UnevenEdge

Netflix is going to stream the original Evangelion, and everyone's already losing their minds.

Blatch

8 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

2014 was around the time that localization was becoming a hot button topic. Subs fans namely don't like Funimation. Reason being is that they heavily localize the subs as well. So if they localize a character to say "Yo that's Wack" then the subs are going to say it as well. This ruins what people consider to be the integrity of the message. Funimation isn't alone in this as ADV did this as well with Eva. One scene that stands out has Shinji saying "Father did that" in Japanese, however in English he says "Bullshit! My Father Did that?". So if you asked people at the time many would say that localization is a bad thing not understanding entirely what they were saying themselves.  In truth Japanese is so different you pretty much have to rewrite a whole sentence that has a similar meaning; few things will ever just transfer over like it would with german or spainish to english. Like saying something as simple as "I'm going out to the store" would be closer to "Going to Store" in Japanese. It's a context based language so you wouldn't use  the word I or I'm, as the person you're talking with would understand the context that you're leaving. You don't have to say out; because that is just unnecessary to say, we know the store is out. However in English that doesn't sound right. It's almost impossible to express meaning in English without pronouns and adjectives. 

bb4.jpg

Yeah, they had to add extra syllables because it takes longer to say the same thing in Japanese. I would personally not choose "bullshit".

That last one's wrong. 4Kids would paint over them so they would wear hoodies.

6 hours ago, Jman said:

The old dub sucked too.  This just sucks for different reasons.

This is what a lot of people are missing. I've seen a lot of people getting defensive about the actors who apparently aren't that bad (I still haven't heard any of it) when in reality there are much deeper issues causing the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jman said:

You know that’s an indirect reference to the sarin gas cult, right?

yes, however the Japanese Raw did not designate a north American Political Affiliation to the cult.....the new dub does....which considering the other changes.....feels questionable

Now that the dust has settled on the controversy with the new dub, I... don't think it's a big deal. The complainers have a point with the more literal script, but a lot of this can be chalked up to them being too attached to an old dub that made some questionable changes. This isn't even the first time things like Kaworu's sexuality have been messed with; a later release from ADV made similar changes to their own script.

As someone who's never seen Eva (heresy, I know), I mostly care about the new dub being well acted and not having many snafus like the "Third Children" change. I'll get to watching Netflix's treatment eventually, because it must be decent and probably the best we'll get going forward.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Blatch said:

Now that the dust has settled on the controversy with the new dub, I... don't think it's a big deal. The complainers have a point with the more literal script, but a lot of this can be chalked up to them being too attached to an old dub that made some questionable changes. This isn't even the first time things like Kaworu's sexuality have been messed with; a later release from ADV made similar changes to their own script.

As someone who's never seen Eva (heresy, I know), I mostly care about the new dub being well acted and not having many snafus like the "Third Children" change. I'll get to watching Netflix's treatment eventually, because it must be decent and probably the best we'll get going forward.

It is overall a better acted dub than the ADV and if you never saw the original I think it's perfectly fine to step in.

The problem is mainly only for people like me who've seen the old dub and vastly prefer some of the punched up dialogue in place of some stilted, very formal, very Japanese lines that were translated a bit too literally in the Netflix dub to sound natural in English (a lot of the Asuka stuff suffers because of this).

• Like 1