UnevenEdge

contractors contracting

wacky1980

1 hour ago, π™π™€π™œπ™ͺπ™šπ˜Όπ™‘π™₯π™π™€π™£π™¨π™š said:

Wind down? We need more progress pics and end results!!

i'll post up a new thread once we're all built out. but sure, some progress pics. for reference, this is where we started in april of last year.

IMG_20180403_133704.thumb.jpg.baba2f761893a864cd7b38e6e8efde24.jpg

the pole in the center of the shot is still there, so it's a good reference point for this one from yesterday morning after i got the fence & stage buildings whitewashed. pole is at the right side of this photo.

IMG_20190707_120313_01.thumb.jpg.6dad6157b80504311525ae67edcb33c5.jpg

asshole neighbor threw up the "no parking" signs a couple weeks ago because he's an asshole. people have parked on that lot for decades, and he got pissy when we were doing the building demo last summer because we had to use some of the lot for staging the demo area. i got his permission and everything, but he just turned into a jerk afterwards, so this is what we're dealing with on the west side of the lot.

this is inside, looking at the bar. yesterday afternoon, after i got done whitewashing that building.

IMG_20190707_141814_01.thumb.jpg.11514054003e545f8dd0b3663edbafe0.jpg

i think the whitewash is a good look. it won't look so bland once we decorate and get everything else painted and cleaned up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

i'll post up a new thread once we're all built out. but sure, some progress pics. for reference, this is where we started in april of last year.

IMG_20180403_133704.thumb.jpg.baba2f761893a864cd7b38e6e8efde24.jpg

the pole in the center of the shot is still there, so it's a good reference point for this one from yesterday morning after i got the fence & stage buildings whitewashed. pole is at the right side of this photo.

IMG_20190707_120313_01.thumb.jpg.6dad6157b80504311525ae67edcb33c5.jpg

asshole neighbor threw up the "no parking" signs a couple weeks ago because he's an asshole. people have parked on that lot for decades, and he got pissy when we were doing the building demo last summer because we had to use some of the lot for staging the demo area. i got his permission and everything, but he just turned into a jerk afterwards, so this is what we're dealing with on the west side of the lot.

this is inside, looking at the bar. yesterday afternoon, after i got done whitewashing that building.

IMG_20190707_141814_01.thumb.jpg.11514054003e545f8dd0b3663edbafe0.jpg

i think the whitewash is a good look. it won't look so bland once we decorate and get everything else painted and cleaned up.

I love the whitewash look, it fits well on the T-111

Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, π™π™€π™œπ™ͺπ™šπ˜Όπ™‘π™₯π™π™€π™£π™¨π™š said:

I love the whitewash look, it fits well on the T-111

Β 

that's what i thought too. that stuff doesn't weather very well on its own, so i figured i'd thin out some kilz outdoor primer and spray it on everywhere to help protect it a bit and to get the whitewashed look. it's not 100% what i was hoping for, but it's close enough that it will work (at least for the rest of this season). until the wife decides she wants a different color/effect, that is.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:53 AM, wacky1980 said:

assuming good weather this weekend (and that's never a safe assumption anymore), i'll be painting my ass off.

we painted the living room this week. which in reality means we painted the first coat on half the walls before gf rage-quit out of anger and frustration so then I called my father and asked him to help finish on a day she's at work just to get it done which in reality turned into him just doing it all (finishing the first coat and the whole second coat) in the amount of time it took us to get half the walls the first go-around.

basically this means i am as manly and handy as you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

that's what i thought too. that stuff doesn't weather very well on its own, so i figured i'd thin out some kilz outdoor primer and spray it on everywhere to help protect it a bit and to get the whitewashed look. it's not 100% what i was hoping for, but it's close enough that it will work (at least for the rest of this season). until the wife decides she wants a different color/effect, that is.

It might fade into a nicer whitewash, but the pics make it look decent already. But since you'll be decorating it and all, that will pull focus away from it anyway

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

we painted the living room this week. which in reality means we painted the first coat on half the walls before gf rage-quit out of anger and frustration so then I called my father and asked him to help finish on a day she's at work just to get it done which in reality turned into him just doing it all (finishing the first coat and the whole second coat) in the amount of time it took us to get half the walls the first go-around.

basically this means i am as manly and handy as you.

tbh, i did use a fancy sprayer for all of my painting. i had to tape off a few spots and use a shield around doorways etc., and a lot of the work was on a ladder/scaffold, but i never touched a roller or brush and i painted about 2500 sqft in 5 hours with lots of breaks.

rollers are for pussies.Β i'm a tough manly man after this last 6 weeks of construction labor, so i can say stuff like that now.

• Like 1

went until 3am last night, getting the cooler *almost* finished up and wiring the sub main back to the main panel. i hate myself a lot today. not sure if i can keep this pace up for another 2-3 days, but if we want to get open on thursday i don't have much of a choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

went until 3am last night, getting the cooler *almost* finished up and wiring the sub main back to the main panel. i hate myself a lot today. not sure if i can keep this pace up for another 2-3 days, but if we want to get open on thursday i don't have much of a choice.

Welcome to the fraternity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Welcome to the fraternity.

No shit, right? Tonight was a shorter evening of work. It's only 12:30 and I'm already home. We finished the cooler and got it running (down to 39*F when I last checked) and turned on some lights.

IMG_20190709_220515.thumb.jpg.6902f67c6dd72a0823bc2659991ea921.jpg

I also got the bar top put together, and I'm pretty pleased with the result so far. We'llΒ be routing... routering... uhm... finishing the edges and installing it tomorrow, and painting the bar room as well. Carpenter plans to finish out the bathrooms, build the foot rail, and hang the last couple doors tomorrow. Plumber keeps letting us down, but he promised he'd be in tomorrow to install fixtures...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wacky1980 said:

is it, like, a job requirement for plumbers to be reeeeally bad at sticking a timeline? even one they offer up?Β 

or is it just this one plumber.

There's one of those on every job, and its never the same trade, or contractor.

• Like 1

i'm so close. kinda losing my mind at this point. been keeping loose track of the hours i've spent working in there, and i'm at about 75 hours in the last 7 days. and that's after working around the day job, 8-4 M-F. i'm taking today off while the plumber and carpenter finish up their lists.

we "opened"Β for a few hours last nightΒ with a very limited capability. only one bathroom was functional, and none of my bar sinks.Β the draft system is still in boxes. frozen cocktails are up. soda gun/mixed cocktailsΒ is up. under-bar beer cooler still hasn't arrived, so i wasΒ retrieving beers one-at-a-time from the walk-in for customers, ugh.Β tv/internet isn't installed yet either, but i got a sound system wired up so we at least hadΒ music. and with no internet, the point-of-sale is functioning inΒ cash-only status.Β i got three tables built for seating...five more to go. and i pulled a coupleΒ barstools from the other place until that order arrives.

even with all the unfinished work, about 20 people wandered throughΒ and had a fucking blast until i kicked them out at 1am. it's still way too early to make any assumptions, but i feel like we've built something pretty awesome here.

gonna hit things hard tomorrow and sunday, and hopefully i'm at about 90% capability after that. then i get a few evenings next week to finish up some storage and electrical stuff that's not necessary to function, but will make life a lot easier. and we open hard next thursday.Β 

• Like 2

down to the last few bits now. i still have 4 taps to install (the other 6 have performed spectacularly since i got them installed saturday), plusΒ the tv and internet. also a little painting here and there, building the last couple tables, and adding some paper dispensers in restrooms, and we're just about all the way there. final health inspection is tomorrow afternoon. barring any complications from that, we should be up and running at capacity this weekend.

very first pour off one of my favoritesΒ from the new draft system. this pint of TG pseudo sue tasted better than any beer has ever tasted.

result_1563071477686.thumb.jpg.926662e5bf6dbcd5a3bd3b5539976e53.jpg

• Like 3

passed our final health inspection -- tentatively. i still have a few things to get right, but they're going to let us open anyway. they're coming back in a month for a follow-up. THANK THE GODS.

deliveries are all in. i still have to go after the garage door tonight, and then get up early tomorrow to install it before the heat gets too crazy again. beer cooler arrived this afternoon. they lost it on a dock at the warehouse two hours away from here. it took them a week to find it, but they did yesterday and got it here today.Β 

got some more painting and decorating to get done, and a little electrical work on the stage. gotta seal some surfaces in the bar, but that will have to wait until next week. and finally,Β i still have 3 tables to put together, but i might mess with themΒ tonight after i get back from picking up the garage door. we're running with five tables tonight. oh, yeah. we're officially opening tonight (!). at this point, we're about as ready as we can hope to be. holy fucking cow, we made it...

IMG_20190718_002049.thumb.jpg.6629c17c00e6859003b1732e3104eb67.jpg

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

passed our final health inspection -- tentatively. i still have a few things to get right, but they're going to let us open anyway. they're coming back in a month for a follow-up. THANK THE GODS.

deliveries are all in. i still have to go after the garage door tonight, and then get up early tomorrow to install it before the heat gets too crazy again. beer cooler arrived this afternoon. they lost it on a dock at the warehouse two hours away from here. it took them a week to find it, but they did yesterday and got it here today.Β 

got some more painting and decorating to get done, and a little electrical work on the stage. gotta seal some surfaces in the bar, but that will have to wait until next week. and finally,Β i still have 3 tables to put together, but i might mess with themΒ tonight after i get back from picking up the garage door. we're running with five tables tonight. oh, yeah. we're officially opening tonight (!). at this point, we're about as ready as we can hope to be. holy fucking cow, we made it...

IMG_20190718_002049.thumb.jpg.6629c17c00e6859003b1732e3104eb67.jpg

How the hell can you lose a beer cooler in a warehouse?Β 

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, wacky1980 said:

is it, like, a job requirement for plumbers to be reeeeally bad at sticking a timeline? even one they offer up?Β 

or is it just this one plumber.

All the plumbing jobs I've done for the last month have had fuct time lines because material and inspectors. One town has 4 plumbing inspectors and they all decided to go on vacation at the same time. I shit you not. ALL 4. Not a conference or some continuing ed, fuck that......vacation.Β 

• Like 2

yesterday was a rough one. i took the day off from the bank and we started workΒ at 6am. finished all the wiring, hung the garage door, set upΒ the last 4 draft lines, finished out the restrooms, got some plumbing stuff buttoned up, organized the bar and cooler, and got the doors open by 4pm. then we had a band last night and closed it down at midnight.

this morning i'm working at the bank,Β then back outside toΒ open the garden at noon in another hot-assed 95F day. a methamphetamine bump would be pretty nice right now. anyways, we're open.

• Like 2

first weekend is in the book. the heat kicked our asses, but we had a good turnout on friday for the band. it's gonna take a couple weeks for word to get out, because we've only done a minimal amount of marketing due to not knowing for sure when we'd be open and not having any imagesΒ to use for promo. but we got some good stuff over the weekend that we'll use this week to start pumping out the promo. this weekend is gonna be on the quiet side, and then next weekend is county fair weekend so we'll probably lay kinda low then as well so as to not directly compete with their timeline. but we're setting ourselves up to fill the rest of the season with music and events and whatnot, starting on like the 2nd or 3rd week of august.Β 

heading back in tonight to work on hard surfaces. gotta paint andΒ poly bartops, and tear down the frozen machine for maintenance. easy stuff in comparison to the last few weeks of evening workloads.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, crackymckrackin said:

Are you going to do any background painting on the stage?

after i get the necessities finished up, i'm going to probably paint the upstage walls something neutral, or panel them and paint the paneling. wife picked out a good color somewhere in between brown and tan.Β i have an idea that i'd like to paint hop bines on several walls, because that's kinda the theme we'll have rolling out there with all the live hop plants. it would have to be nice art though. no cheesy kindergarten-qualityΒ vine drawings. don't know if i'll commission that stuff or try to do it myself.

do you have suggestions?

2 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

this looks amazing!

and honestly? why not let a local artist do something?

or some 'graffiti' style?Β 

this is a small town. like, really small. i don't know of any actual, self-described artists in this town beyond the retired lady across the alley who makes pottery. and her husband is the cocksucker who gave us hell over the fence and parking, so she's right out. but i'm not opposed to the idea of letting someone else ... um ... well, typing thisΒ out is a littleΒ harder than i expected it to be. ok ... with a little coaxing, i would probably be willing to let someone take a swing at painting my property ... ugh, i dunno. i'm apparently a littleΒ protective of my new baby.

• Haha 2

Just now, wacky1980 said:

this is a small town. like, really small. i don't know of any actual, self-described artists in this town beyond the retired lady across the alley who makes pottery. and her husband is the cocksucker who gave us hell over the fence and parking, so she's right out. but i'm not opposed to the idea of letting someone else ... um ... well, typing thisΒ out is a littleΒ harder than i expected it to be. ok ... with a little coaxing, i would probably be willing to let someone take a swing at painting my property ... ugh, i dunno. i'm apparently a littleΒ protective of my new baby.

no..i get it. but you could put something out in your local 'sale/find/trade' facebook page, have artist submit a mini portfolio.Β 

i'd come out and do it...but got some big things happening here. ;)

Β 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

I agree with disco,Β  and if they screw it up, you were going to paint it anyway.Β 

• Like 2