Jump to content
UnevenEdge
Sign in to follow this  
wacky1980

illinois to legalize marijuana in 2020

Recommended Posts

so the governor came out on saturday to announce his new bill to legalize marijuana in illinois. it would go into effect in 2020, and allow up to an ounce per person. the bill would also expunge approx 800k weed-related convictions, and prioritize applicants into the supply chain who are minorities and/or have seen their criminal records expunged. 

full story: https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/pritzker-introduces-bill-marijuana-legalization/

sidenote
curious to see how long it takes to get a dispensary opened up in the apartment above the bar. we'd been kicking around the idea of letting the wife's mother open up a little storefront for her supernatural / witchcraft / alternative medicine stuff. maybe a dispensary would fit right in to that...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol.

Have fun trading in your guns for a joint.

  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow this is awesome

wow that will never happen here in SC

 

LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they need to legalize on the federal level already, jeez... but no.. cant let the minorities get too comfortable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pail said:

Lol.

Have fun trading in your guns for a joint.

1) i don't smoke

2) a person wouldn't need to apply for a card and be put into the system. it would be legal for anyone (even non-residents can have 1/2 oz)

3) shut up scoob

i don't really give a shit one way or the other if it happens. but if it does, i'm gonna get my fingers in that cookie jar as fast as i can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

 

i don't really give a shit one way or the other if it happens. but if it does, i'm gonna get my fingers in that cookie jar as fast as i can.

its REALLY expensive. I saw an interview with a minority dispensary owner and she said it took her a $1 million investment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it could make for some really good adjacency if your plan works out.

Bar, dispensary, and witchcraft stores right there on the same property.

Use your profits to open up a food truck and sit it out front.

Stoners will be throwing money at you.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fuggstop said:

its REALLY expensive. I saw an interview with a minority dispensary owner and she said it took her a $1 million investment

i haven't seen this bill in detail just yet, but i remember the previous version that failed a couple years ago. it was supposedly going to cost $5k/year for the state license to be a retailer. if new applicants are to be prioritized on minority status or expunged drug convictions, i won't be at the front of any lines. unless they also release a limited number of licenses per county or region, in which case i don't see too many people in this area getting out in front of us on it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

i haven't seen this bill in detail just yet, but i remember the previous version that failed a couple years ago. it was supposedly going to cost $5k/year for the state license to be a retailer. if new applicants are to be prioritized on minority status or expunged drug convictions, i won't be at the front of any lines. unless they also release a limited number of licenses per county or region, in which case i don't see too many people in this area getting out in front of us on it. 

find u a mniority as a business partner? oh nooooo neeeeeeevvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 

and they just say that. really doubt that's how itll really go down because white people REALLY look out for white people lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Sounds like it could make for some really good adjacency if your plan works out.

Bar, dispensary, and witchcraft stores right there on the same property.

Use your profits to open up a food truck and sit it out front.

Stoners will be throwing money at you.

we've already resigned ourselves to the fact that we shall peddle all the worst legal sins in this god-fearing town. booze and gambling are already checked off. we're building a venue for the devil's rock music. if we can get a weed retailer's license, that pretty much locks in our status...until prostitution also goes legal. but i think we could probably wrangle that one in too if the opportunity arises.

but i have no desire to run a foodservice anything. let someone have that piece of pie.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

find u a mniority as a business partner? oh nooooo neeeeeeevvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 

and they just say that. really doubt that's how itll really go down because white people REALLY look out for white people lol

i don't trust anyone besides my wife to handle my money. so finding another business partner isn't gonna happen, regardless of demographics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wacky1980 said:

i don't trust anyone besides my wife to handle my money. so finding another business partner isn't gonna happen, regardless of demographics.

Understood. Good luck. I am available as a weed waitress. 

"Welcome, guests. Our specials today are sativa, indica, and bubba kush. Bong, vape or pipe this evening??"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

we've already resigned ourselves to the fact that we shall peddle all the worst legal sins in this god-fearing town. booze and gambling are already checked off. we're building a venue for the devil's rock music. if we can get a weed retailer's license, that pretty much locks in our status...until prostitution also goes legal. but i think we could probably wrangle that one in too if the opportunity arises.

but i have no desire to run a foodservice anything. let someone have that piece of pie.

You know what you need to do next?

Build a theme park.

Get yourself a few water slides, min golf, and go-carts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fuggstop said:

Understood. Good luck. I am available as a weed waitress. 

"Welcome, guests. Our specials today are sativa, indica, and bubba kush. Bong, vape or pipe this evening??"

i could see myself going deep on edibles. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wacky1980 said:

i could see myself going deep on edibles. 

true. people absolutely love edibles. weed candy would really put you over the top, too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SwimModSponges said:

You know what you need to do next?

Build a theme park.

Get yourself a few water slides, min golf, and go-carts.

this is surely the same path as some evil republican with whom i'm not terribly familiar. but i'll allow it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am legit serious about building the theme park, but that's probably just because I've been doing that a lot in video  games recently.

Still- get minigolf at least. There's a place around here with indoor minigolf, they  stuff it all in a fairly small building. 

it's really doable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

i could see myself going deep on edibles. 

Edibles and oil-based items would be strong items alongside your mother-in-law's items. 

Witches love their nibbles and oils. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ga. currently is patting themselves on the back for allowing one more 'ailment' to the incredibly

short list for medical cbd. *all seizure/epilipsy/and possibly stage 4 cancer~not entirely sure*

this is absolutely great news. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's some push-back happening now. the illinois NAACP is against the bill, saying even with the included considerations for minorities, that black people (youth in particular) are more likely to become users and suffer from legal consequences than whites. social organizations are saying that increased tax revenues will not be enough to offset the increased social costs, including to employers having harder time hiring, law enforcement for dui spikes, and medical facilities for marijuana-related hospitalizations. "big marijuana" is just trying to elbow their way into the pockets of the state citizens.

at any rate, the state legislative session ends this month. either we'll have a passed bill, or we won't. but it won't be long until we know for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

there's some push-back happening now. the illinois NAACP is against the bill, saying even with the included considerations for minorities, that black people (youth in particular) are more likely to become users and suffer from legal consequences than whites. social organizations are saying that increased tax revenues will not be enough to offset the increased social costs, including to employers having harder time hiring, law enforcement for dui spikes, and medical facilities for marijuana-related hospitalizations. "big marijuana" is just trying to elbow their way into the pockets of the state citizens.

at any rate, the state legislative session ends this month. either we'll have a passed bill, or we won't. but it won't be long until we know for sure.

Similar thing happened in NY.  In April we were supposed to have a budget passed with legal rec weed but for one reason or another it couldn't go through like that so it was taken off the table.  Maybe in June, wtf knows

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It didn't happen in NY for a lot of the reasons wacky just described.

It's a very complicated issue; Governor Cuomo wanted to shoehorn it into the budget but the Assembly Sponsor wanted to do it stand-alone and didn't think they could work out a final agreement in time for the budget. The Senate Sponsor said there weren't enough votes in the Senate to pass it stand-alone so it falling out of the budget probably killed it until next year unless they work out an agreement and then wrap it into a "big ugly" omnibus bill with other big pieces like rent control or whatever else is still on the table.

I could write a book, but I'm the only one who'd read it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

It didn't happen in NY for a lot of the reasons wacky just described.

It's a very complicated issue; Governor Cuomo wanted to shoehorn it into the budget but the Assembly Sponsor wanted to do it stand-alone and didn't think they could work out a final agreement in time for the budget. The Senate Sponsor said there weren't enough votes in the Senate to pass it stand-alone so it falling out of the budget probably killed it until next year unless they work out an agreement and then wrap it into a "big ugly" omnibus bill with other big pieces like rent control or whatever else is still on the table.

I could write a book, but I'm the only one who'd read it.

Yeah and meanwhile new MMJ dispensaries are hesitant to open because they wanna meet the criteria for a rec dispensary, if it ever is legalized 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's another issue they have to work out an agreement on. On top of how to regulate and tax a recreational market, the criminal justice implications, and including minority economic empowerment, they need to reconcile the state's super strict medical program with a recreational one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another issue is that rec dispensaries have location restrictions mmj dispensaries don't have.  Like, not being able to be withing a certain distance of a church, cuz

heaven forbid we should go from Church to the Weed line, you're only allowed to go from Church to the barxD

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how any of this shit works, like how do rec/mmj dispensaries protect the privacy of their MMJ patients?  Certainly taxes are going to be different as well.  It's fuckin complicated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

heaven forbid we should go from Church to the Weed line, you're only allowed to go from Church to the barxD

not sure about ny, but out here you can't sell alcohol within 100 feet of a place of worship. i actually "advised" a couple city officials on this issue last month because i apparently know their liquor codes better than they do lol. mj would likely be the same, if they ever pass the bill.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

not sure about ny, but out here you can't sell alcohol within 100 feet of a place of worship. i actually "advised" a couple city officials on this issue last month because i apparently know their liquor codes better than they do lol. mj would likely be the same, if they ever pass the bill.

I'm pretty sure around here I've seen bars and churches within close proximity, but maybe it was a Catholic HS? 

Pat would probably know better, he knows all that type of stuff

In any case, I don't understand not being able to be within a certain distance of places of worship.  I'm not sayin they gotta share a building, but c'mon man, gimme a break

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I'm pretty sure around here I've seen bars and churches within close proximity, but maybe it was a Catholic HS? 

Pat would probably know better, he knows all that type of stuff

In any case, I don't understand not being able to be within a certain distance of places of worship.  I'm not sayin they gotta share a building, but c'mon man, gimme a break

it applies to schools as well. it's just a traditional separation of sin from innocence, for lack of a better analogy. it looks like ny has a 200' rule based on distance between property lines. illinois is the same way, but only 100' as a minimum. some places have a limit based on distance between entrances. it's an old law, and i feel like church will be phased out of it over time. but imo it needs to remain in effect for schools.

Edited by wacky1980
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

it applies to schools as well. it's just a traditional separation of sin from innocence, for lack of a better analogy. it looks like ny has a 200' rule based on distance between property lines. illinois is the same way, but only 100' as a minimum. some places have a limit based on distance between entrances. it's an old law, and i feel like church will be phased out of it over time. but imo it needs to remain in effect for schools.

The school thing, ok but still it makes shit difficult when there’s a place of worship on almost every block in some neighborhoods 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Another issue is that rec dispensaries have location restrictions mmj dispensaries don't have.  Like, not being able to be withing a certain distance of a church, cuz

heaven forbid we should go from Church to the Weed line, you're only allowed to go from Church to the barxD

this is the shit right here, why this particular state, at least, in the more rural areas won't see any

rec. any time soon. still a 'dry county', and sales of wine/beer not until after 1230. and those places

are not to be near something like 500ft? iono...but something like that, near a church. 

i was shocked to see the longest 'convienence store' (sp) start doing very mild head shop~esque. under the guise of 

tobacco product, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×