UnevenEdge

Ode to fucking JOY Sword Art does it again

The only thing that gets me through SAO's rape scenes (outside of content rating stuff) is amazement at Bang Zoom's stunt casting for said rapists. Todd Haberkorn as Sugo/Oberon, JYB as Shinkawa, and even an uncredited Vic Mignogna as the slug dude (with Tony Oliver as his comparatively more vanilla buddy). Whoever they get to play the assaulter in Alicization, whoever he is, I'm confident he'll have name recognition within the anime dub fandom.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Huh...it was censored a little (though it's censored on top of an already censored for broadcast raw).

https://mobile.twitter.com/TZEENO/status/1071480682571030528

Shit will definitely be on home releases uncut (and unfortunately, Toonami most likely).

it's not as much of a sure thing this will end up on toonami anymore due to the Hulu deal

though I'm sure Toonami will TRY and get this

8 hours ago, mochi said:

Update, this particular Rape scene actually went too far, and All versions available outside Japan have been heavily censored, with some scenes frozen or out-right blacked out

.... how do you --oh right because international streaming.  So how do you-- oh right because international news.

37 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Trying to paint him as being insincere with his apology is just as bad as, if not worse than, him doing the bad to begin with imo.

it wasn't really an apology though, he was basically just thanking the voice actors for "bringing his rape scene to life"

an apology would've been saying he knows it's bad and won't add rape scenes in any of his future novels

There's another thing we're not discussing here.  ... other light novels from when he wrote this arc also had near-rape scenes!?  What kinds of light novels are they!?  Did I misunderstand what they are from the very start back when I first heard the term?

Edited by elfie

34 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

So his excuse is "I've just read SO MUCH gratuitous sexual assault, of course it influenced me to add gratuitous sexual assault into my own work! I guess I'll try to maybe not do that anymore."

That...is not really a good explanation.

...I’m gonna assume everyone knows why what Reki said was stupid and move on.

Edited by Jman

8 hours ago, mochi said:

I wouldn't go that far

The good thing about goblins is that they aren’t able to vocalize how exciting it is to assault women. The camera also hasn’t revelled in the women’s agony or assets during the act. There are no upsides to rape in this universe and it’s not used, attempted or otherwise, to delegitimize the strength of women as a whole in the universe. 

That’s already far more positive in comparison to every SAO instance where rape is used to cuckhold the audience into a state of anger/jealousy over their strong heroines being vulnerable after all until the hero can swoop in to save the day. 

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

I'm more surprised everyone here is so shocked and appalled over rape when we've had a show with a literal Rape Ape.

It’s because Sword Fart keeps going back to the rape gags again and again and again like it’s clearly the author’s fetish, which he kinda admitted it was!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Daos said:

Lets see... Asuna and the tentacles... Asuna and Oberon..... Sinon and that guy.... these latest 2 girls... that's only like 5 rapes! 

Now 6 rapes would just be tactless.

Once I would get as a (bad) attempt to make someone look depraved.  But over and over and over and over again and it’s clearly nothing more than the author’s fetish.  And that’s worse.

5 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Plus that tentacle plant that licked the loli waifu. 

At least that one wasn't played for drama (unless that somehow makes it worse).

Still, if and when Alicization makes it to Toonami, I bet you anything you all overplay your reactions to the rape while I react with as much apathy/attention towards other details as I can muster.

[because that's how team poke rolls]

I'm at a loss of words for this.  What is the necessity of this?  So we can have yet another scene in SAO of a guy coming to the rescue of the poor, helpless, girl?  For the sake of titillating the audience?  I really hope it's not the latter, because if Reki truly thinks that it hot to watch a woman (TWO in this case) get unwillingly pinned down, clothes being torn from her body, legs being forced open, and being tossed around like a fucking ragdoll, then he deserves every single ounce of hatred and criticism he gets for this scene.

I'm honestly disgusted by this.  Truly, completely, and honestly disgusted.  There has only been one other time I've ever felt this level of disgust after a rape scene (occurring in a far better manga than SAO can ever aspire to be), and that experience left me very nearly mentally broken and resulted in probable depression.  I think the biggest thing that disgusts me about this scene is that it's probably meaningless to the story.  While I can't be certain of that (I've not been watching SAO Season 3, so someone correct me if I'm wrong), the fact that it's SAO, as well as how mad people are getting over it, lead me to think that such is the case.  And if that IS, the case, then that means the scene could just be cut and nothing would be lost.  Whatever little development that may have happened could easily have happened elsewhere.  Which means Reki probably wrote this rape scene for one or more of these reasons:

1. To show a male character acting manly and saving helpless female characters

2. To add cheap drama

3. For fanservice

Absolutely none of these are EVER good reasons to write a rape scene, and Reki should be ashamed of himself for thinking otherwise.

I'll probably watch SAO III if it comes to Toonami, but I'll find it difficult to watch a (probably) uncensored version of that scene again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1