Jump to content
UnevenEdge
Sign in to follow this  
Sawdamizer

Game of Thrones Season 8 spoilers

Recommended Posts

Not joking, serious possible spoilers about the whole season and not just episode 1.

Spoiler

Bran become king, Sansa is queen. Jamie and Cersei die in the redkeep when it falls apart from the hound and mountain fighting. Jon kills Daenerys after she goes batshit crazy because he doesn't hook up with her anymore.

My buddy shot retakes for them.

This thread will also be for the weekly episode show discussions.

Edited by Admin_Raptorpat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen spoilers and the ones I have seen I believe because of some of the hints from the show and because they go in line with what the show would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 10:23 PM, DBZ4ever said:

I've seen spoilers and the ones I have seen I believe because of some of the hints from the show and because they go in line with what the show would do.

What are you trying to say mister?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I more believe the set of spoilers that claim

Spoiler

That she will die in childbirth. I can so see that honestly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow episode... But the subtle snark was fun.

Tree God Bran - "I'm waiting for a friend"

Jamie Lannister - "surely no one will recognize me NOW in Winterfell"

Tree God Bran - "sup, kingslayer"

 

Sam - "I had the high septums diary... And Bran has... Whatever it is he has"

 

Sansa - "that wedding had it's moments" *smirking side eye*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SorceressPol said:

It is weird not having his summaries anymore. :(

Ya, when I gave my quick summary on what I liked, I made myself sad because he would break it down so differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gf never saw the show so we started watching from the beginning a few weeks ago (the ep we watched earlier today was the red wedding, which is probably peak GOT).

I say that because I just solo watched episode 8.1, and going from 3.9 to 8.1 feels like watching two entirely different shows with two totally different tones that just happen to have the same characters. One where anyone can die unceremoniously, with a dozen plot threads at once, and another that feels almost like one of those current reboots of old 90s shows, with all the main plot-shield characters together reminiscing about things (between out of place joke drops) that happened before the show ended the first time.

I don't know how much of it is me literally watching this immediately after binging old episodes, or the actual delay before this final season, or just the inevitable result of having to tie up a massive multi-arc series (built on subverting traditional expectations) in a way that has a traditional narrative conclusion with finality. Or maybe it's just the different intro throwing me off.

Like I can't necessarily put my finger on it, but a lot of it felt really forced - like Arya had at least three "major" reunions, except without the emotional weight of even one major reunion. Maybe it's the nature of not having source material beyond the big bullet points, and I think GRRM is so despondent over writing because of how difficult it is for him to naturally draw it all down together.

The other thing, and one of the few things that jumped out in my memory from the last season, was that I find Dany had a personality change that is completely off-putting. Maybe it's a natural progression that I missed, or maybe it's intentional because she's gonna go cry or something, I don't know.

At minimum, it will probably be at least another three weeks before we've binged through the rest of the show, so for the next few weeks I'll have this "experiment" going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

My gf never saw the show so we started watching from the beginning a few weeks ago (the ep we watched earlier today was the red wedding, which is probably peak GOT).

I say that because I just solo watched episode 8.1, and going from 3.9 to 8.1 feels like watching two entirely different shows with two totally different tones that just happen to have the same characters. One where anyone can die unceremoniously, with a dozen plot threads at once, and another that feels almost like one of those current reboots of old 90s shows, with all the main plot-shield characters together reminiscing about things (between out of place joke drops) that happened before the show ended the first time.

I don't know how much of it is me literally watching this immediately after binging old episodes, or the actual delay before this final season, or just the inevitable result of having to tie up a massive multi-arc series (built on subverting traditional expectations) in a way that has a traditional narrative conclusion with finality. Or maybe it's just the different intro throwing me off.

Like I can't necessarily put my finger on it, but a lot of it felt really forced - like Arya had at least three "major" reunions, except without the emotional weight of even one major reunion. Maybe it's the nature of not having source material beyond the big bullet points, and I think GRRM is so despondent over writing because of how difficult it is for him to naturally draw it all down together.

The other thing, and one of the few things that jumped out in my memory from the last season, was that I find Dany had a personality change that is completely off-putting. Maybe it's a natural progression that I missed, or maybe it's intentional because she's gonna go cry or something, I don't know.

At minimum, it will probably be at least another three weeks before we've binged through the rest of the show, so for the next few weeks I'll have this "experiment" going.

The red part is really accurate about how these later seasons have been.

I went and watched popular youtube videos uploaded since last night, and you know what? Zero temptation to watch a full episode. The opening credits,

Spoiler

Bran staring down Jaime, and Sam getting that emotional gut punch during his meeting with Daenerys were the only scenes that I enjoyed.

 

Edited by SorceressPol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do they keep trying to convince us Sansa is smart and out maneuvered everyone who used her? Do they think we haven't been watching the show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is this is game of thrones discussion thread now?

If so, my thoughts on the last episode. It was what I expected. More reunions and building up. I actually think this next episode won't have too much either. I think it will be more buildup and episode 3 is when it will hit the fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this episode kind of felt like part two of last week.

There are just too many reunions and character matchups, so they had to break it into two hours. 

Only a few characters have had the time in these two episodes to show off much depth. Tormund is just 100% comic relief at this point.

Also going to throw it out there that I didn't need to see the sex scene, it could have done a hard cut much, much sooner.

Next week is going to be the big battle that these two hours (and I suppose the entire long-burn subplot beginning with the prologue). Either half the cast is going to die at minimum or the narrative will have completely abandoned its roots in an effort to swiftly conclude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

I don't even have the motivation to look up clips from this week's episode. 

don't. the only real payoff in this ep was the big reveal to dany about jon's lineage. well, the scene where brienne was knighted was also kinda fulfilling. and when bran said to jamie "the things we do for love" i let out a chuckle. but that's really it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The show definitely went from a somewhat grounded political medieval fantasy to something more akin to an action adventure with clear-cut good and evil. It's become a pop culture machination -- one where we're expected to 'stan our queen' and blow our shit every episode with some grand revelation. The measured pacing and intricacies ended with George, who started the books with serious intention rather than what we're getting with writers handling what is essentially a big-budget blockbuster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pacing issues seem directly related to how much source material they had to work off of. Like it's kind of obvious even having not read any of the series when they jumped from finished source material to half-written source material, and then from half-written source material to bullet points.

It was as if they made a conscious choice not to flesh it out any more than how it was given to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

The pacing issues seem directly related to how much source material they had to work off of. Like it's kind of obvious even having not read any of the series when they jumped from finished source material to half-written source material, and then from half-written source material to bullet points.

It was as if they made a conscious choice not to flesh it out any more than how it was given to them.

Exactly, and I can't say I blame them. I'm sure the decision not to tinker further was in respect for George and his eventual conclusion.

But also time and budget. I don't think they wanted to do this show any longer than they had to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The counter to that is that things have felt super rushed the past season or so, so like the Jon/Dany relationship didn't feel earned and the many interactions over the past two episodes and even last season felt super forced.

Or like the A-team crew last season that went with Jon when the dragon died and all that. Didn't feel right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×