UnevenEdge

Ode to fucking JOY Sword Art does it again

• 1 month later...

So, I got side-tracked and fell behind at episode 5.  Just got caught up the past few weeks but didn't have a chance to post on the episodes.  And yeah, what happened in episode 10, and the lead up in episode 9, was really, really bad.  It's somehow even worse than the incident with Oberon.  What the hell was Reki thinking putting this scene in?!  It was not needed!  This arc was going so well, too!  Here's my post on the episode itself -

Spoiler

Ep 10 -

Yeah Frenica is a different girl.

No Pancho or anything?  Surely they have some sort of rain proof stuff in this time?

What is that?  Insense?  Oil?

Yeah I was right that Raios is just as much a sicko as Humbert, if not worse.

With a tongue like a Orichimaru, this guy could be ole Slugsworth's brother, Oberon!

Hahaha flying into the bed like that, like an evil version of Lupin.  FFS.

OK that escalated REALLY quickly.  I didn't think it would turn out like this.  The 2 girls tied up, about to be raped, Eugeo chops the one guy's arm off, the Kirito chops the other guy's hands off!  Those girls are going to be traumatized for life!

LOL I need a screen cap or gif of Raios when he's fighting Kirito and his face gets all ugly when they clash swords.

Raios didn't even die from blood loss.  His AI got fried by having to choose between Taboo Index and his own life.  Presumably it's against the Index to commit suicide which is why Humbert said he couldn't give him the rope?  He said his life would decrease and that's it's against the Index.!

Ok, so I hope the Taboo Index violation was committing murder, and not Eugeo stepping in and stopping the rape.  There's no way that "punishment" can be considered valid, when son much as petty theft never even happens for fear of violating the Taboo Index.  But, Eugeo's eye did explode apparently, because he went against the programming.  *sigh*

Ok, so, the whole thing of there's some things that aren't against the law which you still shouldn't do, and some things that are against the law that you should do, AIs bending the law and still doing evil acts etc etc, surely there were better ways to go about it than this?!  Like, maybe killing in self-defense, WITHOUT the whole rapey part?

For all the light novel readers that were extolling the virtues of this arc, saying this is the best arc of SAO, or the people that even went so far as to say that this is the ONLY good arc of SAO, I wonder they have to say about this.

Spoiler

Uhh, if you are trying to make this world immersive and real to the AIs, maybe DON'T have the evil head pop up and make note of Taboo Index violations?  Ok, they don't have any idea about videogames or virtual worlds, but that is definitely not something they're accustomed to seeing.  What is the purpose of that?  Why does it need to be visible to the AIs?

Not sure what not letting the girls hear it is going to do.  They already saw it, didn't they?

Healed his eye.  And... what she's saying, is Azurica (keep thinking her name is Amurica, lol) a Rath developer or someone else from the real world?

So, they don't come to Alice.  She comes to them.  Her hair looks like a sword, lol.

I really want to know if the ABEC versions of Oberon, Raios, and Humbert look this creepy, or if it's something made worse by the anime's character designer.  Why do they have to look so fucking creepy?  The way their eyes and their faces are, it's just... GAH.

What really sucks about this is we can't really just write this off like we did with Fairy Dance and pretend the whole arc never happened, like with Bleach's Bount Arc.  Alicization has mostly been good so we can't really divorce it from the rest of the show like that.  Indeed, we don't just want to write it off, so there's no getting around this!  This arc is now tainted!  DAMN IT, Reki!

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/01/20/sword-art-online-sexual-assault-plot-device-comments-reki-kawahara/

https://mobile.twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1086434402089881601

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/15/sword-art-online-alicization-sexual-assault-creator-response/

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/09/sword-art-online-season-3-censorship-rape-assault-anime-stream/

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/13/sword-art-online-anime-sexual-assault-rape-explanation-story/

So, Reki said he included rape in his stories because light novels he read had rape in them.  Anyone know anything about these series and how it was used in them?  Regardless, that's not the best way to take influence or inspiration from another story.  You don't just put something into your story because you read it in other stories.

After going to fan events in the U.S., he's realized and decided that he's not going to include rape in future stories.  That's Japan for you... I guess no Japanese fans had any issue with the scenes?  Lovely.

He said the anime made the rape scene way more intense and graphic than in the book, and apologized to the voice actors.  Anyone read that light novel and can tell us what it was like there?  But I mean, why would the anime creators make it even worse?!

It was censored on Hulu?  How much worse could it be than it already was?! *watches video that was linked* Okay that's worse but not as bad as it could have been.  But the scene was pretty bad to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 2:52 AM, Sketch said:

WTF were they thinking with that display? That's horrendous.

I'm hoping that it's a joke.  It HAD to be, right?  If not, then WTF indeed.

By the way, the last Alicization episode that aired was a recap.  And they even recapped that scene.  Not sure what they were thinking.  Maybe the episode was made too far ahead of time for them to change it, but really, they shouldn't have shown that again regardless.  Hopefully Toonami doesn't air the recap episode, not just because it's a pointless recap episode, but because we don't need to see that rape scene twice.

Apparently that giant cardboard cutout of the shirtless dude looking like a 90s WWE wrestler doing a flying leap off the ropes is taken straight from the attempted rape scene. They went out of their way to make a display highlighting the rapist character.

Great fucking job there SAO, y'all really know how to handle sensitive content in a mature and non-exploitative way.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Apparently that giant cardboard cutout of the shirtless dude looking like a 90s WWE wrestler doing a flying leap off the ropes is taken straight from the attempted rape scene. They went out of their way to make a display highlighting the rapist character.

Great fucking job there SAO, y'all really know how to handle sensitive content in a mature and non-exploitative way.

Are you saying it was.....

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I'm hoping that it's a joke.  It HAD to be, right?  If not, then WTF indeed.

By the way, the last Alicization episode that aired was a recap.  And they even recapped that scene.  Not sure what they were thinking.  Maybe the episode was made too far ahead of time for them to change it, but really, they shouldn't have shown that again regardless.  Hopefully Toonami doesn't air the recap episode, not just because it's a pointless recap episode, but because we don't need to see that rape scene twice.

They probably won’t air the recap on Toonami. It may not even get dubbed.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 12:58 AM, EmpressAngel said:

I managed to find the origin for this image.  I thought it would be on the store's website or some random website, but it's on the actual SAO Alicization website (possible spoilers in link.)

https://sao-alicization.net/special/display/

Apparently they held a store display contest.  Some of them are even quite nice!  This store was clearly trolling the contest.  So was the one that hung a bunch of leaping shirtless guy cut outs in front of Johnny Black.  That one isn't nearly as bad though.