pepper and sugar and basil, and stir it good and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. You pour this over biscuits. It's pretty good.

Thank you...I'm going to have to pull out Dad's biscuit recipe now. 😊

• Like 1