UnevenEdge

I’m in a hostel bar in Ica, Peru.

jackiemarie90

1 minute ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Tú espanol es my mejor que el mio. Jaja

No, I just have access to original Vallejo texts from my translation class.

"César Vallejo ha muerto, le pegaban
todos sin que él les haga nada;
le daban duro con un palo y duro

también con una soga; son testigos
los días jueves y los huesos húmeros,
la soledad, la lluvia, los caminos…"

2 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

No, I just have access to original Vallejo texts from my translation class.

"César Vallejo ha muerto, le pegaban
todos sin que él les haga nada;
le daban duro con un palo y duro

también con una soga; son testigos
los días jueves y los huesos húmeros,
la soledad, la lluvia, los caminos…"

It sounds like poetry. If I were to be honest, I understand like 65 percent of it. Lol it’s harder when you are intoxicated. >.>

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Well he sounds good at what he does, from what I understand. Lol

He was majorly important in Peru, and translating him was/still is considered impossible, primarily for his use of made-up phrases/sounds/neologisms and fluctuating registers. Though some have tried, no English poet's singular approach has been completely successful, depending on what you call successful as an English translation.

Edited by Bouvre
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

He was majorly important in Peru, and translating him was/still is considered impossible, primarily for his use of made-up phrases/sounds/neologisms and fluctuating registers. Though some have tried, no English poet's singular approach has been completely successful, depending on what you call successful as an English translation.

Well no wonder a newb like me was struggling lol. Don’t know if anyone here is exclusively Peruvian other than the staff.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

How does one socialize? 🤔 I’m just drinking for now. Lol

Bat your eyelashes a local boy and tell him you want to hit the market and try local street foods.

Also, remember you are an American in a foreign country, so be at least three times as loud as you need to be. :P

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Bat your eyelashes a local boy and tell him you want to hit the market and try local street foods.

Also, remember you are an American in a foreign country, so be at least three times as loud as you need to be. :P

Lmao. Two locals have already hit on me on this trip. Which just makes me miss my boyfriend more. I’ve been messaging him, but it’s gonna be magic when I see him again.

57 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Yo comì un hamburgessa y estoy en mi cama. Pero quiero un más bebida alcoholica.

Tengo una margarita, si la quieres. Acabo de comer un Baconator de Wendy’s. No puedes tener eso, porque eso es mío.

Edited by lupin_bebop
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, jackiemarie90 said:

Since New Year’s Day. And gonna stay till the 24th. Visiting different cities, riding buses, being an embarrassing American. Usual American backpacker stuff. :P

That's cool as shit! I wish I was brave enough to backpack across a foreign country solo. I don't even like eating in public solo .... unless I'm studying or something. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vamped said:

That's cool as shit! I wish I was brave enough to backpack across a foreign country solo. I don't even like eating in public solo .... unless I'm studying or something. 

Well there is such a thing as the “gringo” route where many tourists go. I actually just got off of it and now I’m Chiclayo. If anyone was considering it, I’d highly recommend hostels where they give you a lot of food for cheap and you meet a ton of other backpackers like you. A couple didn’t even know a little spanish like these 2 guys from the Netherlands I was talking too. And I’ve been embarrassing myself left and right but I just laugh it off, say perdon or gracias and move on. :)

• Like 1