UnevenEdge

Netflix is going to stream the original Evangelion, and everyone's already losing their minds.

Blatch

1 minute ago, elfie said:

Huh.

So all dub actors are D-listers.

In 1997, when ADV employed non-union talent for a dub that was often held up as what was wrong with dubs?  

Let’s just say standards have come a long way in 20 years.

That’s weird. The dub might have a little age to it and not as much polish, but it’s the version everyone already knows. The three remake movies also brought back almost the entire cast so Americans have already had 15 years of familiarity with the cast. Akira and pre-Miramax/Disney Ghibli films could get away with it because obscure anime dubs had barely any mass exposure from the public before Disney or Bang Zoom/Streamline came in to the rescue. Or with Sailor Moon, the rerun worked to amend the 90’s-isms and political correctness that sanitized numerous characters’ storylines. With Eva, the English dub that’s being replaced is the one that everyone knows and doesn’t need to be fundamentally fixed other than a couple pitchy delivery errors from Shinji or Misato’s lines.

As with most redubs, it’ll be interesting to see how it goes, but it’ll also be way more jarring because of the uncanny valley that comes from hearing a fresh polished contemporary dub of an older grainier anime. 

• Like 2

i was happy bc recently i had been trying to get a couple coworkers to watch it. especially one after he watched FMA brotherhood and said he enjoyed it bc hes into philosophy so i was like well if u like philosophy have u checked out neon genesis evangelion??

and another one is a weeb too but a newer weeb so he hasnt rly seen much older anime. 

and im happy bc i havent seen that anime in quite awhile and i rly enjoyed it. tho idk about remaking the dub? well maybe? shinji was kinda a bit too whiney for me in the original dub. also i think i watched the sub anyways? im not sure i prolly flipped. either or...

but dat live action cowboy bebop eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....i saw what they did with death note sooo iddddddddkkkkkkk. maybe. 

4 hours ago, elfie said:

awfully Salty since they gave the finger to Toonami by signing that Hulu deal AND had every god damn chance to relicence Eva themselves and just never did

1 hour ago, Hachiman said:

oh please, Funimation sold out when they went Hulu exclusive after leaving Crunchy. i ain't shelling out money for another streaming service that i'll never use more than twice a month, i got Netflix for that.

I guess my other problem with what this article is saying is that Funimation still has videos on their own site and their apps!  So to me that doesn't define "exclusivity".

53 minutes ago, elfie said:

But Jman and Hachiman are saying the same thing as Mochi is!

No, I’m saying he’s a hypocrite going on about how anime can’t stand out on a service like Netflix RIGHT AFTER THE INK DRIED ON A DEAL WITH THEIR RIVALS.

You know, I think Mr. Fukunaga has a point here, but it's misinformed. Companies other than Netflix have snuffed out what should've been tremendously popular shows with a lack of advertising. Just look at Crunchyroll and Planet With. On top of that, it's hard for any one show to make it to the top of the heap when there is so much fucking anime to watch across the entire industry. Shows from opposite services can often cancel each other out. If Evangelion doesn't make much of a splash with the anime community at large when the new dub premieres, I'm sure that'll be attributable to viewers being occupied with stuff like the newest trashy isekai show of the week (of the season) more than a lack of advertising.

We need to spare the complaining about how one particular company is screwed up when these problems stretch across the entire industry... but why do that when Netflix has Back Street Girls available to stream right now? Thanks, I love it.

• Like 1

These are definitely the salad days when it comes to pure, raw content.  It’s available everywhere, and it’s legal.  Ideally, the cream rises to the top when it’s publicized and has material to bounce off of.  The question is does dedicating a lot of time to EVA but putting it on a smaller outlet attract more or less attention than bringing some attention and airing it next to Friends?

On 12/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, Jman said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-12-05/original-eva-english-cast-petition-to-re-dub-series-for-netflix/.140411

The original cast of D listers is petitioning to be part of the redub.  Personally I rather Netflix just hired people from their other shows, like one of the Stranger Things kids as Shinji.

.......you say that like it would be bad but those kids ARE actors and are around Shinji's actual age so it'd stand the possibility of being okay if they did that

On 12/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, Jman said:

Personally I rather Netflix just hired people from their other shows, like one of the Stranger Things kids as Shinji.

they're having the kids from Stranger things do voices in the Carmen Sandiego reboot...........so you might be spot on

20 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

But Carmen Sandiego isn't anime.

I bet you anything Netflix goes for Bang Zoom or another L.A.-based studio well-versed in anime for this dub. Like, I'm 99.9% positive that's what's gonna happen.

Where’s the fun in that?

37 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

But Carmen Sandiego isn't anime.

I bet you anything Netflix goes for Bang Zoom or another L.A.-based studio well-versed in anime for this dub. Like, I'm 99.9% positive that's what's gonna happen.

carmensandigelion.JPG

it's sorta trying to LOOK like anime though

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

..... KIND-a.  The style is less evident there, but it's clearly inspired by it.

well Pink Diamond sort of looks anime-ish

image.thumb.png.9be264212e615162938b12e71b2e84c6.png

but I think she more closely resembles a Disney princess

little-mermaid-live-action-920x518.jpg

everybody else looks like they escaped from Dexter's laboratory

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 1:00 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Fun Fact: Renaissance Disney characters had their basic body and facial structures modeled after anime from the 70's & 80's.

So yes, what the US has been doing for original animation in terms of looking like anime is nothing new.

which is rather amusing since Osamu Tezuka said the anime style he created was trying to copy Disney's style

image.png.9eb9245918d0ec13356d4f389ff440dd.png

So Basically the modern Disney Style is a copy of a copy of their own style

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It's confirmed everyone was replaced.

Again, I'll chalk it up to Khara banning the actors from returning after the whole Rebuild 3.0 fiasco.

To me the Rebuild fiasco was waiting a half hour at a con to see the movie dubbed because something screwy happened behind the scenes, all while being tired and succombing to food poisoning. THat's the only fiasco toward that movie I ever want.

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It's confirmed everyone was replaced.

Again, I'll chalk it up to Khara banning the actors from returning after the whole Rebuild 3.0 fiasco.

Unfortunate but understandable.

PREDICTIONS (assuming a Bang Zoom! dub)

• Shinji Ikari: Zach Aguilar
  • Rei Ayanami: Xanthe Huynh
  • Asuka Langley Soryu: Cherami Leigh
  • Misato Katsuragi: Erica Lindbeck
  • Gendo Ikari: John Demita (uncredited)
  • Ritsuko Akagi: Katelyn Gault
  • Ryoji Kaji: Xander Mobus
  • Kozo Fuyutsuki: Steve Kramer
  • Toji Suzuhara: Kyle Hebert
  • Kensuke Aida: Brian Beacock
  • Hikari Horaki: Jennifer Losi
  • Kaworu Nagisa: Robbie Daymond

Watch me get only one or two of these right, like with Baccano! and Kill la Kill.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, elfie said:

Netflix just announced they'll "have no choice but to run ads".

This is the end. It CANNOT be a coincidence that this news came only a few weeks after Disney unveiled details about Disney+.

...Netflix themselves didn’t say that.  Industry executives are predicting that.  Don’t do that!

45 minutes ago, elfie said:

Netflix just announced they'll "have no choice but to run ads".

This is the end. It CANNOT be a coincidence that this news came only a few weeks after Disney unveiled details about Disney+.

No they didn't.

Why would they change something based on a streaming service that doesn't launch until November? I mean sure they might change something based on how Disney+ does but they'd be stupid to do anything now before waiting to see how that launch goes.

• Like 2

What part of 'industry execs' means 'Netflix execs'??? I'm pretty sure someone who works at YouTube isn't making decisions for Netflix. There have been analysts saying Netflix is going to run ads for years. And even if they do decide to introduce ads they will most likely copy Hulu's model of "super cheap with some ads or slightly more expensive with no ads". It's not the end of the world. It's a goddamn 20 second ad.

• Like 2