UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

Looks like he's been creeping on high school girls for 30 years.  You can practically feel her disgust rolling off the page.

Lol, his resume says he was a cop in MD.  Looks like all he did was make training videos and such A/V work for them, though he says he "performed the duties of a police officer."  My ass.

Anyway, even if his anime career's over, he's got plenty of fall back lines of work, like audiobooks, commercials, training videos, and crap like that.  He's not going to end up panhandling over this.

Then again, if Louie CK is any indication, he'll be back in the booth in a year or less.

• Like 5

If there's a sequel to A Howl at the Moon, I doubt the author would think twice about getting a name as big as Vic back for the audiobook. In a way, it does show personal growth that he went from trying his damnedest to prove that Fai was straight to narrating M/M werewolf fiction on Audible. If only that same growth applied to whether he thought it'd look OK for him to pull his young fans in for a kiss though.

It's possible that Vic can come back from this since much of the controversy stems from his behavior at cons and his lack of personal space. Once he's taken an extended break from public appearances or at least acknowledged that he'd mellow down at conventions, I can see him re-emerging in voice work, possibly even in anime productions outside of Funi. He might have a scarlet letter attached to him, but it's something that he could bounce back from if he made amends with the fans or actors that he's made uncomfortable or upset.

But that would take alot of self-reflection that I'm not sure Vic has the capacity to do just yet. Not while he's still got an echo chamber through the Risembool Rangers. Not when you have people fighting tooth and nail to validate his actions by labeling the controversy behind him as an SJW witchhunt.

• Like 6

I don't think his anime career is over by far. Once he's done with his counseling and recovery, Sentai will probably come calling. And he might have made this declaration in enough time to save his ironically creepy-ass role in JoJo Part 4...

In other news, damn, didn't know he worked as a cop...uhh, behind the scenes...

Edited by OwlChemist81

12 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Looks like he's been creeping on high school girls for 30 years.  You can practically feel her disgust rolling off the page.

I haven't really super paid attention to this whole deal, but this story is basically kinda the impression I've gotten of it all. It sounds pretty explicitly like predatory behavior, to target girls in situations where he can feel confident that they wouldn't be in the right frame of mind to report anything. Younger, inexperienced, with himself in a seemingly untouchable position. I can just imagine countless con goers feeling much the same, feeling grossed out and/or ashamed for allowing him to act that way with him.

• Like 2

If dude's been pulling this business for the last thirty years somebody knows something for certain, and has evidence. If no one comes forward with it, or it never surfaces, it'll be "he said she said" from here on out.

23 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I thought pulling a Spacey was trying to hide behind your sexuality by throwing everyone else under the bus so the straighties feel sorry for you.

I mean he did that too but when the Gay community appropriately responded by metaphorically chopping the man's nuts off he went into isolation

2 hours ago, elfie said:

.... Didn't he say he was going to seek legal action!? What happened to that!?

I think that statement is what happened to that.  That's got "lawyered up" written all over it.  No admission of guilt or that he was aware he was in the wrong, and no real apology.  "It's impossible for me to discern other people's boundaries."  Bullshit.  Ask them, doofus.  And maybe draw some boundaries of your own as to what's appropriate.

@ RPD: I think someone already said this, but it's not "he said, she said," it's "he said, she and she and he and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and he and she and he and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she said."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

I read some more tweets and have some opinion on it.  The reason I love Jamie's work at Funimation for both acting and writing is that she's got a biting and sharp sense of humor, which is great for fictional characters in wacky anime land, but not in real life.  The sad thing is, I realized over time that Jamie is JUST like that in real life too. This GhostShell (whose twitter by the way only started in january 2019 which is oddly suspect) sounds like he's overreacting, because his tweets use all the typical cliche terms usually said toward an allegation, and I'm on the assumption that if Jamie DID assault him(her?), it could've been a misunderstanding.  But Jamie is still not at fault here.  She's by nature loudly outspoken toward womens' rights and seeking a just government, and this is the first time I actually thought she went too far posting about how she wants to have Vic's balls even if it was out of frustration, which she admitted.  That's right.  I think she never should have made that tweet in the first place, and that she should delete it immediately, if it weren't for the fact that she is saying multiple times, TODAY, that she WILL NEVER delete it!

Not counting all the times in anime where almost-rape happens all the time!

If we as country won't stop being pussies and can't act like professionals, then entertainment in America is extinct.

Edited by elfie

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Jamie Marchi has a tendency to crack me the hell up so I would LOVE to see the tweets.

Technically she said "I want his balls." in the most deadly serious tone Twitter would allow, but after thinking of the "shut up before I rip out your esophagus and feed it to you" line from the YGO Other Abridged Movie while thinking up a way to describe her lack of chill, I couldn't resist wording it that way. :D

56 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Technically she said "I want his balls." in the most deadly serious tone Twitter would allow, but after thinking of the "shut up before I rip out your esophagus and feed it to you" line from the YGO Other Abridged Movie while thinking up a way to describe her lack of chill, I couldn't resist wording it that way. :D

I did read that tweet (and about a hundred more) an hour ago. 

She has since deleted it.

Adding another VA who can mimmick Vic, Sean Schemmel

also........HE WAS TRYING TO FUCKING WARN US ABOUT VIC WHEN HE MADE THIS FUCKING VIDEO!!!!!

also Sonny Strait saw my krillin Valentine's picture and I might become the new daily dose guy because of it

Edited by mochi
  • Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

Lol, his resume says he was a cop in MD.  Looks like all he did was make training videos and such A/V work for them, though he says he "performed the duties of a police officer."  My ass.

Anyway, even if his anime career's over, he's got plenty of fall back lines of work, like audiobooks, commercials, training videos, and crap like that.  He's not going to end up panhandling over this.

Then again, if Louie CK is any indication, he'll be back in the booth in a year or less.

Yup, Vic has been up to this for at least 30 years, way before he was a "famous" voice actor.  More info on that at the bottom of this article.

I'm laughing my ass off that apparently Vic just did work on training videos and counts that as working as a cop, but glad he wasn't able to use his position and authority as a police officer to abuse more people.  Can you imagine an egomaniac like him with a badge?

What happened to Jamie Marchi is really henious too.  Since she said what happened to her wasn't as bad as what happened to others, I shudder to think of what else Vic could have done that's much worse than this.  There's surely more, possibly much worse, accounts that we haven't heard.

Yay that Vic has been fully fired from Funimation!  You know, something that I've noticed, is that Vic has been used very sparingly in dubs the past few years, mainly returning for old roles, and barely getting any new ones, much less big ones.  I wonder if this was done intentionally by the studios, them wanting to deal with Vic as little as possible at this point.

Eh, I don't think Vic will have much work with any entity that does their research, unless they are some #IstandwithVic idiots.  Don't worry, a Christian... furry... company is steadfastly standing by Vic?

So, it turns out that people are planning, or at least claiming they're going to, harass Monica Rial and other Funimation employees at upcoming convention appearances.  They may think there is no "proof" of anything Vic has done, but there sure as hell is of what they've done!  Permanent online record.  It's like people think the internet is a videogame with no repercussions.  Idiots.  Hopefully no one tries anything too crazy at those conventions.  If they do, they will be thrown out, for their trouble, arrested if they refuse to leave.

https://www.facebook.com/funimation/posts/10156159961143481

https://www.facebook.com/Pensacon/posts/2067857083307603

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, mochi said:

Funimation has officially COMPLETELY fired Vic Mignona....

FOLLOWING AN INVESTIGATION

Here is a transcription from a FB page/post that is no longer public, likely because the person got harassed by Vic supporters.  This is what the investigation was like -

https://www.facebook.com/samantha.inoueharte/posts/10215528151531113

My personal thoughts on the investigation that Funimation performed was that it was very VERY thorough and very professionally handled. When I gave my testimony last week and provided my information, I was met with respect and the questions asked of me were very VERY detail oriented. I had not spoken with ANY voice actor or actress with regards to the questions that were asked of me prior nor after. I was asked to give detailed testimony of several instances that other voice actors and actresses had stated I was involved with. After my testimony I was informed that my testimony matched what was already documented. Dates, locations, other people involved all were documented. We combed through a LOT of information.

To demand proof be given to the general public would mean exposing the identity of victims who did not go public. Would detail their personal experiences. Would detail locations, dates, times, other people who witnessed the events, etc.

To demand proof means putting other people in the line of fire of internet harassment.

You are all witnesses to the internet harassment that people who have come forward publicly are suffering.

To demand proof means that you want to expose victims who have remained unnamed. And that....is cruel.

BUT....just to give you SOMETHING to give you an idea of the type of information provided....I decided to provide you with one single sample of an incident. I refuse to give anything further.

Names, contact information, full date, convention, etc and information not related to the incident have been erased.

So this is part of an email exchange I had with the manager of a Japanese idol singer the morning after an incident that followed my confrontation with Vic regarding introductions. The idol singer was very upset by Vic's advances after the altercation and the manager spent most of the evening calming the Japanese idol singer down.

So ask yourself....should you be privy to all the names, the contact information of various industry professionals, all the details of the victim's experiences?

Hopefully this gives you an idea of the sensitive nature of information and documentation provided during the investigation and you see why information like this should not be made public.

So trust Funimation on their decision. Their investigation was very very thorough. Please stop demanding proof that you have no right to know about.

So yeah Funimation was very thorough and professional.  And also, if that idol singer's fans get wind of this, Vic will be torn limb from limb.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:15 PM, RPD said:

Of course assualt is bad, but attacking and ruining someone's reputation isn't good either. It's the judicial system's job to determine guilt. That's why we have one.

I'm pretty sure Vic ruined his own reputation by sexually harassing and assaulting people for years.  People just giving their accounts of their experiences with Vic are not "attacks."  The judicial system isn't needed to fire someone and ban them from conventions, either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Yay that Vic has been fully fired from Funimation!  You know, something that I've noticed, is that Vic has been used very sparingly in dubs the past few years, mainly returning for old roles, and barely getting any new ones, much less big ones.  I wonder if this was done intentionally by the studios, them wanting to deal with Vic as little as possible at this point.

I think it's more to do with how video games and most other acting gigs pay a ton more than anime dubs, so more actors aspire to reach that goal with anime dubs being a stepping stone that you forget entirely once you pass it.  Anime dubs are like the mime equivalent of voice acting.

Oh-- also? Pensacon..... I never heard of them before and already they are on my Do Not Go list.

Edited by elfie

... if you're a public figure getting harassed online by fans, .... wouldn't ...... calling the police and starting a legal case be the RIGHT thing to do?? You're not safe! What else are you supposed to do?  Lie back and open the chance of a crazy fan finding out where you live?? I do not understand what fans on Twitter are saying about how Monica is acting!  "That's low to tell someone you don't know that you're going to call the police on them!"  Dude, look in the mirror!  YOU don't know Monica!  "Using your celebrity status for horrible things, I would've expected better from you." ... her status has nothing to DO with it!  You would call the police too! Honestly! What are they thinking!?

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

... is it the time to give up on anime now?

I've become really angry and cynical about the industry lately, although the #KickVic thing actually has little to do with it. I'm mostly miffed about Crunchyroll's decision to keep promoting that Shield Hero crap, to the point where I totally deleted my account with them. I'm wondering if I should ever give them my money again... but I'll cave eventually.

It's just really sad to see everything come to this. :(

26 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I've become really angry and cynical about the industry lately, although the #KickVic thing actually has little to do with it. I'm mostly miffed about Crunchyroll's decision to keep promoting that Shield Hero crap, to the point where I totally deleted my account with them. I'm wondering if I should ever give them my money again... but I'll cave eventually.

I've been getting mixed signals from people about Sheild Hero, what exactly happened?

edit: looked it up, yep, it's bad

also @elfie

Sean Schemmel (goku) had some choice words for the StandwithVic'er who tried to kill one of the KickVic'er's

Edited by mochi
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mochi said:

I've been getting mixed signals from people about Sheild Hero, what exactly happened?

edit: looked it up, yep, it's bad

also @elfie

Sean Schemmel (goku) had some choice words for the StandwithVic'er who tried to kill one of the KickVic'er's

This clinches it. Anyone who not only threatens but PULLS OFF physical property damage on someone they don't know is the enemy.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

What's the point of posting a link to something I can't see?

But yeah, no wonder [as] makes fun of us at every opportunity, we're apparently nutjobs.

I assume you can only see the post if you're on Facebook and if you're friends with said person.

No. Only crazy Vic fans are the nutjobs. Not all anime fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Yeah, how dare crunchyroll promote a popular anime that will bring people to their site and make them money. The nerve.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, elfie said:

No. Only crazy Vic fans are the nutjobs. Not all anime fans.

Apparently, I said.

On that note, #KickVic or #IStandWithVic, fake calls to SWAT are not okay.

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

I'm mostly miffed about Crunchyroll's decision to keep promoting that Shield Hero crap, to the point where I totally deleted my account with them.

That's... kind of extreme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Capitalism my friend.  It’s no different from Fox bringing back Last Man Standing.

Honestly, the whole thing feels like Crunchyroll trying to tell people they won’t be stereotypically “woke” after the complete disaster that was the unveiling of High Guardian Spice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jman said:

Capitalism my friend.  It’s no different from Fox bringing back Last Man Standing.

Honestly, the whole thing feels like Crunchyroll trying to tell people they won’t be stereotypically “woke” after the complete disaster that was the unveiling of High Guardian Spice.

which is a show I don't even know if still exists since all news about it vanished after the first promo was just 3 seconds of footage

21 minutes ago, mochi said:

which is a show I don't even know if still exists since all news about it vanished after the first promo was just 3 seconds of footage

The fact that they pivoted so hard into Shield Hero is kind of hilarious.  I haven’t seen the show, but I cannot help but have a sadistic admiration for that level of shamelessness.

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Lol what's your problem with Shield Hero?

15 minutes ago, mochi said:

I mean the premise is that the Isekai world he's in has an oppressive "matriarchy" and he's "falsely" accused of Rape on his first day there

No, that isn't the premise at all mochi. The world has a matriarchy, that isn't oppressive, but the one who came up with the false rape allegation was the king in his bid to usurp power from the queen.

But again, thanks for playing.

• Like 1