UnevenEdge

Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL Trailer

Random rambling thoughts...

He's aiming for a coveted spot on the Sunday schedule which is the only place other than as a lead-in to the official Toonami block on Saturdays that could currently work for a new series of this nature. It needs targeted exposure in order to really take off with an audience and enough time to have steady episodes to feed that audience once it starts airing. 

However, I'm unsure about it's artistic quality fitting into the usual Sunday schedule. Things that tend to move away from Hanna-Barbara / Fox-like animations tend to end up pushed back into the night [ ex. Boondocks ] but Genndy's stuff does better in the 'daylight' of a schedule at least in getting itself established. It's not a weekday show unless he's gone back to doing 'shorts' ala the Cartoon Cartoon days of his start and therefore will have a butt-ton of new to put out there but if that's the case, [ as ] will end up blending back into CN with it's ad nauseum use of shorts on repeat to fill time cheaply. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that it has potential.

It's an attempt at storytelling without any words whatsoever. Even though Samurai Jack had it's silent episodes, it still had language as a potential. It will be interesting to see what it's progression is under those circumstances and whether it'll gain and retain a fan base. It's basically a picture book for adults.

Hey, I got no problem with the lack of voices. The silent Jack episodes/scenes were certainly masterful. But. Idk. I'm definitely just being entirely too critical, too picky, etc. It's not strictly bad. Just, not as classy as I had hoped, coming from him. But at the same time, I can still see why it is what it is. Like a strange blend of Samurai Jack and early Venture Bros. Specifically the Brock rampages. The violence is just borderline ridiculous.

Might just be I had different expectations. First impressions were that it was sorta trying to take itself seriously. And then it busted out the buckets of blood and spears through skulls, etc (admittedly, was only able to catch the second half of the episode when I was able to catch it at all).

It's a personal thing, but I just didn't feel like they were able to blend all the elements that they wanted very well. No words, good animation, sound design, so forth, all setting up for something to get immersed in. But then it just goes over the top with the rest (ok, yeah, I'm focusing a little too much on how silly the violence seemed), that, for myself, just took me out of the experience.

All that said, I can still see how it's a fitting inclusion for [as]. Really, it kinda hits all the right weird notes for them. And I'm not opposed to seeing more. Just, didn't wow me right out of the gate.

• 3 weeks later...