UnevenEdge

I'm starting to think I don't like Square

That_One_Guy

My first ever square game was ff8. It was actually my first jrpg. I loved it because it was something new. Then I played 7. Like everyone else, it's my all time favorite ff. Well then I played 9 and it was utter trash. Cookie cutter plot and way too much fucking dialogue. Seriously the amount of dialogue and cutscenes in that game is asinine. Now I'm playing 10 and although it's better than 9 it still suffers from a lot of the same problems. Strange thing is I liked 15 only after I beat the main story. I noticed some square games just have ridiculous plots. Either the plots are way too complex or I'm just very simple. Idk but either way I'm starting to think square games just aren't for me. Any of you fuckers have something to add? 

• Like 1

For me, it was XII when I noticed that their games just didn't have the same sense of wonderment as they used to. X was already on thin ice because it was very corny, but XII's story was just a bland Star Wars rehash. Not a bad game, but boring and inoffensive. 

Then XIII came along and had two games of suckage along with it. I'd already moved onto Shin Megami Tensei and Persona since those did a great job at filling the void left behind by Square Enix's decline, but after XIII, I have no faith that they'll ever come around to making a good Final Fantasy again. Haven't played XV, but I don't have much interest in getting it unless it's bargain bin priced because of the sour taste the XIII sequels left behind.

I would agree that VII and VIII are personal favorites and VI has been a great experience. Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 were great, but I refuse to play any of the spin-offs that were made to pad things out and make the story even more of a clusterfuck. Their non-FF games have been great like the Nier games, Octopath Traveler, and The World Ends with You, but Square has a nasty habit of taking a colossal dump on anything that isn't FF, so they just push crappy FF games on us while stifling any momentum that their non-FF games/spinoffs build.

And with how long the VII remake has been in development hell, I doubt that Square will be able to create anything from it that is transformative or exciting like with Resident Evil 2 or Pokemon Let's Go. And Square was so stingy with their properties for Smash Ultimate that it's gotten very easy to not care about the remake when Square has done a wonderful job dissuading people from being invested in what FF as a whole means. I guess that means I'll have to get Dissidia NT by the time that reaches $5 in a year.

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, That_One_Guy said:

I gotta know, what did you like about 9?

They drop all the ridiculous convoluted shit and go back to the simple narrative of a party and a crystal, but twist it halfway into a pretty dark story of genocide and purpose. ViVi’s storyline is particularly brutal. And Zidane isn’t an annoying emo protagonist.

But besides that, the art direction is like if Aesop’s Fables fucked an anime

13 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

If you dig 8 and 7, you got to go to the big three of the SNES: Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger.

(Final Fantasy V is also highly recommended).

I dunno, IX is actually the PS1 FF most like the SNES ones.