UnevenEdge

Netflix has apparently greenlit the live action One Piece and I just miss The Punisher

Jman

On 3/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jman said:

if they do the casting based on that SBS round where Oda confirmed the straw hat's races we at least know what the casting call will be looking for

Luffy = Latino

Usopp = "African" (so black)

Zoro = Japanese

Nami  = swedish (aka White)

Robin = Russian (white)

Sanji = French (white)

Franky = American (white)

if I had to guess Brook and Chopper would be CG

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In a fun example of how crazy Twitter can get, a fake rumor made the rounds of black actress Letitia Wright playing Nami.  Everyone lost their shit till it was proven false and people still are cursing her out.

When the cast gets announced this will be such a shitshow...

Edited by Jman

2 hours ago, elfie said:

That is what I just mentioned.

Yeah but visual aids always help.

Let’s be blunt for a second.  Nami gets a ton of fan art because she’s a pretty redhead with ginormous tits (and the fact she‘s one of the more moderate designs in One Piece speaks volumes) and well, her interactions with the crew run the gambit from hilarious to adorable.  To cast her with Letitia Wright would have everyone saying the meanest thing they could without sounding racist because she would be beyond miscast.

Edited by Jman

On 10/18/2019 at 1:47 PM, Jman said:

In a fun example of how crazy Twitter can get, a fake rumor made the rounds of black actress Letitia Wright playing Nami.  Everyone lost their shit till it was proven false and people still are cursing her out.

When the cast gets announced this will be such a shitshow...

Shit like this is why most anime fans I talk to are female.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Yeah but visual aids always help.

Let’s be blunt for a second.  Nami gets a ton of fan art because she’s a pretty redhead with ginormous tits (and the fact she‘s one of the more moderate designs in One Piece speaks volumes) and well, her interactions with the crew run the gambit from hilarious to adorable.  To cast her with Letitia Wright would have everyone saying the meanest thing they could without sounding racist because she would be beyond miscast.

are you implying they wouldn't just abandon all pretense and just be racist about it?

6 minutes ago, mochi said:

are you implying they wouldn't just abandon all pretense and just be racist about it?

Considering half the replies I saw to the rumor were essentially “I don’t want to be racist but...” they would use the bare minimum tact.  Like if you were grading tact they would pass with a D-.

Edited by Jman

3 hours ago, Jman said:

Considering half the replies I saw to the rumor were essentially “I don’t want to be racist but...” they would use the bare minimum tact.  Like if you were grading tact they would pass with a D-.

"I don't want to be racist but" is essentially shouting from a rooftop that "I'm a massive racist."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • D'oh 1

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I don't really care that much about casting for live-action anime, so of course I'd have nothing to say if there were either rumors or actual news of a black Nami being cast.

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

"I don't want to be racist but" is essentially shouting from a rooftop that "I'm a massive racist."

I don't want to be racist but I absolutely detest when longstanding white characters are portrayed by black actors in cases where it's quite literally just them pushing for diversity.

• D'oh 1

And he’ll be banned within the day. 

With Bebop’s production on hold after John Cho’s unfortunate injury, odds are 50/50 whether this stays on further hold, or they work on this in the interim including casting it.

Also, Bebop had enough trouble casting Ed (they still haven’t revealed who’s playing her).  Casting Luffy is going to be a complete nightmare.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

I've never wanted to see a project fail harder.

Come on, you don’t want to see people discuss One Piece at work like The Witcher?  

Also that article claims we should know the cast around June.  We should have known earlier but COVID-19.  They used the time to do more pre-production and set construction.

Edited by Jman