UnevenEdge

Netflix is going to stream the original Evangelion, and everyone's already losing their minds.

Blatch

57 minutes ago, Ric said:

Now you're on the ignore list.

Nah....
you probably were already.

I was. I got the implication that was the case from a previous thread.

29 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I didn't think it was an own, let alone a big one, but thanks for the kind words.

Of course. Anyone who calls anyone else out on lacking basic reading comprehension - something Elfie happens to forget every now and again - is good in my book.

Also, thanks to the mods for deleting my two double-posts and my comment on such.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Has there not been any announcement of the new cast yet?  I guess it still is kind of early, but for a property as big as EVA, I expected that Netflix was going to be hyping it up all they can.

It is a 20 year old series.  My guess is that means the voice cast is no one special (i.e. no stunt casting) so they don’t need to scream it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also, a comparison between my VA predictions (regular text color) and the actual VAs (red):

• Shinji Ikari: Zach Aguilar / Casey Mongillo
  • Rei Ayanami: Xanthe Huynh / Ryan Bartley
  • Asuka Langley Soryu: Cherami Leigh / Stephanie McKeon
  • Misato Katsuragi: Erica Lindbeck / Carrie Keranen
  • Gendo Ikari: John Demita (uncredited) / Ray Chase
  • Ritsuko Akagi: Katelyn Gault / Erica Lindbeck
  • Ryoji Kaji: Xander Mobus / Greg Chun
  • Kozo Fuyutsuki: Steve Kramer / JP Karliak
  • Toji Suzuhara: Kyle Hebert / Johnny Yong Bosch
  • Kensuke Aida: Brian Beacock / Ben Diskin
  • Hikari Horaki: Jennifer Losi / uncredited
  • Kaworu Nagisa: Robbie Daymond / uncredited

Welp, that's nothing for nothing.

Just so we're keeping tabs:

- Fly Me to the Moon is gone

- We're now calling the "Third Child" by the Engrish translation's "Third Children"

- Tiffany Grant confirmed that she actually had to re-audition for Asuka. Instead, Netflix went for an actress who did a Tiffany Grant impersonation.

- All of the seasoned voice actors (Ray Chase, Erika Lindbeck, Ben Diskin, Clifford Chapin, Johnny Yong Fucking Bosch) were given supporting/minor roles.

- They retranslated End of Eva too so "I'm so fucked up" is now "I'm the lowest of the low"

- Many decisions in the direction and scripting of the Netflix dub that take the impact and bite out of scenes. Some of these may have been liberties that ADV took with the original Japanese script, but lose the nuances and subtext that otherwise gave meaning to many of these scenes.

I've only watched the last scene of the Netflix dub so I'll have to watch more to see if anything about the performances rubs my rhubarb, but going off the one clip below, the only voice that is outright egregious to me is their version of Asuka. KaiserNeko also has a ton of clips on his Twitter page and I still need to go through them, but so far, I don't think the voices are too bad.

Getting used to the changes could have been easier if the behind the scenes material didn't involve shitting on the old cast and pushing out a dub that cut corners and thought very little of seeing if there were things from the ADV dub's script they could've used to help lines/material flow more naturally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Also, a comparison between my VA predictions (regular text color) and the actual VAs (red):

• Shinji Ikari: Zach Aguilar / Casey Mongillo
  • Rei Ayanami: Xanthe Huynh / Ryan Bartley
  • Asuka Langley Soryu: Cherami Leigh / Stephanie McKeon
  • Misato Katsuragi: Erica Lindbeck / Carrie Keranen
  • Gendo Ikari: John Demita (uncredited) / Ray Chase
  • Ritsuko Akagi: Katelyn Gault / Erica Lindbeck
  • Ryoji Kaji: Xander Mobus / Greg Chun
  • Kozo Fuyutsuki: Steve Kramer / JP Karliak
  • Toji Suzuhara: Kyle Hebert / Johnny Yong Bosch
  • Kensuke Aida: Brian Beacock / Ben Diskin
  • Hikari Horaki: Jennifer Losi / uncredited
  • Kaworu Nagisa: Robbie Daymond / uncredited

Welp, that's nothing for nothing.

I gotta say we got everything we were wondering about answered, and it's still underwhelming.  All these actors are great but for some reason there's ..... really nothing to talk about except how JYB is still in dubs. Ryan Bartley is the only actor of the first 3 on that list that I even HEARD of! And really? They couldn't get the rights to Fly Me To The Moon??  That's iconic by now.

...... wow Netflix. I ................................... just ... wow....

Considering that Netflix did virtually nothing to promote this show (even if outside hype powered it ahead, which might have been the point), it shouldn't be surprising that they managed to fuck up something. They're banking on you being too starved to care. :|

Ok, so the original script had the idea that Kawrou was ambiguous owing to his ambiguous nature (you know, not being human!)   The idea that said ambiguity made the connection subtext rather than text was supposed to highlight Shinji’s confusion.

So of course the Twitter imbeciles whine and moan about it because this is 2019 and fuck all of them.

12 minutes ago, Jman said:

Ok, so the original script had the idea that Kawrou was ambiguous owing to his ambiguous nature (you know, not being human!)   The idea that said ambiguity made the connection subtext rather than text was supposed to highlight Shinji’s confusion.

So of course the Twitter imbeciles whine and moan about it because this is 2019 and fuck all of them.

the guy who wrote the script of the netflix dub is a fan of lolicon, so, there's also that

7 hours ago, Blatch said:

Considering that Netflix did virtually nothing to promote this show (even if outside hype powered it ahead, which might have been the point), it shouldn't be surprising that they managed to fuck up something. They're banking on you being too starved to care. :|

They do nothing to promote ANY anime, ya dinkis dongis!! :D:D

Someone cared to post the end credits image. Apparently, Carrie Keranen is not only Misato, but she adapted, co-wrote and co-directed the dub. She says this was the reason she was less online for 7 months. Sad.

Edited by elfie

46 minutes ago, Jman said:

You don’t throw out an accusation like that without receipts.

he apparently defended it in an interview a while ago....and skimming his twitter there's at least one.....questionable, retweet.....I'm not linking but....there's receipts....the outrage is warranted

Alright, that’s fine.

The context of the scene apparently is still homoerotic but confused because Karwou is well...Karwou.  The outrage is unwarranted as a representation issue IMO because the outlying homoeroticism is there, which is admittedly the point.

Edited by Jman

19 minutes ago, Jman said:

Alright, that’s fine.

The context of the scene apparently is still homoerotic but confused because Karwou is well...Karwou.  The outrage is unwarranted as a representation issue IMO because the outlying homoeroticism is there, which is admittedly the point.

you could make the same argument about making Uranus and Neptune call eachother cousins in the 90's dub of sailor moon but it was still an attempt at erasing a gay romance 

Digging through conversations with the translators and full blame on this one is Studio Khara.  They insisted on literal translations and were incredibly hands on during the dubbing process.

This actually does make sense.  Remember 3.0 and how they essentially threw the dub out, fired all the actors by proxy and told FUNi to start over?

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

All I know about Khara's problem with 3.33 was that they thought the dub was way meaner to Shinji than was necessary.

The material they gave was people yelling at him and threatening to blow his head up. ADR kind just worked with what they gave them. Did they want them to 4kids it? 

Misato - Shinji if you give me any reason; I'm going to send your head to the next dimension. 

Shinji - Everyone; they've all gone to the shadow realm and it's all my fault! 

• Confused 1

As for the Netflix voice cast a lot of that cast sound horrible. For whatever reason Shinji, Re, Asuka, and Kensuke sound like they have some sort of pitch tune added to their voice. Misato actually sounds close enough; but if you're trying to mimic a voice actor who is available then why not just hire the voice actor. Asuka and Rei sound like chipmunks most of the time. This seriously has to be a pitch edit done by the ADR to make them sound more "child like". My guess is that someone on the ADR staff has 14 year old kids and said "Kids don't sound like this they need to be higher pitched and whiny" then pitched the audio.  A lot of the audio comes off as very armature; as if this is a fan dub. Due to them messing with audio pitch you can actually hear differences in the microphones being used between each character. It's like if you're watching an abridged series and you can pick out the poor member of the cast by their horrible audio setup of a tin can some wires and a potato that doesn't match anyone else. 

As for fly me to the moon being gone. I did see this coming due to licensing issues. If you used the sub then you'd have to work out a deal with Gainax for the rights to use their voice actors audio, and a deal with whoever owns the rights to fly me to the moon. If they wanted to sing it themselves then they'd have to get rights for the song either way. Music rights are a damn cancer when it comes to media distribution. There are a lot of small and big TV shows from the 80s and 90s that will never see a physical release due to using so many licensed songs. 

• Confused 1

so far ive only seen the 1st ep of the netflix NGE (though ive seen the full series and movies before) and im not bothered by the dub. but then again, honestly? i wasnt that big of a fan of the original dub anyways. it was ok. i think i only watched like some of it dubbed then switched to subbed. 

its strange though, that they would censor it, i mean they had devilman crybaby in all its entirety so why censor NGE?

kinda bummed out they didnt have fly me to the moon, but they kept the OP and the OP is like life to me. so im still pretty happy.

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I think I got you and CrazyAnimePunk to watch part of it and we talked on AIM. Yinz weren't really into it lol. 

really? thats possible. i know at one point i watched the whole series on my own. but i do feel like the start of the series kinda comes off as like this sorta normal-ish anime? so at first ur kinda like eh its ok...but then it gets crazy later on haha. i know i saw it here and there before i finally sat down to watch all of it at one point.

4 hours ago, Cidz said:

so far ive only seen the 1st ep of the netflix NGE (though ive seen the full series and movies before) and im not bothered by the dub. but then again, honestly? i wasnt that big of a fan of the original dub anyways. it was ok. i think i only watched like some of it dubbed then switched to subbed. 

its strange though, that they would censor it, i mean they had devilman crybaby in all its entirety so why censor NGE?

kinda bummed out they didnt have fly me to the moon, but they kept the OP and the OP is like life to me. so im still pretty happy.

Same here on the dub, I've watched one episode and it seems alright. 

I never really cared for Fly Me to the Moon in the first place.

• D'oh 1

apparently the netflix dub also changed the line where Shinji begs Asuka to help him into a generic love confession

D92nc9mXYAA4jdZ.jpg

which is especially stupid since she throws boiling coffee on him and he strangles her at the end of this scene

Image result for evangelion shinji strangles asuka

Edited by mochi

4 hours ago, mochi said:

apparently the netflix dub also changed the line where Shinji begs Asuka to help him into a generic love confession

D92nc9mXYAA4jdZ.jpg

which is especially stupid since she throws boiling coffee on him and he strangles her at the end of this scene

Image result for evangelion shinji strangles asuka

You are aware of the reason why this dub is so ridiculously literal?

On 6/23/2019 at 6:32 AM, MasqueradeOverture said:

If there's anyone you should thank for the stilted Netflix script and dearth of original actors, it's the crowd at the Otakon screen of 3.0.

You did this EVA fans. You did this.

No. It was the fault of Khara not getting how Americans behave in a movie theater and acting on a backwards, blinded theory that Funimation did a crappy job, and going on the assumption that if Funimation couldn't adapt a Khara title well ONCE, they must not know how to localize ANY Khara title.

Edited by elfie

2014 was around the time that localization was becoming a hot button topic. Subs fans namely don't like Funimation. Reason being is that they heavily localize the subs as well. So if they localize a character to say "Yo that's Wack" then the subs are going to say it as well. This ruins what people consider to be the integrity of the message. Funimation isn't alone in this as ADV did this as well with Eva. One scene that stands out has Shinji saying "Father did that" in Japanese, however in English he says "Bullshit! My Father Did that?". So if you asked people at the time many would say that localization is a bad thing not understanding entirely what they were saying themselves.  In truth Japanese is so different you pretty much have to rewrite a whole sentence that has a similar meaning; few things will ever just transfer over like it would with german or spainish to english. Like saying something as simple as "I'm going out to the store" would be closer to "Going to Store" in Japanese. It's a context based language so you wouldn't use  the word I or I'm, as the person you're talking with would understand the context that you're leaving. You don't have to say out; because that is just unnecessary to say, we know the store is out. However in English that doesn't sound right. It's almost impossible to express meaning in English without pronouns and adjectives. 

bb4.jpg

• Like 3