UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

2 hours ago, mochi said:

I've been getting mixed signals from people about Sheild Hero, what exactly happened?

edit: looked it up, yep, it's bad

Did you find out about the gang rape snuff film? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Capitalism my friend.  It’s no different from Fox bringing back Last Man Standing.

Honestly, the whole thing feels like Crunchyroll trying to tell people they won’t be stereotypically “woke” after the complete disaster that was the unveiling of High Guardian Spice.

Yeah... no ethical consumption and all that. I get it, although I am the kind of person who makes clear what I believe in, so it was at least nice to give them a slap on the wrist for that. But it does suck that you can't support the biggest purveyor of anime in North America without giving money to productions like this.

And CR is so proud of this that it hurts. Regarding High Guardian Spice, it makes me wonder if they were even serious about making that show to begin with. Maybe someone who works for them took a closer look at Shield Hero, got horrified at what it represented, and then quickly commissioned the most generic Steven Universe-like bean mouth American show possible to preemptively satiate the libs? Either way, it doesn't seem like they stand for anything now.

19 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Reveal hidden contents

Did you find out about the gang rape snuff film? :ph34r:

Yeah... no ethical consumption and all that. I get it, although I am the kind of person who makes clear what I believe in, so it was at least nice to give them a slap on the wrist for that. But it does suck that you can't support the biggest purveyor of anime in North America without giving money to productions like this.

And CR is so proud of this that it hurts. Regarding High Guardian Spice, it makes me wonder if they were even serious about making that show to begin with. Maybe someone who works for them took a closer look at Shield Hero, got horrified at what it represented, and then quickly commissioned the most generic Steven Universe-like bean mouth American show possible to preemptively satiate the libs? Either way, it doesn't seem like they stand for anything now.

I don't even think High Guardian Spice exists, more or less all info about it ceased after the animegate movement said it was "feminazi trash"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mochi said:

I don't even think High Guardian Spice exists, more or less all info about it ceased after the animegate movement said it was "feminazi trash"

Funny enough, I heard we should be getting more information on it next month.

I know Crunchyroll has stepped up its original productions (say it with me everyone, adapt Cannon God Exaxxion).  Whether this was a pilot they pulled in response to a hurricane of bad publicity or it's just their way to go "Look how progressive we are!" while airing Shield Hero and its ilk is unknown to me.

5 hours ago, Jman said:

The fact that they pivoted so hard into Shield Hero is kind of hilarious.  I haven’t seen the show, but I cannot help but have a sadistic admiration for that level of shamelessness.

I do not understand the controversy of Shield Hero.  It looks totally innocent to me.

Not a whole lot of updates since this morning.  All I found out is that the girl who got her rent home broken into left FB, or at least closed her account temporarily.  So yeah, even though this happened days after Pensacon went awol and announced they would call police during the con, this only puts this into clearer perspective. Vic supporters have put this violence into reality, and it's even more believable to me that people CAN get killed over a cartoon actor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

I do not understand the controversy of Shield Hero.  It looks totally innocent to me.

as mentioned it's apparently because the first episode sent up some red flags that made it seem like the series was Soapboxing MRA "the feminists are taking over" rhetoric

according to it's fans however that isn't the case

22 minutes ago, mochi said:

as mentioned it's apparently because the first episode sent up some red flags that made it seem like the series was Soapboxing MRA "the feminists are taking over" rhetoric

No I heard about that, but i just .... why are people making a big deal out of it? Is it because rape = bad?  It's a fictional anime.

3 minutes ago, elfie said:

No I heard about that, but i just .... why are people making a big deal out of it? Is it because rape = bad?  It's a fictional anime.

Apparently a lot of people can't stand to live in a world where there's a fictional story about a guy falsely accused of rape.

18 minutes ago, Daos said:

Apparently a lot of people can't stand to live in a world where there's a fictional story about a guy falsely accused of rape.

Point taken, but it actually gets a lot worse than that. Look under the spoiler of my reply to mochi for one of the most explicit examples.

2 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Point taken, but it actually gets a lot worse than that. Look under the spoiler of my reply to mochi for one of the most explicit examples.

wait when you said that I thought it was just something that happened in Shield Hero DID THAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN?!

20 minutes ago, elfie said:

... wait I DO have fresh news.

.... the home-swatting story is apparently FALSE!

I don't 100% know if I believe that since it's posted by an anti-sjw channel....but considering the Jussie Smollett thing it wouldn't shock me

4 hours ago, mochi said:

wait when you said that I thought it was just something that happened in Shield Hero DID THAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN?!

Yuppers.

Spoiler

It happens to the girl who originally made the false rape accusation against the hero. She's sold into slavery, gets sent to some guro-sex fanatic, and becomes his "10,000th victim". And then the Shield Hero gets to watch a video of the film (which also has other victims raped and killed), after which he felt the bitch deserved it. In fact, she even had her real name forcibly legally changed to "Bitch" earlier on.

Are you feeling it now, Mr. Krabs?

10 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Yuppers.

Reveal hidden contents

It happens to the girl who originally made the false rape accusation against the hero. She's sold into slavery, gets sent to some guro-sex fanatic, and becomes his "10,000th victim". And then the Shield Hero gets to watch a video of the film (which also has other victims raped and killed), after which he felt the bitch deserved it. In fact, she even had her real name forcibly legally changed to "Bitch" earlier on.

I like that the laundry lists of crimes she did was conveniently left out, not saying that she deserved what befell her. Just that leaving them out paints the shield hero a certain way and her another way. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, mochi said:

I just watched the first 5 episodes. It's not the case. Like at all.

6 hours ago, Blatch said:

Yuppers.

Hide contents

Spoiler

She doesn't get raped. The Queen let's the MC decide her punishment and he wants her to be executed, but he changes his mind. She does get her name legally changed to Bitch though. Which is fitting all things considered.

And screw you people for getting me to watch and research anime/manga.

Edited by Greeny

7 minutes ago, elfie said:

Fuck so the Vic supporters can't be believed, the people ACCUSING him can't be believed, *I* can't be believed! Is there anyone else I can't believe that I should know about!?!?

OldBrownAcouchi-mobile.jpg

Do what I do and stay on the fence until all the information and/or proof is out there. 

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

Yeah... one of the people who helped spread the swatting rumor deleted their tweet, and they said the person who started it isn't mentally well.

I normally detest the "LOL both sides" argument, but neither of 'em are looking good here. Even a broken South Park-themed clock is right sometimes.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

Well, apparently the person in a FB (?) chat who was supposedly trying to get people to photoshop fake evidence against him turned out to be a false flag by someone who'd either hijacked the person's account or spoofed it, it's not clear which. 

The photo evidence of the alleged swatting was apparently recycled from a previous swatting (??!) from 2016 where she said the police broke down her door.  I suppose that could be faked too, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to tell.  Even if it were proven to be faked and her story was proved true, it wouldn't matter, now that they've gotten the fake version circulating.

So maybe score one fake for each side?  I dunno.  I do know what I see in those con pictures and believe they felt how they said they felt, having been on the receiving end of shit like that myself.  I just wish the dudebros who couldn't care less about Vic but saw an opportunity to go back into full gamergate bitches-be-lyin' mode hadn't gotten involved.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Yeah... one of the people who helped spread the swatting rumor deleted their tweet, and they said the person who started it isn't mentally well.

I normally detest the "LOL both sides" argument, but neither of 'em are looking good here. Even a broken South Park-themed clock is right sometimes.

Toldja going neutral wasn't a bad idea. ;)

• D'oh 1

Now i09 is into it.

This should be evident by now, but it seems like Vic Mignogna in the decades he has been engaging with women never seemed to think those actions were harassment, or that he misunderstands what counts as consentual, and that is very alarming. Why else would so many people confirm that yes he harassed them, while Vic says he never forced himself on anyone?  Are these comments just not reaching him like they're from another plane of existence or some virtual world? 

"Hugging fans is a common activity for voice actors".  ... I highly doubt actors would stay clean and free of germs with that much contact in a convention hall. Aren't we told to keep cleaning our hands, and taking at least one shower the day before going?? 

"Specht, Mignogna’s ex-fiancée, also released a statement to io9. In her statement, she said she was not aware that he was pursuing other women during their relationship, and that she supports the people coming forward with their stories about Mignogna’s behavior".  .... ouch.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

At this point, I'm not sure which side to believe.

Exactly. When people take to social media, instead of the authorities (as they should), this is what happens. No matter how this shakes out people are going to believe who, and what, they choose to believe. Twitter is no place to hold judicial proceedings.

17 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Are you really going to trust anything posted by some random YouTube asshole at this point?

That's just as credible as anything posted by some asshole voice actress. What makes Rial more believable than Vic, at this point? Where's the evidence?

• Thanks 1
  • D'oh 5

You've had dozens of women come forward with increasingly-disturbing stories about Vic. There are countless pictures of him getting handsy with con attendees, and far more stories from con staff about what an irredeemable asshole he is in private. There's a clear pattern of behavior that goes back decades. This is your evidence.

Tell me, straight up: what do dozens of women have to gain by all making up the same story? What does a respected industry veteran have to gain? Thousands of posts' worth of vile social media harassment directed against her? You're probably the sort of person who sat on their hands and equivocated while dozens of women assaulted by Bill Cosby came out with their stories. Give me a goddamn break.

And for the twentieth fucking time, Vic's behavior does not need to be legally actionable (nor could be in many cases due to statutes of limitations) for him to be called out on his bullshit and for companies to stop associating with him. Quit watching Law and Order reruns and thinking you have any idea how this all works.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, elfie said:

... why are all the videos I'm seeing about this from Vic supporters?  Where are the ones who stand with Vic? ... did he steal their editing software?!

because his Supporters are more rabid and crazy than his accusers and think if they scream louder it makes their side seem more valid

• Like 2

Just now, elfie said:

... why are all the videos I'm seeing about this from Vic supporters?  Where are the ones who stand with Vic? ... did he steal their editing software?!

Well as it turns out about 90 percent of the anime community seems to be rabidly anti SJW and won't listen to reason on this one.

Their latest target is.... GOKU

Tip: If it's a Youtube video by some anime dudebro, it's probably bullshit.

Let's just take a minute and think about everything that would have to happen if Vic is innocent:

1. Monica Rial decides that she wants to take all of Vic's non-voice production work at FUNi for herself, but she's not in any real hurry to make that happen. Oh no, she's planning a long con.

2. Monica blows the Horn of SJWs™️ and all over the country, women come crawling out of the shadows to begin seeding the internet with stories about Vic's inappropriate behavior. Individually they don't sound like much, but combined they form an entire Power Rangers Mega Zord of a pattern of him being a fucking creep. (Sidenote, I know the hugging thing keeps coming up but I'd have to argue that the whole "repeatedly kissing underage fans without permission" issue is a much bigger problem. Seriously, how many times do people need to tell a goddamn middle aged man to keep his mouth off of teenage girls before that message finally sinks in?)

3. This goes on in the background for a solid 15 years or so, even after he moves halfway across the country and basically stops doing anything more than occasional vocal work at FUNi. Finally, she's ready to spring her trap.

4. Monica blows the Horn of SJW™️ again, louder this time, and dozens of women pour out of the woodwork with more and worse stories about McNuggets. Some of them even have photo and/or video evidence, but of course every last piece of that must be painstakingly edited just to make him look bad.

5. Not satisfied with the damage, Monica manages to convince damn near every industry professional who's worked with Vic to invent their own horror stories about him. Nevermind the fact that it's guaranteed career suicide if they're lying about it, and there'd be some kind of record of most of the complaints they've made to cons and studios about his conduct; if they hadn't reported his behavior like they say they did, it'd be easy to refute the claims and punish them for lying. And for what payoff? It's not like Monica would have that much power to promise everyone starring roles and higher paychecks, even after he plan succeeds. All these people only get spammed with online harassment by dipshits who refuse to believe a guy who looks like Joey from Full House's sadder, less popular brother could possibly be a creep.

6. Monica and her cabal of evil witch feminists plants enough fake evidence to fool an extensive investigation at FUNimation and the studio decides to cut ties with him, washing their hands of a popular employee whose work has probably made millions of dollars for them. Congratulations, she finally gets Vic's job, which is basically nothing at this point because again, he moved out of state goddamn years ago and wasn't doing much at the company besides occasional recording roles. And all it cost was obscene amounts of harassment and death threats to herself, her family, her friends and coworkers, and basically everyone else with the gall to point out this one dude's gross behavior, by a bunch of lunatics who'd probably feel a lot better if they just took a fucking shower and went outside for ten minutes.

• Like 7

1.  ... why is everyone saying that ONLY about Monica.  Do they realize a job is handed to whoever is best fit for it, be it her, Jamie Marchi, Sean Schemmel, or any other of the many many people involved with Funimation!?  ... let alone in 2018 Vic had BARELY worked for Funimation except for the 2% of his career at that point, counting Broly!?  good, do his supporters even THINK!?

2. Agreed that we have no actual proof that MacDingleDung is guilty or innocent yet.  Why doesn't everyone just wait for an actual verdict!? but nope! Gotta have answers NOW, and stay impatient!!!

3. People keep secrets and are very good at it. McDerpaderp had such a strong presence in the industry with a ton of admiration, anyone who dare say anything bad about him could have their reputation ruined or worse, and before now people never wanted to risk it.

4. I don't have much to say on this point, I just don't believe it for a second.

5. ... "made up"?? What would they gain for "making up stories" about him!?  How would one person be able to do that who isn't Vic in this industry?!  How come everything has to be villains fighting villains?

6. Again, where the hell did anyone get that she wants Vic's job? Where in all the years they been working at Funimation did we ever have evidence that Monica is his rival?

1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I think the job she supposedly stole was at Rooster Teeth, on the production side.  I dunno.

Okay that makes even less sense; the claims against McNuggets started years before his work with Rooster Teeth. It's like his fans think if they make up enough conspiracy theories, they can force their excuses to make sense.

This isn't just a failure to be decent human beings, it's a total lack of goddamn basic logic.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Okay that makes even less sense; the claims against McNuggets started years before his work with Rooster Teeth. It's like his fans think if they make up enough conspiracy theories, they can force their excuses to make sense.

This isn't just a failure to be decent human beings, it's a total lack of goddamn basic logic.

You forget we're in an era where half the country believes climate change doesn't exist, and a portion of that still thinks the world is flat.

• Like 1

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-02-20/police-report-dub-voice-actress-door-damaged-classified-criminal-mischief/.143617

I still have some questions, but this is the latest. Not that it will matter.

He's also openly lawyered up now, but having his fans pay for it?  That's just crass.  I take back what I said earlier about him not ending up panhandling.  And people think he doesn't have boundary issues?? 

Of course, he's kept that thin layer of deniability in place (Hey, somebody asked, and I just said ok, but it's nothing to do with me, no siree!).  Especially weird since lawyers usually work on contingency for stuff like this, unless all he's asking for is "how do I stay out of jail?" advice.

He basically admitted all the allegations were true, except for, "Yeah, sure I was trying to cheat on my fiancée, but golly gee, it was absolutely consensual.  I'm sure of it, even though it's impossible for me to discern other people's boundaries."

• Like 3