UnevenEdge

The switch is way too fucking expensive

fuggstop

18 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

It's bascially a nintendo version of the PSP.. Which for all I know is STILL just as expensive.

I wouldn't be surprised. I havent heard much news about the PSP in years anyway. 

Psp is last gen n u can get one for $20 easy

Vita was new one but it's out dated n not supported anymore. Get one $100-$200 depending how big of a sucker you are.

Switch is only 2 years old n is $300 firm. Get a bundle it's not a bad deal...if you can't afford the $300 buy in for the system you can't afford to play it do best to avoid it all honesty....gaming is exspensive.

Edited by Xanatos

27 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

Vita was new one but it's out dated n not supported anymore. Get one $100-$200 depending how big of a sucker you are.

Switch is only 2 years old n is $300 firm. Get a bundle it's not a bad deal...if you can't afford the $300 buy in for the system you can't afford to play it do best to avoid it all honesty....gaming is exspensive.

The $60 for games smaller than the Nintendo 3ds is killing me

1 hour ago, Xanatos said:

You're right I forgot about the Vita I never fooled with any of the sony handhelds so I was just saying nintendo felt they had to put out something simular, and the price isn't  much different than sony's products..

My switch is loaded with the 10 to 20 dollar games from the eshop. So many of them are so tempting, and I think I only regret one. Bought it on pure impulse when I saw outer space exploration. Turned out to be point and click adventure. That fucking eshop kills me and I'm thinking of buying one of those cheap games as a merry Christmas to myself today. Why must I love top down shooters!?!

4 hours ago, fuggstop said:

The $60 for games smaller than the Nintendo 3ds is killing me

Then u can't afford a game system.

Add on online service as well.

And the games may be physically smaller but the content is so much bigger then a ds could ever hope to hold

Edited by Xanatos

It's a handheld to the extend that it can be carried around and played without access to a tv, but it has console production values and console pricing.

Nintendo said the reason they are still supporting 3DS software is because the Switch is being purchased as a family system and not a personal system, which is in part due to the fact that it's priced like a console.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cyberbully said:

I bought mine with 2....technically 4 controllers, Mariokart and steering wheels....Worth every dollar....And I just opened Smash U last night....Best game ever And my son can play all kinds of shit without fucking with anyone's TV

the boy absolutely loves his. and i mean...he's pretty damn good for a 5yr old. xD

mid broke down all the controllers and gizmos and whatzadoozies...(that is total legit gamer speak) to show me. 

they got a wii thing too? or something like? 

pretty fun stuff. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

the boy absolutely loves his. and i mean...he's pretty damn good for a 5yr old. xD

mid broke down all the controllers and gizmos and whatzadoozies...(that is total legit gamer speak) to show me. 

they got a wii thing too? or something like? 

pretty fun stuff. 

The controller dividing and the thingie sitting in the base thingie and showing up on the tv took me about an hour to figure out and i still dont understand it. I want to get another controller so bad but the kid insists i don't need to.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PenguinBoss said:

The fact that you're arguing which it is proves Nintendo's attempt to bridge the two was a success.

Yes, and no.

They tried, but made a platform that fails both.

It can be played by multiple people, has a download store (finally), online multiplayer (FINALLY), and other console-like services, like Netflix, Hulu, and the like.

It fails the console portion in that it is underpowered as Hell. It chugs gameplay- and performance-wise when thing get marginally busy (Smash being the expection yo that, because it runs natively). It also doesn’t feel substantial like a console should. It feels cheap in hands. It also doesn’t have any cloud save service, nor ample space for save games like consoles do.

As a handheld, the Switch is a better fit. Unfortunately, it suffers all the same drawbacks. The handheld portion in tablet mode is nice for saving someone who wants to watch TV. It’s also nice because you can plug headphones into it to listen to your stuff in peace.

The battery life on the tablet is double that of the Wii U tablet, which means you’ve got about 5 hours or so of gameplay. Honestly, my cell phone gets better battery life than that. On that note, playing on the tablet feels foreign and uncomfortable. It denigrates the very console it’s made to be. You also get better definition from a cell phone. Plus, you get access to internet everywhere. 

The emphasis on constant accessories and extraneous BS reeks of desperation and lacks of confidence of their own unit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

Yes, and no.

It can be played by multiple people, has a download store (finally), online multiplayer (FINALLY), and other console-like services, like Netflix, Hulu, and the like.

It fails the console portion in that it is underpowered as Hell. It chugs gameplay- and performance-wise when thing get marginally busy (Smash being the expection yo that, because it runs natively). It also doesn’t feel substantial like a console should. It feels cheap in hands. It also doesn’t have any cloud save service, nor ample space for save games like consoles do.

As a handheld, the Switch is a better fit. Unfortunately, it suffers all the same drawbacks. The handheld portion in tablet mode is nice for saving someone who wants to watch TV. It’s also nice because you can plug headphones into it to listen to your stuff in peace.

The battery life on the tablet is double that of the Wii U tablet, which means you’ve got about 5 hours or so of gameplay. Honestly, my cell phone gets better battery life than that. On that note, playing on the tablet feels foreign and uncomfortable. It denigrates the very console it’s made to be. You also get better definition from a cell phone. Plus, you get access to internet everywhere. 

The emphasis on constant accessories and extraneous BS reeks of desperation and lacks of confidence of their own unit. 

1. Im really disappointed with the battery life. We played like 3 hours and somehow (not sure how) madison knew it needed to be charged. Like wtf? It does take an hour to charge but still! Also being so dependent on battery i wonder if its going to go dead in less than 2 years and u have to keep buying new ones.

Are you sure it has netflix and hulu and all that? That is kinda neat but u cant really binge watch on the handheld version.

34 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

Yes, and no.

Uh, I mean, the Wii had all of those, too. Netflix on the Wii is stopping next month. Even if you're talking about retail games, the Wii U had that.

I couldn't speak to the chugging, because I only have Smash at this point and it works fine while docked. As for feeling "substantial" that's a ridiculous complaint, in whatever way you might mean it. Size? Ridiculous. Quality? It's no worse than any other controller.

By definition, I assume you don't mean resolution, since the tablet can do 720p, and I'm unaware of phones that are more than that.

What are you exactly talking about with constant accessories and extraneous BS? There was Labo, made to appeal to children, and then?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PenguinBoss said:

Uh, I mean, the Wii had all of those, too. Netflix on the Wii is stopping next month. Even if you're talking about retail games, the Wii U had that.

I couldn't speak to the chugging, because I only have Smash at this point and it works fine while docked. As for feeling "substantial" that's a ridiculous complaint, in whatever way you might mean it. Size? Ridiculous. Quality? It's no worse than any other controller.

By definition, I assume you don't mean resolution, since the tablet can do 720p, and I'm unaware of phones that are more than that.

What are you exactly talking about with constant accessories and extraneous BS? There was Labo, made to appeal to children, and then?

Well the entire unit really is just the handleheld

The docking station is basically a glorfied hdmi adapter to project on tv. It lacks true power it could have if there was more tech built into the dock that could have went into battery power, grapic rendering and more entertainment elements that u find on the ps3, xbox, etc. I really have a problem with the fact that it costs about as much as a ps4  or xbox ome but has so much less going on

52 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

Well the entire unit really is just the handleheld

The docking station is basically a glorfied hdmi adapter to project on tv. It lacks true power it could have if there was more tech built into the dock that could have went into battery power, grapic rendering and more entertainment elements that u find on the ps3, xbox, etc. I really have a problem with the fact that it costs about as much as a ps4  or xbox ome but has so much less going on

Yeah, I never said it wasn't.

It's like you didn't know anything about the Switch or Nintendo in general before you bought it.

Sustantial?.......put the joycons down and buy a controller. The joycons are mostly just for the handheld portion and the went the extra mile to make them work independently just so you could 2 player out the box. 

Its only a handheld if you want it to be... We treat ours as a console. 

I dont know what this chugging is lb speaks of. 

5 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

dont know what this chugging is lb speaks of.

Yeah, I watched a lot of the Eevee game and BOTW be played and have played a lot of Pokkén and never seen anything like that, but maybe he means some online multiplayer gameplay idk.

Edited by Da_big_Nabowski

15 minutes ago, Da_big_Nabowski said:

Yeah, I watched a lot of the Eevee game and BOTW be played and have played a lot of Pokkén and never seen anything like that, but maybe he means some online multiplayer gameplay idk.

Fortnight and smash run fine online....I don't know about anything else.

Oh and the nintendo virtual console runs online fine too but why wouldn't it.

4 hours ago, fuggstop said:

1. Im really disappointed with the battery life. We played like 3 hours and somehow (not sure how) madison knew it needed to be charged. Like wtf? It does take an hour to charge but still! Also being so dependent on battery i wonder if its going to go dead in less than 2 years and u have to keep buying new ones.

Are you sure it has netflix and hulu and all that? That is kinda neat but u cant really binge watch on the handheld version.

Yep. The battery life can be better. That's the point I was making. It's okay, not good. Not great.

Also, yes, it's on there. You can download it just like anything else. 

3 hours ago, PenguinBoss said:

I said this earlier. Smash is the exception to this, because it runs natively on the unit. When I mean substantial holding the unit as a whole. The Joy-Cons feel cheap to me. The definition, yes, I mean overall graphical performance. It only does 720P, and it chugs, even at that.
I mean EXACTLY that, and the other BS when I say that. There's no need for The gimmicks. The Labo is a gimmick. The arrow and SHeild (back in the day) was a gimmick. They need to stop with that BS.

32 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

I said this earlier. Smash is the exception to this, because it runs natively on the unit. When I mean substantial holding the unit as a whole. The Joy-Cons feel cheap to me. The definition, yes, I mean overall graphical performance. It only does 720P, and it chugs, even at that.
I mean EXACTLY that, and the other BS when I say that. There's no need for The gimmicks. The Labo is a gimmick. The arrow and SHeild (back in the day) was a gimmick. They need to stop with that BS.

And I didn't mention Smash to prove you wrong. I mentioned it because I couldn't say one way or another about the chugging, since that's the only game I've played. I really couldn't have made it any clearer than that.

lol at wanting over 720p at something the size of a tablet, and a pretty small one at that. And have fun finding cell phones that can run games with PS3 graphics at 720p/60 fps.

Arrow and shield? I literally have no idea what you mean. Like Wii stuff from over 10 years ago? One thing this generation and one from 10 years ago is "constant"? Yeah, okay, man. Sorry that you're missing out on games they never would have made anyway because they were too busy with gimmicks.

It's like you've never heard of Nintendo, either.

• Thanks 1

The joy cons are cheap as fuck there's honestly no debate there.. but that's why nintendo consoles always offer better quality aftermarket and/or 3rd party controllers... The Nintendo switch graphics (when used as a console) still don't stand up to the leading competors graphics, but any serious gamer should already expect that from nintendo.. I've come to expect that sadly, but I'm still a REALLY big nintendo fan..It's hard to say if that's mostly due to childhood nostalgia or their Jedi mind level marketing team at this point, but I think it's safe to say the switch has earned it's place, I think it's met nintendos expectations for sure.  I havent done a pixel test..but come on I think it's easy to see a difference with the naked eye here.)

A lot of work still needs to be done when it comes to nintendos online set up and marketplace if you ask me, and that's one of the biggest things that needs improvement. I havent really tested any of these features myself though since I recently got the hand-held..console whatever it is.. but I agree with someordinarygamers Nin switch critiques for the most part. 

2 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

The joy cons are cheap as fuck there's honestly no debate there.. but that's why nintendo consoles always offer better quality aftermarket and/or 3rd party controllers... The Nintendo switch graphics (when used as a console) still don't stand up to the leading competors graphics, but any serious gamer should already expect that from nintendo.. I've come to expect that sadly, but I'm still a REALLY big nintendo fan..It's hard to say if that's mostly due to childhood nostalgia or their Jedi mind level marketing team at this point, but I think it's safe to say the switch has earned it's place, I think it's met nintendos expectations for sure.  I havent done a pixel test..but come on I think it's easy to see a difference with the naked eye here.)

A lot of work still needs to be done when it comes to nintendos online set up and marketplace if you ask me, and that's one of the biggest things that needs improvement. I havent really tested any of these features myself though since I recently got the hand-held..console whatever it is.. but I agree with someordinarygamers Nin switch critiques for the most part. 

Nintendo does what it's supposed to do and that's crank out it's flagship exclusives to sell consoles.....You aren't getting Mario, Link, Pokemon, Samus, Fox, Fzero, Animal Crossing, and the list can go on forever from any other company.  The last time Nintendo was graphically relevant was during the Gamecube/PS2 days when it boasted the Gekko CPU and the ATI graphics cards, but even before that it didn't try to be a graphics monster even though the SNES blew Genesis out of the water.  The 64 was a complete ass of a machine on screen, but the games were unforgettable.

Say what you will about the gimmicks, at least they are an ambitious enough company that it, despite it's many failed devices, still attempts something new with gaming other than plopping you down in a chair....Hell, they are a big enough threat that they had Sony and Microsoft both trying to get into motion gaming just to keep up with the poor little Wii....

Nintendo is a force, and it will be for a while because if nothing else, it has the most memorable characters in gaming history.......Who's waiting for that new Spyro or Banjo Kazooie.....NOBODY.....Sony even tried to bring back Crash to 0 applause.  

Don't even get me started on Microsoft.....Master Chief and Gears of War.....THAT'S what people think is gonna move units?.....GTFO 

Edited by The Beast Milk
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The Beast Milk said:

LOL, it's just the joycons and the L/R attachments for when you remove the controllers....Oh and that other single controller thingie......Ok, it's more shit than usual but it's pretty straight forward.

The joy con I got that and the wrist straps. The device that holds both joy cons, me and my bf were like, damn, maybe this is for games that need both at once?  Lol the hazards of being old and stoned setting shit up 😆

we don’t know wtf we’re doing 🤣

Edited by 1pooh4u