UnevenEdge

Opinion on ads?

K_N

Been thinking about adding a single banner ad to the site so we don't have to rely so much on donations. How do you guys feel about it?

I feel like most of you already use ad blockers so it'd only matter for the randos we get anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, K_N said:

Been thinking about adding a single banner ad to the site so we don't have to rely so much on donations. How do you guys feel about it?

I feel like most of you already use ad blockers so it'd only matter for the randos we get anyways.

I'm in that camp. Do ads work on just traffic, or do they only pay if someone clicks it? I have no idea how these things work.

1 minute ago, Skiles said:

I'm in that camp. Do ads work on just traffic, or do they only pay if someone clicks it? I have no idea how these things work.

It depends on the type of ad, some are pay per impression, some are pay per click and some are only pay if the user clicks and buys something/signs up. In order of low to high from the value we'd get from each.

Just now, K_N said:

It depends on the type of ad, some are pay per impression, some are pay per click and some are only pay if the user clicks and buys something/signs up. In order of low to high from the value we'd get from each.

I would be willing to disable ad block on this site. And if the ad is interesting, I might even click it. Why not, right?

• Like 3

Basic thoughts based on the 'what not to do' stuff I've seen elsewhere.

Single ad, non-invasive / non-hyper, static if possible that would only change with page refreshes instead of bunny-hugging the shit out of bandwidth and refusing to allow any of the site to physically load until it loads.

If places stuck to that, they'd be able to request their users to whitelist the place for the passive eyes without ruining the site experience and have a small but steady income on it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Single ad, non-invasive / non-hyper, static if possible that would only change with page refreshes instead of bunny-hugging the shit out of bandwidth and refusing to allow any of the site to physically load until it loads.

If places stuck to that, they'd be able to request their users to whitelist the place for the passive eyes without ruining the site experience and have a small but steady income on it. 

This. 

6 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I don't mind pausing adblock for sites like this as long as I don't get bombarded with pop ups etc..  I think some size/resolution adjustments could be made still I paused adblock and it looked like the folder tabs got a bit stretched out or something.

image.png

this is the only thing that should have changed, layout-wise

21 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Kind of pushes everything to the right of my screen though. @midnight said he might be experiencing the same problem since his laptop screen is small. At any rate it looks fine with adblock on, and it might not even be an issue on mobile/ bigger better sized/ resolution monitors.

Yeah it pushes everything to the right for me. But disco’s laptop is a lot bigger than mine and her’s is doing it as well. I’ll have to look into the ad blocker.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, katt_goddess said:

Not that I come here that often, but basically this.