UnevenEdge

Netflix is going to stream the original Evangelion, and everyone's already losing their minds.

Blatch

On 11/26/2018 at 11:24 PM, Daos said:

Why, stomach problems?

It's more the realization that combining large amounts of caffeine and ADHD medicine (I take Vyvanse) is probably not healthy and killing me in some small way, even if it makes me feel good. Heck, there have been several occasions where I've drank a whole can of Monster with that stuff and got a nosebleed. O.o

But to get back to the topic, I've only seen the Rebuild movies for this series, and only about half of 2.22, as that was when it aired back on Toonami, I didn't want to stay up until 5:00 a.m. to finish it, and I didn't have a DVR then. So hey, this seems like a good idea... at least until somebody puts out English BDs.

Why would ppl be losing their minds? I for one found the story to be kinda fucking weird and didn't take the time out of my day to read up on all of the summaries for what occurred in the final set of episodes; therefore, I never really got what happened 

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Dude, Evangelion's super fucking popular and the original series hasn't seen a re-release in the decade since ADV imploded. This is a big deal, regardless of whether or not you personally understood it.

It was also rumored that Khara didn't want to re-license the show for other countries until the final Rebuild movie was ready to release. This seemingly implies that it's coming soon, although I haven't seen anyone talk about it in relation.

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

It was also rumored that Khara didn't want to re-license the show for other countries until the final Rebuild movie was ready to release. This seemingly implies that it's coming soon, although I haven't seen anyone talk about it in relation.

.... is THAT what happened!?

.... they dO KNOW they're dealing with .......... HIDEKI ANNO .... right?!??!???

I'm glad this series will be available for a newer generation in at least SOME legal form.  It's one of the most influential anime ever made, for better or for worse.  Though, precisely because so many series have aped its concepts and characters, I imagine there will be some people who think it's "unoriginal" despite being the OG... (kinda like how some newer viewers don't see anything special about JoJo --- because some of the tropes it invented and popularized are so common by now).  

Some Eva fans are unbearably pretentious and toxic twats, that's undeniable.  But I can say that for me personally, it's one of my favorites.  At the time I first watched it, I was going through a period of extreme depression and was essentially a NEET, so that might have made a difference --- but really, I had never seen an anime that managed to encapsulate depression itself in such a way.  (Anno was struggling through depression and a lot of disgust towards the industry when he made it amd EoE, and it's really obvious.  EoE is pretty much a giant middle finger to all the whiny nerds who bitched about the original ending). 

And on that note, I liked the TV ending, fundamentally it had a positive message.  The series doesn't end with some big battle, but inside Shinji's own mind, with him finally accepting himself and the value of his own existence, and choosing to reject Instrumentality and live in reality.  It's still a simple but powerful message to this day in Japan, where people literally work themselves to death, are so lonely and socially isolated that people refusing to leave their houses and preferring waifus over human beings are documented social phenomena, which has one of the highest suicide rates and lowest birth rates in the world.  

Hits a little too close to home for the otaku audience it was aimed at though, which is probably why some of them got triggered and sent Anno death threats.  ;)  Much easier to run away from your miserable life into media escapism!  See: the current glut of "generic self insert nerd escapes into another world and becomes cool and powerful" titles.  

Anyway, it's certainly not perfect or as "deep" as many of the fans try to make it sound, with many unlikable (by design) characters, but the Eva experience was very therapeutic and cathartic for me, so it still holds a place in my heart.  Which is why I'll hang on to my long OoP boxsets even though they're going for a decent amount of money now.  🤣

Feeling a little uneasy about the supposed redub though...I'll keep an open mind, but I'm skeptical.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winter_Rain said:

I'm glad this series will be available for a newer generation in at least SOME legal form.  It's one of the most influential anime ever made, for better or for worse.  Though, precisely because so many series have aped its concepts and characters, I imagine there will be some people who think it's "unoriginal" despite being the OG... (kinda like how some newer viewers don't see anything special about JoJo --- because some of the tropes it invented and popularized are so common by now).  

Some Eva fans are unbearably pretentious and toxic twats, that's undeniable.  But I can say that for me personally, it's one of my favorites.  At the time I first watched it, I was going through a period of extreme depression and was essentially a NEET, so that might have made a difference --- but really, I had never seen an anime that managed to encapsulate depression itself in such a way.  (Anno was struggling through depression and a lot of disgust towards the industry when he made it amd EoE, and it's really obvious.  EoE is pretty much a giant middle finger to all the whiny nerds who bitched about the original ending). 

And on that note, I liked the TV ending, fundamentally it had a positive message.  The series doesn't end with some big battle, but inside Shinji's own mind, with him finally accepting himself and the value of his own existence, and choosing to reject Instrumentality and live in reality.  It's still a simple but powerful message to this day in Japan, where people literally work themselves to death, are so lonely and socially isolated that people refusing to leave their houses and preferring waifus over human beings are documented social phenomena, which has one of the highest suicide rates and lowest birth rates in the world.  

Hits a little too close to home for the otaku audience it was aimed at though, which is probably why some of them got triggered and sent Anno death threats.  ;)  Much easier to run away from your miserable life into media escapism!  See: the current glut of "generic self insert nerd escapes into another world and becomes cool and powerful" titles.  

Anyway, it's certainly not perfect or as "deep" as many of the fans try to make it sound, with many unlikable (by design) characters, but the Eva experience was very therapeutic and cathartic for me, so it still holds a place in my heart.  Which is why I'll hang on to my long OoP boxsets even though they're going for a decent amount of money now.  🤣

Feeling a little uneasy about the supposed redub though...I'll keep an open mind, but I'm skeptical.  

I never saw what the fuss was about it, probably because I saw it many years after it was released. But from talking to people over the years, it really struck a chord with people that were depressed when they saw it.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:21 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Oh.

Oh no...

Original cast wasn't even asked back. Fucking Hell.

well that's upsetting

cringeworth-socially-awkward-anime-chara

guess we're getting a bang-zoom ent. redub of Eva

which....bang Zoom's not a bad company....just sort of unfair to the original cast

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

If it's Bang Zoom and not Spliced Bread/VSI, there is a chance they could get Spike Spencer back.

and maybe that Viz actress who sounds EXACTLY like Tiffany Grant for Asuka

(Y'know the one who was the green chick in One Punch man)

as for Rei, and I don't mean this as an insult to Amanda Winn lee...literally ANYONE could play Rei.....all they have to do is speak entirely in whispers, because that's kinda her entire portrayal, just a creepy girl who's always whispering and can't express emotions

13 minutes ago, elfie said:

At the very least they should get as much of the original dub cast back as possible.

And the original dub itself should be made available again, if possible. Look at what Funi did with their new Escaflowne set; the first dub produced was edited, and far from perfect overall, but it was worth preserving for historical purposes as well as consumption by the people who like it.

Edited by Blatch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Blatch said:

And the original dub itself should be made available again, if possible. Look at what Funi did with their new Escaflowne set; the first dub produced was edited, and far from perfect overall, but it was worth preserving for historical purposes as well as consumption by the people who like it.

I mean the new actors in the Rebuild films were great too.  Brina probably sounded the least like the first actor for Rei though.

12 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Anyone think after the Rebuild 3.1 incident (where Funimation was forced to redo that dub from scratch) that Khara actively asked Netflix not to have those actors return for the series redub?

That's...actually a really good point. 

I kinda wonder if this is going to lead to Rebuild getting a redub as well.  I imagine yes if they get a celebrity cast, no if it's just regular VA's.

as a side note if Bang Zoom does end up being the Studio they use for their (unnecessary) redub, then they might cast Stephanie Sheh as Misato

which would mean that the roles would be voiced by matching VA's, as Kotono Mitsuishi and Stephanie Sheh both voiced Sailor Moon

On 12/1/2018 at 1:02 AM, Daos said:

I never saw what the fuss was about it, probably because I saw it many years after it was released. But from talking to people over the years, it really struck a chord with people that were depressed when they saw it.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.  

It also helps that I was able to just simply watch it for what it was without any preformed opinions about whether I "should" like it or not.  I had  a general idea of the storyline and some of the characters, and mostly watched it because it's a very well known and influential series and I wanted to have that frame of reference.  I like watching some of the older shows that blazed the trail for later series.  (That's one reason why remakes like Devilman Crybaby and the licensing and adaptation of some older series are really good trends imo --- they're bringing classics to a new generation of viewers).  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 11:47 AM, PokeNirvash said:

Ehh, Sheh's voice is a little high for Misato. Someone with a slightly older-sounding carefree voice like Allegra Clark or Erika Harlacher would fit Misato better, I feel.

Sheh's voice doesn't have to be high, and Misato's japanese voice is very high