UnevenEdge
Greeny

I've never understood being proud of something that you have no control over or took no effort to achieve.

3 minutes ago, Green said:

I don't think any of them should exist. Just my opinion. It shouldn't keep anyone up at night. I don't hate black people because I don't think they should be proud to be black, which they had no control over.

"just my opinion" doesn't absolve you of criticism. If you don't like being called out on your shitty opinions and views stop posting on message boards and interacting with society. 

• Like 5

Just now, Quackers said:

"just my opinion" doesn't absolve you of criticism. If you don't like being called out on your shitty opinions and views stop posting on message boards and interacting with society. 

Never said no one could criticize me. Being told "fuck you" repeatedly and then being told I should be set on fire for my opinions is where I got a little peeved.

Oh come on, you were looking for attention and you got it. Even if that's how you feel, you've rehased this shit in multiple threads looking for reactions. Even in ghostrek's d-day thread.

Also, I think poof got the hammer as well.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Oh come on, you were looking for attention and you got it. Even if that's how you feel, you've rehased this shit in multiple threads looking for reactions. Even in ghostrek's d-day thread.

Maybe a little. I won't completely deny it. The thing is, I knew I'd get it. If they would have just left me to my opinions and said, "Ok, he thinks that. I disagree but whatever.", I would have failed.

I really do believe what I said though. How people reacted to it wasn't my responsibility.

• D'oh 1

40 minutes ago, Green said:

Of course. Can't step out of line around here.

Lol.

I am proof this post is bullshit.

• Like 2

Going into a pride month thread and telling people they have accomplished nothing going through what they do is at least as insulting as telling someone 'fuck you' though. The 'you should be set on fire' I won't defend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stilgar said:

Lol.

I am proof this post is bullshit.

There are different lines. I was probably talking about a different one. The "politically correct" one.

33 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

It gets you arrested in the U.K..

It get you 6 ft under in Russia

2 minutes ago, Green said:

There are different lines. I was probably talking about a different one. The "politically correct" one.

You mean the don't be a fucking dick head piece of shit one?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well if the fire comment didnt do it then she should post her pic just to prove a point

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Going into a pride month thread and telling people they have accomplished nothing going through what they do is at least as insulting as telling someone 'fuck you' though. The 'you should be set on fire' I won't defend.

Ok, let me be more clear here. Being proud of being gay (or straight or whatever) on its own is stupid. If you built up the courage to come out to your parents, be proud of THAT. If you stood up to someone who was bullying you because you were gay and maybe even changed some of their opinions, be proud of THAT. You can be proud of things pertaining to being gay, but being proud of your "gayness" (again, or straightness) just doesn't make sense to me.

And none of my opinions come from a place of hate. They really, really don't. I know it's easy to think that, but it really couldn't be further from the truth.

• D'oh 1

Bucket?

• Haha 1

No.

Just now, stilgar said:

Rogal Dorn trumps Vader every time.

lol trump

i'm proud that i can still grow hair on my head and haven't gone all male pattern bald yet. hasn't taken any effort

6 minutes ago, Naraku4656 said:

i'm proud that i can still grow hair on my head and haven't gone all male pattern bald yet. hasn't taken any effort

Well that's dumb.

I also rarely ever add my thoughts to any thread to keep a sense of neutrality, but i fundamentally disagree that it takes "no effort" to go against any societal norm. I have a sibling who does not identify with any gender, and although i am not part of the LGBT+ community myself, I've seen their struggle in losing friends and even family support.

I try to be there for them, because I know my support helps. Many are not so lucky; I've known many good friends over the years get browbeaten into suicide, or killed for even attempting to express themselves.

You and I are straight, cis, and white; statistically speaking we will never be in the minority and will always be able to be our real selves and seen as normal.They feel a real sense of pride from being able to be seen as their real self and not need to adhere to a forced persona because it's more "normal". How they choose to do this is their prerogative. 

Point being; it's not up to you or I to say how they feel or how they choose to express this feeling is "dumb". We've never had these problems or fought these battles. They have, and that's enough of a non-trivial achievement to be proud of.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Greeny said:

Accomplish something if you want to be proud.

I knew who the upvotes and downvotes for this post were without even looking.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Naraku4656 said:

I also rarely ever add my thoughts to any thread to keep a sense of neutrality, but i fundamentally disagree that it takes "no effort" to go against any societal norm. I have a sibling who does not identify with any gender, and although i am not part of the LGBT+ community myself, I've seen their struggle in losing friends and even family support.

I try to be there for them, because I know my support helps. Many are not so lucky; I've known many good friends over the years get browbeaten into suicide, or killed for even attempting to express themselves.

You and I are straight, cis, and white; statistically speaking we will never be in the minority and will always be able to be our real selves and seen as normal.They feel a real sense of pride from being able to be seen as their real self and not need to adhere to a forced persona because it's more "normal". How they choose to do this is their prerogative. 

Point being; it's not up to you or I to say how they feel or how they choose to express this feeling is "dumb". We've never had these problems or fought these battles. They have, and that's enough of a non-trivial achievement to be proud of.

I disagree that being straight is a societal norm. It's a human norm. Even if we didn't form societies, most human beings would still be straight. We'd go extinct if they weren't.

If your sibling lost friends and family support, that's not society being against them. That's those people having an issue with it. No one wants anything bad to happen to trans people, other than the relatively few bigots out there.

All "normal" means to me is majority. It's not good nor bad. Everyone should be proud to be themselves because peer pressure effects everyone and it takes a conscious effort to go against that. Again, being proud just for being a thing doesn't make sense to me.

If non-white people can lecture me about how great it is to be white and non-straight people can lecture me about how great it is to be straight, then I should at the very least be allowed to have an opinion on issues that pertain to them and not myself. I come from the old-school house of equality where everyone should be treated the same regardless of skin color, sexual orientation, or whatever else. Either something is acceptable for everyone, or it's acceptable for no one. I don't care what people pretend equality is today.

• D'oh 1

4 minutes ago, enad said:

I knew who the upvotes and downvotes for this post were without even looking.

#metoo

Posted (edited)

Man, you sure do get triggered over this gay stuff don't you?

I wonder why it makes you feel so uncomfortable for people to be proud of who you are.

Don't you want to be   proud   of  who you are?

Edited by SwimModSponges
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Man, you sure do get triggered over this gay stuff don't you?

I wonder why it makes you feel so uncomfortable for people to be proud of who you are.

Don't you want to be   proud   of  who you are?

Explaining my viewpoint doesn't mean I'm triggered. I really want people to understand where I'm coming from.

I'm proud of things I earn or accomplish. I'm not proud to be a white guy or anything.

• D'oh 1

4 minutes ago, Quackers said:

Lol at "few bigots" when a massive bigot was elected as president 

I disagree that he's a bigot.

• D'oh 2

9 minutes ago, Green said:

I disagree that he's a bigot.

Most bigots don't think their views are bigoted 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quackers said:

Most bigots don't think their views are bigoted 

Or they're just not bigots in the first place.

• D'oh 2

6 minutes ago, 𝙍𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚𝘼𝙡𝙥𝙝𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙚 said:

what is this dumpster fire

Wrong think. I should be buried right between Stalin and Hitler.

• D'oh 1

8 minutes ago, 𝙍𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚𝘼𝙡𝙥𝙝𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙚 said:

what is this dumpster fire

Greeny being upset there isn't a straight pride month or a white history month. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greeny said:

Accomplish something if you want to be proud.

Some people cant, and need other people in their proximity to do well so they can leech off their success.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, stilgar said:

Greeny being upset there isn't a straight pride month or a white history month. 

Is that what this is....I didn't feel like reading it, but I felt the OP....Whatever crazy train he took after that I have failed to acknowledge.

Edited by cyberbully

Just now, cyberbully said:

It that what this is....I didn't feel like reading it, but I felt the OP....Whatever crazy train he took after that I have failed to acknowledge.

It's the exact opposite. Figured I'd say it a fifth time even though it won't matter anyway.

2 minutes ago, stilgar said:

You're right, you don't matter greeny. 

No one matters. We're all mulch whenever mother nature decides to wipe us out. And there's nothing we can do to stop her.

9 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

name some examples. 

Bust your ass at work and earn a raise or even a promotion.

Run a 4 minute mile.

Save and sacrifice enough to put a down payment on that house.

Grow some balls and ask that girl out.

Anything that requires work or effort. I'm not saying anything profound here.

We get is greeny, you don't understand what pride is about. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stilgar said:

We get is greeny, you don't understand what pride is about. 

No, in this age where everyone gets a trophy I guess I don't.

• D'oh 1

So, you're mad about not getting all the trophies now?

Ya got me. Bravo.

2 minutes ago, 𝙍𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚𝘼𝙡𝙥𝙝𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙚 said:

You seem very narrow-minded about what can and cannot be considered something to be proud of.

It's a difference of opinion.

• D'oh 1