UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

On 1/31/2019 at 6:13 PM, mochi said:

I'm actually not sure what the point of this is though

like I read her post which she said was her "Vic Story".......but then the entire story is about how she was brutally raped by Todd Haberkorn

Todd's side is that they both got piss drunk because a "friend" of his kept buying them drinks, they had sex, both felt guilty, and toyed with the idea of becoming a couple, before deciding that wasn't gonna happen, so they just stayed friends meeting up at cons every couple years

after his side was posted her response was "yes it's true I kept in touch with him, but it's because I was confused"

it kinda seems like they both feel they were raped but are choosing the blame eachother for it rather than Todd's "friend" who is largely the reason they ended up drunkenly raping eachother

(todd's friend possibly being Vic since she said it was a Vic story then never mentioned him and Todd chose a generic name so as not to name who the friend was)

That's kind of it, but I wouldn't say just having sex while drunk is considered rape.  Maybe you make a bad decision in that state that you regret, but I wouldn't consider that rape.  If someone was drunk to the point they passed out, then yes.  But yeah, Todd considered the thing consensual.  That name he gave wasn't generic apparently and was that person's actual name, and that guy gave his side of things.  He said he felt like he was a bad friend that night for letting the girl drink so much.

Links -

https://mobile.twitter.com/neumaverick/status/1091106085006524416

Well, looks like Todd deleted his previous posts and says he shouldn't have responded the way he did.  This is what he's posted now -

Edit - Now I see she said she was unconscious. *throws hands up* If that's true, then it's definitely rape.  So, there is more difference in the two sides of the story than I originally knew/thought.  Even less sure what to think now.

Edit 2 - The underage girl in that other story was underage in the terms she was 20, so one year too young to drink.  So yeah.

Edited by ben0119

This was Demarco's take on things. 

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/152277838057

I can't believe he hasn't been following what's going on.  He doesn't seem too concerned that Vic is playing a role in one his shows currently airing, either, even if it is a minor role.  And I get the whole separate the art from the artist thing, but it's tough for me.  It's one thing to say, stop supporting them because you think that might help them hurt more people, but say that's not a factor because the person gets their royalties cut off, is re-cast, dies, or you just pirate it, whatever, it's hard to get that stuff out of your head while you're consuming the media.  I don't think I'd ever be able to read or what Rurouni Kenshin again, for that reason.  Also the fact of a creator/writer over just one actor.  At least the stuff Vic was prominent in I wasn't planning on re-watching again any time soon anyway.  He's mostly in minor roles these days, and it makes me wonder if that was intentional.  I also read on that one forum that maybe Vic was cast as the tentacle slug in SAO as a way to take a shot at him or make fun of.  I dunno about that, but it wouldn't surprise me.  But couple that with Todd playing Oberon... just... oof.

As for Todd, it seems a lot more muddy with the situation going on with him.  There's no huge history of past behavior (that we've heard of yet,) seemingly just this one incident, which sounds to me like it could have been consensual, and maybe Todd felt it was and Jesse Pridemore thought it wasn't.  Not so sure what to think of that yet, but it's still going to be make it distracting to watch things with him in it.  I still have a good amount of Fairy Tail episodes to binge.  I was actually skeptical of him playing Natsu from the start, not because of experience with the sub, since I never saw it, but because Todd's voice is extremely distinctive and, well, kind of annoying, so I wasn't so keen on him playing one of the leads of a series, especially a long-runner. 

I could switch to the sub, but I really prefer dubs.  You can just sit back and enjoy everything and not have to worry about missing onscreen action because you're reading.  Maybe others are better at it than I am, but I've always had an issue there.  I do see the perspective of consuming things in their original form, but I have trouble watching things subbed, as I said, and I just look at it as like a different cast for a play.  Now, I think dubs really don't work for live action and comes off cheesy, plus you are removing part of someone's performance as opposed to just switching actors.  Maybe it's ok for cheesy kaiji and martial arts movies, but that's about it.  Heh, if I hadn't dragged my feet, I'd already be all the way through the dubbed episodes and have no choice to watch subbed now! *sigh*

33 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Other voice actors are chiming in, people that would know Vic personally, so I don't think there's any reason to doubt any of this.  Especially when there's photographic evidence and testimonials.  Apparently Sean Schemmel is liking #kickVic tweets, and Stephanie Sheh shared this ANN article, which is well done -

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212 

A lot of the Vic stuff is being cataloged in this thread on this forum, and the thread for the ANN article.  Besides just the overly touchy feely stuff, someone claimed that Vic tried to rape her at his house, getting as far as getting on top of her with his shirt off, before she escaped.  This was before the VA days when he was mostly doing Christian stuff and the church he was with didn't want to rock the boat by looking into it or doing anything about it apparently.  And another girl said Vic put his hand up her skirt on an elevator at an anime convention.

Yeah well that Kinda confirms it since Sean and Stephanie were like two of the last people to have worked with him....

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

Yeah well that Kinda confirms it since Sean and Stephanie were like two of the last people to have worked with him....

Yeah, and also Todd doesn't even like Vic.  When the Adam from the Jesse Pridemore story decided to tell his side of what he saw, he posted screenshots of a conversation he had with Todd and he rips Vic and they talk about Vic's behavior.

DyRj-acU0AAiOZm?format=jpg&name=large

DyRj-cuVYAAn8Mo?format=jpg&name=large

Yugh.

it's funny this is happening now, since I legit was hearing these stories back when I was like 16

I'm glad it's happening now though because while I never minded his voice work in the show's I watched, I always frankly did think he was an ass, just based on things I'd heard, that he forced the goers at his con appearances to pray and praise jesus and would passive aggressively bully fans who liked Yaoi (or were gay themselves), AND the aformentioned open secret that his conduct with his female fans was unpleasant

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah, and also Todd doesn't even like Vic.  When the Adam from the Jesse Pridemore story decided to tell his side of what he saw, he posted screenshots of a conversation he had with Todd and he rips Vic and they talk about Vic's behavior.

DyRj-acU0AAiOZm?format=jpg&name=large

DyRj-cuVYAAn8Mo?format=jpg&name=large

Yugh.

from the sound of it EVERYONE who's worked with him hates him

except arguably Aaron Dismuke....but I can't be sure since Aaron's last statement about how he felt about Vic was back when he was 12

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mochi said:

it's funny this is happening now, since I legit was hearing these stories back when I was like 16

I'm glad it's happening now though because while I never minded his voice work in the show's I watched, I always frankly did think he was an ass, just based on things I'd heard, that he forced the goers at his con appearances to pray and praise jesus and would passive aggressively bully fans who liked Yaoi (or were gay themselves), AND the aformentioned open secret that his conduct with his female fans was unpleasant

I remember a thread about this or discussion of this cropped up on the old Lithium ASMB... it was YEARS ago.  It was about Vic being a diva and getting too touchy feely with fans.  Now I've learned he's also seemingly homophobic.  The not signing it because it's "not canon" or because it's fan art or whatever doesn't hold water, either, since he signed a fan art of someone's original character with Edward.  So, he lied about that.  Well, he doesn't force people to pray and praise Jesus, from what I understand, but somehow he got the conventions to give him time to do these church sermon things on Sunday, which is just really fucking weird.  Someone posted a video of one in that thread I linked that is awkward as fuck to watch.  And I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't carry around Starbucks cups, Vic!

Edited by ben0119

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Fan clubs are relics of the days of CD clubs, and the like, a pre-internet way of expressing fandom.

Online fan clubs are a tad better, but they too can get out of control sometimes, are filled with a lot of minors, and can nurse IRL conflict at events, so it's a challenge to keep them in line.  Monica Rial's fan club group on Facebook is one of the shining examples of one done right.

See, if it was just fans, that would be one thing, but the fanclub, the co-workers, all the other stuff, and the fact that these rumors have been around in some form for a decade, you kinda put two and two together.

SJW's suck, but when you call everyone an SJW the term becomes meaningless.  

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jman said:

See, if it was just fans, that would be one thing, but the fanclub, the co-workers, all the other stuff, and the fact that these rumors have been around in some form for a decade, you kinda put two and two together.

SJW's suck, but when you call everyone an SJW the term becomes meaningless.  

The term is meaningless no matter how it's used.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

"Look at all the social justice warriors getting offended by a middle-aged man going out of his way hugging, touching, and kissing underage girls. What sensitive snowflakes!"

On the plus side, it's become all the easier to see the intersection between the anti-SJW crowd and supporting inappropriate contact with children.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, elfie said:

... WHY IS NAZI IN THAT THUMBNAIL!??? DID PEOPLE REALLY CAL HIM THAT??!

If the video is accurate he was called anti semitic because he used the word holocaust to describe the noise that was coming from another room.

He was called anti gay because he refused to sign yaoi art for fans. He seems religious so I doubt he has very positive feelings towards gay people in general, but it doesn't look like they have any instances of him mistreating gay people.

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

The sheer number of allegations against this guy have reached Cosby levels, he's toast.

the allegations against him have been public knowlage since 2007, it's just that nobody cared until Super Browly broke the box-office

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I can only hope DIU dub has already wrapped, considering all this "damage control".

i can almost guarentee DIU's dub is complete, they'd likely have been dubbing the next part by this point

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

i can almost guarentee DIU's dub is complete, they'd likely have been dubbing the next part by this point

I normally don't predict dub casts (anymore) but Todd Haberkorn better be Buccellati, just because I can't read his famous line in any other voice.

8d8addf4d8b3ad0662e511a32b23d17b8f01e089

1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Todd's not doing all that great at the moment either. #kickTodd

Todd's not doing great because he likewise shared his side of the story on FB, but he's not getting near as much hate as Vic is.  The fact they they are famously best friends isn't helping things either.

Well now the industry here is in a pickle. Todd is something like the most used voice actor in the California anime dubbing industry and occasionally in Texas- he even has his own studio!  If they get rid of both of them and they never work in dubs again, they're going to lose a huge chunk of resources to get the demand out per season!

One hot take is that I'm hoping that Rohan is recast. Not because of the scandal, but because he was miscast. Vic has the initial creepiness of Rohan down, but the voice he gives him is highly unconvincing for the smarmy asshole that Rohan ends up becoming. Hiroshi Kamiya played him best, but even Takahiro Sakurai's had more bite to his voice because Rohan is supported to be a happily spiteful bastard. Vic's Rohan sounds like a tacky Vegas magician trying to spook and mystify while putting on a cheap Vincent Price impersonation. Todd outing himself for being the VA that took a drunken girl to a hotel room also doesn't hinder the fact that I wouldn't miss hearing his same prissy voice floating around in English dubs.

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I imagine Todd will make it out of this alive, since it seems to be just the one incident that he feels guilty about, compared to Vic's years of rock star notoriety.

yeah, based on how his fellow VA's have reacted to HIS allegations makes it seem like it was a one time mistake rather than a lifelong history of behavior, and the fact that he already admitted to it and said he regrets it

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Good thing I always thought California was the superior dubbing state.

California is probably worse considering hollywood is a literal cess-pool of sex offenders helping other sex offenders hide their crimes by using struggling LGBT actors as ritual sacrifices :|

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, mochi said:

California is probably worse considering hollywood is a literal cess-pool of sex offenders helping other sex offenders hide their crimes by using struggling LGBT actors as ritual sacrifices :|

Which is even sadder because Hollywood gives you the biggest income out of any other field of entertainment in the US, IF you're lucky enough to make it big.

7 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

One hot take is that I'm hoping that Rohan is recast.

They're not gonna recast for the show. By now they're probably either finished dubbing all the episodes or at the very end; it's way too late to change it now. If they get the Rohan OVAs there's probably a good chance they'll recast after all the fallout from this, but they'll never go back and redub his old work. We're stuck with creepy McNuggets licking spiders forever.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 12:55 AM, ben0119 said:

I remember a thread about this or discussion of this cropped up on the old Lithium ASMB... it was YEARS ago.

I remember that, too... and wasn't surprised when this thing took off on twitter. Don't know if he's guilty of anything or not, I've never even met or seen the guy, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. Usually...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RPD said:

I remember that, too... and wasn't surprised when this thing took off on twitter. Don't know if he's guilty of anything or not, I've never even met or seen the guy, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. Usually...

When there’s several plumes of it around the same area, yeah.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RPD said:

I never met the guy but he made an egotistical spectical of himself at Otakon one year by roaming the halls of the Baltimore convention center holding up lines for other events propositioning girls for Autographs, he walked past me followed by a katamari of teenagers

• Like 2