UnevenEdge
Naraku4656

does anyone actually LIKE political cartoons?

I like how Ben doesn't even bother disguising his misogyny.  All these WOC Dems give him the club he needs to half fuck his wife each morning.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sho Minamimoto said:

Subtlety isn't a thing.....I like how I didn't have to think about the jokes.

I suspect that's the reason only the Trumpiest of Republicans actually reads that guy.

• Like 1

Jeez, Google.  I searched on "political cartoons" to find some good ones, and the first "related search" box was "best right wing news sites," followed by "10 best political news sites," with 6 of the 7 logos shown being rw sites like Daily Caller, The Blaze and Breitbart. 

Anyway, I think you mean editorial cartoons, and those tend to be not so funny because of who still reads newspapers.  But for political cartoons, it depends on who the cartoonist is.  Tom Tomorrow is always pretty sharp.  Pia Guerra is usually not funny, but she's not trying to be.  Sick burns though.

fake-muse-1-ad7.thumb.jpeg.8f2dcfa957934222726db3c6b22fdb20.jpeg

spotlight-1-e1c.thumb.jpeg.8068295f7bd546d833195235098dcc44.jpeg

1310af265b2393fa0fea0383b09e62b38e011e06f4a86f1e42d01bdcd6e50a3d.jpg.46179d59c0f5bf404ad05c1a50da9426.jpg

Not a cartoon, still funny.

e1af548c6d22f04ef3afd88d90af4b355c72a5d6baaa9cf45b99885fa0c5d8e4.jpg.6c88149f57a5a6118921f9aa8fad7171.jpg

Not even political, but funny.

cobbles.jpg.600b2dbeea84349c7b09aad5c633b06c.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, enad said:

Ben Garrison's are unironically awesome.

45mq3l0y5c021.jpg

why do you keep posting this one? trump with the magic wand was better lol

59 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

why do you keep posting this one? trump with the magic wand was better lol

This is the first time I've posted this one.  

14 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

oh. ive definitely seen it before.

As a racist you just have difficulty telling black political cartoons apart.

2 hours ago, enad said:

As a racist you just have difficulty telling black political cartoons apart.

if thats true theres some cartoon plagiarism going on here!

12 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

JAnyway, I think you mean editorial cartoons, and those tend to be not so funny because of who still reads newspapers.  But for political cartoons, it depends on who the cartoonist is.  Tom Tomorrow is always pretty sharp.  Pia Guerra is usually not funny, but she's not trying to be.  Sick burns though.

The likes of Berkley Breathed, Garry Trudeau, and Mike Peters have all somewhat transcended the traditional editorial cartoon and its blunt satire for something that might better fit in the "Comics" section.  In that respect, the Worst Naraku is somewhat on point in that there is a distinct difference between "editorial cartoons" and "political comics" - the latter being more of an opinion piece than the former on account of it not being more than a single panel and the introduction of humor as a form of commentary in its own right.  Tom Tomorrow is more of the former while Pia is a prototypical editorial cartoonist - creating a visual tableau of particular issue without necessarily offering an opinion.  Ben Garrison is just a worthless drunk who feeds his addiction by pandering to idiots.

11 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The likes of Berkley Breathed, Garry Trudeau, and Mike Peters have all somewhat transcended the traditional editorial cartoon and its blunt satire for something that might better fit in the "Comics" section.  In that respect, the Worst Naraku is somewhat on point in that there is a distinct difference between "editorial cartoons" and "political comics" - the latter being more of an opinion piece than the former on account of it not being more than a single panel and the introduction of humor as a form of commentary in its own right.  Tom Tomorrow is more of the former while Pia is a prototypical editorial cartoonist - creating a visual tableau of particular issue without necessarily offering an opinion.  Ben Garrison is just a worthless drunk who feeds his addiction by pandering to idiots.

I was the one who made the distinction, which is actually more that editorials are a subset of political cartoons, rather than a different thing. I should have been clearer on that.  You also seem to be confusing "former" and "latter," so it's kind of hard to follow your point.  But are you seriously saying that Guerra's work doesn't tell us her opinion on her subjects?  If so, you're really missing her points.  Also, an editorial cartoon is by definition an opinion piece.

11 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I was the one who made the distinction, which is actually more that editorials are a subset of political cartoons, rather than a different thing. I should have been clearer on that.  You also seem to be confusing "former" and "latter," so it's kind of hard to follow your point.  But are you seriously saying that Guerra's work doesn't tell us her opinion on her subjects?  If so, you're really missing her points.  Also, an editorial cartoon is by definition an opinion piece.

No, I'm no confusing the terms, nor am I suggesting that either lacks an opinion.  I think the crossed wires here have something to do with how we each define editorial and political cartoons.  Technically, the terms have been used interchangeably from the days when editorial cartoons were the only form of the medium.  Since that time, the advent of serial comics has expanded the medium to other branches of commentary (Scott McCloud is the best thing you'll ever read on the subject).  In that respect, my feeling is that the two are now distinct if overlapping and that the broader "political cartoon" category actually more correctly describes comics that have political commentary while editorial cartoons are more rigidly defined as single panel cartoons that portray current events.

It's somewhat difficult to convey in this context, but the best way I can explain what I meant by "opinion" is that single panel editorial cartoons have less space to convey a sense of self than a four-panel strip.  For one thing, editorial cartoons use caricatures of known personalities or archetypes to pantomime the artist's opinion.  This certainly has the benefit of being a more direct appraisal of the subject's actions and words, but it also limits the voice of the author as an autonomous entity.  The criticism is entirely contained within the caricature's own actions and words, so, for instance, Pia has Biden himself verbalize her opinion of him and his campaign.  By comparison, a typical Berkley Breathed comic doesn't have any celebrity caricatures in it, instead the series regulars often are the ones who express political commentary through unrelated circumstances.  The advantage to this is that the author more directly expresses himself through his own creations to the distinct disadvantage of being, at best, generic commentary on the day.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, scoobdog said:

No, I'm no confusing the terms

The terms in question being "former" and "latter."  I think you need to reread what you wrote:

On 5/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, scoobdog said:

there is a distinct difference between "editorial cartoons" and "political comics" - the latter being more of an opinion piece [than the former] on account of it not being more than a single panel and the introduction of humor as a form of commentary in its own right.  Tom Tomorrow is more of the former while Pia is a prototypical editorial cartoonist - creating a visual tableau of particular issue without necessarily offering an opinion.

While there may be some confusion as to what "it" refers to (I think the grammatical referent is "opinion piece"), nevertheless you've identified both TT's multipanel and PG's single panel works as "the former"/"editorial, which by your definitions they both can't be. 

In that respect, my feeling is that the two are now distinct if overlapping and that the broader "political cartoon" category actually more correctly describes comics that have political commentary while editorial cartoons are more rigidly defined as single panel cartoons that portray current events.

You can't be simultaneously distinct and overlapping. :)  Otherwise, I mostly agree with what you said here, but it's not what you said before.  Editorials are single panels on the editorial page; political can be single or multipanel, appearing wherever they can get published.

The criticism is entirely contained within the caricature's own actions and words, so, for instance, Pia has Biden himself verbalize her opinion of him and his campaign.

If that's what you think that piece is about, it really did go over your head.  She's not criticizing his campaign per se.  The main point is that that seems to be the sum total of his campaign, and yet he gets all the spotlight while well-prepared women with new ideas and plans are left in the shadows by the media.  It's more a criticism of the MSM than Creepy Unca Joe, in a show-don't-tell format where what he's saying is peripheral to her criticism.  You just have to look at what she's showing you.

That's a whole lot of quoting.

So....

1.  I know what terms you meant.

2.  See ensuing post.

3.  Yes they can.

4.  I didn't say she was criticizing just his campaign.  His campaign is a microcosm of greater gender and ideological issues.  I generally agree with Dane in that Biden exists as an antithesis to the true liberal movement: that explicitly includes the marginalization of women, LGBTQ, and minorities.

Edited by scoobdog