UnevenEdge

Rate a TV Show

DragonSinger

An episode, a season, a whole series, just go for it.

The Dragon Prince S1

7/10

Spoiler

It might be a slightly higher rating than it deserves because it's pretty generic for a YA fantasy plot, but I've been jonesing to have anything like this for a while. You get like a less well written AtLA vibe from the characters like the MC is your goofy Sokka who is a crappy warrior but learns he's a mage. Elf girl has Katara's spunk, and MC's little brother has Aang's innocence. That's probably why I like the little brother the most out of the three. The real stand-outs are the badass mute auntie and her interpreter. Auntie needs a show all to herself. 

Anyways, the show plays out pretty predictably. Humans and magical creatures hate each other, keep going to war, and humans commit a great crime of killing the king dragon and his egg, but duh duh duuhhhhh....the egg didn't die! *Fake shock face* Yes, it's in the preview, but I want to be dramatic. Speaking of dramatic, the break up scene between hot king and the evil mage was a little over the top. I mean the king went from "You can't sacrifice our citizens" to "YOUR PLACE IS ON YOUR KNEES!" way too quickly. That's probably because The Dragon Prince only had 9 episodes, but that scene and the one afterwards that was set up so the MC wouldn't open the door and have an idea of the king's 'fate' just had no subtlety whatsoever.

Oh and the animation looked better than I expected. The creatures are very well done, and I only got distracted by the weird fingers once or twice.

• 9 months later...

Fortitude Season 1 5.5/10

Spoiler

Initial reactions after seeing a couple episodes of the second season first because I pay attention to nothing: Oh hey, they're being really mean to that governor, and that Dan who's in a coma that everyone was worried about must be a great guy. 

Me after starting the first season properly: Holy shit, that governor, the sheriff(coma dude, a.k.a. GoT dude) and her husband are absolute trash. I have been hoodwinked into feeling sympathy for these bastards! 

It was so painful to watch a show with my favorite mystery horror tropes get watered down by bullshit side stories of all these people's different affairs. When you get to the third character having an affair, I just don't give a shit. Especially, when characters' emotional responses seem bizarre or just dumb. It's so easy to tell that the showrunners have no healthy relationships off screen with how they portrayed their female characters and wasted film time on just men staring at the camera in pain or shock. Just like with the affairs, when you have so many male characters doing this crap, I'm bored and just want to see more polar bears eating people. I probably would have quit halfway through the series if Stanley Tucci hadn't showed up.

I was also annoyed by my pet peeve I like to call the "Magic Pussy" character. This is a woman that men are obsessed with to the point of ruining their lives. Yes, I could just call her a siren, but I have two good siren shows I'm watching and will not sully their names with this. Back on topic, the Magic Pussy character usually has an attempted rape or rape scene because ermergerd, men must have "Magic Pussy". Near the end, I was about to give this show an extra point for not going down the rape scene route, but twenty minutes after I thought this, the show flashbacked to the rape of Magic Pussy chick. 

*Sigh* Yeah, this season killed any chances of me going back to watch the second one. In comparing the two, I could tell that S2E1 had lost a lot of subtlety that the first season had in unraveling the new cause of what was butchering people(the only thing the first season did well), and while I'll sacrifice my standards for Stanley Tucci, not so much for the others.

Edited by SorceressPol

Unedited Footage of a Bear

There's so much for me to love about this. Suburban housing. Garage doors. Street signage. Letterboxing in widescreen. Excellent music and sound design. Direction as kino as any five-star arthouse film. My favorite TV content rating. All brought together to form the best [adult swim] Infomercial this side of Icelandic Ultrablue.

11/10, would and probably will watch again.

Edited by PokeNirvash

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

It's fantastically terrible.

*Goes to google* Ohhh, a 4.6 on IMDB. Scifi shows usually come with a few easily pleased fans to bump them up to a 6, so that means everyone hated it. That's a shame because it's another scifi show(i.e. Pandora) that majorly bombed this season. 

On 8/1/2019 at 6:28 PM, SorceressPol said:

*Goes to google* Ohhh, a 4.6 on IMDB. Scifi shows usually come with a few easily pleased fans to bump them up to a 6, so that means everyone hated it. That's a shame because it's another scifi show(i.e. Pandora) that majorly bombed this season. 

The more I watch, the more baffling it is.

It feels like if the writers were better writers, it could have been legitimately good. But the decisions these characters make are consistently so terrible I just can't even.

My favorite so far was when someone said h es hates being reliant on the computer and that when if went offline they nearlh died because of it, then immediately follows with talking about how he wants to turn it off. Even under the pretense that he's probably being controlled, it went uncontested. The person he said it to.... gave advice on who to go to for that.....

Goddamnit, this show is a beautiful mess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Possessed on Netflix, it's a korean show.

6-7/10 The story took silly turns and to me it felt like they making up the rules of the supernatural stuff as it went along. Overall I still enjoyed it though, I liked the characters. 

Edited by Ric
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...