UnevenEdge

Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion (spoilers)

Sawdamizer

56 minutes ago, Opium said:

I agree, but I didn't think they'd fumble so hard here of all places.

They're the guys who wrote Troy.  I've seen their caliber when Martin isn't there to attach training wheels to their bicycles.

1 hour ago, enad said:

Thing is this show isn't made for us anymore.  It's made for people on Twitter who make giffys about how Hillary Clinton is Khaleesi.  

You genuinely seem to hate nearly every thing, Dane. I can understand not enjoying the direction of something you once enjoyed. Shit I stuck around for Walking Dead way after I stopped liking it just to see how they'd mess it up. 

But I don't see the point in staying on the up and up with something you're just gonna perpetually rag on. 

I'm not the biggest fan of GoT but it's fun enough. Sure there were issues with last night's episode but if the show isn't for you, why are you still wasting time  watching it? And you said it yourself, it as been like that for years. Guess I just don't get that. 

5 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

You genuinely seem to hate nearly every thing, Dane. I can understand not enjoying the direction of something you once enjoyed. Shit I stuck around for Walking Dead way after I stopped liking it just to see how they'd mess it up. 

But I don't see the point in staying on the up and up with something you're just gonna perpetually rag on. 

I'm not the biggest fan of GoT but it's fun enough. Sure there were issues with last night's episode but if the show isn't for you, why are you still wasting time  watching it? And you said it yourself, it as been like that for years. Guess I just don't get that. 

This place is full of debby downers, people who do coke at parties to have fun.

1 minute ago, The_Hound said:

This place is full of debby downers, people who do coke at parties to have fun.

Honestly I get not enjoying something. And there's always something you can find fault with in dealing with creative behemoths like this show. God knows how many people worked on this, let alone wrote it or what the budget allowed. It's a creative sandbox but it's only so big when you take it off of a book's pages and bring in cameras. 

10 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

Because there's no point in not finishing it when it's this close to done.  It's like dropping out of high school a month before graduation.  Get it over with since you already put the time in.

That and it's just more fun to shit on than earnestly try to rationalize enjoying this dreck.  If you like it that's fine.  Some of us aren't as easily amused.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, enad said:

Because there's no point in not finishing it when it's this close to done.  It's like dropping out of high school a month before graduation.  Get it over with since you already put the time in.

That and it's just more fun to shit on than earnestly try to rationalize enjoying this dreck.  If you like it that's fine.  Some of us aren't as easily amused.

Sounds like the fallacy of wasting more time on something because of the time you've already invested in it. 

You're not typing like someone that is offering a difference in opinion. You're typing like someone that wants me to feel bad because I wasn't pure foaming at the mouth with rage after the episode ended. Seems like you want me to feel stupid and like I have poor tastes because a TV show I watched didn't offend me. 

Edited by GunStarHero
  • Like 1

Sounds like the fallacy of wasting more time on something because of the time you've already invested in it. 

You're not typing like someone that is offering a difference in opinion. You're typing like someone that wants me to feel bad because I wasn't pure foaming at the mouth with rage after the episode ended. Seems like you want me to feel stupid and like I have poor tastes because a TV show I watched didn't offend me. 

I don't think anyone should feel dumb, save for the writers of Game of Thrones for choosing to end things like this because this is the best they could come up with and/or all the effort they could muster because they're tired of it and want to move on to Star Wars.  However, you're in essence asking me to forget what the show was in it's first 4 years to judge it now in a vacuum, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that it now resembles Harry Potter more than its former self.

Edited by enad

7 minutes ago, enad said:

I don't think anyone should feel dumb, save for the writers of Game of Thrones for choosing to end things like this because this is the best they could come up with and/or all the effort they could muster because they're tired of it and want to move on to Star Wars.  However, you're in essence asking me to forget what the show was in it's first 4 years to judge it now in a vacuum, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that it now resembles Harry Potter more than its former self.

I'm not asking you to forget anything. And if it's truly been bad for 4 years then you've wasted just as much time watching something you don't enjoy. And allegedly only to shit on it. 

But your head seems so far up your pseudo witty ass you can't let someone else enjoy the current iteration of something you once enjoyed.

"Some us aren't as easily amused." Get over yourself and go back to cracking wise about everything ever because nothing seems to live up to your ever rising expectations. 

8 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

I'm not asking you to forget anything. And if it's truly been bad for 4 years then you've wasted just as much time watching something you don't enjoy. And allegedly only to shit on it. 

But your head seems so far up your pseudo witty ass you can't let someone else enjoy the current iteration of something you once enjoyed.

"Some us aren't as easily amused." Get over yourself and go back to cracking wise about everything ever because nothing seems to live up to your ever rising expectations. 

There's nothing pseudo about my wit.  And I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it.  What you seem to have a problem with is that other people don't.  You're allowed to voice your opinions on things you like and I'm allowed to do the same.  I don't wander into photo threads and whine about how gauche your makeup application is.

Edited by enad

9 minutes ago, enad said:

There's nothing pseudo about my wit.  And I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it.  What you seem to have a problem with is that other people don't.  You're allowed to voice your opinions on things you like and I'm allowed to do the same.  I don't wander into photo threads and whine about how gauche your makeup application is.

My god man how pathetic are you? You explicitly said you watch to shit on the show and came into someone else's thread and joined the wave of dissent driving out actual discussion in place of your shitty witty remarks. That's the problem I have with you. 

My god man how pathetic are you? You explicitly said you watch to shit on the show and came into someone else's thread and joined the wave of dissent driving out actual discussion in place of your shitty witty remarks. That's the problem I have with you. 

Yes, I'm so pathetic I'm not the one in eyeliner repeatedly fishing for affirmation on a 2nd hand message board.

And the rest of us were having a discussion about our criticisms of the creative decisions made and how they were inconsistent with the rules of the universe as they had been set up.  You're the one who tumbled in crying because you weren't being sufficiently validated, again.

Edited by enad

38 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

I don't know about Dane but I actually do feel you should feel bad for liking this shit. You're doing yourself an intellectual disservice to enjoy this bullshit when you were given a very well-written, disciplined story in the first seasons. Mustering any degree of critical thought should shred this blockbuster pandering to pieces but instead some of you are eating it up like it's some fucking crowd-pleaser like the Avengers -- which it tragically is now, but wasn't before.

3 minutes ago, enad said:

Yes, I'm so pathetic I'm not the one in eyeliner repeatedly fishing for affirmation on a 2nd hand message board.

And the rest of us were having a discussion about our criticisms of the creative decisions made and how they were inconsistent with the rules of the universe as they had been set up.  You're the one who tumbled in crying because you weren't being sufficiently validated, again.

Nah others were discussing and you kinda were but then you had to pepper in your trademark wit cause you're just so funny. 

Look at your floundering with your two bit character assassination regarding my makeup. OMG A GIRL WEARING EYELINER AND POSTING A SELFIE FROM TIME TO TIME. THE INSTAGRAM THOTS ARE HERE! Is that supposed to rile me up? I thought you were better than at this. 

As for validation, I literally said I had issues with the show/episode too. You are free to have your own opinion and discuss. I'm not stopping that. But I've noticed you fancy picking apart creative media with your signature one liners. And it's been heavy handed in the thread we're in. That's all, Dane.

4 minutes ago, Opium said:

I don't know about Dane but I actually do feel you should feel bad for liking this shit. You're doing yourself an intellectual disservice to enjoy this bullshit when you were given a very well-written, disciplined story in the first seasons. Mustering any degree of critical thought should shred this blockbuster pandering to pieces but instead some of you are eating it up like it's some fucking crowd-pleaser like the Avengers -- which it tragically is now, but wasn't before.

People are allowed to like what they want.  I like plenty of dumb shit too ( 80's Arnie flicks).  But this show was presented as a certain thing in the beginning and now as you say it has become an Avengers noise factory.  And I'm sick of Marvel movies for a reason.

For what it's worth I think the next 3 episodes in King's Landing will be better, if only because zombies are the laziest plot device known to exist and it will become more cloak and dagger intrigue.  At least I hope.

7 minutes ago, Opium said:

Let people enjoy it as much as you don't. As I said, I have issues with this show too. I only even started watching it last year at the behest of my girlfriend. It's ok. I agree it's not where it was but it's ok. 

Nah others were discussing and you kinda were but then you had to pepper in your trademark wit cause you're just so funny. 

Look at your floundering with your two bit character assassination regarding my makeup. OMG A GIRL WEARING EYELINER AND POSTING A SELFIE FROM TIME TO TIME. THE INSTAGRAM THOTS ARE HERE! Is that supposed to rile me up? I thought you were better than at this. 

As for validation, I literally said I had issues with the show/episode too. You are free to have your own opinion and discuss. I'm not stopping that. But I've noticed you fancy picking apart creative media with your signature one liners. And it's been heavy handed in the thread we're in. That's all, Dane.

Better than what?  You leveled a personal attack, which you again did in this thread, I responded in kind by mentioning your perennial compliment fishing.  Nothing was said here or in response that you didn't initiate.  If you're disappointed with how people reply to your taunts then you should cease taunting.

Edited by enad

Just now, enad said:

For what it's worth I think the next 3 episodes in King's Landing will be better, if only because zombies are the laziest plot device known to exist and it will become more cloak and dagger intrigue.  At least I hope.

I can agree with that. The plot armor in this past episode was all too palpable, among other things. I'm sure it will persist in the remaining episodes but hopefully we get some genuine character development or cloak and dagger type shit, as you mentioned, in the latter part of the season. 

Just now, enad said:

Better than what?  You leveled a personal attack, which you again did I  this thread, I responded in kind by mentioning your perennial compliment fishing.  Nothing was said here or in response that you didn't initiate.  If you're disappointed with how people reply to your taunts then you should cease taunting.

No I thought you were better at insulting people. And of course I post pictures for compliments. I don't do it as often as others, but I am absolutely guilty of it all the same. 

Let people enjoy it as much as you don't. As I said, I have issues with this show too. I only even started watching it last year at the behest of my girlfriend. It's ok. I agree it's not where it was but it's ok. 

I'm not stopping anyone from enjoying it. If I am, then that means they're finding reasoning in my argument which challenges their opinion of the show, which means they need to re-evaluate their thoughts.

4 hours ago, Opium said:

I should have guessed that this show would turn into Arya fan fiction and completely pull its punches. They spent 8 years developing the White Walker narrative and don't even let them past Winterfell. Laughable.

I'm good with Arya knifing him, but this would have been preferable as a last episode fight. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

these people?
funny?
not even close

9 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

No I thought you were better at insulting people. And of course I post pictures for compliments. I don't do it as often as others, but I am absolutely guilty of it all the same. 

I'm actually holding my powder a bit in that regard but whatever, we'll let the matter die here.

2 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

I'm good with Arya knifing him, but this would have been preferable as a last episode fight. 

That is why I said Cersi needed to die last season so this season could be a slow build up to the Night King battle where it isn't just a wall of undead crashing mindlessly against the walls but fuck all that shit.

Just now, SorceressPol said:

Dude, please save the Clinton obsession for other shit threads. Dragons or gtfo.

You say "dragons or gtfo" but I just mentioned Hillary.

Forgive me I couldn't help myself.  But with the way this is turning out I have to say I will regret not seeing D&D's Civil War alternate history HBO series.

so anyways, back to not being assholes to each other.

it looks like jon show was actually sacrificing himself so arya could enter the godswood and kill the night king. in the final scene with the big dramatic music, the night king notices something...either on bran's face or elsewhere, but his expression changes. bran already knows what's coming, and maybe the night king is getting wise to it. and then in the very next clip, jon snow musters up the courage to stand up and scream at the dragon...or rather, to arya. he has become aware that she's making her way in (supposedly he sees her before the scene with the night king approaching bran but it's hard to say where or when) so he stands up and screams "GOOOOOOO! GO GO" while drawing the attention of the dragon, to let arya pass by into the godswood (the dragon was defending the entrance). after that, well...the rest is the rest. 

it changes the ending quite dramatically, if you ask me. jon finally becomes useful. he displays another kingly quality in sacrificing himself to serve the greater good. it makes a lot more sense than him just giving up and screaming back at the dragon. and, arya hasn't somehow magically ninja'd her way into the godswood. she got a big assist.

for all the ridiculousness that happened in this episode, this change makes me feel better about how it ended. i'll have to go back and watch for evidence of arya being pinned down somewhere, which would have set this whole thing up with jon.

1 hour ago, wacky1980 said:

so anyways, back to not being assholes to each other.

it looks like jon show was actually sacrificing himself so arya could enter the godswood and kill the night king. in the final scene with the big dramatic music, the night king notices something...either on bran's face or elsewhere, but his expression changes. bran already knows what's coming, and maybe the night king is getting wise to it. and then in the very next clip, jon snow musters up the courage to stand up and scream at the dragon...or rather, to arya. he has become aware that she's making her way in (supposedly he sees her before the scene with the night king approaching bran but it's hard to say where or when) so he stands up and screams "GOOOOOOO! GO GO" while drawing the attention of the dragon, to let arya pass by into the godswood (the dragon was defending the entrance). after that, well...the rest is the rest. 

it changes the ending quite dramatically, if you ask me. jon finally becomes useful. he displays another kingly quality in sacrificing himself to serve the greater good. it makes a lot more sense than him just giving up and screaming back at the dragon. and, arya hasn't somehow magically ninja'd her way into the godswood. she got a big assist.

for all the ridiculousness that happened in this episode, this change makes me feel better about how it ended. i'll have to go back and watch for evidence of arya being pinned down somewhere, which would have set this whole thing up with jon.

That'd be nice but I guarantee you there's no evidence for it and/or the writers didn't intend it.

Just now, Opium said:

That'd be nice but I guarantee you there's no evidence for it and/or the writers didn't intend it.

i watched the scene again and it's all there. the only part i can't confirm is the point when jon supposedly sees arya, but i didn't watch backwards very far so it could be in there somewhere.

1 minute ago, wacky1980 said:

i watched the scene again and it's all there. the only part i can't confirm is the point when jon supposedly sees arya, but i didn't watch backwards very far so it could be in there somewhere.

Not hearing it, man. He also looks directly at the dragon without any indication he's aware of anything except, you know, a giant fucking dragon breathing fire down on him.

it sounds like "go" to me. 

If they mention it next episode then I'll hand it to you. Otherwise, I think this is a case of people trying to wipe away the shit with their imagination.

Just now, Opium said:

If they mention it next episode then I'll hand it to you. Otherwise, I think this is a case of people trying to wipe away the shit with their imagination.

i'm not saying it's definitely intentional, but imo it all fits. i guess next week will either confirm it or not.

Just now, wacky1980 said:

i'm not saying it's definitely intentional, but imo it all fits. i guess next week will either confirm it or not.

It definitely fits, I just don't think the writers have shown any capacity for subtlety or logic to the degree that I can actually believe it. The Crypt, the Dothraki charge at the beginning -- hardly anything makes any practical sense.

3 minutes ago, Opium said:

It definitely fits, I just don't think the writers have shown any capacity for subtlety or logic to the degree that I can actually believe it. The Crypt, the Dothraki charge at the beginning -- hardly anything makes any practical sense.

The catapults being in front of the infantry, the infantry being in front of the trench, there being only one trench, the trench being 5 feet from the walls, the walls not being manned, not firing arrows into the horde, the lack of internal defensive lines.

5 minutes ago, Opium said:

what about the crypt is throwing you? i mean, yeah it's supposedly a major oversight by the characters to put the weakest people in a giant tomb full of potential wights. but i also feel like they ran a greatER risk of death, being on the surface if/when the horde makes it into winterfell. if the plan to take out the night king works in the end, the crypt would indeed remain the safest place. if the plan doesn't work, then everyone dies anyways so at least the non-fighters aren't in the way.

i feel like the best option would have been to just get those people out of winterfell altogether. but that does nothing for the story.

4 minutes ago, stilgar said:

The catapults being in front of the infantry, the infantry being in front of the trench, there being only one trench, the trench being 5 feet from the walls, the walls not being manned, not firing arrows into the horde, the lack of internal defensive lines.

it's also a "make do with what we have" situation. and it's also a tv show.

i dunno. there were flops for sure.

what about the crypt is throwing you? i mean, yeah it's supposedly a major oversight by the characters to put the weakest people in a giant tomb full of potential wights. but i also feel like they ran a greatER risk of death, being on the surface if/when the horde makes it into winterfell. if the plan to take out the night king works in the end, the crypt would indeed remain the safest place. if the plan doesn't work, then everyone dies anyways so at least the non-fighters aren't in the way.

i feel like the best option would have been to just get those people out of winterfell altogether. but that does nothing for the story.

Correct, getting them as south as possible is the only logical response... which would have done a lot for the story had the Night King been able to make it past Winterfell like he should have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Opium said:

Correct, getting them as south as possible is the only logical response... which would have done a lot for the story had the Night King been able to make it past Winterfell like he should have.

the writers' intention has been that the night king dies in winterfell for the last 4 years. so moving anyone out of winterfell makes no sense in that context.

the writers' intention has been that the night king dies in winterfell for the last 4 years. so moving anyone out of winterfell makes no sense in that context.

That has nothing to do with what the characters should be thinking. In fact, that's probably the problem; they got so caught up in external plotting that they forgot that their characters are supposed to be clueless as to their fates. And the fact that they planned this for four years should really shut down any hype for the remaining three episodes. We're dealing with frauds who found it more pertinent to have a zombie polar bear in the show than an appropriate sendoff to the biggest threat in the series.