UnevenEdge

contractors contracting

wacky1980

16 hours ago, crackymckrackin said:

Good luck. 

thanks. they're moving along again today. working hard to get ahead of schedule, in anticipation of rain for the next 7 years. pouring the slab in the restroom and utility areas, rat walls on every exterior wall (i didn't ask for it but ok, he's the pro) and also the slab in the bar area. if they get all that done today, they have the rest of the week to get ready for pouring the rest of the slab in the public areas. shit, if the weather holds off, he might be done by the end of the week. 

check that. pouring the buildings *possibly* today, if they can get the cement trucks to show up. otherwise, tomorrow. then forming up the rest probably tomorrow/friday and pouring early next week. might have to get some pics to see if scoob and cracky approve ;) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

check that. pouring the buildings *possibly* today, if they can get the cement trucks to show up. otherwise, tomorrow. then forming up the rest probably tomorrow/friday and pouring early next week. might have to get some pics to see if scoob and cracky approve ;) 

Bring em on.

10 hours ago, crackymckrackin said:

Bring em on.

cement trucks aren't available til friday now, so they're forming up some more today and pouring tomorrow if weather allows. we've had rain every night this week, including a tornado that slid just north of town last night, so everything's pretty saturated. supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow, but if it's not too bad we'll get something done anyways.

can't wait for the wet season to wind down. it's been a bitch of a spring.

30 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Goddamn, what was that biblical flood, 40 days and 40 nights? That's pansy shit. Try SEVEN FUCKING YEARS.

i mean, there's no end in sight and it's already been ongoing for the last week, so...

weather.thumb.png.1b97a5d6f9e1023cc3084f59d79ca472.png

12 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

cement trucks aren't available til friday now, so they're forming up some more today and pouring tomorrow if weather allows. we've had rain every night this week, including a tornado that slid just north of town last night, so everything's pretty saturated. supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow, but if it's not too bad we'll get something done anyways.

can't wait for the wet season to wind down. it's been a bitch of a spring.

Yeah, cement and rain don't mix.  Lost a month on a project in February because of the rain.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

It's going down this morning, weather be damned. Poured the bar and working on the restrooms as we speak.

IMG_20190524_090759.thumb.jpg.6c1c2ddd7a51fb8b956a625fc477c27f.jpg

Watch after they leave it starts to downpour 

Mother  nature is funny at times

15 minutes ago, helpme said:

Watch after they leave it starts to downpour 

Mother  nature is funny at times

the forecast says it's supposed to hold off til after 4pm. that means it will probably start in 10 minutes. *looks at radar* yeap, about ten minutes.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

the slab is only 3-4". i don't know the other factors. i did ask this morning if they were concerned about weather, and they were quick to say no. so :shrug:

You should probably ask.  The plans will tell you what the PSI should be, usually 2500 - 3500.  The concrete guy could up it to 4500 or higher at no extra cost if he wants to beat the rain, however, with the faster set time comes the possibilities of finishing issues.  More importantly, you need to ask about an accelerant:  they're not used often (usually only in situations were you have freezes) because improperly used admixes can affect structural strength (something that's more critically important with structural slabs or precast structures) but you can never be too careful about contractors taking shortcuts.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

You should probably ask.  The plans will tell you what the PSI should be, usually 2500 - 3500.  The concrete guy could up it to 4500 or higher at no extra cost if he wants to beat the rain, however, with the faster set time comes the possibilities of finishing issues.  More importantly, you need to ask about an accelerant:  they're not used often (usually only in situations were you have freezes) because improperly used admixes can affect structural strength (something that's more critically important with structural slabs or precast structures) but you can never be too careful about contractors taking shortcuts.

damn, DROPPING that knowledge.

they've already pulled off some of the forms and it looks like they've done a decent amount of finishing as well. i went by a little bit ago but they were at lunch. the rain (and another tornado) missed us to the north by about 30 miles so we're in the clear again until maybe around 6-8pm. 

6 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

damn, DROPPING that knowledge.

they've already pulled off some of the forms and it looks like they've done a decent amount of finishing as well. i went by a little bit ago but they were at lunch. the rain (and another tornado) missed us to the north by about 30 miles so we're in the clear again until maybe around 6-8pm. 

As long as the finish looks good.  Are you going with a flooring or is it going to to be exposed concrete?

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

As long as the finish looks good.  Are you going with a flooring or is it going to to be exposed concrete?

the finish looks real good so far. going smooth in the bar because i want to be able to squeegee it off, plus it will have work mats on it. the bathrooms are going to remain exposed for now, but i'm not opposed to laying something down in there if it needs it.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 1:25 PM, wacky1980 said:

the finish looks real good so far. going smooth in the bar because i want to be able to squeegee it off, plus it will have work mats on it. the bathrooms are going to remain exposed for now, but i'm not opposed to laying something down in there if it needs it.

Stain and seal. Tile grout holds piss smells. You can do amazing things with stain nowadays. 

we're probably going to leave the concrete exposed for now. i expect we'll seal the interior floors, but as far as the entire slab goes, that's a conversation i've yet to have with the contractor. at any rate, the rest of the slab was formed up today and is scheduled to be poured tomorrow, weather permitting. fucking FINALLY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crackymckrackin said:

I would, and have.  If installed correctly it will last as long as tile even in high traffic commercial areas. 

But an integral color would still last longer.  Even when properly installed, stains are prone to wear patterns and they require maintenance.  If you want a more vibrant color, it's worth it because those are difficult to integrate into concrete mixes; if you're looking for a more maintenance free floor, they're not really worth it.

it's raining concrete
from outta the truck
concrete
that grey goopy muck
how much does it cost
we don't give a fuck

IT'S RAINING CONCRETE!

so they're pouring the slab right now. also, my boys really like that raining tacos song. this seemed like a good way to squash that ear bug.

Edited by wacky1980
didn't squash it. shit.
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Do you have a water tower behind your place?

Retired for maybe 20 years, but yeah. The lot it stands on was bought up a few years ago by a local non-profit, restored (exterior), and designated as a local landmark for whatever reason. Personally, I think it's a crushing death just waiting to happen, but I guess it looks kinda cool from 50 yards away. 

This is the whole thing, from outside my office door at the bank.

IMG_20190529_154027.thumb.jpg.de699cbe6f21081e412c7cf2d2d9c77a.jpg

Edited by wacky1980
o hai, there's my truck too.
  • Like 1

all done with them seemint fellers as of this morning. now the focus turns to structures. that contractor is coming in around noon today with some materials, and we're gonna map out the next couple weeks of work. since i'll be on bank vacation for that whole time, we're gonna hit it as hard as we can. we just might get this thing open on time after all...

• Like 2

stage design had to be changed a bit because the concrete wasn't formed up per the dimensions i gave them. it's a minor adjustment really, and i'm almost happier with the changes than i was with the original design. my carpenter is a good dude. he picked up my suggestion to change the design and got right to work on it. he's working on a saturday because he didn't have anything else to do today, according to him. we should be done with the stage deck now on monday. good stuff.

• Like 2

we got the deck *almost* done yesterday. still need to finish the stairs and add the skirt. we also had a lot of the lumber delivered for the rest of the project. i got begged to go back into the bank today because they're super short-handed :| so here i am at my desk, instead of on my 2 week vacation. it kinda works out i guess, because the carpenter was taking a half day off this morning for a doctor visit, and he'll be picking up some hardware we still need for later this week. and i'm adding a day or two to the back end of my vacation. if the rain holds off, we should have all the walls up by the end of this week. we're forecast to get 3" of rain thru the weekend. tropical threat "Invest 91L" is gonna make a mess across the central third of the country this week/end. can't catch a break.

• Like 2

In front of the bar, restrooms to the left.IMG_20190606_161120_01.thumb.jpg.de764e0b4d19ec6f42ebcc43e61951bd.jpg

Entry from the alley. Bar to the left, restrooms to the right.IMG_20190606_162047_01.thumb.jpg.711189314a42824114ea82627d71f8a1.jpg

I never got a picture of the stage so maybe I'll remember to do that tomorrow. We finished the deck Tuesday and then stood up these walls over the last 2 days. Tomorrow we're building truss and hopefully tossing them up on top.

After these last few days, I'm reminded how old and out of shape I am. It's not pretty.

Edited by wacky1980
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

In front of the bar, restrooms to the left.IMG_20190606_161120_01.thumb.jpg.de764e0b4d19ec6f42ebcc43e61951bd.jpg

Entry from the alley. Bar to the left, restrooms to the right.IMG_20190606_162047_01.thumb.jpg.711189314a42824114ea82627d71f8a1.jpg

I never got a picture of the stage so maybe I'll remember to do that tomorrow. We finished the deck Tuesday and then stood up these walls over the last 2 days. Tomorrow we're building truss and hopefully tossing them up on top.

After these last few days, I'm reminded how old and out of shape I am. It's not pretty.

Are you framing?

37 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Are you framing?

personally yes, but under direction of the carpenter. we've been friends for years, and it's just the two of us working on this part. i have enough knowledge to be useful, plus i'm on vacation anyways and he doesn't have anyone else helping him. and i don't have to pay myself for the labor, which is a nice break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

personally yes, but under direction of the carpenter. we've been friends for years, and it's just the two of us working on this part. i have enough knowledge to be useful, plus i'm on vacation anyways and he doesn't have anyone else helping him. and i don't have to pay myself for the labor, which is a nice break.

I like doing framing.  Especially balloon framing.

Edited by scoobdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

nothing much new in the last couple days. put up the header across the north wall and added top plate on friday. also got electrical wired and turned on (finally), which is nice because now we don't have to run ac cords across the alley to the bar every day. built 19 truss (trusses? trussing?) this morning and quit early. depending on weather and mood, we may put up the truss tomorrow. probably gonna wait til monday though. 

we've also been on a slow shopping spree lately. picked up some light fixtures and a POS (going with square for now because i'm lazy in that regard). got 3 new tv's and a small sound system for house entertainment. also nabbed a sweet wall plate with drip tray for the draft setup...quite possibly my favorite purchase of this whole thing so far. i mean, damn that's sexy.

5cfc78ffc0e22_draftplate.thumb.jpg.b7139a3d8413b2fe59602779007c7d9b.jpg

roof trusses are up. we bought the hardware store out of t111 panels, so we didn't get much done with the walls beyond a little bracing. had the sheathing for the roof delivered as well, and it should be going up in the morning. we cut the day short because the plumbers came back to tie into the sewer main, and they're too in-the-way to do much of anything.

took a couple more pics for progress updates. this is kinda confusing without a floor plan handy, but it's where we left off for the day.

IMG_20190610_143946.thumb.jpg.da5890b0e8f0e5dd747fc161736944d7.jpg

and the stage, which has been finished for a week and is now doubling as storage until we get some more work done. this will be sealed and painted before we open, and probably also get some sheathing on the interior walls/ceiling eventually. might wait until we install a house sound / lighting system in the off-season. i'm not 100% on the stair design because it sticks out and kinda ruins the whole "clean face" idea i was working towards, but it's hiding a concrete fail and nothing about this project has turned out 100% how i've envisioned it. close enough, i guess.

IMG_20190610_144007.thumb.jpg.06884ee72a8752522e6068aadcbb7a98.jpg

we're off tomorrow afternoon to the state capital to resubmit our liquor license application in person (the bastardos denied our mail-in app last week because the cert of insurance wasn't valid until 6/22, so we had the agent re-print it with an effective date of 6/10). we should be returning with a live license in-hand, ready to start building inventory. also, we're picking up a frozen cocktail machine i found on ebay while we're in town. over the next couple weeks, we'll be testing recipes in that bad mofo at home. this job definitely has perks.

• Like 2

been kinda busy on the project, but now i'm back off vacation and working at the bank. also, carpenter took a small vaca with his family for the first half of the week, so we haven't done much in the last few days. i grabbed a couple pics yesterday before getting started on electrical last night.IMG_20190619_154832.thumb.jpg.3a9e508168be01a9b6c417f102223377.jpg

IMG_20190619_154823.thumb.jpg.2c309d22496925ff9d847bd30e2737fc.jpg

rest of the wall panels are going up tomorrow, and the tin for the roof should be delivered today and installed tomorrow as well. i'll be (hopefully) finishing electrical over the weekend. plumbing should also be roughed in by the weekend. then next week, we're building the walk-in cooler and going to try pouring a concrete bar top. if all goes well, we should be finishing interior walls as well. then the week after that will be reserved for painting and decoration. anticipated soft opening is 7/5. if we can't hit that mark, we'll push back the opening by another week.

it's getting close now. finally.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, helpme said:

Updates?

shit kinda fell apart last week. weather didn't cooperate, so the carptenter didn't get more than a couple hours of work in. plumber roughed in the bathrooms. i got some electrical done, but not as much as i'd have liked. and i'm taking off for a couple days starting this afternoon, to be a pallbearer in my grandmother's funeral back north (ugh). so i won't be getting shit done til at least wednesday evening.

in the meantime, carpenter is hard at work this week. should have the rest of the wall panels up today. tomorrow he should be adding roof tin and trim. i also purchased all the lighting fixtures, bathroom fixtures, paint, and doors. should be going after those materials thursday, and hitting it hard this weekend. well, the custom garage door that will close down over the bar service area was a special order and won't be in til at least 7/1. but everything else should be ready.

with all the delays of the last and next few days, it looks like we're gonna have a real hard time hitting our target opening of 7/5. probably gonna have to push that back a week. bummer. i'll try to get/post a couple pics this afternoon before i breeze outta town. heading to rural northern illinois, so probably won't have much in the way of reception to make with the pics from up there. 

• Like 2

BUMPDATE

as anticipated, last week was mostly a bust. materials didn't come into the store by time i was there to pick them up last week, so no movement on the cooler. but i did get bathroom fixtures and paint supplies and a few doors. going back into the city tomorrow night to pick up the rest of the stuff. 

got all the wiring pulled and started wiring in boxes and a couple fixtures last night. should get that finished up this evening. carpenter is trimming out some walls and hopefully paneling the restrooms today if he gets that far. then he'll be coming back tomorrow to panel the bar room and possibly ceilings. i'll be building the cooler all day thursday. then the plan for the weekend is to get power dropped into the second building and paint ~everything~. next week, bring the plumber in to install the fixtures, plug everything in, and get final inspections out of the way. then we can soft-open (hopefully) by next weekend.

didn't get any new pics lately, but i will tonight...

• Like 3

spent all day yesterday working on the cooler. insulated between studs with styrofoam, and then added 4" of polyiso in layers on the inside of the stud walls. i have a couple gaps to fill and tape over, and that will be mostly done. it's raining again today. plumbers are in too, so carpenter thought it was better to just clear out and give the plumbers the space to do work. they're supposed to be finishing the rough-in and pressure testing the water lines. judging by their past performance, i doubt they get that much done today.

assuming good weather this weekend (and that's never a safe assumption anymore), i'll be painting my ass off. i have enough product to do about 4,000sqft, and enough wall space to spray on every bit of that. if weather does not allow for painting, then i'll be doing more work on the cooler, installing the draft system and trimming out the shadowbox for the beer taps, and setting up the refrigeration system.

• Like 1

this thread is getting ready to wind on down. plumber may be done as early as tomorrow night, finishing up the manifold, installing the water heater, and hanging fixtures. all the interior walls are paneled, and ceilings are getting done today. i have to finish building out the cooler, which i intend to work on this evening. power is getting finished up in the bar building tonight as well, including wiring in the breaker box and installing a few light fixtures. going to build the bar/back bar tops tomorrow night and get those installed, if everything else before it goes smoothly.

as for outdoor areas, i got almost everything painted yesterday before i burned all the way through 10 gallons. got one more high wall and a fence row to hit and that will be done. still gotta build 7 more picnic tables, but that will probably wait til wed/thu. and we have to build that shed, which will probably take at least a couple hours. then finally, it's time to decorate and bring in all the greenery. and that's it.

we're opening the doors on thursday, whether we're at 100% or not. i think we'll be pretty close.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

this thread is getting ready to wind on down. plumber may be done as early as tomorrow night, finishing up the manifold, installing the water heater, and hanging fixtures. all the interior walls are paneled, and ceilings are getting done today. i have to finish building out the cooler, which i intend to work on this evening. power is getting finished up in the bar building tonight as well, including wiring in the breaker box and installing a few light fixtures. going to build the bar/back bar tops tomorrow night and get those installed, if everything else before it goes smoothly.

as for outdoor areas, i got almost everything painted yesterday before i burned all the way through 10 gallons. got one more high wall and a fence row to hit and that will be done. still gotta build 7 more picnic tables, but that will probably wait til wed/thu. and we have to build that shed, which will probably take at least a couple hours. then finally, it's time to decorate and bring in all the greenery. and that's it.

we're opening the doors on thursday, whether we're at 100% or not. i think we'll be pretty close.

Wind down? We need more progress pics and end results!!