UnevenEdge
Kweerie

Keep your eyes on the road, your hand upon the wheel

What was initially little more than an attempt to undo his predecessor's legacy, having no real agenda of his own, Trump's decision to abandon the JCPOA can now be seen as the beginning of a series of provocations targeting Iran: increasing sanctions and ending waivers, declaring a branch of its armed forces to be a terrorist organization, deploying a carrier strike group to the gulf region, and now the evacuation of all non-essential staff at an embassy in Iraq- the last two actions citing an unspecified, but allegedly credible, threat. A threat that allies in the region have yet to recognize.

The aggressive nature of these moves are unsurprising, given the addition of John Bolton to the administration, but unsettling nevertheless. Iran, for its part, is doing little to deescalate tensions, threatening to resume the enrichment of uranium. A fact that will inevitably be repeated in an all too familiar refrain regarding weapons of mass destruction. One would hope the public would require tangible evidence before giving its blessing to an ill-thought-out military excursion this go round. One would hope. But perhaps the more salient fear is whether such considerations are of any concern to the deciders we presently have.

For a less bleak take, on the other hand, one can look to the similar situation in Venezuela and note that despite having widespread international support, a regime in prime position for changing, and statements on record by the President supporting the idea of invading and pillaging- despite all that- no boots are on the ground. Yet. It is by no means a sure sign that restraint will win the day, but it's something.

War looms ever just beyond the horizon, and seems to be edging closer with each passing moment. We worry not only that it is on it's way, but also about what shape it will take once it arrives. Proxies and cyber ensure that combat won't be constrained to the conventional fields of battle, and so neither will the damages. It is impossible to say how this plays out, if it does so at all, and in the meantime all We have is speculation and feelings of helplessness. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

• D'oh 1

11 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Seriously.  Font is broken.  Stop using.

Just about the perennial hateboner conservatives have for Iran due to Boomer childhood pathology even though Saudi Arabia is guilty of everything that Iran does and more.

• Like 1

I will confess that I've been so overwhelmed in my own little bubble that I completely missed all the steps in between abandoning the nuclear deal and evacuating the embassy in Iraq. It seems pretty abrupt.

Though I read a bit today and it seems like it's heading that way even though Trump doesn't want this at all.

30 minutes ago, enad said:

Just about the perennial hateboner conservatives have for Iran due to Boomer childhood pathology even though Saudi Arabia is guilty of everything that Iran does and more.

Lol.  I didn't particularly need a summary since their posts tend to be a lot of flash without much of a bang.

Iran is an easily digestible target for Trump's idiotic supporters, so, naturally, building up tensions with Iran is a sure-fire way to keep them occupied.  As to whether or not Trump intends to engage in a fight with them, I think it exceedingly likely that he fully intends to use his posturing to give Saudi Arabia a pretext for escalating their own conflicts in the Arabian Peninsula.  This really serves to "kill two birds with one stone" in that it bolsters his electorate and also serves notice to China that the US can be a disruptive force as it tries to renegotiate trade agreements:  it's something of a sad commentary that Trump has to resort to tricks to prove to the world that we as a country still matter.

As far as Venezuela, the US is really just in for the ride.  Getting a Maduro out of power is beneficial to us, so its only natural we would support opposition.  But, in the grander scheme of things, its also a low risk investment - if the insurrection fails, then we hardly lose any standing with any of our Latin American neighbors as long as we don't get actively involved in the conflict and remain in a support position.

In either case, Trump being a provacateur hardly has the same kind of menace as, say, circa 1903 Teddy Roosevelt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

I will confess that I've been so overwhelmed in my own little bubble that I completely missed all the steps in between abandoning the nuclear deal and evacuating the embassy in Iraq. It seems pretty abrupt.

Though I read a bit today and it seems like it's heading that way even though Trump doesn't want this at all.

Can you do something about making the OP's font work on mobile?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Is that unreadable to you or does it display differently to you?

Strangely enough, I don't have much of a problem reading the font on the desktop but that mobile shot you posted is a kind of hell. O.o I'm slightly color-blind and that mobile is a blur of missing everything and hints of red.

Anyway, my thought on Venezuela is it isn't on the Annoying Orange's official tantrum radar because it's way too close. He doesn't want to get into a head butting contest with someone in the same western hemisphere that is a little too much like the types of people he would otherwise adore if they were anywhere else.  

36 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Screenshot_2019-05-16-17-05-32.png

Screenshot_20190516-174347_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b412a98d7797943100a9f9e9f16d50b.jpg

Mobile ^ 

Fix it 

• Thanks 2

The dirty little secret is that Trump is more moderate or to put it another way  more reluctant to engage in a shooting match than the most of the Republican party when it comes to regime change in Iran or Venezuela.  For that matter he's more reluctant than a lot of the Democratic establishment like Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer when it comes to Iran and Venezuela.

59 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Screenshot_2019-05-16-17-05-32.png

On my iPhone, that appears as a script font.  On this computer, it appears as Georgia.  I believe its supposed to be Comic Sans.  For whatever reason, Comic Sans does not work across all platforms and its replaced by a script font on a lot of handhelds.

Edited by scoobdog

1 hour ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Wag that dog, baby.

28 minutes ago, enad said:

The dirty little secret is that Trump is more moderate or to put it another way  more reluctant to engage in a shooting match than the most of the Republican party when it comes to regime change in Iran or Venezuela.  For that matter he's more reluctant than a lot of the Democratic establishment like Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer when it comes to Iran and Venezuela.

Reluctance would be in keeping with his self-deluded identity as a global real estate icon.

Capture-2019-05-16-19-05-01.png

If it wasn't dark red on dark gray it wouldn't be as bad but still shittier than a regular font. In the past i've just turned the brightness up to read kweeries posts but im not fuckin doing it anymore. You don't deserve more of my battery.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Reluctance would be in keeping with his self-deluded identity as a global real estate icon.

I don't think he suffers from pangs of human empathy as much as he just doesn't want to be blamed for things going wrong.  He's still trying to punish Puerto Rico because he felt he got "bad ratings" for his Maria response.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, enad said:

I don't think he suffers from pangs of human empathy as much as he just doesn't want to be blamed for things going wrong.  He's still trying to punish Puerto Rico because he felt he got "bad ratings" for his Maria response.  

Who said anything about empathy?  I firmly believe he thinks in terms of "Where can I get me next deal on a golf course?" and that determines who and what he chooses to bluster about.  If fucking with Iran caused MBS to rub himself with delight, then cool beans - maybe one of their overprices properties would be happy to add the TRUMP name on top.  I'm sure he would start a war if he thought it would get him cheap property, but not in a place in the middle of the desert.

• Like 1

I can read the font fine these people are either just now experiencing eye problems in their old age or lost their bifocals before they signed in not sure which. As for the real point of the thread war with Iran is probably inevitable anyway.

It's not hard for me to believe Iranian forces were responsible for the oil tanker attacks in the gulf that has the u.s pulling out state officials in Iraq.. The JCPOA likely did little to squash the plans of the MB and various militant groups that are pulling for control of the area as a whole..Not just Iran. Maybe calling the countries military as a whole a terrorist group is a but much though? Not a win for diplomacy for sure, but the statement itself probably isn't too far from true. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/iran-fm-concrete-action-needed-save-nuclear-deal-190517093843500.html

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

18 hours ago, Poof said:

Capture-2019-05-16-19-05-01.png

If it wasn't dark red on dark gray it wouldn't be as bad but still shittier than a regular font. In the past i've just turned the brightness up to read kweeries posts but im not fuckin doing it anymore. You don't deserve more of my battery.

Oh it doesn't display in cursive on desktop for some reason.. It's way easier to read than that for me, but now I see what all the complaints are about. xD